[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?
  • External Links

  • Herefordshire History and Archaeology site
  • Herefordshire A-L

    Click here for details Click here for details
    A

    Acton Beauchamp
    Actune: Urso from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Isolated; church with Saxon remains.

    Adforton
    Alfertitune: Ralph de Mortimer.
    Near Wigmore Abbey.

    Adley
    Adelestune / Edelactune: Earl Roger; Ralph de Mortimer.
    Lost. Only Adley Manor and Common remain.

    Ailey
    Walelege: Gilbert FitzTurold, formerly Earl Harold. Fortified house.

    Almeley
    Elmelie: Roger de Lacy.
    Castle mound; manor house. Possibly the birthplace of the Lollard martyr, Sir John Oldcastle (d.1417).

    Amberley
    Amburlege: Richard from Ansfrid de Cormeilles.
    15th century Amberley Court.

    Ashe Ingen
    Ascis: King's land; Alfred of Marlborough.
    Ashe Ingen Court.

    Ashperton
    Spertune: Brictwold the Priest from Ralph de Tosny; William FitzBaderon; Ralph from Durand of Gloucester; Madoc from the king.
    Along the Roman road; park; site of a castle, once the seat of the Grandison family. The first Viscount Grandison (of Limerick) was created in 1623.

    Ashton
    Estune: Manor of Leominster formerly Queen Edith.
    Earthworks.

    Aston
    Hesintune: Ralph de Mortimer.
    Site of a castle.

    Aston Ingham
    Estune: Godfrey from Ansfrid de Cormeilles, formerly King Edward. Mill.
    Church with rare lead font.

    Avenbury
    Aweneburn: Nigel the doctor. Mill.
    Farm; ruined church.

    Aymestry
    Elmodestrou: Manor of Leominster; Ralph de Mortimer from the king, formerly Queen Edith.
    On Roman road. At nearby Mortimer's Cross, Edward Duke of York defeated Owen Tudor to become Edward IV.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    B

    Bach
    Becce:
    Lost.

    Bacton
    Bachetune: Gilbert from Roger de Lacy.
    Monument to Blache Parry, lady-in-waiting to Elizabeth I.

    Bagbarrow
    Bageberg:
    Lost.

    Bartestree
    Bertoldestreu: Nigel the Doctor.
    19th century convent.

    Barton
    Bertune: Hereford Church.
    Lost in Hereford.

    Barton (in Kington)
    Beuretune: King's land, formerly Earl Harold.
    On the outskirts of Kington.

    Baysham
    Baissan: William FitzNorman from the king.

    Bickerton
    Bicretune: Geoffrey from William FitzBaderon.
    Bickerton Court Farm.

    Birley
    Burlei: Richard from Ralph de Mortimer; Godmund from Roger de Lacy.
    Partly 14th century house.

    Bishop's Frome
    Frome: Hereford Church; Hugh from Roger de Lacy. 3 mills.

    Bodenham
    Bodeham: Herbert from Roger de Lacy; Osbern FitzRichard, the pre-Conquest holder. Mill.

    Bollingham
    Burardestune: King's land.

    Bosbury
    Boseberge: Hereford Church. Mill.
    Medieval church, the burial place of the Victorian novelist Edna Lyall.

    Bowley
    Bolelei: Ralph from Nigel the Doctor.
    Scattered.

    Bradley
    Bradelege:
    Lost.

    Brampton Abbotts
    Bruntune: Gloucester Church; St. Guthlac's Church.
    On the outskirts of Ross-on-Wye. The church was given to the Abbots of Gloucester in Norman times.

    Brampton Bryan
    Brantune: Ralph de Mortimer.
    Ruined castle named after a 13th century knight, Bryan de Brampton.

    Breadward
    Brudeford: King's land.

    Bredenbury
    Bridenberie: Herman from Roger de Lacy.

    Bredwardine
    Brocheurdie: Alfred of Marlborough.
    Remains of a castle.

    Bridge Sollers
    Bricge / Brigge: Hereford Church, formerly Earl Harold who held it wrongfully.
    Traces of Offa's Dyke nearby.

    Brierley
    Bretlege: King's land, formerly Queen Edith.

    Brimfield
    Brome / Brumefeld: King's land, formerly Queen Edith; Ralph de Mortimer from the king.

    Brinsop
    Hope: Richard from Alfred of Marlborough.

    Broadfield
    Bradefelde: Manor of Leominster, the pre-Conquest holder; Ralph de Tosny from the king.
    Lower Broadfield.

    Broadward
    Bradeford: William FitzNorman from the king; Stephen from William d'Ecouis. Mill, fishery (500 eels).
    Hall.

    Brobury
    Brocheberie: Robert from Roger de Lacy.
    Ancient camp on nearby Scar Hill.

    Brockhampton
    Caplefore: Hereford Church.
    Morrisite church; ancient Capler Camp nearby.

    Brockmanton
    Brochementone: Roger de Lacy from the king. Hereford Church.
    Hall.

    Bromyard
    Bromgerbe: Hereford Church.
    Mill. Small market town. Charles I led his army through here in 1645.

    Buckton
    Buctone: Ralph de Mortimer.

    Bullinghope
    Boninhope: Roger de Lacy; Ansfrid de Cormeilles; Gilbert FitzTurold. 2 mills.

    Bunshill
    Bunesulle: Gruffydd of Maredudd.

    Burghill
    Burgelle: Alfred of Marlborough. Mill. 25 sticks of eels.

    Burrington
    Boritune: Ralph de Mortimer.
    Hilltop; Victorian school.

    Butterley
    Buterlei: Urse d'Abetot from the king; Alwin from Roger de Lacy. Mill.
    Court.

    Byford
    Buiford: Walter from Roger de Lacy. Mill.
    Cotterell family church and Court; Garnon's hill, with traces of Offa's Dyke.

    Byton
    Boitune: Osbern FitzRichard.
    Timber-framed, Tudor Combe Farm.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    C

    Canon Frome
    Frome: Gerard from Roger de Lacy. Mill.
    Georgian house.

    Canon Pyon
    Peune: Hereford Church. Mill.

    Castle Frome
    Brismerfrum: Roger de Lacy, formerly Earl Harold. Mill.
    Castle remains.

    Chadnor
    Chabenore: Ralph de Tosny.
    Now Lower Chadnor; Chadnor Court.

    Chickward
    Cicwrdine / Stituinguerdin: King's land; Hugh de Lasne.

    Cholstrey
    Cerlestreu: King's land.
    Cholstrey Court.

    Cleeve
    Clive: King's land, formerly Earl Harold. Fishery. 10 sesters of honey.
    Lost in Ross-on-Wye.

    Clehonger
    Cleunge: Ansfrid de Cormeilles, formerly Earl Harold; Ilbert FitzTurold. Mill.

    Clifford Castle
    Cliford: Ralph de Tosny; Roger de Lacy. Mill.
    Ruined castle, the region's westernmost English fortress. It belonged first to the Clifford family and later to the Mortimers.

    Cobhall
    Cobewelle: Gerard from Roger de Lacy.
    17th century house; 15th century hall.

    Coddington
    Cotingtune: Hereford Church, formerly held wrongfully by Earl Harold.

    Coldborough
    Calcheberge: Bernard from Durand of Gloucester.
    Coldborough Park; Coldborough Park Farm.

    Collington
    Col(l)intune: Hereford Church, formerly held wrongfully by Earl Harold; Hugh from Roger de Lacy.
    Large house; church.

    Colwall
    Colewelle: Hereford Church, formerly held wrongfully by Earl Harold. Mill.
    Collection of villages surounded by an Iron-Age hill-fort; several barrows. Elizabeth Barrett Browning spent her childhood in Colwall.

    Covenhope
    Camehop: Ralph de Mortimer.

    Cradley
    Credelaie: Hereford Church, formerly held wrongfully by Earl Harold. Mill.
    Church with Saxon remains.

    Credenhill
    Cradenhill / Credenhelle: Hereford Church; Hugh de Lasne.
    Hereford suburb; RAF base; on a Roman road. Thomas Traherne, the poet, was vicar of the church, 1661-69.

    Croft
    Crofta: Bernard from William d'Ecouis.
    Lost; a church, parts of a castle and an Iron Age settlement remain at Croft Ambrey.

    Cuple
    Chipelai:
    Lost.

    Cusop
    Cheweshope: Roger de Lacy from the king.
    Castle remains.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    D

    Didley
    Dodelegie / lige: Hereford Church.

    Dilwyn
    Dilge / Dilven: William d'Ecouis and Ilbert from the king. William d'Ecouis.

    Dinedor
    Dunre: William and Ilbert from Ralph de Tosny. Mill.
    On the outskirts of Hereford below Dinedor Hill, an Iron Age fort.

    Donnington
    Dunninctune: Hereford Church.
    Church; farm; hall. A Roman kiln and building were found here in the 19th century.

    Dormington
    Dermentune: Walter from St. Guthlac's Church.
    Below Backbury Hill, where Ethelbert is said to have camped in 794 before setting out for Offa's palace and his death.

    Dorstone
    Dodintune: Drogo FitzPoyntz, formerly Earl Harold.
    Large; at the top of the Golden Valley; castle remains. Nearby are Arthur's Stone, a megalithic burial chamber, and Scotland Bank, where Charles I met the Scots in 1645.

    Downton on the Rock
    Duntune: Odilard from Ralph de Mortimer. Fishery.
    18th century 'medieval' mansion of Richard Knight, MP for Hereford (1780-84), poet and archaeologist.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    E

    Eardisland
    Lene: King's land. 2 mills. Wheat, barley.
    Large; fine houses; mill; earthworks.

    Eardisley
    Herdeslege: King's land; Robert from Roger de Lacy; Hugh de Lasne. Fortified house.
    Mill. The castle motte belonged to Roger de Lacy and was ruined in the Civil War.

    Eastnor
    Astenofre: Hereford Church. Part of a salthouse in Droitwich.
    Ruins of Bronsil Castle; Iron Age fort nearby.

    Eaton
    Edtune: Alfred of Marlborough, formerly Earl Harold.
    Near the hill of Eaton.

    Eaton
    Etone: Ralph de Tosny from the king.
    Locality near Leominster.

    Eaton Bishop
    Etune: Hereford Church. Mill, market.
    Large; on the outskirts of Hereford. A hill-fort nearby, probably Iron Age.

    Edvin Loach
    Edevent: Cormeilles Church; Osbern and William FitzRichard from the king; Herbert from Osbern FitzRichard.

    Edwyn Ralph
    Gedeuen: King's land, formerly Queen Edith; Urse d'Abetot from the king.
    Deserted medieval moated homestead.

    Elton
    Elintune: Ralph de Mortimer.
    Thomas Knight conducted fruit-raising experiments here in in the 19th century.

    Evesbatch
    Sbech: Odo from Roger de Lacy, formerly Earl Harold.
    Farm house; tiny church.

    Eyton
    Ettone: William FitzNorman from the king.
    Probably the brithplace of Richard Hakluyt, 16th century travel writer.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    F

    Felton
    Feltone: St. Guthlac's Church.
    Shakespeare plays are staged annually in the church.

    Fencote
    Fencote: Abbess of Fencote from the king.
    Fencote Abbey.

    Fernhill
    Fernhalle:
    Lost.

    Ford
    Forne: Ralph de Tosny from the king and Drogo from him.
    Chapel.

    Fownhope
    Hope: Richard from Ansfrid de Cormeilles; Hugh de Lasne. 2 mills, 3 fisheries (300 eels). Church.
    Now 2 villages, Fownhope and nearby Sollens Hope, each with a church; close to Iron Age camps.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    G

    Garway
    Lagademar: Herman from the king.
    Scattered; round church founded by the Knights Templars in the 12th century.

    Gattertop
    Gadredehope: Roger de Lacy from the king.

    Grendon Bishop
    Grenedene: William from Roger de Lacy.
    Scattered; prehistoric camp.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    H

    Halmondsfrome
    Nerefrum: Roger de Lacy, formerly Queen Edith. Mill (5 sticks of eels).
    Scattered.

    Hamnish
    Hamenes: Drogo FitzPoyntz from the king.
    Hamnish House.

    Hampton
    Hantone: Manor of Leominster; Roger de Lacy and Drogo FitzPoyntz from the king. Mill.
    Part of
    Hope under Dinmore.

    Hampton Bishop
    Hantune: Hereford Church. 2 mills.

    Hampton Wafre
    Hantone: Roger de Lacy from the king.
    Locality near Leominster.

    Hanley's End
    Hanlie:
    Lost.

    Harewood
    Harewde:
    Lost.

    Hatfield
    Hetfelde: Hugh de Lasne from the king; William d'Ecouis.

    Hazle
    Hasles: Hereford Church, formerly held wrongfully by Earl Harold. Mill.
    Hazle Farm.

    Heath
    Hed: Gerard from Roger de Lacy.
    Now Great Heath.

    Hereford
    Hereford: King's land; Hereford Church.
    City. Roman and Saxon settlement; burial place of St. Ethelbert; meeting place of King Athelstan and the Welsh princes in 926.
    Harold Godwinson (King Harold) built a castle here, which has not survived. Norman cathedral with later additions.

    Hergest
    Hergest(h): King's land, formerly Earl Harold.
    Now 2 hamlets, Upper and Lower Hergest. Hergest Court belonged to the Vaughan family, who owned the Red Book of Hergest containing the ancient Welsh Mabinogion stories.

    Hinton
    Hinetune: St. Guthlac's Church. Mill.
    Farm.

    Holme Lacy
    Hamne: Hereford Church, formerly held wrongfully by Earl Harold. Church.
    Church; Holme Lacy House.

    Holmer
    Holemere: Hereford Church.
    Suburb of Hereford.

    Hope Mansell
    Hope: William FitzBaderon.
    Parkfields House.

    Hope under Dinmore
    Hope: Hereford Church.
    Large.

    Hopleys Green
    Hope: Roger de Lacy from the king and Walter from him.

    Hopton Sollers
    Hopetune: Richere from William FitzNorman.

    How Caple
    Capel: Hereford Church. Mill.

    Howle
    Hulla: Godric Mapson from the king. Fishery.

    Humber
    Humbre: Roger de Lacy from the king.
    Nearby is the Iron Age Risbury Camp; Roman finds have been made in the area.

    Huntington
    Huntenetune: Hereford Church.
    Within the boundaries of the city of Hereford.

    Huntington (near Kington)
    King's land, formerly Earl Harold.
    Large; earthworks of a castle which belonged first to King Harold and later to Owen Glendower.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    I

    Ivington
    Ivintune: King's land, formerly Queen Edith.
    Iron Age camp nearby.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    K

    Kenchester
    Chenecestre: Godric and Gruffydd of Maredudd from Hugh de Lasne. Mill.
    Major Roman site, Magna Castra.

    Kilpeck
    Chipeete: William FitzNorman from the king. 15 sesters of honey.
    Church with Saxon remains. The ruined castle belonged to William FitzNorman.

    King's Caple
    Cape: William FitzNorman from the king.
    Mound of a Norman castle.

    Kingsland
    Lene: King's land. 2 mills. 500 eels.
    Large; ruined castle, the reputed burial place of Merewald, 7th century Mercian king. At Mortimer's Cross nearby, Edward Mortimer defeated Owen Tudor in 1461 to become Edward IV.

    King's Pyon
    Pionie: Roger de Lacy.

    Kingstone (near Hereford)
    Chingestone: King's land; Ilbert FitzTurold from the king.
    Near a Roman road.

    Kingstone (in Weston under Penyard)
    Chingestune: Cormeilles Church.

    Kington
    Chingtune: King's land, formerly Earl Harold.
    Market town; remains of Lyonshall Castle.

    Kinnersley
    Elburgelega: Richard from Ralph de Mortimer.
    Elizabethan House, now an old people's home.

    Knill
    Chenille: Osbern FitzRichard.
    The brithplace of Anne Garbett, wife of the 19th century scholar Sir Samuel Romilly.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    L

    Lawton
    Lautone / tune: Roger de Lacy from the king and an Englishman from him.
    Locality near Leominster.

    Laysters
    Last: Roger de Mussegros; Bernard from Durand of Gloucester and his nephew Walter; Edric, the pre-Conquest holder.
    Scattered; castle mound. One of Wordsworth's favourite haunts.

    Lea
    Lecce: Gloucester Church.
    Castle End House.

    Ledicot
    L(e)idecote: Ralph de Mortimer; Gilbert from Roger de Lacy, formerly Aelfled, a woman.

    Leinthall
    Len / Len(n)te / Lintehale: King's land; Ralph de Mortimer, formerly Queen Edith. Mill.
    Now 2 villages, Leinthall Earls and Leinthall Starkes.

    Leintwardine
    Lenteurde: Earl Roger; Ralph de Mortimer.
    Large; on a Roman road.

    Leominster
    Leo(f)minstre: King's land, formerly Queen Edith; Urse d'Abetot; Roger de Lacy; Ralph de Mortimer; William FitzNorman; Widard. 10 mills, hawk's eyrie. 90 sticks of eels. 20 outliers.
    Small town which grew up around a Saxon priory and was once famous for its wool. Daniel Bourn invented the first wool-carding machine here in 1748.

    Letton (near Clifford)
    Letune: Tesselin from Roger de Lacy. Mill.

    Letton (near Wigmore)
    Lectune: Ralph de Mortimer.

    Lingen
    Lingham: Ralph de Mortimer.
    Ruined castle; priory.

    Linton
    Lintone / tune: King's land; William FitzBaderon with St. Mary's of Cormeilles holding the church. Mill. 6 sesters of honey.
    Castle remains; prehistoric earthworks.

    Litley
    Lutelei: Widard from Durand of Gloucester.
    Litley Court (in a Hereford suburb), a large building belonging to the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food.

    Little Brampton
    Bruntune: Osbern FitzRichard.
    Medieval farmhouse.

    Little Cowarne
    Colgre: Nigel the Doctor.
    Humphrey Smth, the 17th century Quaker preacher, was born here.

    Little Hereford
    Lutelonhereford: Hereford Church. Mill.
    Easton Court.

    Little Marcle
    Merchelai: Odo from Roger de Lacy, formerly Earl Harold; Thurstan from Thurstan FitzRolf. Mill.

    Llanwarne
    Ladgvern: Hereford Church, formerly held wrongfully by Earl Harold. Church.
    Ruined medieval church.

    Longtown
    Ewias: Roger de Lacy.
    Formerly known as Ewias Lacy. Dominated by the 12th century castle, possibly built on the site of King Harold's castle.

    Lower Harpton
    Hercope:
    Lost near Kington.

    Lugwardine
    Lucuordne: King's land. 4 mills.
    Large.

    Lulham
    Lulleham: Hereford Church.

    Luntley
    Lutelei: Ilbert from the king.
    Jacobean Luntley Court.

    Luston
    Lustone: King's land, formerly Queen Edith.
    Tudor house.

    Lyde
    Leode / Lude: Hereford Church; Ralph from Roger de Lacy, formerly Earl Harold; Roger de Lacy from Osbern FitzRichard.
    Part of the village of Pipe and Lyde.

    Lye
    Lecwe / Lega / Lege: William FitzNorman, Ralph de Mortimer, Osbern FitzRichard and Gruffydd of Maredudd from the king.
    Now 2 hamlets, Upper and Lower Lye, separated by Sned Wood.

    Lyonshall
    Lenehalle: Walter from Roger de Lacy, formerly Earl Harold.
    Castle remains; section of Offa's Dyke nearby.

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2017 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved