St. James's Church
Site of St. James's Priory in Exeter.
|Jacobescherche: Aelfeva, the pre-Conquest holder.|
St. Mary Church
St. Marychurch, a coastal area of Torquay; fine cliffs and combes.
|Ecclesia Sanctae Mariae: Bishop of Exeter; Richard FitzThorulf from Count of Mortain. 174 sheep.|
Given by King Aethelstan to the monks of Exeter, who worked the salt-pans after which the village is named. The church dates from 1150.
|Secome / coma: Bishop of Exeter.|
Attractive village street with thatched cottages.
|Sanford / fort: Baldwin the Sheriff. 28 cattle, 200 sheep, 40 goats.|
Home of the Peverell family and site of their castle, demolished in 1775. Probable effigy of Hugh Peverel, a crusader, in the church.
|Sanforde / forda: Roger de Bully (given to him by Queen Mathilda on his marriage). 50 goats.|
|Sandford / forda: Robert from William de Poilley.|
|Saterlei / leia: Godbold.|
Saunton Sands, one of Devon's finest beaches.
|Santone / tona: Theobald FitzBerner. Salthouse.|
|Scabatore / tora: Bishop of Coutances.|
Seaton Junction. Nearby Seaton, a small resort on the River Axe with a largely Norman church, was an important medieval port until the harbour silted up.
|Flueta / Fluta: Horton Church. 11 salthouses.|
|Sedeborge / -borga / Seteberge / Setleberga: Ansgot from the king.|
|Selac: Gotshelm holds SELAC from Baldwin (the Sheriff). Brictmer held it before 1066. It paid tax for ½ hide. Land for 2 ploughs. 1½ ploughs there. 2 villagers and 2 smallholders. Meadow, 2 acres; woodland, 6 acres. Formerly 5s; value now 10s.
|Cobecume / Scobacoma / Scobecome / Escobecoma: Walter de Douai; Ludo (wrongfully).|
Shapley (in Chagford)
Tiny; on Dartmoor, with prehistoric sites nearby.
|Scapelie / Escapeliea: Robert and Godwin from Baldwin the Sheriff; Gerald the Chaplain.|
Shapley (in North Bovey)
Tiny. Shapley Common; Shapley Tor.
|Essaple / -apla / Scapelie / Escapeleia: Aelfric, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king.|
|Scage / Escaga: Iudhael of Totnes and Thorgils from him.|
Devil's Stone marks an early sacred site.
|Sepesberie / beria: King's land, formerly Earl Harold. 30 pigs, 100 cattle, 500 sheep, 50 goats.|
|Sildene / denna: Ralph de Pomeroy. 10 cattle.|
Sherford (in Brixton)
Now 2 tiny hamlets, East and West Shaugh.
|Sireford / fort: William from Iudhael of Totnes.|
Sherford (near Kingsbridge)
Mainly 14th century church with medieval paintings.
|Sireford / -fort / forda: Battle Church from the king.|
Now Shillingford St. George; also Shillingford Abbot.
|Esselingeforde / -aforda / Selingeforde / -forda: William Cheever; Fulchere. 11 cattle.|
Shilston Barton and Shilston Bridge on Shilston Brook.
|Silvestene / Silfestana: Richard from Count of Mortain.|
Now Shilston Bridge; tiny. Shilston Barton.
|Selvestan: Osbern de Sacey.|
Now Shiphay, part of Torbay.
|Coletone / tona: Iudhael of Totnes.|
|Ascerewelle / Aiscirewilla / Sirewelle / -willa: Robert de Beaumont from Baldwin the Sheriff; William de Poilley; Gilbert from Odo FitzGamelin. 130 cattle, 28 goats.|
Shobrooke (near Crediton)
|Sotebroch / broca: Count of Mortain.|
Shobrooke (in Morchard Bishop)
|Schipebroc / Escipabroca / -pebrocha: Walter de Claville.|
Church with a partly Saxon crypt (670); Sidbury Castle, a large prehistoric fort.
|Sideberie / beria: Bishop of Exeter. 10 cattle, 140 sheep.|
Resort and old fishing port; Regency architecture.
|Sedemude / muda: St. Mary's Church, Rouen. Salthouse.|
|Sigeford / forda: Solomon from Roald Dubbed. Cow.|
Silverton Park, a decayed Georgian house, once belonged to the Earls of Egremont.
|Sulfretona: King's land. 3 mills.|
|Siredone / dona: Aelfric, the pre-Conquest holder from the king.|
Ruined tower of a chantry founded by Sir Guy de Brien, 1372. Slapton Ley, a lagoon, is a nature reserve.
|Sladone / dona: Baldwin the Sheriff from Bishop of Exeter. 100 sheep.|
|Smelecome / Hesmalacoma: Roger from Baldwin the Sheriff.|
|Smarige / Smaurige / Esmarige / Esmaurige: Ralph de Pomeroy. Mill. 15 cattle, 32 goats.|
|Smitheham / Esmite- / Esmitteham: Ansger le Breton from Count of Mortain.|
|Smidelie / Esmideleia: Gilbert from Baldwin the Sheriff.|
|Sure / Sura: Odo from Iudhael of Totnes. 15 cattle, 240 sheep and goats.|
|Surlei / leia: Fulk from Iudhael of Totnes. 18 cattle, 125 sheep.|
According to legend, the devil died of cold on Sourton Moor. Bronze spearheads were found at Sourton Tor.
|Surintone / tona: Engelbald's wife from Bishop of Coutances. 18 cattle, 100 sheep, 50 goats.|
|Alintone / tona: Thorgils from Iudhael of Totnes.|
Old village centre with a priest's house and toll-house.
|Brenta / Brente: Buckfast Church. 25 cattle, 95 sheep, 30 goats.|
Some houses near the boast; ruins of a 15th century chapel.
|Hewis / Heuis: Ralph from Iudhael of Totnes. 143 sheep.|
Blackberry Castle is a large Iron Age hill-fort.
|Lege / Lega: Beatrix from her brother William Cheever. 10 cattle.|
A bronze crucifix, c.1150, was discovered at Trendwell Farm in 1961.
|Mideltone / Miltitona: Tovi from Alfred le Breton.|
Market town with Georgian and Victorian houses and 3 old mills.
|Sudmoltone / Sut Moltona: King's land and 4 clergy from the king.|
Church House, built in 1572.
|Tauestone / -etone / Tauetona: King's land, formerly Countess Gytha. 100 cattle, 400 sheep, 70 goats.|
Tiny; Southweek Wood.
|Wicha / Wica / Wyca: Ralph de Pomeroy. 30 cattle.|
Sowton (formerly Clyst Fomison)
Bishop's Court, in 1863, is said to have been the home of one of the builders of Exeter Cathedral.
|Clis: Geoffrey from Bishop of Coutances. 2 cobs, 100 sheep.|
|Sperchewelle / willa: Richard from Baldwin the Sheriff.|
|Spececote / cota: Gosbert from Theobald FitzBerner.|
|Spicewite / Espicewita: King's land, formerly Earl Harold.|
Spreacombe Manor with a chapel. Now Higher Spreacombe.
|Sprecome / Esprecoma: Theobald FitzBerner.|
Church with Saxon and Norman fonts and an inscription to Henry le Maygue, a native of Normandy, 'who caused me to be built 1451'.
|Spreitone / Espreitona: Baldwin the Sheriff. 11 cattle, 35 goats.|
Now Higher Spriddlescombe; tiny.
|Combe / Comba: Dunn from Count of Mortain.|
|Spredelestone / Espredelestona / -eletona: Reginald from Count of Mortain.|
|Sprei: Wihenoc from Alfred le Breton.|
Spurway and Spurway Mill, near West Spurway, a tiny hamlet.
|Esprewei / Espreuweia: Bishop of Coutances; Hermer from Walter de Douai. 16 cattle.|
|Stotberie / beria: Ralph from Iudhael of Totnes.|
Part of Plymouth.
|Stotescome / coma: Iudhael of Totnes.|
Staddon (in Plymstock)
|Stotdone / Estotdona: William from Iudhael of Totnes.|
Stafford Barton; Stafford Moor Fishery.
|Staford / -fort / Stadforda: Ansger de Montacute.|
Stallenge Thorne Farm.
|Stanlinz: Odo FitzGamelin.|
Now Stancombe Cross; tiny.
|Stancome / coma: Thorgils from Iudhael of Totnes.|
|Stapelie / Estapeleia: Nicholas the Bowman.|
15th century Staverton Bridge.
|Sovretone / Stovretona: Bishop of Exeter. 101 sheep.|
|Stotecome / Estotacoma: Morin from Baldwin the Sheriff.|
Near Stockton Great Castle, an Iron Age hill-fort.
|Ertacomestcoche / stoca: Hervey FitzAnsger from Milton Abbey. 3 mills.|
Stockleigh (in Highampton)
|Tochelie / Estocheleia: Alward from Count of Mortain. 24 goats.|
Stockleigh (in Meeth)
|Stochelie / Estcheleia / -lia: Erchenbald from Count of Mortain; Aubrey from Baldwin the Sheriff.|
|Stochelie / Estocheleia: Reginald from Count of Mortain.|
Belonged to the Pomeroy family until the Catholic Rising of 1549.
|Stochelie / Estocheleia: Ralph de Pomeroy. Cob, 103 sheep, 23 goats.|
Stoke (in Devonport)
Part of Plymouth.
|Stoghes: Robert d'Aumale. 15 cattle, 160 sheep, 40 goats.|
Stoke (in Hartland)
14th century St. Nectan's Church with a richly carved Norman font and painted waggon roof.
|Nistenestoch: Canons, the pre-Conquest holders, from Gerald the Chaplain.|
Stoke (in Holne)
Tiny; on Dartmoor.
|Stoche / Estocha: Winemar from William de Falaise. 1 animal.|
Bridge dating from the 13th century over the River Culm.
|Stoche / Stocha: Bishop of Exeter. 2 mills.|
Church with a 13th century effigy of Elinor Mohun.
|Stoch / Stoc: Ludo, Ralph and a woman from Walter de Douai.|
Church with a 1375 brass, the earliest in Devon.
|Stoches: Nicholas the Bowman.|
|Stoche / Estocha: William de Poilley. 100 sheep.|
Part of Plymouth.
|Stanehus: Robert Bastard.|
Stoodleigh (near Oakford)
East Stoodleigh Barton nearby.
|Stodlei / Estodleia: Bishop of Coutances; Robert from Ralph de Pomeroy. 18 cattle, 33 goats, 100 sheep.|
Stoodleigh (in West Buckland)
|Stodlei / Estotleia: Bishop of Coutances; Arnold from Walter de Douai.|
Stowford (in Colaton Raleigh)
|Staford / Estaforda: Earl Hugh.|
Stowford (near Lifton)
Romano-British stone in the churchyard.
|Staford / Estatforda: Ralph Vitalis from Odo FitzGamelin. 10 cattle, 20 goats.|
Stowford (in West Down)
West Stowford Barton.
|Staveford / Estaveforda: Bishop of Coutances.|
Houses in a park.
|Estrete / eta: Thurstan from Ralph de Pomeroy. 60 goats.|
|Sutecome / coma: Edric, the pre-Conquest holder, from Bishop of Coutances. 18 cattle.|
Sutton (in Halberton)
|Suetetone / Suetatona / Suetetona:|
Sutton (in Plymouth)
Part of Plymouth.
|Sudtone / Sutona: King's land.|
Sutton (in Widworthy)
|Sutone / Sutuna: Richard from William the Usher, the king's servant.|
|Birige: Saewin the priest, formerly Brictferth his uncle.|
|Sideham: Osbern from Walter de Claville.|
Sydenham (in Marystowe)
Sydenham House; Sydenham Wood.
|Sidreham: William from Iudhael of Totnes.|
On the wooded slopes of the River Tamar; packhorse bridge.
|Sidelham / Sidreham: Iudhael of Totnes.|