[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?

  • Devonshire M-R

    Previous | Home | Next

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    Click here for details Click here for details

    M

    Mackham
    Madescame: Hamo from William Cheever.

    Maidencombe
    Medenecome / coma: Bernard from Baldwin the Sheriff.
    Some houses.

    Malston
    Mellestone / tona: Ralph from Iudhael of Totnes.
    Malston Barton.

    Mamhead
    Mammeheua / -hetua / Manneheua: Ralph de Pomeroy from Baldwin the Sheriff; Saewulf, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king. Cob, 27 goats.
    Mamhead House, rebuilt in Tudor style in the 19th century on the site of a medieval castle.

    Manadon
    Manedone / dona: Odo from Iudhael of Totnes.
    Part of Plymouth.

    Manaton
    Manitone / tona: Edwy from Baldwin the Sheriff; Aldred, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king. 25 goats.
    On the edge of Dartmoor; old stone cottages round the village green; home of John Galsworthy. Nearby Grimspound is a Bronze Age village with 24 hut circles.

    Mariansleigh
    Lege / Liege / Liega / Leiga: William the Usher, the king's servant.

    Martin
    Mertone / tona: Richard FitzThorulf from Baldwin the Sheriff.

    Martinhoe
    Matingeho: Bishop of Coutances.
    Restored 11th century church.

    Marwood
    Merehode / -hoda / Mereude / -uda / Merode / -oda: Robert from Baldwin the Sheriff; 2 men-at-arms from Robert d'Aumale; Oliver from Theobald FitzBerner. 20 cattle, 128 sheep, 20 goats.

    Mary Tavy
    Tavi: Iudhael of Totnes. 16 cattle, 120 sheep.
    Once a prosperous mining area. Tavy Cleave, nearby, is a dramatic gorge with many prehistoric sites.

    Matford
    Madford / -fort / Matford / -forda: Alfred the Butler from Count of Mortain; Ralph from William Cheever.
    Matford Barton; Matford Home Farm; Matford Bridge.

    Meavy
    Mewi: William and Nigel from Iudhael of Totnes; Robert Bastard.

    Meddon
    Madone / dona: Ansgor, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king.
    Some houses.

    Medland
    Mideland / landa: Godwin from the king.
    Medland Manor.

    Meeth
    Meda: Bernard from Baldwin the Sheriff.
    Thatched 14th century inn; church with a Norman nave and font.

    Melbury
    Meleberie / beria: William de Poilley.
    Some houses.

    Melhuish
    Melewis: Hughes de Rennes from Baldwin the Sheriff. 24 goats.
    Melhuish Barton.

    Membland
    Mimidlande / landa: Waldin from Iudhael of Totnes.

    Membury
    Maiberie / Maaberia / Maneberie / Manberia: Warin from William Cheever.
    Nearby is the Iron Age hill-fort after which the village is named.

    Merton
    Mertone / tona: Bishop of Coutances. Cob, 12 cattle.
    Birthplace of Walter de Merton (d.1277), founder of Merton College, Oxford.

    Meshaw
    Mauessart: Gilbert from Baldwin the Sheriff. 11 cattle.

    Metcombe
    Metcome / coma: Bishop of Coutances.

    Middlecott (in Broadwood Kelly)
    Mildecote / Mildelcote(a): Ranulf and Richard from Baldwin the Sheriff.

    Middlecott (in Chagford)
    Midelcote / cota: Alwin, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king.

    Middleton
    Middeltone / Mideltona: Bishop of Coutances. 15 pigs.
    Now West Middleton.

    Middlewick
    Wiche / Wica / Wicca: Bishop of Coutances.

    Mildon
    Mildedone / dona: William Cheever, formerly Edith.

    Milford (in Hartland)
    Meleforde / forda: Gosbert from Theobald FitzBerner.
    Some houses.

    Milford (in Stowford)
    Meleford / fort: Engelbald's wife from Bishop of Coutances.
    Tiny.

    Milton Abbot
    Middeltone / Midel- / Mildeltona: Tavistock Church. 22 cattle, 170 sheep, 30 goats.
    Early 19th century Gothic buildings; Endsleigh Cottage, with garden and grotto.

    Milton Damerel
    Mideltone / tona: Robert d'Aumale, formerly Wulfeva. 30 cattle, 25 goats.
    14th century church with a Tudor arcade. The list of rectors goes back to 1276.

    Mockham
    Mogescome / coma: Robert de Pont-Chardon from Baldwin the Sheriff. 12 cattle.
    Mockham Barton near Mockham Down.

    Modbury
    Mortberie / Motberia / Motbilie / -lia: Richard and Reginald from Count of Mortain. 30 goats.
    16th century Exeter Inn.

    Mohun's Ottery
    Otri: Walter de Douai. Mill. 26 cattle, 30 pigs, 100 sheep, 50 goats, 20 wild mares.
    Gatehouse of a house built by Sir Reginald Mohun in the 13th century.

    Molland (in North Molton)
    Molland / landa: Bernard from Theobald FitzBerner. 3 oxen.
    Molland Cross, some houses.

    Molland (in West Anstey)
    Mollande / landa: King's land, formerly Earl Harold; Bishop of Coutances.
    On Exmoor.

    Monkleigh
    Lege / Lega: Alfred from Count of Mortain. 100 sheep.
    Thatched cottages; old lime kilns.

    Monkokehampton
    Monuchementone / Monacochamentona: Baldwin the Sheriff. Cob, 18 cattle.

    Monkswell
    Reginald from Roald Dubbed.
    Tiny; Monkswell House.

    Moor (in Broadwoodwidger)
    More / Mora: Nigel from Iudhael of Totnes.

    Morchard Bishop
    Morchet: King's land.
    Views of Dartmoor and Exmoor.

    Morebath
    Morebade / batha: King's land, formerly Earl Harold.

    Moreleigh
    Morlei / Morleia: William from Alfred le Breton.

    Moretonhampstead
    Mortone / tona: Baldwin from the king, formerly Earl Harold. 20 cattle, 130 sheep.
    Small market town on Dartmoor with 17th century almshouses, old wayside crosses nearby include Horspit Cross. The church has tombstones of Napoleonic prisoners of war.

    Mortehoe
    Mortehou / ho: Aelfric from Ralph de Limesy.
    Morte Point looks across to Lundy Island; Tudor farmhouse nearby.

    Mowlish
    Milchewis / Milehyuis: Richard from Ralph de Pomeroy; Saewulf, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king. Cow.
    Mowlish Manor.

    Mullacott
    Molecote / Molacota: Godbold.
    Now 2 tiny hamlets, Higher and Lower Mullacott; Mullacott Farm.

    Murley
    Morlei / leia: Walter the Wild from Walter de Claville.

    Musbury
    Musberie / beria: Baldwin the Sheriff. Mill. 18 unbroken mares, 16 cattle, 100 sheep, 30 goats.
    15th century Ashe House with a 14th century tiltyard; church with monuments to the Drake family.

    Mutley
    Modlei / leia: Odo from Iudhael of Totnes.
    Part of Plymouth.

    Muxbere
    Mochelesberie / beria: Ansger de Montacute. Mill.
    Tiny.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details

    N

    Natson
    Nimet: Godwin from the king.

    Natsworthy
    Noteswrde: Richard FitzThorold.
    Natsworthy Manor.

    Neadon
    Benedone / Beneadona: Hervey's wife from Baldwin the Sheriff.
    Now Neadon Cleave.

    Nether Exe
    Niresse / essa: Bishop of Coutances. Cow.
    On the River Exe; chapel.

    Newton (in Chittlehampton)
    Neutone / Neuetona: Ansger from Baldwin the Sheriff.
    Now 2 tiny hamlets, North and South Newton.

    Newton (in Zeal Monachorum)
    Newentone / tona: Osmund from Gotshelm; Godbold.
    Now Man's Newton.

    Newton Ferrers
    Niwetone / tona: Reginald from Count of Mortain.
    Town with old fishermen's cottages. Puslinch House nearby, built 1720.

    Newton St. Cyres
    Niwetone / Newen- / Niwentona: Dunn from Bishop of Exeter; Dunn, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king.
    Church of St. Cyrica and St. Julitta with a boss of piglets suckling a sow. Inspired by the tradition that the church should be built where a sow farrowed.

    Newton St. Petrock
    Newetone / Nietona: Priests of Bodmin.

    Newton Tracey
    Newentone / tona: Walter de Burgundy from Gotshelm.

    Nichol's Nymet
    Limet / Limete: Osmund from Gotshelm.
    Nichol's Nymet House, now a hotel; Nichol's Nymet Cross.

    Northam
    Northam: St. Stephen's Church, Caen. 2 salthouses, fishery. 345 sheep.
    Town with Georgian houses. Nearby Westward Ho is the only town to be named afte a novel (by Charles Kingsley, 1855).

    North Bovey
    Bovi: Thorgils from Iudhael of Totnes.
    18th century thatched cottages; village green; old cross; pump.

    North Buckland
    Bocheland / lant: William Cheever. Cob, 12 cattle, 100 sheep, 20 goats.

    Northcote (in East Down)
    Norcote / cota: Bishop of Coutances. 15 cattle, 17 pigs.
    Tiny.

    North Huish
    Hewis: Ralph from Iudhael of Totnes.

    Northleigh
    Lege / Lega: Alward from Count of Mortain; Nicholas the Bowman. 16 cattle.

    Northlew
    Leuia: King's land. 10 wild mares, 50 cattle, 100 sheep.
    On the Saxon plan with a large square; old preaching cross by the church gate.

    North Molton
    Nortmoltone / tona: King's land. 30 cattle, 170 sheep, 30 goats.
    16th century court house; Georgian Court Hall.

    North Tawton
    Taue- / Tawetone / -tona: King's land.
    Once a flourishing market town with an Elizabethan manor house nearby.

    Norton (in Broadwoodwidger)
    Nortone / tona: William from Iudhael of Totnes. 17 cattle.
    Norton Barton Manor.

    Norton (in Churchstow)
    Notone / tona: Buckfast Abbey.

    Nutcott
    Nochecote: Gerard.
    Tiny.

    Nutwell
    Notewille / willa: Dunn, the pre-Conquest holder, from the King. 100 sheep.
    Nutwell Court on the Exe Estuary.

    Nymet Rowland
    Limet: Walter from Baldwin the Sheriff. Mill.

    Nymet Tracey
    Limeta: Bishop of Coutances. Cob.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details

    O

    Oak
    Acha: Richard from Baldwin the Sheriff.
    Now Oak Cross.

    Oakford
    Alforde / forda: William Cheever. Mill. 200 sheep, 100 goats.
    Oak Bridge with an old mill, nearby.

    Offwell
    Offewille / Offawilla: Reginald from Baldwin the Sheriff.
    Church with fine Jacobean carving.

    Okehampton
    Ochementone / Ochenemitona: Baldwin the Sheriff. Castle, market, mill.
    Market town, originally a Saxon settlement. The ruins of Okehampton Castle include a Norman keep.

    Okenbury
    Ocheneberie / beria: Iudhael of Totnes.

    Oldridge
    Walderige: Jocelyn Bernwin from Baldwin the Sheriff. 62 goats.
    Some houses.

    Orcheton
    Orcartone / tona: Reginald from Count of Mortain. Salthouse.
    Great Orcheton Farm.

    Orway
    Orrewai / Orrawia: Alfred d'Epaignes.

    Oussaborough
    Aseberge: Theobald FitzBerner.
    Tiny.

    Otterton
    Otritone / tona: Mont St. Michel Church, formerly Countess Gytha. Market on Sundays. 3 mills. 60 pigs, 18 cattle, 300 sheep, 22 goats.
    Nearby is Ladram Bay with rock stacks and large caves.

    Ottery (in Lamerton)
    Odetreu / trewa: Robert d'Aumale. 14 cattle, 20 goats (with Collacombe and Willestrew).
    Tiny; Ottery Cottages; Ottery Park.

    Ottery St. Mary
    Otrei / Otri: St. Mary's Church, Rouen, before and after 1066. 3 mills, garden. 24 cattle, 130 sheep, 18 wild mares.
    Town given to Rouen Cathedral by Edward the Confessor and bought back by Bishop Grandisson of Exeter who rebuilt the church in the 14th century. Restored by William Butterfield in the 19th century, it is now one of the county's finest churches.

    Owlacombe
    Olecumbe / Ulacumba: Gotshelm from Theobald FitzBerner.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details

    P

    Paignton
    Peintone / tona: Bishop of Exeter. Salthouse. 20 cattle, 350 sheep.
    Town. A Bronze Age, then Saxon, settlement, it developed as a resort in the 19th century. The church, on a Bronze Age site, has Saxon foundations. Coverdale Tower was part of a palace of the Bishops of Exeter.

    Panson
    Panestan: Alfred le Breton from Roald Dubbed.
    West Panson, some houses.

    Parford
    Patford / forda: Osbern de Sacey.

    Parkham
    Percheham: Richard from Baldwin the Sheriff.
    Church with a Norman dooe, font and holy water stoup.

    Parracombe
    Pedrecumbe / Pedracomba: William de Falaise. 27 goats.
    Stone-built; named after St. Petroc's combe; Georgian church saved by John Ruskin. Prehistoric sites include Holwell Castle, a hill fort.

    Patchole
    Patsole / sola: Bishop of Coutances.
    Some houses.

    Payhembury
    Ham- / Han- / Henberie / Hain- / Ham- / Han- / Hemberia: Rainer from Baldwin the Sheriff; Odo from the king. Mill. 2 cobs.
    Thatched cottages.

    Peadhill
    Pedehel / hael: Bishop of Coutances.
    Tiny.

    Peamore
    Peumere / mera: Roger FitzPayne from Ralph de Pomeroy.
    Peamore House.

    Pedley
    Pidelige / Peideliga / Pidaliga / Piedelege: Ralph from William de Poilley.
    Pedley Barton.

    Peek (in Ugborough)
    Pech: Reginald from Count of Mortain. 20 goats.
    Now East Peekes.

    Peeke (in Luffincott)
    Pech: Walter d'Omonville from Roald Dubbed.
    Now West Peeke.

    Peters Marland
    Mer- / Mirland / -landa: Reginald from Roald Dubbed.

    Peter Tavy
    Tawi: Alfred le Breton.
    Former mining area.

    Pethill
    Pidehel: Thorgils from Iudhael of Totnes.
    Pithill Farm.

    Petrockstowe
    Petrochestou: Buckfast Church.
    Hillside site.

    Pickwell
    Wedicheswelle / Pediccheswella: Bishop of Coutances.
    Some houses.

    Pilland
    Pillande / Welland / Pillanda: Bishop of Coutances. 147 sheep.
    Tiny.

    Pilton
    Wiltone / Pi(lto)na: Bishop of Coutances. Cob.
    Part of Barnstaple.

    Pinhoe
    Pinnoch / Pinnoc: King's land with Battle Church holding the church.
    Part of Exeter.

    Pirzwell
    Pissewelle / willa: Hamo from William Cheever.

    Plaistow
    Pleistou / Pleiestou: Bishop of Coutances.
    Plaistow Mill, Plaistow Barton; East Plaistow, a tiny hamlet, nearby.

    Plympton
    Plintone / tona: King's land.
    District of Plymouth. Plympton St. Mary, a 9th century religious community, became an Augustinan priory in 1121, owning Sutton Prior, the nucleus of Plymouth.

    Plymstock
    Plemestoch / stocha: Tavistock Church. 34 goats.
    Part of Plymouth.

    Plymtree
    Plumtrei: Odo FitzGamelin. 13 sheep.
    Church with fine 15th century woodwork.

    Polsloe
    Polesleuge / leuia: Ansger from Bishop of Coutances; Canons of St. Mary's from Baldwin the Sheriff.
    Part of Exeter.

    Poltimore
    Pontimore / -mora / Pultimore / -mora: Canons of St. Mary's from Baldwin the Sheriff; Haimeric. 112 sheep, 20 cattle.
    Thatched cottages.

    Ponsford
    Pantesford / fort: William from Baldwin the Sheriff.
    Tiny.

    Pool
    Pole / Pola: William from Iudhael of Totnes; Ansfrid from Walter de Claville; Roger from Ralph de Pomeroy.
    Now South Pool, at the head of Southpool Creek.

    Potheridge
    Porrige: Aubrey from Baldwin the Sheriff. Mare.
    3 clusters of houses, Great and Little Potheridge and Potheridge Gate.

    Poughill
    Pocheelle / -eella / Pochehille / -hilla: Alfred the Butler from Count of Mortain; Roald Dubbed.

    Poulston
    Polochestone / tona: Robert from Iudhael of Totnes. 122 sheep, 33 goats.

    Powderham
    Poldreham: Ranulf from William d'Eu. Mill. 150 sheep, 40 goats.
    Partly 14th century Powderham Castle, home of the Earls of Devon.

    Praunsley
    Prantelie / -leia / Plateleia: Reginald from Roald Dubbed.
    Tiny.

    Puddington
    Potitone / tona: Ralph from William Cheever.

    Pulham
    Polham: Reginald from Roald Dubbed.
    Tiny.

    Pullabrook
    Polebroch / broc: Bishop of Coutances.
    Pullabrook Farm.

    Pyworthy
    Paorde/ Paorda: Iudhael of Totnes. 35 cattle, 200 sheep.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details

    R

    Rackenford
    Rachenefode / foda: Jocelyn from Baldwin the Sheriff. 12 cattle, 25 goats.
    Partly Georgian manor house.

    Raddon (in Marystowe)
    Ratdone / dona: Nigel from Iudhael of Totnes. 20 cattle, 140 sheep.

    Raddon (in Thorverton)
    Radone / Redone / Raddona / Reddona: William the Usher from Tavistock Church; William the Usher, the king's servant. Cob, 11 cattle.
    West Raddon, Raddon Court.

    Radish
    Redic / Red(d)ix / Radix / Radiz:
    Lost.

    Radworthy (in Challacombe)
    Radeode / euda: Reginald from William de Poilley.
    Area near Challacombe.

    Radworthy (in North Molton)
    Raordin: William Cheever.
    Now North Raddon; on Exmoor.

    Raleigh
    Radelie / leia: Bishop of Coutances.
    Raleigh House on the edge of Barnstaple.

    Rapshays
    Otri / Oteri: Warin from William Cheever; Rozelin from Ralph de Pomeroy.
    Rapshayes Farm.

    Rattery
    Ratreu: William de Falaise.
    Church House Inn, said to date from the 13th century.

    Rawridge
    Rouerige / Rourige: St. Mary's Church, Rouen, formerly Wulfeva. 20 cattle, 30 goats.

    Rewe
    Rewe / Reuwa: Bishop of Coutances.
    Packhorse bridge; village cross.

    Riddlecombe
    Ridelcome / coma: Gotshelm. 20 cattle, 114 sheep.

    Rifton
    Restone / tona: Aubrey from Theobald FitzBerner.
    Tiny; Rifton Moor.

    Ringcombe
    Ringedone: Ansger from Baldwin the Sheriff.
    Tiny.

    Ringmore (near Bigbury)
    Reimore / mora: Iudhael of Totnes.
    Castle Farm, a Victorian Gothic ruin.

    Ringmore (in St. Nicholas)
    Rumor: Stephen from Baldwin the Sheriff. Cob, 100 sheep.
    Part of St. Nicholas on the Teign estuary.

    Roadway
    Radehide / hida: Ralph Pagnell.
    Tiny.

    Roborough (near Great Torrington)
    Rawberge / berga: Bishop of Coutances, formerly Wulfeva.
    Old thatched cottages.

    Rockbeare
    Rochebere / Roce- / Rochebera: Alward from Count of Mortain; Rainer and Gotshelm from Baldwin the Sheriff. 110 sheep.
    Georgian Rockbeare Court.

    Rocombe
    Rachun / Racum / Racome / -coma: Bernard from Baldwin the Sheriff; William Cheever; Ralph from Nicholas the Bowman. 23 cattle, 140 sheep.
    Now Middle Rocombe; tiny. Lower Rocombe Farm; Higher Rocombe Barton.

    Romansleigh
    Lege / Liege / Leiga / Liega: Nigel and Robert from Tavistock Church.
    Named after the Celtic St. Ruman.

    Rose Ash
    Aisse / Aissa: Ansger from Baldwin the Sheriff. 30 cattle.
    Manor house, church and school around the village green.

    Rousdon
    Done / Dune / Dona / Duna: Odo from the king, formerly Mathilda.
    Victorian mansion imitating a variety of styles from Renaissance to Louis XIV, built for the Peek Frean family.

    Rowley
    Rodelie: Bishop of Coutances. 24 goats.
    Little Rowley; Rowley Down, with tumuli, Holwell Barrow is nearby.

    Ruckham
    Rouecome / coma: Haimeric.
    Now tiny hamlets, East and West Ruckham.

    Rushford
    Risford / fort: Edwy, the pre-Conquest holder, from Baldwin the Sheriff.
    Rushford Barton; Rushford Mill Farm; Rushford Wood.

    Ruston
    Rinestandedone / dona: Edhild from Bishop of Coutances.
    Tiny.

    Rutleigh
    Radeclive / cliva: Roger de Flanders from Roald Dubbed. 20 sheep.
    Now Great Rutleigh; tiny. Rutleigh Ball Farm.

    Previous | Top | Home | Next

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2017 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved