Now Hacche Barton; Hacche Moor.
|Achie / Achia: Alwy from Odo FitzGamelin. 14 cattle, 25 goats.|
|Hacome / coma: Stephen from Baldwin the Sheriff; Robert from William Cheever. 50 goats.|
Tiny; Hackworthy Brakes, a wood.
|Hacheurde: Hervey de Hellean's wife.|
|Haintone / Hagintona / Hagetone / Hagitona: Bishop of Coutances; Robert from Baldwin the Sheriff; Wulfric from Walter de Douai. 150 sheep, 37 goats.|
|Als- / Halsbretone / -tona: King's land and Gotshelm from the king. 2 mills. 11 cattle, 150 sheep.|
|Hax: Modbert son of Lambert from Baldwin the Sheriff.|
Halstow (in Dunsford)
|Alestou / Halestou: Godbold.|
|Hagewile / Hagowila: William from Iudhael of Totnes.|
Name comes from a holy well, still in existence; Halwill Forest nearby.
|Halgewelle / willa: King's land. 33 cattle, 20 pigs.|
|Nimet: Hermer from Gotshelm.|
|Hermodesword / Hermondesworda: Drogo from Bishop of Coutances.|
|Hancheford / Hanecheforda: Reginald from Roald Dubbed.|
White-Oxen Manor nearby.
|Erberneford / Herberneforda: Reginald from William de Falaise.|
|Harestane / tana: Reginald from Count of Mortain.|
Harford (near Cornwood)
On the edge of Dartmoor, surrounded by prehistoric remains and fine old farm houses.
|Hereford / forda: Reginald from Count of Mortain.|
On one of the finest coastal stretches in Britain. Hartland Quay is a 15th century harbour built by the monks of Hartland Abbey, founded by Gytha, Harold's mother - now an 18th century Gothic house.
|Heritone / tona: King's land, formerly Gytha, mother Earl Harold. 137 cattle, 50 pigs, 700 sheep, 100 goats.|
|Herlege / Hierlega: Bishop of Coutances.|
Hatherleigh (in Bovey Tracey)
|Harlei / leia: Bishop of Coutances.|
Hatherleigh (near Okehampton)
15th century George Inn. Hatherleigh Moor was granted as common land by John Gaunt in the 14th century; St. John's Well was believed to cure eye troubles.
|Adrelei / Hadreleia: Tavistock Church and Nigel, Walter, Geoffrey and Ralph from the church. Mill. 15 cattle, 24 goats.|
|Hauocmore / mora: Bishop of Coutances.|
Now 2 hamlets, Haxton and Haxton Down.
|Haustone / tona: Bishop of Exeter.|
|Haroldesore: Robert Bastard.|
Burial place of the postman poet, Edward Capern (1819-94), whose handbell hangs by his tomb.
|Hantone / tona: Robert de Pont-Chardon from Baldwin the Sheriff. Mill, fishery. 11 cattle, 163 sheep.|
Heanton Stachville Estate.
|Hantone / tona: Ralph de Bruyere from Baldwin the Sheriff.|
|Hetfeld / felt: Buckfast Church. 11 cattle, 16 goats.|
Part of Exeter.
|Hevetrove / trowa: Roger from Ralph de Pomeroy, formerly Viking.|
Hele (in Ilfracombe)
|Hela: Bishop of Coutances.|
Hele Barton; Hele Bridge over the River Torridge; also the hamlets of Crockers, Friars and Giffords Hele.
|Helescaue / Helecaue / Hela: Erchenbald from Count of Mortain; Wihenoc from Alfred le Breton; Godbold.|
|Hainemardun: Walter from Roald Dubbed.|
Castle ruins. Nearby Whitehall was the home of the de Brewer family who founded Dunkeswell Abbey in 1201.
|Hamihoch / hoc: King's land.|
Some houses; Henford Water.
|Hindeford / fort: Ralph de Pomeroy from Iudhael of Totnes.|
Originally Saxon, it belonged to Torre Abbey in the 13th century; the vicarage dates from that time.
|Hanoch / Hainoc: Roger FitzPayne from Baldwin the Sheriff. Cob.|
Tiny; Henscott Bridge over the River Waldon.
|Engestecote / -cota / Hainghestecota: Drogo from Bishop of Coutances. 20 cattle, 20 goats.|
|Hanitone / Hantona: Roger from Baldwin the Sheriff. 17 cattle.|
Church with fine old bench ends; Norman arch and font.
|Bichentone / tona: King's land. 12 cattle.|
|Brai / Braia: Bishop of Coutances.|
|Henlei / leia: Ralph de Pomeroy.|
Hill (in Cruwys Morchard) Hill Farm.
|Hilesdone / Hillesdona: Reginald from Odo FitzGamelin.|
Hittisleigh Barton; Hittisleigh Cross, a tiny hamlet.
|Hiteneslei / leia: Ralph de Pomeroy from Baldwin the Sheriff.|
|Hocoorde / orda: Rogo from Baldwin the Sheriff; Walter de Douai.|
|Holebeme / bema: Roger Goad from Nicholas the Bowman.|
|Holebroch / broca: Bretel from Count of Mortain; Alstan, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king.|
Holcombe (in East Dawlish)
|Holecome / Holcomma: Ralph de Pomeroy.|
|Holecumbe / cumba: King's land. 50 goats.|
Holcombe House is 16th century with a 3-storey tower, Great Hall and Long Gallery.
|Holecome / coma: Rogo from Baldwin the Sheriff. 2 mills. 22 pigs.|
Hole (in Clayhidon)
|Holne / Holna: Otelin from Baldwin the Sheriff.|
Hole (in Georgeham)
South Hole Farm.
|Hole / Hola: Theobald FitzBerner.|
Hole (in Hartland)
Now South Hole.
|Hola: Gosbert from Theobald FitzBerner.|
Hollacombe (near Holsworthy)
|Holecome / coma: Priests of Bodmin, the pre-Conquest holders. 12 cattle.|
Hollacombe (in Kentisbury)
|Holecome / coma: Walter de Douai.|
|Holnham: Gilbert from Roald Dubbed.|
|Hovelande / Honelanda: Ralph from Iudhael of Totnes.|
Hollowcombe (in Ermington)
|Holescome / coma: Ralph de Pomeroy from Count of Mortain. 4 salthouses.|
Hollowcombe (in Fremington)
On the edge of Bickington.
|Holecome / Holcomma: Theobald FitzBerner. 3 saltworkers paying 5 packloads of salt, 1 packload of fish.|
Birthplace of Charles Kingsley (1819-75); 2 15th century stone bridges.
|Holle / Holla: William de Falaise. Cob.|
Town where fairs have been held since the 12th century.
|Haldeword / eurdi: King's land, formerly Earl Harold. 100 cattle, 30 pigs, 300 sheep, 20 goats.|
Name comes from the Saxon for Huna's church.
|Honecherde / chercha: Walter from Baldwin the Sheriff. 30 cattle.|
Part of Plymouth.
|Hanechelole / Hanenchelola: Reginald from Count of Mortain.|
Honiton (near Axminster)
Mainly Georgian town, an important posting stage on the London-Exeter road. Famous for Honiton lace, probably introduced by Huguenots in the 16th century.
|Honetone / tona: Drogo from Count of Mortain. Mill. 100 sheep.|
Honiton (in South Molton)
|Hunitone / tona: Odo FitzGamelin.|
Part of Plymouth.
|Ho: Stephen from Iudhael of Totnes.|
Hook (in Ashreigney) Hook Farm.
|Hortone / tona: Bishop of Coutances.|
Overlooking the Taw and Torridge Estuary.
|Horewod / -wode / Horewda / -woda: Bishop of Coutances; Ralph de Pomeroy. Cow, 90 sheep.|
Now Great Houndtor. Hound Tor, with a stone circle and cairn, is nearby.
|Hundatore / tora: Reginald from Tavistock Church.|
Huish (near Dolton)
|Hiwis / Hywis / Iwis / Ywis: Gotshelm; Ralph Vitalis from Odo FitzGamelin. 24 cattle, 102 sheep, 35 goats.|
Huish (in Instow)
|Torsewis: Bishop of Coutances, formerly Wulfeva.|
Huish (in Tedburn St. Mary)
Great Huish Farm; East Huish Farm.
|Chiwartiwis: Fulchere the Bowman, the king's servant.|
|Honesham / ssam: Odo FitzGamelin. 10 cattle.|
Mainly 15th century church with a 12th century chancel; all who helped rebuild it in 1439 were granted indulgences.
|Huneseue / eua: William Cheever. 10 cattle, 100 sheep, 30 goats.|
|Hochesham / sam: Roger from Ralph de Pomeroy. Mill.|
Tiny; Great Huxhill; Higher Huxhill.
|Hochesile / sila: Roald Dubbed.|