Norman St. Giles Church.
|Sandiacre: Toli, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king. Church, mill.|
|Sapertune: Roger from Henry de Ferrers.|
|Salle: Bishop of Chester before and after 1066. 2 churches, mill, fishery.|
Norman St. Leonard's Church; Scarcliffe Park is nearby.
|Scardeclif: Rainward from Ralph FitzHubert. Mill.|
|Scroftun / Scotun(e): Henry de Ferrers, claimed by Geoffrey d'Alselin. Church, mill, mill site.|
|Segessale: Alchere from Henry de Ferrers. Mill.|
Fine 18th century canal port; 17th century Shardlow Hall.
|Serdelau: Uhtbrand from the king.|
The model for Jane Eyre lived at Shatton hall.
|Scetune: King's land in the charge of William Peverel.|
Sheldon Manor house; well preserved lead-mining buildings at Magpie Mine.
|Scipelie: Mauger from Gilbert de Ghent.|
|Sirelunt: Warner from William Peverel.|
The church contains tombs of the Ferrers family.
|Sirelei(e): Henry de Ferrers. Church, mill.|
|Sothelle: Godric from Henry de Ferrers.|
|Scochetorp: Ralph FitzHubert. Lead mine.|
Part of Derby.
|Sedenfeld: William from Henry de Ferrers.|
|Smidesbi: Nigel of Stafford.|
|Snelletune: Burton Abbey; Ralph from Henry de Ferrers.|
Snitterton Hall (1590), an outstanding example of Peakland vernacular architecture.
|Sinetretone: King's land.|
Elizabethan Somershall Hall.
|Sommersale: Alchere from Henry de Ferrers.|
Birthplace of Jedediah Strutt (1726-97), whose spinning machine revolutionised the cotton industry.
|Normentune: Edwin from William Peverel.|
Wingfield Manor House where Mary Queen of Scots stayed.
|Winefeld: William Peverel from Count Alan and Robert from him.|
|Spondune: Henry de Ferrers. Church, mill.|
|Steinesbi: Roger de Poitou.|
|Stanlei: Robert FitzWilliam.|
Stanton (near Newhall)
Close to collieries and pottery manufacturers.
|Stantun: Henry de Ferrers.|
Stanton by Bridge
|Stantun: Ernwy from the king. Mill.|
Stanton by Dale
|Stantone: Gilbert de Ghent. Mill site.|
Stanton in the Peak
Stanton Moor has many prehistoric sites marking cremation burials.
|Stantune: Henry de Ferrers.|
|Stavelie: Hascoit Musard. Church, mill.|
|Steintune: Henry de Ferrers.|
|Stoche: King's land in the charge of William Peverel.|
|Holtune: Walter d'Aincourt.|
A summer well-dressing festival is held here.
|Middeltu(o)ne: King's land. Ralph FitzHubert.|
|Stratune: Robert from Ralph FitzHubert.|
Stretton Hall Farm.
|Stratune alia: Robert from Ralph FitzHubert.|
|Stertune: Henry de Ferrers. Mill.|
17th century Sudbury Hall, home of Queen Adelaide, wife of William IV for 3 years, has Grinling Gibbons carvings.
|Sudberie: Alchere from Henry de Ferrers. Church, mill. 100 eels.|
Sutton on the Hill
|Sudtun(e): Burton Abbey; Wazelin from Henry de Ferrers. Church, mill.|
Sutton Hall (1724), now a ruin, was the county's grandest mansion.
|Sudtune: Roger de Poitou. Mill.|
|Sivardingescotes: Nigel of Stafford.|
Spectacular; Swarkeston Bridge spans the Trent and runs 3/4 mile across meadows.
|Sorchestun / Suerchestune: King's land; Henry de Ferrers. Mill site.|