Central town of the Peak District, where the famous Bakewell tart originated; Roman and Saxon well sites. Chatsworth and Haddon Hall are nearby.
|Badequella: King's land. Church, mill, lead mine. Outliers: Burton, Conkesbury, Haddon, Holme, Monyash, One Ash, Rowsley.|
Prehistoric burial chambers on the crest of Minning Low hill; partly Norman chapel.
|Betidene: Ralph FitzHubert.|
It has had an association with cotton spinning ever since the original corn mill was converted 200 years ago.
|Banford: Ralph FitzHubert.|
Barlborough Hall; Barlborough House.
|Barleburg: Robert from Ralph FitzHubert. Church, 2 mills.|
|Barleie: Hascoit Musard; the king's thanes.|
|Bar(e)uue: King's land; Henry de Ferrers; Ralph FitzHubert, the pre-Conquest holder.|
|Barctune: Ralph from Henry de Ferrers. Church, 2 mills.|
Baslow Old packhorse toll bridge. Eagle Stone at Baslow Edge is a great gritstone boulder.
|Bereuuardescote: Burton Abbey; Henry de Ferrers.|
Beeley Scattered, with a brook running through it.
|Bectune: Roger de Poitou, the pre-Conquest holder; Ralph FitzHubert; Leofwin from Roger de Bully.|
Birchill Birchill Bank Wood; Birchill Bank Farm.
Museum of Bronze Age finds from Stanton Moor.
|Barcovere: Henry de Ferrers, the pre-Conquest holder.|
Blackwell (near Tideswell)
Jedediah Strutt, who with Arkwright invented the spinning jenny, had a farm here.
|Blacheuuelle: King's land.|
|Blanghesbi: King's land, formerly Roger de Poitou.|
Town. Bolsover Castle is Jacobean with a Norman keep. Charles I was entertained here with a masque by Ben Jonson.
|Belesovre: Robert from William Peverel.|
Bonsall Lead-mining; evidence of population in c.2000 BC. In the 19th century, it was a centre for framework knitting.
|Boletune: Ralph FitzHubert.|
200 Cavaliers were captured in Boylestone Church by Roundheads.
|Boilestun: Roger from Henry de Ferrers. Mill.|
The shaft of an 8th century cross remains in its churchyard.
|Bradeburne: Henry de Ferrers. Church.|
Bradley (in Belper)
|Bradelei: Henry de Ferrers. Church, 2 mills.|
Bradley (near Ashbourne)
Dr Johnson often visited Bradley Hall.
|Braidelei: Henry de Ferrers.|
Plain quarrying; formerly lead-mining. A well-dressing festival is held in August. Bagshaw Cavern is in Bradwell Dale.
|Bradewelle: William Peverel.|
There is a circular Saxon cross at All Saints Church.
|Brailesford: Elfin from Henry de Ferrers. ½ church, mill.|
|Branlege: Roger de Bully.|
|Brandune / tune: Walter d'Aincourt; Hascoit Musard.|
Quarrying; formerly a lead-mining centre. It is set among limestone caves in which prehistoric animal bones were found.
|Branzinctun: Henry de Ferrers.|
Normal All Saints Church was set on fire by suffragettes (1914). Erasmus Darwin spent his last years in Breadsall Priory.
|Braideshale: Henry de Ferrers and Robert from him. Church, mill.|
Suburb of Long Eaton.
|Bradestune / Braidestone / -tune: Herbert from Henry de Ferrers; Geoffrey d'Alselin and Gilbert de Ghent; the pre-Conquest holders; Mauger from Gilbert de Ghent; Fulk from Roger de Bully.|
Bretby Attractive; Bretby Park; earthworks in Castle Field.
Bubnell Attractive 17th century hall.
|Bubedene / dune: Bishop of Chester before and after 1066; Elfin from Henry de Ferrers. Church, mill.|
Burley Fields Farm in Darley Dale; Burley Hill; Burley Grange.
|Berleie: King's land. Church.|
|Burnulfestune: Henry de Ferrers.|
Burton Burton Close; Burton Moor.