[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?
  • External Links

  • Family History Society of Cheshire
  • Cheshire History through the Ages
  • Study of Domesday Astbury, Buglawton and Congleton

  • Cheshire L-Z

    Previous | Home | Next

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    Click here for details Click here for details

    L

    Lach Dennis
    Lece: William FitzNigel; Moran from Earl Hugh.

    Lache
    Leche: St. Werburgh's Church.
    Part of Chester.

    Landican
    Landechene: William Malbank.
    Part of Chester.

    Larkton
    Lavorchedone: Edwin and Drogo from Robert FitzHugh.

    Lawton
    Lautune: Hugh FitzNorman.
    Now the village of Church Lawton, and Buglawton, part of Congleton.

    Lea near Backford
    Wisdelea: St. Werburgh's Church.
    Lea Manor Farm; Lea Hall; Lea Farm.

    Lea Newbold
    Lai: Earl Hugh; Bigot de Loges.
    Lea Newbold Farm; Lea Hall with a moat.

    Ledsham
    Levetesham: Walter de Vernon.

    Leftwich
    Wice: Richard de Vernon.

    Leighton
    Lestone: William from Robert of Rhuddlan. 2 fisheries.
    Leighton Hall Farm.

    Little Budworth
    Bodeurde: Earl Hugh.
    Budworth Common, a country park; Budworth Pool.

    Little Caldy
    Calders:
    Lost.

    Little Leigh
    Lege: William FitzNigel; Earl Hugh.
    Near the Trent and Mersey Canal.

    Little Nestone
    Nestone: Robert Cook.
    Area near Newton.

    Lower Withington
    Hungrewenitune: Earl Hugh.
    The village of Withington is north of the Domesday site.

    Ludworth
    Lodeuorde: King's land.

    Lymm
    Lime: Gilbert de Venables; Edward from Osbern FitzTezzo. Church.
    Town on the Bridgewater Canal. Lymm Hall was the home of the Norman Domville family; the present house is part Elizabethan.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    M

    Macclesfield
    Maclesfeld: Earl Hugh. 2 hides paying tax. Land for 10 ploughs. In lordship 1; 4 slaves. Mill; woodland; 7 enclosures; meadow. Value TRE 8; now 20s. It was waste.

    Malpas
    Depenbech: Robert FitzHugh.
    Small, attractive town with half-timbered cottages; Malpas Castle, now earthworks.

    Manley
    Menlie: Earl Hugh.
    Manley Old Hall.

    Marbury
    Merberie: William Malbank, formerly Earl Harold.
    Hall; timbered cottages; 13th century church.

    Marlston
    Merlestone: Asgar from William FitzNigel.
    Marlston Heyes Farm.

    Marton
    Meretone / utune: Earl Hugh and Hugh FitzNorman from him.
    14th century timber chapel.

    Meols
    Melas: Robert of Rhuddlan.
    Coastal area. Roman and Saxon coins and jewellery were found at nearby Dove Point.

    Mere
    Mera: Gilbert de Venables.
    Mere Hall; lake.

    Mickle Trafford
    Traford: Earl Hugh.
    Large.

    Middle Aston
    Midestune:
    Lost; a moat and an Old Moat Wood remain.

    Middlewich
    Wich: Earl Hugh. Saltpan rendering 2 cartloads of salt.
    Town, with a 13th century borough charter; still produces salt.

    Millington
    Mulintune: William FitzNigel.
    Millington Hall.

    Minshull Vernon
    Maneshale / sele: William Malbank. Hawk's eyrie.
    Part of Church Minshull.

    Click here for details Click here for details

    Mobberley
    Motburlege: Bigot de Loges.
    Manor house.

    Mollington
    Molintune: Robert of Rhuddlan and Lambert from him.
    Mollington Grange.

    Mottram
    Motre: Gamel (whose father held it) from Earl Hugh. Hawk's eyrie.
    Now 2 villages, Mottram St. Andrew and Mottram Cross; Mottram Old Cross.

    Moulton
    Moletune: Richard de Vernon.
    Large.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    N

    Nantwich
    Wich: William Malbank, Salt-pit, salt-pans.
    Town, largely rebuilt (with the help of Elizabeth I) after a fire in 1583. Still has many black and white houses. Salt production from the Domesday pit continued until 1856.

    Ness
    Nesse: Walter de Vernon.
    Part of Neston; birthplace of Lady Hamilton (1761-1815).

    Neston
    Nestone: William FitzNigel. 2 parts of 2 hides pay tax. Land for 4 ploughs. 4 villagers, 2 smallholders, 1 slave. Value TRE 20s; now 25s.

    Nether Alderley
    Aldredelie: Bigot de Loges.
    16th century watermill.

    Netherleigh
    Lee:
    Lost.

    Nether Tabley
    Stablei: Jocelyn.
    Lake; ruined hall on island.

    Newbold Astbury
    Neubold: Gilbert Hunter from Earl Hugh.
    Now Astbury. The church was granted to St. Werburgh in the 11th century and rebuilt in the 13th and 16th centuries. The remains of Ashbury Yew are possibly pre-1066. Nearby is Newbold, on the edge of Congleton.

    Newton by Chester
    Neutone / Newentone: William FitzNigel.
    Part of Chester.

    Newton in Middlewich
    Neutone: Jocelyn.
    Newtonia, part of Middlewich.

    Noctorum
    Chenoterie: Richard from William Malbank.
    Part of Birkenhead.

    Norbury near Marbury
    Norberie: William Malbank, formerly Earl Harold.
    Norbury Common.

    Norbury near Stockport
    Nordberie: Bigot de Loges.
    Norbury Moor, part of Hazel Grove.

    North Rode
    Rodo: Bigot de Loges.
    Manor house; grange; Rode Hall Farm.

    Northwich
    Norwich / Wich: Earl Hugh. Salthouse.
    Town that still produces salt; damaged by subsidence from salt mining. There is a medieval motte and bailey on Castle Hill.

    Norton
    Nortune: Ansfrid from William FitzNigel.
    Wooded area on the outskirts of Runcorn; remains of Norton Priory.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    O

    Occlestone
    Aculvestune: Earl Hugh.
    Now Occlestone Green; manor farm.

    Odd Rode
    Rode: Hugh and William from Earl Hugh. Hawk's eyrie.
    Rode Heath; Rode Hall.

    Ollerton
    Alretune: Earl Hugh; Ranulf Mainwaring; Wulfric from Earl Hugh.
    Ollerton Grange; manor farm; Ollerton Hall nearby.

    Oulton
    Alretone: Nigel de Burcy.
    Oulton park car-racing circuit.

    Over
    Ovre: Earl Hugh.
    Part of Winsford; formerly a borough with its own mayor.

    Over Alderley
    Aldredelie: William.

    Overleigh
    Lee: Hugh de la Mere.
    Overleigh Road, Chester.

    Over Tabley
    Stab(e)lei: William FitzNigel.

    Overton
    Ovretune: Robert FitzHugh.
    Overton Hall; hamlet of Overton Heath nearby.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details

    P

    Peckforton
    Pevretone: Robert FitzHugh.
    At the foot of Peckforton Hills. Peckforton Castle was built in 1840.

    Peover
    Pevre: William FitzNigel; Gilbert de Venables; Ranulf Mainwaring. Hawk's eyrie.
    Now Lower Peover; mainly 14th century church. Peover Hall nearby.

    Picton
    Pichetone: Richard de Vernon.
    Picton Hall.

    Pool
    Pol: William Malbank.
    Now Overpool, part of Ellesmere Port.

    Poole
    Pol: William Malbank, formerly Wulfeva, a free woman.
    2 halls, 2 farms.

    Poulton
    Pontone: Richard Butler.
    Poultonhall Farm.

    Poulton Lancelyn
    Pontone: Roger from Osbern FitzTezzo.
    Poulton Hall.

    Prenton
    Prestune: Walter de Vernon. Mill.
    Part of Birkenhead.

    Puddington
    Potitone: Hamo de Mascy.
    2 halls; home farm.

    Pulford
    Pulford: St. Werburgh's Church; Hugh FitzOsbern.
    Earthworks of Pulford Castle; gateway to the Grosvernor Estate.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    R

    Raby
    Rabie: St. Werburgh's Church and William from the church; Hardwin from William FitzNigel.
    Flower farm.

    Redcliff
    Rade / Redeclive:
    Lost.

    Romiley
    Rumilie: Earl Hugh.
    Former cotton town close to Stockport.

    Rostherne
    Rodestorne: Gilbert de Venables.
    Rostherne Mere, a nature reserve; Cicely Mill, c.1650, nearby.

    Rushton
    Rusitone: Earl Hugh.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    S

    Saighton
    Saltone: St. Werburgh's Church.
    Saighton Grange with a 15th century gatehouse.

    Sandbach
    Sanbec: Bigot de Loges. 1 hide and 1 virgates pay tax. Land for 2 ploughs. 1 Frenchman has plough, 3 slaves. 2 villagers have plough. Church. Woodland. Value TRE 4s; now 8s.

    Saughall
    Salhale: St. Werburgh's Church; William Malbank. Fishery.
    Large.

    Shavington
    Santune: William Malbank.
    Large; Shavington House; Shavington Hall; Shavington Green Farm.

    Shipbrook
    Sibroc: Richard de Vernon.
    Shipbrookhill.

    Shocklach
    Socheliche: Drogo from Robert FitzHugh.
    Church with a 12th century chapel; remains of Shocklach Castle.

    Shotwick
    Sotowiche: St. Werburgh's Church.
    17th century hall.

    Shurlach
    Survelec: Richard de Vernon. Fishery.
    Higher Shurlach, an area on the outskirts of Northwich.

    Siddington
    Sudendune: Bigot de Loges.
    Sailing club at Redes Mere; Siddington Hall.

    Click here for details Click here for details

    Snelson
    Senelestune: Ranulf Mainwaring.
    Snelson House.

    Somerford
    Sumreford: Hugh FitzNorman.
    Somerford Hall Farm; Somerford Park Farm.

    Somerford Booths
    Sumreford: Tesselin from Earl Hugh.
    Somerford Booths Hall.

    Sproston
    Sprostune: William Malbank.
    Now Sproston Green; Sproston Hall.

    Spurstow
    Spuretone: Robert FitzHugh.
    2 halls; Spurstow Spa nearby.

    Stanney
    Stanei: Restald from Earl Hugh. Fishery.
    Now Little Stanney.

    Stapeley
    Steple: William Malbank.
    Stapeley Hall; Stapeley House.

    Stapleford
    Stapleford: Ralph Hunter. Mill.
    Stapleford Hall.

    Stoneley
    Stanleu: William Malbank, formerly Earl Harold.
    Now Stoneley Green.

    Storeton
    Stortone: Nigel de Burcy.

    Sunderland
    Sundreland: Gilbert Ranulf and Hamo from Earl Hugh.
    Area of Sinderland.

    Sutton (near Middlewich)
    Sud / Sutone: Earl Hugh; Bigot de Loges.
    Sutton Hall Farm.

    Sutton
    Sudtone: St. Werburgh's Church.
    Now Great and Little Sutton, in Ellesmere Port; Sutton New Hall; Sutton Lodge.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    T

    Tarporley
    Torpelei: Gilbert de Venables.
    Oldest hunting club in England.

    Tarvin
    Terve: Bishop of Chester.
    Georgian and half-timbered houses.

    Tattenhall
    Tatenale: William Malbank.
    Tudor cottages; Jacobean hall.

    Tatton
    Tatune: William FitzNigel; Ranulf Mainwaring.
    Tatton Hall (1788-1815); part 15th century hall in a large park.

    Tetton
    Tadetune: Ranulf Mainwaring.
    Tetton Hall.

    Thingwall
    Tuigvelle: Durand from William Malbank.
    Part of Heswall.

    Thornton Hough
    Torintone: William from Robert of Rhuddlan.
    Thornton Farm; manor house.

    Thornton le Moors
    Torentune: Bigot de Loges. Church.
    Attractive; 14th century church; moated site of an old hall.

    Thurstaston
    Turstanetone: William from Robert of Rhuddlan.
    Church; part 14th, part 17th century hall; Thurstaston Hill, a National Trust park.

    Tilston
    Tillestone: Robert FitzHugh. Mill.

    Tilstone Fearnall
    Tidulstane: William from Robert FitzHugh.
    Tilston Hall; Tilston Lodge.

    Tintwistle
    Tengestvisie: Earl Hugh.
    Also Tintwistle Low Moor on the Cheshire-Derbyshire border.

    Tiverton
    Tevretone: Robert FitzHugh.
    On the River Gowy.

    Tushingham
    Tusigeham: Humphrey from Robert FitzHugh.
    Tushingham House; Tushingham Hall.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details

    U

    Upton
    Optone: Colbert from William Malbank.
    Part of Birkenhead. A runic stone was found here.

    Upton by Chester
    Op(e)tone: Hamo, Herbert and Mundret from Earl Hugh.
    Part of Chester; also Upton Heath.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    W

    Walgherton
    Walcretune: William Malbank.
    Manor farm.

    Wallasey
    Walea: Robert of Rhuddlan.
    Town whose centre is still called Wallasey Village.

    Warburton
    Warburgetone / tune: William FitzNigel; Osbern FitzTezzo.
    14th century half-timbered church of St. Werburgh.

    Wardle
    Warhelle: Hugh FitzOsbern.
    Wardle Hall; Wardle Bridge Farm.

    Warford
    Wareford: Godgyth, a free woman, the pre-Conquest holder, from Ranulf Mainwaring.
    Warford House.

    Waverton
    Wavretone: Ilbert.
    Large; Jacobean farm beside the church.

    Weaver
    Wevre: Earl Hugh; Bigot de Loges.
    Weaver Hall.

    Weaverham
    Wivreham: Earl Hugh. Church, mill, 2 deer enclosures.
    Town with timbered houses; 15-16th century church.

    Werneth
    Warnet: Earl Hugh.
    Werneth Hall Farm.

    Wervin
    Wivevrene / revene: St. Werburgh's Church; William Malbank.
    Hall; ruins of a Norman chapel.

    Weston
    Westone: Odard and Brictric from William Malbank.
    Part of Runcorn; Weston Point docks on the Manchester Ship Canal.

    Wettenhall
    Watenhale: Gilbert de Venables.
    Wettenhall Hall; manor farm.

    Wharton
    Wanetune: Richard de Vernon.
    Part of Winsford in the Weaver Valley; centre of 19th century salt production.

    Wheelock
    Hoiloch: Ranulf Mainwaring.
    Wheelock Hall; Wheelock Heath nearby.

    Whitley
    Witelei: Payne and Orde from William FitzNigel.
    Now 2 villages, Higher and Lower Whitley; moated Whitley Hall; Whitley House Farm.

    Wilkesley
    Wiveslede: William Malbank. Hawk's eyrie.

    Willaston
    Wilavestune: William Malbank.
    Large; on the outskirts of Crewe.

    Willington
    Winfletone: Walter de Vernon.
    Now Willington Corner; manor farm; Willington Hall.

    Wimboldsley
    Wibaldelai: Earl Hugh; Bigot de Loges.
    Wimboldsley Hall on the Shropshire Union Canal.

    Wimbolds Trafford
    Tro(s)ford: Earl Hugh.
    Trafford Hall.

    Wincham
    Wimundisham: Gilbert de Venables. Hawk's eyrie.
    On Wincham Brook.

    Winnington
    Wenitone: Ranulf Mainwaring; Osbern FitzTezzo.
    Industrial area with a large chemical works. Scene of the Parliamentarian victory in 1659 that marked the end of the Cheshire Rising.

    Wirswall
    Wiresuelle / swelle: William Malbank, formerly Earl Harold.
    Wirswall Hall.

    Wistaston
    Wistanestune: William Malbank.
    Suburb of Crewe.

    Click here for details Click here for details

    Wisterson
    Wistetestune:
    Lost.

    Witton
    Witune: Gilbert Hunter. Mill.
    Witton Mill Bridge on Witton Brook in Northwich.

    Worleston
    Werelestune: William Malbank.

    Wrenbury
    Wareneberie: William Malbank. Hawks' eyrie.
    On the Shropshire Union Canal; Wrenbury Mill, now a boatyard; Wrenbury Hall, mainly Victorian.

    Wybunbury
    Wimeberie: Bishop of Chester and William from him. Priest.
    Moated site of an old hall.

    Previous | Top | Home | Next

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2013 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved