[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?
  • External Links

  • Family History Society of Cheshire
  • Cheshire History through the Ages
  • Study of Domesday Astbury, Buglawton and Congleton

  • Cheshire A-K

    Previous | Home | Next

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    A

    Acton
    Acatone / tune: William Malbank. Mill, hawk's eyrie; the manor has its assembly in the lord's hall.
    Church with Saxon stonework.

    Adlington
    Edulvintune: Earl Hugh. 4 hawk's eyries.
    Adlington Hall, c.1450.

    Alpraham
    Alburgham: Gilbert de Venables.

    Alsager
    Eleacier: Earl Hugh.
    Town. A mill, farm and hall mark the Domesday site on its outskirts.

    Alvanley
    Elvedelie: Leofric from Earl Hugh.

    Click here for details Click here for details

    Antrobus
    Entrebus: Earl Hugh.
    Antrobus Hall.

    Appleton
    Apletune: Osbern FitzTezzo.
    Now Appleton Thorn village and Appleton Moss, a hamlet nearby.

    Ashley
    Ascelie: Hamo de Mascy.
    Ashley Hall.

    Ashton (near Tarvin)
    Estone: Richard de Vernon.
    2 17th century halls nearby; Ashton Hayes, a house with its own park.

  • Ashton Hayes local history site
  • Aston (near Budworth)
    Estone: Payne from William FitzNigel.
    Aston Park House.

    Aston (near Sutton)
    Estone: William from St. Werburgh's Church; Odard from William FitzNigel. Mill.
    Aston Lodge; Aston Grange.

    Aston (in Newhall)
    Estune: William Malbank.

    Aston juxta Mondrum
    Estone: William Malbank.
    Aston Hall; Aston New Farm.

    Audlem
    Aldelime: Richard de Vernon. Hawk's eyrie.
    14th century church. Audlem Mill (now a workshop) is on the Shropshire Union Canal.

    Austerson
    Essetune: William Malbank. Hawk's eyrie.
    Austerson Old Hall.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    B

    Baddiley
    Bedelie: William Malbank.
    Now Baddiley Corner; farm.

    Barnston
    Bernestone: Ralph from William FitzNigel. 2 mills.
    Manor house; hospital; on the Wirral Peninsula.

    Barrow
    Bero: William FitzNigel. 2 mills.
    Now Great Barrow; hospital.

    Barthomley
    Bertemeleu: William Malbank. Hawk's eyrie.
    Scene of a massacre by the Royalists in 1643.

    Bartington
    Bertintune: Mundret and Wulfgeat from Earl Hugh.
    Bartington Hall Farm.

    Basford
    Berchesford: William Malbank.
    Basford Hall.

    Batherton
    Berdeltune: William Malbank.
    Batherton Hall.

    Beeston
    Buistane: Robert FitzHugh.
    The ruins of a 13th century castle built by the Earl of Chester are on Beeston Rock.

    Bickerton
    Bicretone: Drogo from Robert FitzHugh.
    Maiden Castle, an Iron Age fort.

    Bickley
    Bichelie: Fulk from Robert FitzHugh.
    Now 2 small villages, Bickley Town and Bickley Moss; Bickley Hall Farm.

    Blacon
    Blachehol: Ranulf Mainwaring. Fishery.
    Part of Chester.

    Blakenhall
    Blachenhale: Gilbert Hunter. Hawk's eyrie.
    Manor farm.

    Bosley
    Boselega: Hugh FitzNorman.
    On Bosley Reservoir.

    Bostock
    Botestoch: Richard de Vernon.
    Now Bostock Green; Bostock Hall School.

    Boughton
    Bocstone: St. Werburgh's Church.
    Boughton Heath, part of Chester.

    Bowdon
    Bogedone: Hamo de Mascy. Church, mill. Part of Altrincham and Hale.
    The church has fragments of Norman stonework.

    Bramhall
    Bramale: Hamo de Mascy.
    On the outskirts of Stockport. The grounds of the old hall are now a museum and park.

    Bredbury
    Bretberie: Wulfric, the pre-Conquest holder, from Richard de Vernon. Hawk's eyrie.
    Former cotton town.

    Brereton
    Bretone: Gilbert Hunter and 2 of his men from him. Mill.
    Now Brereton Green; 16th century Brereton Hall.

    Bridge Trafford
    Tro(s)ford: St. Werburgh's Church before and after 1066.
    Hall on the River Gowy.

    Click here for details Click here for details

    Broomhall
    Brunhala: William Malbank.
    Now Broomhall Green.

    Broxton
    Brosse: Roger and Picot from Robert FitzHugh.
    Broxton Old Farm.

    Buerton (near Audlem)
    Burtune: William Malbank. Hawk's eyrie.
    Buerton Hall; Buerton Moss hamlet nearby.

    Bunbury
    Boleberie: Robert FitzHugh.
    Pleasant; now merging with Lower Bunbury and Bunbury Heath hamlet.

    Burton (near Tarvin)
    Burtone: Bishop of Chester before and after 1066.
    Hall.

    Burwardsley
    Burwardeslei: Humphrey from Robert FitzHugh.
    Now 2 villages, Burwardsley and Higher Burwardsley, at the foot of Peckforton Hills.

    Butley
    Bote / Butelege: Robert FitzHugh; Wulfric from Earl Hugh.

    Byley
    Bevelei: Hugh FitzNorman.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    C

    Caldecott
    Caldecote: Hugh FitzOsbern. fishery.
    Now Caldecott Green; Caldecott Hall.

    Capenhurst
    Capeles: David from William FitzNigel.
    Hall.

    Capesthorne
    Copestor: Earl Hugh.
    Capesthorne Hall.

    Chapmonswiche
    Cepmundewiche:
    Lost.

    Cheadle
    Cedde: Gamel from Earl Hugh, formerly Gamel's father. Hawk's eyrie.
    Urban area of Cheadle and Cheadle Hulme.

  • Cheadle Hulme local history site
  • Cheaveley
    Cavelea: St. Werburgh's Church. Small boat and net.
    Cheaveleyhall Farm, near the River Dee.

    Chelford
    Celeford: Earl Hugh.
    Village with a Georgian church.

    Chester
    Cestre: Earl Hugh. The city had been devastated, but by 1086 many houses were rebuilt.
    Walled city, once the Roman camp of Deva. A Roman amphitheatre and part of the original ramparts remain. It has medeival galleried streets, Tudor houses, a cathedral and a castle.

    Cholmondeley
    Calmundelei: Edwin and Drogo from Robert FitzHugh.
    18th century castle, with a church, in a deer park.

    Cholmondeston
    Chelmundestone: William Malbank, formerly Wulfeva, a free woman.
    Cholmondeston Hall.

    Chorley
    Cerlere: William Malbank.

    Chorlton (near Nantwich)
    Cerletune: William Malbank.

    Chowley
    Celelea: Mundret from Robert FitzHugh, formerly Wulfeva, a free woman.

    Christleton
    Cristetone: Robert FitzHugh. Mill.
    Large. It was a Royalist outpost in the Civil War, near Rowton Moor, where Charles I was defeated in 1645.

    Church Minshull
    Maneshale / Manessele: William Malbank. Hawk's eyrie.
    Attractive. Minshull Farm is on an old moated site.

    Claverton
    Cleventone: Hugh FitzOsbern.

    Clifton
    Clistune: William from St. Werburgh's Church.
    Part of Runcorn.

    Clive
    Clive: Earl Hugh.
    Now Clive Green; Clive House.

    Clotton
    Clotone: Ilbert.
    Clotton Common.

    Clutton
    Clutone: William FitzNigel.
    Clutton Hall Farm.

    Coddington
    Cotintone: Earl Hugh. Mill.
    Attractive farmhouses; duckpond.

    Cogshall
    Cocheshalle: Payne from Richard de Vernon; Ranulf Mainwaring.
    Cogshall Farm.

    Conersley
    Kenardeslie:
    Lost.

    Congleton
    Cogeltone: Bigot de Loges.
    Town on the River Dane. The borough charter dates from the 13th century.

  • Congleton local history site
  • Coppenhall
    Copehale: William Malbank.
    Part of Crewe; the parishes of Church Coppenhall and Monks Coppenhall developed with the railway in the 19th century.

    Cranage
    Croeneche: Robert FitzHugh.
    Manor farm.

    Crewe (by Nantwich)
    Creu: Richard de Vernon.
    Town, developed in the 19th century with the railway. Crewe Green, a hamlet, nearby.

    Crewe (near Farndon)
    Creuhalle: Eli, the pre-Conquest holder, from Robert FitzHugh. fishery.

    Croughton
    Crostone: St. Werburgh's Church before and after 1066.
    Croughton Cottage.

    Croxton
    Crostune: Jocelyn.
    Croxton Hall Farm.

    Cuddington
    Cuntitone: Robert FitzHugh.
    Cuddington Green; Cuddington Hall.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details

    D

    Davenham
    Deveneham: Richard de Vernon.
    On the outskirts of Northwich.

    Davenport
    Deneport: Gilbert Hunter.
    Davenport Hall Farm.

    Dodleston
    Dodestune: Osbern FitzTezzo.
    Earthworks of a castle; Dodleston Hall, on a moated site.

    Duckington
    Dochintone: Edwin, the pre-Conquest holder, from Robert FitzHugh.

    Dunham on the Hill
    Doneham: Earl Hugh.

    Dunham Massey
    Doneham: Hamo de Mascy.
    Now Dunham Town on the outskirts of Greater Manchester.

    Dutton
    Duntune: William FitzNigel; Edward, the pre-Conquest holder, from Osbern FitzTezzo; Odard from Earl Hugh. Hawk's eyrie.
    2 farms and a hall nearby; also Dutton Hollow hamlet.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    E

    Eanley
    Enelelei: William FitzNigel.
    Eanleywood Farm, near an artificial ski slope on the outskirts of Runcorn.

    Eastham
    Estham: Earl Hugh. Mill.
    Part of Bebington; once a resort with a ferry to Liverpool.

    Eaton
    Etone: Earl Hugh. Fishery (1,000 salmon).
    Eaton Hall, part of the Grosvenor Estate.

    Eccleston
    Eclestone: Gilbert de Venables. Boat and net.
    On the Roman road to Chester.

    Eddisbury
    Edesberie: Earl Hugh.
    Eddisbury Hill. An Iron Age fort near Delamere Forest is all that remains of the Norman forests Mara and Mondrem.

    Edge
    Eghe: Edwin, the pre-Conquest holder, from Robert FitzHugh.
    Now Edge Green; Edge Hall and a manor house farm.

    Elton
    Eltone: Earl Hugh.
    On the outskirts of Ellesmere Port.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    F

    Farndon
    Ferentone: Bishop of Chester; Bigot de Loges. Mill.

    Frith
    Tereth: William Malbank.
    Frith-hall Farm.

    Frodsham
    Frotesham: Earl Hugh. Church, winter mill, 2 fisheries, salthouse for the hall.
    Town, once a major port at the mouth of the River Weaver. The church has 12th century arcades and fragments of Norman carving.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    G

    Gawsworth
    Gouesurde: Earl Hugh.
    Attractive; Georgian New Hall and rectory; 16th century Old Hall.

    Gayton
    Gaitone: William from Robert of Rhuddlan. 2 fisheries.
    Part of Heswall.

    Golborne
    Colborne / burne: William Malbank; Osbern FitzTezzo. Winter mill.
    Golborne Hall on Golborne Brook.

    Goostrey
    Gostrel: Ralph from William FitzNigel; Hugh FitzNorman.
    Large.

    Grappenhall
    Gropenhale: Edward from Osbern FitzTezzo.
    Suburb of Warrington. A Georgian hall is now a school.

    Greasby
    Gravesberie: Nigel de Burcy.
    Built up.

    Great Budworth
    Budewrde: Payne from William FitzNigel. Mill for the hall.
    17th century houses.

    Great Caldy
    Calders: Hugh de la Mere.
    Part of Hoylake. Caldy Hill is National Trust.

    Guilden Sutton
    Sudtone: Bishop of Chester; Robert FitzHugh.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details

    H

    Hadlow
    Edelaue:
    Lost.

    Hale
    Hale: Hamo de Mascy. Hawk's eyrie.
    Town with Altrincham.

    Halton
    Heletune: William FitzNigel.

    Hampton
    Hantone: Edwin and Drogo from Robert FitzHugh. Sparrow-hawk.
    Now Hampton Heath; hall.

    Handbridge
    Bruge: William FitzNigel; Hugh de la Mere; Hugh FitzOsbern.
    Part of Chester; once an industrial suburb.

    Handley
    Hanlei: Osbern FitzTezzo.

    Hargrave
    Haregrave: Robert Cook.
    Hargrave Hall; Hargrave Hall Farm.

    Hartford
    Herford: Gilbert de Venables. Salthouse, derelict salthouse.
    Town; a railway viaduct crosses the Weaver valley.

    Hassall
    Eteshale: William Malbank. Hawk's eyrie.
    Now 2 hamlets, Hassall (with a hall), and Hassall Moss.

    Hatherton
    Haretone: William Malbank.
    2 farms; lodge; manor house.

    Hatton
    Etune: Ilbert.
    Hatton Heath; moated hall; 2 farms; lodge.

    Helsby
    Helesbe: Earl Hugh.
    Town between Helsby marshes and Helsby Hill; traces of an Iron Age camp.

    Henbury
    Hamede / Hameteberie: Earl Hugh.
    Henbury Hall.

    Heswall
    Eswelle: Herbert from Robert of Rhuddlan.
    Recently developed town; long sea-front.

    High Legh
    Lege: Gilbert de Venables. Church.
    18th century High Legh Hall has a 16th century chapel in its park.

    Hollingworth
    Holisurde: Earl Hugh.
    Large.

    Hooton
    Hotone: Richard de Vernon.

    Huntington
    Hunditone: St. Werburgh's Church. Small boat and net.
    Huntington Hall.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    I

    Iddinshall
    Etringehalle: St. Werburgh's Church.
    Iddenshall Grange.

    Ince
    Inise: St. Werburgh's Church.
    Partly ruined manor house, c.1500, of the Abbots of Chester.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details

    K

    Kermincham
    Cerdingham: Hugh FitzNorman.
    Kermincham Hall.

    Kinderton
    Cinbretune: Gilbert Hunter.
    Kinderton Lodge.

    Kingsley
    Chingeslie: Dunning from Earl Hugh. 1 fisheries, hawk's eyrie, 4 deer parks.
    Church designed by Gilbert Scott.

    Kinnerton
    Edritone: Richard from Hugh FitzOsbern.

    Knutsford
    Cunetesford: William FitzNigel. Egbrand holds from him. hide pays tax. Land for 2 ploughs. It was and is waste. Woodland league long and 2 acres wide. Value was 10s.

    Previous | Top | Home | Next

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2013 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved