[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?
  • External Links

  • Cambridgeshire History and Domesday records

  • Cambridgeshire L-Z

    Previous | Home | Next

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    L

    Landbeach
    Bece / Bech: Walter from Count Alan; Osmund from Picot of Cambridge. 1000 eels.

    Click here for details Click here for details

    Linden End
    Lindone:
    Lost.

    Linton
    Lintone:
    Count Alan. 2 mills. Georgian and Queen Anne high street; windmill.

    Litlington
    Lidlin(g)tone / Li(d)tingtone: William the Chamberlain and Otto the Goldsmith from the king; Aethelwulf from Hardwin of Scales.
    A 30-room Romano British house was found here in 1936.

    Little Gransden
    Gra(n)tedene: Abbot of Ely.

    Little Linton
    Alia Lintone: Count Alan. Mill.
    Small Tudor grange.

    Littleport
    Litelport: Abbot of Ely. Fisheries (17,000 eels).
    Small town; light industry.

    Little Thetford
    Liteltetford: Abbot of Ely. Fisheries (3250 eels).

    Lolworth
    Lolesuuorde: Robert from Picot of Cambridge. Mill.

    Longstanton
    Stantone / tune: Picot from Count Alan; Hugh from Gilbert FitzThorold; Guy from Picot of Cambridge; William FitzAnsculf.
    Formerly 2 villages; now 2 churches and an RAF base.

    Longstowe
    Stou: Guy from Ramsey Church; Aelmer from Count Alan; man-at-arms and 2 Englishmen from Hardwin of Scales.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    M

    Madingley
    Mading(e)lei: Picot from Bishop of Lincoln; Picot of Cambridge.
    Thatched houses; on the edge of Madingley Hall park. Edward VII lodged in the Tudor hall when he was a Cambridge undergraduate.

    March
    Mercha / Merche: Abbot of Ely; St. Edmund's.
    A market town with large railway marshalling yard, it was a hamlet until the 19th century and the coming of the railway.

    Melbourn
    Melleborne / burne: Abbot of Ely. 2 hides and 1 virgate. Land for 5 ploughs. 6 villagers, 9 smallholders, 3 cottagers. Mill; meadow; pasture for village livestock. Value 100s; TRE 6. The Abbot also holds from Earl Roger hide less the fourth part of 1 virgate. 1 villager. Meadow for plough. Value 5s. Goda held this land before from Earl Algar. Colswein holds 3 virgates from Count [Alan]. 3 smallholders, 1 slave. Meadow. Value 20s; TRE 40s. Durand holds 1 hide and 1 virgate from Hardwin. 1 villager with 2 smallholders, 3 cottagers. Meadow; pasture. Value 25s; TRE 40s.
    Several moated houses.

    Meldreth
    Melrede: Abbot of Ely and Hardwin and Guy from Raimbeaucourt from him; Abbot of St. Evroul from Earl Roger; Colswein from Count Alan; Hardwin of Scales and Hugh from him; Guy de Raimbeaucourt. 7 mills, monastery.
    Old stocks and whipping post.

    Milton
    Middletone: Ralph from Picot of Cambrige. 650 eels.
    On the River Cam, close to Cambridge.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    O

    Oakington
    Hochinton(e): Alfgeat the priest from Abbot of Ely before and after 1066; Abbot of Crowland; 3 men-at-arms from Picot of Cambridge; Roger from Countess Judith; the wife of Boselin de Dives.

    Orwell
    Ord(e)uuelle / Ore(d)uuelle: Chatteris nunnery before and after 1066; Earl Roger; Picot from Count Alan; Walter from Walter Giffard; Robert Gernon; Sigar from Geoffrey de Mandeville; Durand from Hardwin of Scales; Ralph from Guy de Raimbeaucourt. 2 mills.

    Over
    Oure: Ramsey Church; Chatteris nunnery before and after 1066; Ralph from Hardwin of Scales; Sawin from Picot of Cambridge; Roger from Countess Judith.
    18th century houses.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    P

    Pampisford
    Pampesuuorde: Abbot of Ely and Hardwin from him; 2 men-at-arms from Count Alan; Pirot from Eudo FitzHubert; Hardwin of Scales; Ralph from Picot of Cambridge; a priest from Countess Judith. Mill.
    Thatched cottages. Brent Ditch was a 4th century rampart across the Roman Icknield Way.

    Papworth
    Papeuuorde / Papeworde: Count Alan; William from Richard FitzGilbert; Gilbert de Ghent; Payne from Hardwin of Scales; Eustace of Huntingdon and Walter and Ordnoth, the pre-Conquest holder, from him; Picot of Cambridge.
    Now 2 villages, Papworth Everard and Papworth St. Agnes. Sir Thomas Malory, author of Morte d'Arthur, died in St. Agnes in the 15th century.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    Q

    Quy
    Coeia: Picot from Abbot of Ely; Reginald from Aubrey de Vere; Picot of Cambridge. 3 mills.
    Water mill on Quy Water. A mid-19th century hall stands on the site of the old village. The new village is Stow-cum-Quy.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details

    R

    Rampton
    Rantone: Roger from Picot of Cambridge.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    S

    Sawston
    Salsiton(e): Abbot of Grestain from Count of Mortain; Roger from Geoffrey de Mandeville; Picot from Eudo FitzHubert. 4 mills.
    Large; paper mills; leather industry. Tudor Sawston Hall, now a conference centre, was burnt down by the Protestants in 1553 because the owner had sheltered Mary Tudor, but it was subsequently rebuilt.

    Saxon Street
    Sextone: Aubrey de Vere.
    Moated hall.

    Shelford
    Escelford(e) / Scelfort: Peter de Valognes from the king; formerly Earl Harold; Abbot of Ely and Hardwin and 7 freemen from him; Hardwin from Count Alan; Hardwin of Scales. 2 mills, monastery.
    Now 2 villages, Great Shelford, joined to Stapleford, and Little Shelford, across the River Granta.

    Shepreth
    Escrepid(e): Hardwin of Scales; Chatteris nunnery; Reginald from Count Alan; Sigar from Geoffrey de Mandeville; Hardwin of Scales and Hugh from him. 4 mills.
    Scattered; 3 manor houses; 2 mills (one a house).

    Shingay
    Scelgei: Earl Roger. Mill.
    Shudy Camps: See
    Castle Camps.

    Silverley
    Severlai:
    Lost.

    Snailwell
    Snellewelle: Hugh de Port from Bishop of Bayeux.
    The 'well' is the source of the River Sanil.

    Soham
    Saham: King's land; Abbot of Ely; St. Edmund's; Adestan from Count Alan. 2 mills, fisheries (3500 eels). Corn, malt, honey, fishing net. Small town; 2 windmills.
    Site of a 7th century cathedral, detroyed in the 9th century by the Danes.

  • Soham local history site

    Stapleford
    Stapleforde: Abbot of Ely.
    Large; mostly modern houses. Joined to Great Shelford.

    Steeple Morden
    Mordune: Bishop of Winchester; Earl Roger; Hardwin of Scales. 5 mills.
    Scattered; windmill.

    Stetchworth
    Sti(ui)cesuuorde / Stuuicesworde: Abbot of Ely and Hardwin of Scales from him; Count Alan; Hardwin of Scales.
    Once a town.

    Stretham
    Stradham: Abbot of Ely. Fisheries.
    Large; site of a Roman villa.

    Stuntney
    Stuntenei: Abbot of Ely. Fisheries (24,000 eels).
    Overlooks a main road built on a Bronze Age causeway. Cromwell's mother lived at the 17th century Old Hall.

    Sutton
    Sudrone: Abbot of Ely. Fisheries.
    Large. Burystead Farm, partly 14th century, is said to have been a priory.

    Swaffham
    Suaf(h)am: Abbot of Ely and Hardwin from him; Geoffrey and 3 men-at-arms from Count Alan; Hugh from Walter Giffard; Hardwin of Scales; Aubrey de Vere. 4 mills. 300 eels.
    Now 2 villages, Swaffham Bulbeck with an 18th century Abbey House containing the remains of a 12th century nunnery, and Swaffham Prior with 2 derelict windmills.

    Swavesey
    Suavesy(e): Count Alan; Picot from Robert Gernon; Gilbert de Ghent. Mill, fisheries (3750 eels). 225 eels.
    Thatched cottages.

  • bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    T

    Tadlow
    Tadelai: Picot of Cambridge; Picot from Countess Judith; Azelina, wife of Ralph Tailbois. Mill.

    Teversham
    Teuersham / Teuresham: Abbot of Ely; Count Alan and Robert from him; John FitzWaleran.

    Thriplow
    Trepeslai / au: Abbot of Ely and Hardwin of Scales from him; Sigar from Geoffrey de Mandeville; Hardwin of Scales.
    Near a spring. Nine Holes.

    Toft
    Tofth: Count Alan; 2 men-at-arms from Picot of Cambridge; Erchenger the baker.

    Trumpington
    Trunpinton(e): Arnulf d'Ardres from Count Eustace; William de Warenne; Hervey from Picot of Cambridge; Robert Fafiton; Godlamb from Countess Judith. Mill.
    Large; part of Cambridge.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    W

    Waterbeach
    Vtbech: Mucel from Picot of Cambridge; 2 of the king's carpenters.
    Large.Denny Abbey, originally a Benedictine monastery, later housed the Knight's Templar; after them, Franciscan nuns.

    Wendy
    Wandei / Wandrie: Odo from Count Alan; Alfred from Hardwin of Scales. 2 mills.

    Wentworth
    Winteworde: Abbot of Ely.

    Westley Waterless
    Weslai: Abbot of Ely; 2 men-at-arms from Count Alan; Hardwin of Scales; Countess Judith.

    Weston Colville
    Westone: Count Alan and Wymarc from him; William de Warenne and Walter from him; Hardwin of Scales and Durand from him.
    Mostly modern.

    Westwick
    Westuuiche: Odo from Picot of Cambridge; Robert from David d'Argenton.
    Westwick Hall.

    West Wickham
    Wicheham: Abbot of Ely; Count Alan; Lambert from William de Warenne; Wulfeva from Richard FitzGilbert; Hardwin of Scales.
    Thatched barns.

    West Wratting
    Waratinge: Abbot of Ely and Hardwin of Scales from him; Aelmer from Count Alan; Lambert from William de Warenne; Hardwin of Scales.

    Whaddon
    Wadone / Wadune: Hardwin of Scales from Abbot of Ely; Colswein and Ralph from Count Alan; Hardwin from Richard FitzGilbert; Hardwin of Scales.
    Now Whaddon Gap barracks; the village has moved to the north-east.

    Whittlesey
    Witesie: Abbot of Ely; Thorney Church. Weir.
    Small brickmaking town on a fen 'island'.

    Whittlesford
    Witelesforde: Gerard from Count Alan; Hardwin of Scales; Countess Judith. 3 mills.
    Large green; 18th century mill-house; now an extension of the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge.

    Whitwell
    Watuuelle / Witeuuella: Earl Roger; Fulkwy from Count Alan; Robert the Bald from Hardwin of Scales; Ralph from Picot of Cambridge.
    Whitwell Farm.

    Wicken
    Wicha: Count Alan. 3 mills. 4250 eels, 3 fishing nets.
    Restored windmill. Wicken Fen is still natural fenland.

    Wilbraham
    Wiborgham / Witborham: King's land; Odo from Count Alan; Aubrey de Vere. 3 mills. Honey, corn, malt.
    Now 2 villages, Great and Little Wilbraham; a former windmill is now a house.

    Wilburton
    Wilbertone: Abbot of Ely.
    Timber-framed houses.

    Willingham
    Wiuelingham: Abbot of Ely; a freeman from Count Alan; Roger from Picot of Cambridge.
    Large; 2 derelict windmills. Belsar House is a Bronze Age fort.

    Wimpole
    Winepol(e): Count Alan; Humphrey from Eudo FitzHubert.
    Large stately home, Wimpole Hall (1640), with a park and folly.

    Wisbech
    Wisbece: Abbot of Ely and 2 fishermen from him; St. Edmund's; Ramsey Church; Crowland church; William de Warenne. Fisheries (3750 eels), vines.
    Important town, centre for the fen country's fruit and flower industry; museum on the site of Wisbech Castle.

    Witcham
    Wiceham: Abbot of Ely.

    Witchford
    Wiceford(e): Abbot of Ely.
    Thurstan, Ely's last Saxon abbot, was born here, and the monks of Ely met the Conqueror here to make their submission.

    Woodditton
    Ditone: William de Noyers from the king; Wighen from Count Alan.
    At one end of the Devil's Dyke ditch and bank across the Roman Icknield Way.

    Wratworth
    Warateuuorde / Werateuuorde:
    Lost.

    Previous | Top | Home | Next

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2013 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved