Previous | Home | Next
Bedford suburb. Site of Anglo-Saxon and Roman excavations. An old mill stands on the river.
|Cameston(e): Countess Judith. Mill.
|Canesworde: St. Paul's of London.
Now 2 small villages, Keysoe and Keysoe Row.
|C(h)aisot: Hugh de Beauchamp; Hugh Hubald from Osbern FitzRichard; William de Warenne; Alwin, the king's thane, the pre-Conquest holder.
|Chenotinga: Bishop of Coutances.
Large; new housing; mill on the river.
|Langeford: Walter of Flanders. 2 mills.
Market town; 15th century market cross.
|Lestone: King's land with Bishop of Lincoln holding the church. 2 mills, market. Wheat, honey.
Lidlington local history site
|Litinclitone: Abbess of Barking.
|Bereforde: Eudo FitzHubert from St. Benedict's of Ramsey and Osbern from him; Osbern FitzWalter. Mill.
Large industrial town with an airport; site of Iron Age, Roman and Saxon settlements. Luton Hoo is a vast Adam mansion with gardens by Capability Brown.
|Lintone / Loitone: King's land with William the Chamberlain holding the church. 6 mills, market, church. Wheat, honey.
Several Tudor half-timbered houses; brickmaking centre since the 16th century.
|Mer(e)stone: Hugh de Bolbec from Walter Giffard; Herfast from Nigel d'Aubigny.
|Meldone: Hugh de Bolbec from Walter Giffard; Hugh de Beauchamp; Nigel d'Aubigny; Countess Judith and the nuns of Elstow from her; a reeve of the king. Mill.
17th century manor house; thatched cottages.
Melchbourne local history site
|Melceburne: Bishop of Coutances.
. Market gardening. A 17th century timber-framed manor house is built on the site of a Norman castle owned by William de Meppershall, the royal larderer.
|Malpertesselle / Maperteshale: Gilbert FitzSolomon
Millbrook local history site
|Melebroc: Nigel de Le Vast from Nigel d'Aubigny. 2 mills.
|Melehou: Bishop of Durham; Ralph from Walter Giffard; William d'Eu.
17th century manor house.
|Middletone / Mildentone: Ansgot from Bishop of Bayeux; William Froissart from Hugh de Beauchamp.
Victorian manor house.
|Middletone / Mildentone: Miles Crispin and William Basset from Hugh de Beauchamp; Thorgils from Nigel d'Aubigny; Reginald from Walter of Flanders; Ivo, Hugh de Grandmesnil's steward from Adelaide, Hugh de Grandmesnil's wife; a beadle from the king. Mill.
Part of Leighton Buzzard.
|Gledelai: Jocelyn le Breton. Mill.
|Nortigble / Nortgiue(le): Pirot and Ralph from Eudo FitzHubert; Walter from Hugh de Beauchamp; William Speke. 1½ mills.
Large. Rush mats were made here.
Oakley local history site
|Achelei(a): 2 men-at-arms from Robert de Tosny; Miles Crispin from Coutess Judith. Mill.
On the River Ouse. An old mill is now a house.
Odell local history site
|Wad(eh)elle: Arnulf d'Ardres from Count Eustace; Walter of Flanders. Mill (200 eels).
Aircraft museum founded by the Shuttleworth family. A 1st century bronze mirror and medieval floor tiles were unearthed here.
|Wardone: William Speke; Ralph de l'Isle; Walter the monk from Azelina, Ralph Tailbois' wife (of her marriage portion). Mill.
Pretty; stone houses. Once the centre of the rush-mat making industry.
|Pabeneham: Arnulf d'Ardres from Count Eustace; Robert FitzNigel from Ranulf, brother of Ilger; Thurstan the Chamberlain. Mill.
|Pechesdone: St. Benedict's of Ramsey. 2 mills.
Jacobean manor house.
Pertenhall local history site
|Partenhale: William from Bishop of Lincoln.
|Podintone / Potintone: Hugh from Walter of Flanders; Hugh of Flanders; William Peverel.
|Polehangre: Martell from Robert d'Oilly.
|Potesgrava / grave: William the Chamberlain; Jocelyn le Breton; a groom of the king; Herbert, the king's reeve.
Small market town.
|Potone: Countess Judith and Hugh from her. Mill.
A few scattered farms.
|Prestelei: Thorgils from Nigel d'Aubigny; a reeve of the king.
Fast-growing. Site of an 18th century gold mine.
|Polochessele: Roger and Rhiwallon from Nigel d'Aubigny.
Part of Bedford.
Putnoe local history site
|Putenehou: Hugh de Beauchamp. Mill.
|Radeuuelle: Nigel de Le Vast from Nigel d'Aubigny; Hugh from Countess Judith. Mill.
Straggling; one of the county's first brickmaking centres.
|Riselai: 2 Frenchmen and 6 Englishmen from Bishop of Coutances; Godfrey from Bishop of Lincoln; Hugh de Beauchamp and Alric from him. Hugh Hubald from Osbern FitzRichard; David d'Argenton.
The countryman's linen smock was initiated here in 1714.
|Rochesdone / stone: Rhiwallon from Hugh de Beauchamp; William Speke. Mill (260 eels).
|Saleford: Hugh de Beauchamp. Mill.
|Salchou: Hugh de Beauchamp.
Small town. Sandy Lodge is the headquarters of the RSPB.
Sandy local history site
|Sandeia: Eudo FitzHubert. 2 mills.
Segenhoe manor farm.
|Segenehou: Walter brother of Sihere.
Large. Tofte House is part 1613; Sharnbrook House is 18th century. The old windmill has been converted into a clock tower.
Sharnbrook local history site
|Sernebroc / Serneburg: Bishop of Coutances and Thorgils, 7 freemen and Humphrey from him; Robert FitzRozelin from Count Eustace; Osbert de Breuil from Hugh de Beauchamp; Robert from Hugh of Flanders; Osbern Fisher; Albert de Lorraine; Hugh from Countess Judith; Aelmer. 2 mill, fishpond.
Shelton (Marston Moretaine)
Now 2 small villages, Upper and Lower Shelton.
|Es(s)eltone: Herfast and Stephen from Nigel d'Aubigny; Albert de Lorraine; Adelaide, Hugh de Grandmesnil's wife.
Shelton (nr Swineshead)
The site of Shelton Hall dates from medieval times.
|Eseltone: 2 freemen from Bishop of Coutances.
Hilltop, Danish earthworks nearby, half-timbered houses.
|Sethlindone: St. Benedict's of Ramsey. Broken mill.
Wrest House in Wrest Park.
|Sewilessou / Siuuilessou: A concubine of Nigel d'Aubigny; Hugh from Walter brother of Sihere. Mill.
Its great house belonged to the Byng family (Admirals Sir George and John), the to Samuel Whitbread.
|Sudgible / uele: William de Cairon from Eudo FitzHubert; Hugh de Beauchamp; 2 Frenchmen from William Speke; Walter of Flanders and Alric from him; Richard Poynant; Hugh from Coutess Judith. 200 eels.
|Stachesdene: Herbert FitzIvo from Bishop of Bayeux; Godwy from Count Eustace; Hugh de Beauchamp; Hugh from Countess Judith.
|Stanford(e): William de Cairon and 7 freemen from Eudo FitzHubert; Hugh de Beauchamp and Roger from him; Hugh from William Speke; Roger from Azelina, Ralph Tailbois' wife (of her marriage portion); Alric and Ordwy from the king. 2½ mills.
|Stepigelai: William FitzReginald from William Speke.
Complete 18th century postmill.
|Stiuentone: Arnulf from Count Eustace.
Now 2 hamlets, Upper and Lower Stondon.
|Standone: St. Benedict's of Ramsey; Engelhere from Azelina, Ralph Tailbois' wife.
Disused mill on the Ivel.
|Stodfald / Stotfalt: Hugh de Beauchamp. 4 mills (400 eels).
Part of Biggleswade.
|Stratone: Fulchere de Paris from Walter Giffard; Walter of Flanders; Ralph de l'Isle; Fulchere de Paris from Countess Judith.
Georgian Streatley House.
|Stradl(e)i / Straillei: Walter from William d'Eu; William de Loucelles from Hugh de Beauchamp; Pirot from Nigel d'Aubigny; Hugh from William Speke; the reeve of the Hundred.
Straw plaiting was made here.
|Estodham: Baldric from Robert de Tosny.
Part of St. Neots.
|Subberie: Richard FitzGilbert.
Sundon Now Upper Sundon (site of cement works), Sundon Park (part of Luton) and Lower Sundon, a hamlet.
Medieval packhorse bridge; ford.
|Sudrone: Alwin from Eudo FitzHubert; Thorkell, Alwin, Leofgar, Robert, Sweeting and Robert, Thorbert, Godwin and Edric from Countess Judith; Alwin, the king's reeve.
Swineshead local history site
|Suineshefet: Eustace from William de Warenne; Ralph from Eustace the Sheriff.
Mill, now a sawmill.
|Tamiseforde: William de Cairon from Bishop of Lincoln; Eudo FitzHubert and William de Cairon from him; Robert from Richard Poynant; Alwin, the king's reeve. 2 mills.
|Lalega: Leofric from Miles Crispin; Leofgeat from Hugh de Beauchamp; Robert d'Oilly; Richard Basset and Solomon the priest from him; Hugh and Reginald from Walter of Flanders.
15th century gatehouse.
|Pileworde: Ambrose from William Peverel.
|Tingrei: Thorgils from Nigel d'Aubigny.
Large. Henrietta Wentworth, mistress of the Duke of Monmouth, lived here in the 17th century.
|Dodintone / Totingetone: Arnulf de Hesdin.
Large; site of a Roman villa. Doo Little Mill is now a house.
|Totenhou: Osbert from Walter of Flanders; William the Chamberlain. 4 mills.
Held by Alneto family after 1066. In the 13th century two heiresses married into the Morduant and d'Ardres families, giving the manors of Morduant and Ardres their names. These were merged into Morduant Manor in the 1300s. Tornai stayed in their family until 1786 when it was lost through allegiance to royalty.
|Tornai: Bishop of Coutances holds 4 hides. 6 ploughs. In lordship 2 hides; 3 ploughs. 3 villagers with 3 ploughs, 8 smallholders, 1 slave. Mill, 20s; meadow for 2 ploughs; woodland, 40 pigs. Total value £6; when acquired 40s; TRE £6. 3 Freemen, held this manor; they could sell and grant. Held by the Bishop in exchange for Bleadon. Ernulf d'Ardres, Warner, Nigel de la Vast hold 1 hide each; 2 knights, 2 hides from Robert de Tosny; Alwine the priest, a third of a half hide from the King.
Part of Wilstead.
|Wescote: Nigel d'Aubigny; Ordwy, the king's reeve.
|Westone: King's land, formerly Earl Harold.
|Wildene: Herbert from Bishop of Bayeux and his nephew Hugh from him.
2 Tudor buildings: a dovecote with 1400 openings; a stable.
|Wel(i)tone: Hugh de Beauchamp. Mill.
Growing; manor house now an hotel.
|Wescota: Countess Judith and the nuns of Elstow from her.
Mainly 18th century houses. The park of Woburn Abbey, home of the dukes of Bedford since the 17th century, is now a wildlife safari park.
Woburn local history site
|Woberne / burne: Walter Giffard; Herbert, the king's reeve.
Once a brickmaking centre. Church bells were also made here.
|Otone: Albert de Lorraine.
|Wiboldestone / tune: Eudo FitzHubert from St. Benedict's of Ramsey; Eudo FitzHubert; Wimund from Hugh de Beauchamp; Pirot from Nigel d'Aubigny; monks of St. Neot's from Richard FitzGilbert; Iudichael from Azelina, Ralph Tailbois' wife.
Bronze Age axes were found here. A smockmill stood until the 20th century.
|Wimentone: Walter from William Speke; Glew from Alfred of Lincoln; Osbert from Walter of Flanders; 5 brothers with their mother and Thorkell from the king.
Site of a Norman motte and bailey castle; the mound remains.
Yelden local history site
|Giveldene: Geoffrey de Trelly from Bishop of Coutances.
Previous | Top | Home | Next
© 1999-2013 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved