[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • External Links

  • Domesday     Bedfordshire
  • Bedfordshire A-H

    Previous | Home |Next

    A
    Click here for details Click here for details

    Ampthill
    Ammetelle: Nigel de la Vast from Nigel d'Aubigny.
    Small Georgian town. Ampthill Park is now a Cheshire Home.

  • Ampthill local history site

    Arlesey
    Alricesei: Bishop of Durham; Bernard from William d'Eu; Herfast from Nigel d'Aubigny; Wulfsi. 3 mills.
    Large, straggling; brickworks.

    Aspley Guise
    Aspeleai: Acard d'Ivry from Hugh de Beauchamp. Mill.
    18th century Guise House was a boy's school.

    Astwick
    Estuuiche: Bernard, Weneling and Ledmer from Hugh de Beauchamp; Hugh from Walter of Flanders. 2 mills.

  • bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    B

    Barton-in-the-Clay
    Bertone: St Benedict's of Ramsey before and after 1066.
    Large.

    Barwythe
    Bereuuorde: Baldric from Robert de Tosny.

    Battlesden
    Badelesdone / tone: Richard Talbot from Walter Giffard; Robert from William the Chamberlain; Azelina, Ralph Tailbois' wife.
    Only Battlesden Park remains of a large house demolished in 1885.

    Bedford
    Bedeford: Bishop of Lincoln. Church.
    Prosperous county town. John Bunyan was imprisoned here for 12 years. On the site of the Norman castle. Cecil Higgins Art Gallery.

  • Bedford local site
  • Beeston
    Bistone: Roland, Norman and Pirot from Eudo FitzHubert; William Speke; Thurstan the Chamberlain; Godmund; Alwin from the King. Mill.

    Biddenham
    Bideham: Ernwin the priest from Bishop of Lincoln; Ordwy of Bedford from St. Edmunds; St. Pauls of Bedford; Serlo de Rots from Hugh de Beauchamp; Ralph and Serlo de Rots from William Speke; Burgesses of Bedford; Oscar of Bedford; Godwin; Ordwy; Wulfmer. 2 mills.
    Outskirts of Bedford. A gallows stood at Gallows Corner until 1802.

  • Biddenham local history site

    Biggleswade
    Bichelesuuade: Ralph de l'Isle. 2 mills.
    Town which has had a market since 1227. Once an important coaching stop.

    Biscot
    Bissopescote: King's land.
    Part of Luton.

    Bletsoe
    Bach / Blecheshou: Osbert de Breuil from Hugh de Beauchamp; Osbern from Countess Judith. Mill.

    Blunham
    Blunham: St. Edmund's; Dominic from Eudo FitzHubert; St. Edmunds from Countess Judith. Mill.
    On the Ivel; Blunham Mill House; South Mills, fertilizer works. The poet John Donne spent summers here.

  • Blunham local history site

    Bolnhurst
    Bolehestre: Tovi the priest and 2 freemen from Bishop of Bayeux; Bishop of Coutances; St. Mary's of Thorney; Hugh from Countess Judith.
    Scattered; timber-framed farmhouses.

    Bromham
    Brime / Bruneham: Arnulf de Ardres from Count Eustace; Serlo de Rots from Hugh de Beauchamp; Hugh from Countess Judith; Osgeat from the king. 2 mills (225 eels).
    Large; mill; 16th century Bromham House. The medieval bridge with 26 arches is the county's longest. Bromham Hall is 16th century.

    Broom
    Brume: Nigel de la Vast from Nigel d'Aubigny.

  • bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    C

    Caddington
    Cadendone: St. Paul's of London.
    Straw plaiting was done here.

    Cainhoe
    Cainou: Nigel d'Aubigny; Thurstan from Avelina, Ralph Tailbois' wife. Mill.
    Medieval Cainhoe Manor Farm; remains of a Norman motte and bailey castle.

    Campton
    Chambeltone: Ralph de Lanquetot from Walter Giffard; Fulbert from William d'Eu; Thurstan.

  • Campton local history site

    Cardington
    Chernetone: Hugh de Beauchamp: Hugh from Countess Judith. Mill.
    Cottages, owned by the Whitbread brewing family in the 18th century. The ill-fated R101 airship was built here.

  • Cardington local history site

    Carlton
    Carlehtone: Herbert FitzIvo from Bishop of Bayeux; Ketel and Bernard from Nigel d'Aubigny; Osbern Fisher and Ketelbert from the king. Mill.
    Saxon church.

    Chalgrave
    Celgrave: Arnulf de Hesdin; Albert de Lorraine.
    Chalgrave Manor.

    Chalton
    Cerlentone: Adelaide; Hugh de Grandmesnil's wife. Mill.

    Chawston
    Clane / Chauelstorne: Eudo FitzHubert; Rhiwallon from Hugh de Beauchamp; William FitzRainward and William Gross from William Speke. Mill.
    Market gardens.

    Chicksands
    Chichesana: William de Cairon from Bishop of Lincoln; 3 freemen and Walter from Azelina, Ralph Tailbois' wife (it is of her dowry). Mill.
    US airforce base; medieval Chicksands Priory.

  • Chicksands local history site

    Clapham
    Clopeham: Miles Crispin; claimed by Ramsey Abbey, which used it for supplies before 1066. Mill.
    Large; 85ft high Saxon tower; new housing.

    Clifton
    Cliftone: William de Cairon from Bishop of Lincoln, Eudo FitzHubert and Nigel d'Aubigny; Leofwin from St. Benedict's of Ramsey; Alwin from Countess Judith. 2 mills.
    New housing estates.

    Clophill
    Clopelle: Nigel d'Aubigny.
    Large; new housing.

    Cockayne Hatley
    Hatelai: Countess Judith; Azelina, Ralph Tailbois' wife. Mill.

    Colmworth
    Colmeborde-worde / Culmeuuorde: Wimund from Hugh de Beauchamp.
    It was so poor in the 17th century that there were houses without even a hearth.

    Cople
    Cochepol: Robert, Reginald, Gunfrid, Norman, Branting, Robert, Roger the priest and Liboret from Hugh de Beauchamp; Hugh from Countess Judith.

    Cranfield
    Cranfelle: St. Benedict's of Ramsey.
    Large, scattered; Cranfield Institute of Technology. The country's first concrete runway was laid at Cranfield Airfield.

  • Cranfield local history site
  • bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    D

    Dean
    Dene: Bishop of Coutances; Godfrey from Bishop of Lincoln; William de Warenne; 11 freemen and Godwy Dear of Bedford, all before and after 1066.
    Now 2 small villages, Upper and Lower Dean.

  • Dean local history site

    Dunton
    Dani / Donitone: Ralph de Lanquetot from Walter Giffard; Richard Poynant.

  • bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    E

    Easton
    Estone: 4 freemen from Bishop of Coutances; William de Cairon from Bishop of Lincoln; William de Warenne and Theodoric from him; Wimund from Hugh de Beauchamp; Hugh Butler; Sigar de Chocques; Osbern FitzRichard.

    Eaton Bray
    Eitone: Bishop of Bayeux.
    Large, pretty; timber-framed buildings.

  • Eaton Bray local history site

    Eaton Socon
    Etone: Eudo FitzHubert. 20 hides; 16 ploughs. In lordship 7 hides; 4 ploughs. 38 villagers with 12 ploughs. 7 smallholders, 8 slaves, 2 Freemen. 2 mills, 36s 6d; 100 eels; meadow for 12 ploughs; woodland, 400 pigs; vineyard. Total value 15; when acquired 8; TRE 10. Wulfmer, a thane of Edward's, held this manor. 2 Freemen who could sell and grant their land.
    One of only 55 settlements in the Domesday Book with a vineyard. At the Conquest
    Eudo FitzHubert took over the manor from Wulfmar. After his death in 1120 the land passed to the Crown. Hugh de Beauchamp bought the manor for 23 1s 3d and improved its pre-Conquest castle.

    Edworth
    Edeuuorde: 2 men-at-arms from William d'Eu; Alwin the king's reeve.

    Elstow
    Elnestov: nuns of St. Mary's from Countess Judith. 3 hides. Land for 7 ploughs; in lordship 2. 14 villagers with 5 ploughs. 11 smallholders, 4 slaves. 1 mill, 24s; meadow for 4 ploughs; woodland, 60 pigs. Total value 100s; when acquired 40s; TRE 10.
    William the Conqueror granted Elstow to his niece,
    Countess Judith, who founded a nunnery in 1075. The abbess and nuns held Elstow until the Dissolution. Birthplace of John Bunyan.

    Elvedon
    Eluendone:
    Lost.

    Eversholt
    Evreshot: Ansgot of Rochester from Bishop of Bayeux; Ralph from Hugh de Beauchamp; Herbert, the king's reeve.
    Scattered. Tyrells End is a 15th century timber-framed house.

  • Eversholt local history site

    Everton
    Evretone: Ranulf d'Ilger from Countess Judith.
    2 manor houses.

    Eyeworth
    Aieuuorde: William Speke; Brodo from Azelina, Ralph Tailbois' wife. Mill.

  • bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    F

    Farndish
    Farnedis: William; Henry Fitz Azor; William Peverel.

    Felmersham
    Falmeresham: Gilbert FitzSolomon; Gilbert from Countess Judith. Mill.
    Stone tithe barn.

  • Felmersham local history site

    Flitton
    Flictha: Robert Fafiton.
    Owned by the same family - the Greys - for 700 years; their mausoleum is in the churchyard.

    Flitwick
    Flicteuuiche: William Lovett. Mill.
    Small town; mill on the River Flitt.

  • bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    G

    Goldington
    Goldentone: Ivo Tailbois from Bishop of Lincoln; Roger FitzTheodoric, Richard and Walter from Hugh de Beauchamp; Alric Wintermilk from the king.
    Part of Bedford.

    Goldington Highfields
    Goldentone:
    Lost.

    Gravenhurst
    Crauenhest: William from Hugh de Beauchamp.
    Now 2 small villages, Upper and Lower Gravenhurst.

    Great Barford
    Bereford: Rhiwallon, Wimund of Tessel, Ansketel the priest and Theobald from Hugh de Beauchamp. Mill (80 eels).
    Large; on the River Ouse; 17 arch, 15th century bridge.

    bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    H

    Harlington
    Herlingdone: Nigel d'Aubigny. Packload of oats from woodland.
    Large; on the Bedford-Luton railway line.

    Harrold
    Hareuuelle: Gilbert de Blosseville from Countess Judith. Mill (200 eels).
    On the Great Ouse river; 14th century 11 arch bridge; 18th century market house; circular prison (1824).

  • Harrold local history site

    Harrowden
    Herghetone: Ernwin the priest; Nigel d'Aubigny; Canons of Bedford from Countess Judith.
    Adjoins Bedford.

    Haynes
    Hagenes: Hugh de Beauchamp.
    Now Haynes Park (a school) and Haynes Church End, about a mile from the main village.

    Henlow
    Haneslau(ue): Herfast from Nigel d'Aubigny; Hugh from Walter of Flanders; Widder and Bernard from Azelina, Ralph Tailbois' wife; (Hugh de Beauchamp claims from her, stating it was never her dowry); Alric. 2 mills.
    Large; RAF station and airfield; Queen Anne grange; disused mill.

    Higham Gobion
    Echam: William de Loucelles from Hugh de Beauchamp.
    Part Tudor manor house.

    Hinwick
    Haneuuich(e): Thurstan from Bishop of Coutances; Walter from William Speke; Hugh of Flanders; Gunfrid de Chocques and Theobald from him; Thurstan the Chamberlain; Edward.
    Tudor Hinwick Hall; 18th century Hinwick house.

    Hockliffe
    Hocheleia: Azelina, Ralph Tailbois' wife.
    On the Roman Watling Street. Georgian Hockliffe House incorporates part of a 13th century hospital. The manor house is partly 18th century.

    Hulcote
    Holecote: Ralph Passwater from William Speke. Mill.

    Holme
    Holme: Wulfric from William d'Eu; Mordwing from Hugh de Beauchamp; Fulchere de Paris from Nigel d'Aubigny; Walter of Flanders, Ralph de l'Isle, Fulchere and 2 men from Countess Judith; Alwin, the king's reeve.
    A few houses, part of Biggleswade.

    Houghton Conquest
    Houstone: Hugh de Beauchamp; Hugh from Countess Judith; Arnold from Adelaide, Hugh de Grandmesnil's wife.
    Houghton House, now a ruin.

    Houghton Regis
    Houstone: King's land with William the Chamberlain holding the church. Wheat, honey.
    A London overspill area; Iron Age earthwork at Maiden Bower; church with a Norman font.

    Husborne Crawley
    Crauelai: Thorgils from Nigel d'Aubigny; William Lovett. 2 mills.
    Manor House.

    Previous |Top| Home |Next

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2013 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved