[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?
  • Worcestershire M-R

    Click here for details Click here for details
    M

    Malvern Chase
    Malferna: Worcester Church. Woodland in Dean Forest paying dues in pasture, firewood and timber.
    Little Malvern, at the foot of the Malvern hills; the ruins of a 12th century priory; Little Malvern Court. Malvern Chase was a large area of forest and marshland.

    Mamble
    Mamele: Ralph de Mortimer.
    A Roman brick kiln was found here.

    Martin Hussingtree
    Husentre: Westminster Church.
    Stone Court House.

    Martley
    Merlie / Mertelai: King's land; Roger de Lacy; Drogo FitzPoyntz. Mill, 2 weirs (2500 eels and 5 sticks).

    Middlewich
    Midelwic:
    Lost.

    Mitton (in Bredon)
    Mitune: Worcester Church, for the monks' supplies.
    Part of Tewkesbury. Mitton Lodge.

    Mitton (in Stourport on Severn)
    Mettune: King's land. Assessed with Kidderminster, etc.
    Now Lower Mytton, absorbed by Stourport on Severn. Upper Mitton remains as part of the town.

    Moor (near Pershore)
    More: Robert the Bursar from Worcester Church.
    Now 2 villages, Upper and Lower Moor.

    Morton Underhill
    Mortune: Arnold from Robert of Stafford. Salthouse.
    Morton Hall.

    Mucknell
    Mucenhil: Urso the Sheriff from Worcester Church.
    Mucknell Farm.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    N

    Nafford
    Nadford: Westminster Church; Robert Parler from Gilbert FitzThorold.
    Nafford Lock.

    Naunton Beauchamp
    Newentune: Urso from Westminster Church and Herbraund from him.
    Naunton Court, a half-timbered, Elizabethan house.

    Netherton
    Neotheretune: Worcester Church. Mill. 20 sticks of eels.

    North Piddle
    Pidelet: Urso the Sheriff from Westminster Church.
    Traces of a moat, marking the site of the old manor house.

    Northwick
    Norwiche: Worcester Church. 3 mills, fishery.
    Part of Worcester.

    Norton (near Evesham)
    Nortune: Evesham Church. 2 mills. 2000 eels.
    A 12th century marble lectern in the church was found near the site of Evesham Abbey.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    O

    Oddingley
    Oddunclei: Ordric from Worcester Church. Salthouse.

    Offenham
    Offenham: Evesham Church.
    7 thatched cottages under one roof; modern development.

    Offerton
    Alcrintun: Urso from Worcester Church and Godfrey from him, formerly Edric the steersman.
    Offerton Farm.

    Oldington
    Aldintune: King's land. Assessed with Kidderminster, etc.
    Oldington Farm.

    Old Swinford
    Suineforde: Acard from William FitzAnsculf. Mill.
    The original centre of Stourbridge.

    Ombersley
    Ambreslege: Evesham Church. 1 fisheries (2000 eels), 2 mills.
    Half-timbered houses.

    Orleton
    Alretune: Hugh from Gilbert FitzThorold. 2 fisheries (40 sticks of eels).
    Orleton Court.

    Osmerley
    Osmerlei:
    Lost.

    Overbury
    Ovreberie: Worcester Church.
    Stone built.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    P

    Pebworth
    Pebeworde: King's land.
    On Buckle Street, originally a Celtic highway; moated site.

    Pedmore
    Pevemore: Acard from William FitzAnsculf.
    Part of Stourbridge; earthworks of a prehistoric camp on Wychbury Hill.

    Pendock
    Pe(o)nedoc: Worcester Church and Urso from the church.

    Pensham
    Pendesham: Westminster Church.
    Pensham Fields Farm.

    Peopleton
    Piplintune: Westminster Church and Walter Ponther and Urso the Sheriff from the church.
    Timbered, part 13th century church.

    Perry
    Pirian:
    Lost.

    Pershore
    Persore: Westminster Church, given by King Edward, and a Frenchman from the church; Pershore Church. Church; 4 mills.
    Town of 7th century origin. Parts of a Norman Benedictine monastery are now in the parish church.

    Phepson
    Fepsetenatun: Worcester Church and Walter Ponther from the church.

    Pirton
    Peritune: Walter Ponther from Westminster Church.

    Powick
    Poiwic: Westminster Church. Mill for the hall. 3 sesters of honey.
    Royalists won the first engagement of the Civil War at Powick Bridge in 1642.

    Pull Court
    Lapule: King's land and a man of the monks of Lyre from the king.
    Bredon School.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Q

    Queenhill
    Cunhille: Worcester Church, in the king's hands.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    R

    Radley
    Rodeleah:
    Lost.

    Redmarley (in Great Witley)
    Ridmerlege / Redmerleie: Ralph, a man-at-arms, from Ralph de Tosny; Ralph from Gilbert FitzThorold.
    Redmarley House.

    Ribbesford
    Alia Ribeford / Ribeford: King's land. Assessed with Kidderminster, etc.
    Ribbesford House.

    Ripple
    Ripel: Worcester Church. Mill.
    Norman church on a Saxon site.

    Rochford
    Recesford: King's land. Now Lower Rochford.
    Nearby are Upper Rochford and Rochford Mount.

    Rockmoor
    Moor: Ralph de Tosny.
    Rockmoor Farm near the village of Rock.

    Rous Lench
    Biscopesleng: Urso from Worcester Church and Alfred from him. Mill.
    Half-timbered Court with a topiary garden.

    Rushock
    Russococ: Hunwulf from Urso d'Abetot. Salthouse.

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2017 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved