[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?
  • Worcestershire E-L

    Click here for details Click here for details
    E

    Eardiston
    Ardolvestone: St. Mary's from Worcester Church for the monks' supplies. Mill, fishery (with Knighton).

    Earls Croome
    Crumbe: Ordric from Worcester Church.

    Eastbury
    Eresbyrie: Walter of 'Burgh' from Worcester Church.
    Now Little Eastbury, on the outskirts of Worcester.

    Eastham
    Estham: Herbert from Ralph de Tosny. Mill.
    Eastham Grange.

    Eckington
    Aichintune: Westminster Church and Urso and Thurstan FitzRolf from the church.
    Has one of the oldest bridges over the River Avon.

    Eldersfield
    Edresfelle: King's land, formerly Reinbald the Chancellor, and Ansgot and Wulfgeat from the king. Mill.
    Largely Norman church with the arms of Dick Whittington's family.

    Elmbridge
    Elmerige: Osbern FitzRichard. Salthouse.
    Purshall Court, nearby, was used by the Gunpowder Plot conspirators.

    Elmley Lovett
    Aelmeleia: Walter from Ralph de Tosny, formerly Queen Edith. 3 mills, 4 salthouses.

    Evesham
    Evesham: Evesham Church. Abbey, mill.
    Town in the centre of the Vale of Evesham orchards with the ruins of an 8th century Benedictine abbey.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    F

    Feckenham
    Fecheha: The king holds Feckenham. Five thanes held it from Earl Edwin; they could go where they wished with the land. Under them they had 4 men-at-arms, as free as they were themselves; between them there were 13 ploughs. 10 hides. In lordship 6 ploughs; 30 villagers, 11 smallholders, a reeve, a beadle, a miller and a smith; between them there were 18 ploughs. 12 male and 5 female slaves. A rider holds hide, 2 parts of hide and 1 croft; he has 1 plough. A mill at 2s. In Droitwich 4 salthouses; the woodland of this manor has been put outside into the King's woodland, and hide of land which Earl William gave to Jocelyn Hunter. Earl William gave to St. Mary's Church [in Normandy] this manor's tithe and church with a priest and 2 virgates of land with 1 villager. Walter de Lacy gave 1 hide out of the lordship land to one Hubert; he has plough.

    Fladbury
    Fledebirie: Worcester Church. Mill. 20 sticks of eels.
    Partly Norman church.

    Fockbury
    Focheberie: King's land. Assessed with Bromsgrove, etc.
    Fockbury Farm.

    Franche Alia
    Frenesse: King's land. Assessed with Kidderminster, etc.
    Part of Kidderminster.

    Frankley
    Franchelie: Baldwin from William FitzAnsculf. Frankley Lodge Farm and Frankley Beeches, with a view of 7 counties.
    The reservoirs supply Birmingham with water.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    G

    Glasshampton
    Glese: Drogo FitzPoyntz. Mill.
    Glasshampton Monastery.

    Grafton (near Bromsgrove)
    Grastone: King's land.
    Grafton Manor House.

    Grafton Flyford
    Garstune: Urso and Walter from Westminster Church.

    Greenhill
    Gremanhil: Urso from Worcester Church and Godfrey from him.
    Greenhill Farm.

    Grimley
    Grimanleh: Worcester Church. Mill, fishery (sticks of eels).
    Napoleon's brother, Lucien, lived here after he was captured by the British in 1810.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    H

    Habberley
    Harburgelei: King's land. Assessed with Kidderminster, etc.
    Now High and Low Habberley, on the outskirts of Kidderminster.

    Hadzor
    Hadesore: Walter from his father-in-law Gilbert FitzThorold. 7 salthouses (111 measures of salt).
    Hadzor Hall.

    Hagley
    Hageleia: Roger from William FitzAnsculf.
    Hagley Hall, a Palladian mansion with 18th century paintings and furniture.

    Halesowen
    Hala: Earl Roger and Roger Hunter from him. Church.
    Industrial town with a part Norman church on a Saxon site.

    Hallow
    Halhegan: Worcester Church. 2 mills, fishery (with Broadwas).
    Hallow Park.

    Hampton (near Evesham)
    Hantun(e): Abbot of Evesham from Worcester Church; Evesham Church. Vines, 2 mills.
    Part of Evesham.

    Hampton Lovett
    Hamtune: Robert from Urso d'Abetot. 8 salthouses, mill.
    Hampton Farm; on the outskirts of Evesham.

    Hanbury
    Hambyrie: Worcester Church and Urso from the church and Ralph from him.
    Hanbury Hall. Nearby is a small village of the same name.

    Hanley (near Stockton on Teme)
    Hanlege: Roger and Hugh from Gilbert FitzThorold.
    Now Hanley William; Hanley Court; Hanley Childe nearby.

    Hanley Castle
    Hanlege / Hanlie: King's land. Mill, woodland with a hedged enclosure.
    Traces of the castle moat.

    Hartlebury
    Huerteberie: Worcester Church. 2 mills (10 packloads of corn).
    County museum. The castle belonged to the Bishops of Worcester from the 13th century.

    Harvington
    Herferthun: Worcester Church. Mill.
    Black and white thatched cottages.

    Helpridge
    Helperic:
    Lost.

    Hill
    Hylle: Robert the Bursar from Worcester Church.
    Now 2 hamlets, Hill and Hill Furze.

    Hill Croome
    Hilcrumbe: Roger de Lacy from Worcester Church.

    Himbleton
    Himeltun: Roger de Lacy from Worcester Church.

    Hindlip
    Hindelep: Urso from Worcester Church and Godfrey from him, formerly Edric the Steersman, commander of a ship.
    Hindlip Park. Meetings to plan the Babbington Plot to put Mary Stuart on the throne, and later the Gunpowder Plot, were held here; the present house is 19th century.

    Hinton on the Green
    Hinetune: King's land.

    Holdfast
    Holefest: Urso from Worcester Church.
    Holdfast Hall.

    Hollin
    Holim: Drogo FitzPoyntz.
    Hollin Farms.

    Hollow Court
    Holowei / Haloede: King's land. Park for wild animals, put outside the manor.

    Holt
    Holte: Urso the Sheriff from Worcester Church. Fishery, salthouse, hedged enclosure.

    Homme Castle
    Hamme: Osbern FitzRichard. Fishery, mill (16 packloads of corn).
    Castle motte and bailey.

    Horton
    Hortune: Robert from Urso d'Abetot. Salthouse, small wood.
    Horton Farms.

    Houndsfield
    Hundesfelde: King's land. Assessed with Bromsgrove, etc.
    Lower Houndsfield Farm.

    Huddington
    Hudintune: Archdeacon Alric from Worcester Church. Mill.
    Huddington Court, the headquarters of the Gunpowder Plot.

    Hurcott
    Worcote: King's land. Assessed with Kidderminster, etc.
    Hurcott Manor Cottages; Hurcott Wood; on the edge of Kidderminster.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    I

    Inkberrow
    Interberga / berge: Bishop of Hereford from Worcester Church; Bishop of Hereford, formerly Earl Harold, wrongfully. Salthouse.
    Charles I spent the night here, before the Battle of Naseby (1645), and left a book of maps behind.

    Ipsley
    Epeslei: King's land.
    Part of Redditch; Ipsley Court.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    K

    Kemerton
    Caneberton / Chenemertone / -tune / Chinemertune: King's land.
    Limestone houses.

    Kempsey
    Chemesege: The Bishop of the same Church (Worcester) holds KEMPSEY CHEMESEGE . There are 24 hides paying geld, 5 of these are waste. There are 2 ploughs in the demesne, 13 villeins, and 27 bordars with 16 ploughs. There is a priest, 4 serfs and 2 bondswomen and 40 acres of meadow. The woodland is a mile long and a mile wide. There are 13 hides in the demesne. In the time of King Edward it was worth 16, its present value is 7.
    Simon de Montfort and his prisoner, Henry III, heard mass here, before the Battle of Evesham in 1265. Samuel Butler is said to have written part of Hudibras, published 1663-78, at the Ketch Inn.

    (For more on Kempsey's history click here)

    Kenswick
    Checinwiche: Urso from Worcester Church and Walter from him.
    Kenswick Manor.

    Kidderminster
    Chideminstre: In CRESSLAU Hundred King William holds KIDDERMINSTER in lordship with 16 outliers: WANNERTON, TRIMPLEY, HURCOTT, FRANCHE, another FRANCHE, BRISTITUNE, HABBERLEY, FASTOCHESFELDE, WRIBBENHALL, RIBBESFORD, another RIBBESFORD, SUTTON, OLDINGTON, MITTON, TEULESBERGE, SUDUUALE. In these lands, including the manor, 20 hides. The whole of this manor was waste. In lordship, 1 plough; 20 more ploughs possible. 2 male and 4 female slaves. 2 mills at 16s; 2 salthouses at 30s; a fishery at 100d; woodland, 4 leagues. In this manor the reeve holds the land of one riding man; he has 1 plough and a mill at 5 ora. To this manor belongs 1 house in Droitwich and another in Worcester which pays 10d. The whole manor paid 14 in revenue before 1066; now it pays 10 4s by weight. The king has placed the woodland of this manor in the Forest. Of this manor's land, William holds 1 hide and the land of one riding man. He has 1 villager and 8 smallholders who have 4 ploughs. Value 11s. Also of this land Aiulf holds 1 virgate. 1 plough and 2 slaves there. Value 2s.
    Town, famous for its carpet-making industry, developed in the 18th century.

    Kington
    Chintune: 2 men-at-arms from Roger de Lacy. Hedged enclosure for catching wild animals.

    Knighton on Teme
    Cnistetone: St. Mary's from Worcester Church for the monks' supplies. Mill, fishery (with Eardiston).

    Knightwick
    Cnihtewic: Robert the Bursar from Worcester Church, formerly Edith, a nun.
    Knightwick Manor.

    Kyre
    Chure: Urso from Bishop of Hereford; Osbern FitzRichard and Herbert from him. Mill (10 packloads of grain).
    Now Kyre Green; Kyre Park House, mainly 18th century, with gardens by Capability Brown.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    L

    Laugherne
    Laure: Urso and Robert the Bursar from Worcester Church. Mill, 12 oaks.
    Temple Laugherne, a house in a large orchard.

    Lea Green
    Lea: King's land. Assessed with Bromsgrove, etc.

    Leigh
    Lege: Pershore Church and Urso the Sheriff from the church. 3 mills.
    Leigh Court.

    Lenchwick
    Lenchewic: Evesham Church.
    Orchards.

    Lindon
    Linde:
    Lost.

    Littleton
    Liteltune: Evesham Church.
    Now 2 villages, Middle Littleton, with a 14th century tithe barn built by Abbot Ombersley of Evesham, and South Littleton.

    Little Witley
    Witlege: Urso from Worcester Church and Walter from him. 1 sester of honey.
    Ruins of Witley Court.

    Longdon (near Upton on Severn)
    Langedune / Longedune: Westminster Church.
    Longdon Hall. Maritime plants can still be found in Longdon Marsh, once covered by the tidal River Severn.

    Lower Sapey
    Sapie: Osbern FitzRichard. Mill (6 packloads of corn).

    Lutley
    Ludeleia: The clergy of Wolverhampton before and after 1066.
    On the edge of Halesowen.

    Lyppard
    Lappewrte: Hugh de Grandmesnil from Worcester Church and Baldwin from him.
    Lyppard Grange; on the outskirts of Worcester.

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2017 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved