City on the River Avon. Originally Old Sarum (Sorbiodunum), an ancient British hill-fort, it was then Roman, and Saxon. The cathedral was built in 1220.
|Sarisberie: King's land; Bishop of Salisbury. 10 mills.|
|Salteharpe: Humphrey de L'Isle.|
By the River Avon; Seagry Wood.
|Segrete / grie: Durand of Gloucester and 2 men-at-arms from him.|
|Sevementone: William from William d'Eu.|
|Saldeborne / Scaldeburne: Hugh de Lasne and William from him; Wulfric and Osgot from the king. Mill.|
Shaw (in Chute) Lost.
Shaw (in West Overton)
Georgian Shaw House.
|Essage: William de Braose and Robert from him.|
On the River Wylye; nearby, a mound on which a castle belonging to the Gifford family once stood.
|Scarentone: Osbern Giffard. Mill.|
On Avon; church with a Norman tower, and a chest containing armour worn by John Rattlebone during a victorious battle with the Danes, 1016.
|Sorestone / Sorstain: King's land with St Wandrille's holding the church.|
|Scepeleia: Bishop of Salisbury.|
Bridge over the River Till. At the Blind House, shaped like a beehive, people were imprisoned before execution.
|Wintreburne: Edward of Salisbury and Godfrey and Theobald from him. Mill.|
Part of Warminster.
|Smalebroc: Aubrey the Chamberlain.|
|Smitecote: Albert from Humphrey de L'Isle. Mill.|
Now 2 villages, Great and Little Somerford. 16th century Mount Farmhouse stands on the site of a motte and bailey castle in Great Somerford.
|Sumre / Somreford(e): Gunfrid from Malmesbury Abbey; Theodoric from Edward of Salisbury; Siward from Alfred of Marlborough; Humphrey de L'Isle; Alwin, Alfwy, Edward and Saeva from the king. 3 mills.|
Georgian manor house.
|Sopeworde: Hugh from William d'Eu.|
In Melchet Forest 80 cartloads of timber. In the Wylye valley.
|Newenton(e): Abbess of Wilton. 2 mills.|
Standen House, in Chute, a late 18th century mansion with thatched boundary walls.
|Standone: Benzelin from Arnulf de Hesdin. Mill.|
Standlynch Farm and Down. Trafalgar House, given to Nelson's brother as an act of gratitude, houses a large collection of the Admiral's possessions.
|Staninges: William de Falaise from the king and Alfward from him; Waleran Hunter; Alfwy son of Thurber from the king.|
Stanley Abbey Farm.
|Stanlege: Azelin from Waleran Hunter.|
By the site of a Roman building; church with Saxon remains, in the park surrounding Stanton House.
|Stantone: Grimbald Goldsmith from the king.|
Stanton St. Bernard
Between All Cannings Bridge and Stanton Bridge on the Kennet and Avon Canal.
|Stantone: Abbess of Wilton. 2 mills.|
Stanton St. Quintin
|Stantone: Glastonbury Abbey and Osbern Giffard from the abbey.|
Charming; on the site of Stapleford Castle, once owned by Waleran Hunter, the Conqueror's huntsman.
|Stapleford: Swein, formerly his father, from the king.|
On the River Avon; once a minor weaving centre.
|Stavretone: Brictric, formerly his father, from the king. Mill.|
|Sterte: Humphrey de L'Isle. 2 mills.|
On the River Kennet.
|Stotecome: Goda, a woman, from the king. Mill.|
Stockton House, built by John Topp, an Elizabethan cloth merchant.
|Stottune: Bishop of Winchester before and after 1066. Mill.|
Stourhead, in beautiful gardens, the Stourton family home from Saxon times until the 18th century. Alfred's Tower marks the spot where Alfred set up his standard against the Danes in 879.
|Stortone: Ralph from Walscin de Douai. 2 mills.|
Near the River Ebble; named after Ralph Toni, William the Conqueror's standard-bearer at the Battle of Hastings, who was granted this land for his services.
|Stradford: King's land, formerly Earl Aubrey. 2 mills.|
Stratton St. Margaret
Suburb of Swindon.
|Stratone: Nigel the Doctor. Mill.|
|Sirendone: Richard from Ralph de Mortimer.|
Near the River Nadder.
|Sudtone: Richard FitzGilbert and Berengar from him. Mill.|
Sutton Veny House.
|Su(d)tone: William de Mohun and Walter from him; William FitzGuy; Nigel the Doctor and St. Mary of Montebourg from him. 2 mills.|
Manor house by Swallowcliff Wood.
|Svaloclive: Abbess of Wilton; Brictric and Alfward from the king.|
Now the large, industry-based New Town and the Old Town with a marketplace and the ruins of the ancient Holy Rood Church in the grounds of the Goddard family house.
|Suindone / dune: Bishop of Bayeux and Wadard from him; Alfred of Marlborough; Wulfric and Wulfward, the king's purveyor, from the king; Odin the Chamberlain. 2 mills.|