Lackham College of Agriculture.
|Lacham: Ralph from William d'Eu. 2 mills.|
One of England's most beautiful abbeys, founded as an Augustinian nunnery in 1229. W.H. Fox Talbot, father of photography, carried out his experiments here, in 1839.
|Lacoc(h): Edward of Salisbury; Alfred of Marlborough. 2 mills, vineyard.|
16th century Landford Manor.
|Langeford: Otho, formerly his father, from the king. Mill.|
Now 2 villages, Little and Steeple Langford, and a hamlet, Hanging Langford with an Iron Age camp.
|Langforde: Glastonbury Abbey; Edward of Salisbury and Leidhard from him, Abbess of Wilton; Count of Mortain; Waleran Hunter and Ernburgis from him. 3 mills.|
On the outskirts of Chippenham.
|Langefel: Burghelm from Edward of Salisbury; Wulfwy, the pre-Conquest holder.|
|Latone: Reinbald the Priest. 2 mills (with Eysey).|
Suburb of Salisbury.
|Lauvrecestohes / Lavertestoche: Abbess of Wilton; Saeric from the king. Mill.|
Now 2 villages, Market Lavington, once a market town, and West Lavington.
|Laventone: Robert Marshall; Robert Blunt. 3 mills.|
Iron Age earthworks, Liddington Castle; Elizabethan manor house.
|Ledentone: Abbess of Shaftesbury. 2 mills.|
On Cowage Brook.
|Litelcote: Thorketel from Miles Crispin.|
|Liteltone: Robert from Bishop of Coutances. Mill.|
2 houses, à Becket's, and the 18th century manor house.
|Liteltone: William d'Audrieu from William d'Eu.|
On the River Kennet, Lockeridge House, Georgian.
|Locherige: Durand of Gloucester.|
Now 2 villages, Monkton and Longbridge Deverill. In 1665 Sir James Thynne of Longleat founded the Thynne almhouses at Longbridge Deverill; the church at Monkton Deverill is dedicated to 'Alfred, King of the West Saxons' who 'camped the night in the Deverill valley before giving the Danes a sound beating at the great Battle of Ethandune' in 878.
|Devrel: Glastonbury Abbey. 4 mills.|
Longford Castle in Longford Park, built in the late 1500s by Sir Thomas Gorges. Capability Brown laid out the park.
|Langeford: Wulfgeat Hunter from the king. Mill.|
Luckington Court, once called Peach House, was one of King John's hunting boxes.
|Lochintone: Herman from Durand of Gloucester, formerly Earl Harold; Edward from Ralph de Mortimer.|
Ruined keep of a castle built by the Normans on the site of a Saxon stronghold. Queen Maud sought shelter here when fleeing from King Stephen.
|Litlegarsele: Edward of Salisbury.|
|Rusteselle: Edward of Salisbury and Howard from him; Gunter from Humphrey de L'Isle. 2 mills.|
|Lidiarde: King's land. Mill.|
Lydiard Park, home of the St. John family for 4 centuries, now open to the public.
|Lediar: Alfred of Marlborough.|