Small, in a mining area.
|Catebi: Roger de Bully; Aubrey de Coucy.|
Hall, now a farmhouse.
|Caltun: Roger le Poitevin, formerly Erneis de Buron.|
Dormitory for Leeds and Bradford; seat of the Calverleys for centuries. Walter Calverley (d.1605) was the subject of A Yorkshire Tragedy, a drama published in 1608, possibly the work of William Shakespeare. He murdered two sons and was pressed to death at York.
|Caverlei(a): Ilbert de Lacy.|
|Camelesford(e) / Canbesford / Gamesford: Ralph Pagnell; Ernuin the priest from the king. Church.|
Campsall In ancient Barnsdale Forest, early Norman church; 15th century manor house, now the vicarage.
Norman church, swamped by housing estates; Roman sites.
|Canteleia / lie / Cathalai: Geoffrey Alselin. Church.|
Carlesmoor On the edge of moorland. In 1850, the well-preserved body of a Romano-British man was dug out of the peat here.
Carleton (near Skipton)
Also called Carl(e)ton-in-Craven; manor farm nearby.
|Carlentone: Roger le Poitevin.|
Carlton (in Barnsley)
|Carlentone / Carleton: Gamel and Elric from Ilbert de Lacy.|
Carlton (in Lofthouse)
|Carlentone: Ilbert de Lacy. Mill. 4 halls before 1066.|
Carlton (near Otley)
Now the village of East Carlton and hamlet of West Carlton, with a manor house lying between them.
|Carletun(e): Robert Malet.|
Carlton (near Snaith)
Large, also known as Carlton-in-Balne.
|Carletone / tun: Ulchil from the king.|
|Cheteruurde / Cheteuuorde: King's land.|
Castley Severed by railway.
|Catale / Cattala: Osbern d'Arcis.|
|Cadretone / tune: Osbern d'Arcis and Fulk from him.|
Cawthorne Attractive old cottages; church with an 11th century font and Saxon carvings.
Scattered; medieval village near High Cayton Hall.
|Chettone / Chetune: King's land.|
Chapel Allerton District of Leeds, 19th century Gledhow Grange.
District of Bradford; large reservoir.
|Celeslau: Ilbert de Lacy.|
Village pond remains.
|Ceuet: Ilbert de Lacy. Site of a medieval village in Chevet Park.|
Medieval moated site, 13th century church.
|Fentun: Archbishop of York before and after 1066.|
Clapham Picturesque, beneath Ingleborough; manor house, 1705.
Medieval village site.
|Clareton(e): King's land; Gospatric.|
Clayton (near Bradford)
Suburb of Bradford.
|Claiton(e): Ilbert de Lacy.|
Clayton (near Thurnscoe)
Also known as Clayton-in-the-Clay.
|Claitone: Count of Mortain and Richard de Surdeval from him.|
|Claitone: Ilbert de Lacy.|
Industrial town with Roman iron workings at nearby West Brierley.
|Hetone / tun: Ilbert de Lacy.|
On a tributary of the River Wharfe.
|Cliford: Nigel Fossard from Count of Mortain. Mill.|
Clifton (in Brighouse)
|Cliftone: Ilbert de Lacy.|
Clifton (in Conisbrough)
On the edge of Conisbrough Parks.
|Clifton(e) / tune: William de Warenne.|
Clifton (with Newhall)
Suburb of Otley.
|Cliftun: Archbishop of York; Count Alan. Church.|
Clifton (with Norwood) Part of Norwood hamlet.
|Cludun: William de Percy.|
|Caldecotes: Ilbert de Lacy.|
|Hindelei(a): Ilbert de Lacy.|
Colton (near Leeds)
On the edge of Temple Newsam Park.
|Col(l)etun: Ilbert de Lacy.|
Colton (near York)
|Coletone / tune: Osbern d'Arcis.|
|Contone: Possibly Richard de Surdeval.|
Picturesque town with steep streets and a famous castle, featured in Sir Walter Scott's Ivanhoe. The church has Saxon long-and-short work and a Saxon cross.
|Coningesborc / burg / Cuningesburg: William de Warenne, formerly Earl Harold. Church, 2 mills.|
Earthwork on Coniston Moor.
|Coneghestone / Coningeston / Cuningestone: King's land; William de Percy; formerly Roger le Poitevin.|
Old field systems are still visible on either side of the River Wharfe.
|Cunestune: Gospatric; Chetel from the king.|
Outer suburb of Leeds.
|Cucheric: Richard de Surdeval from Count of Mortain.|
In the parkland of the mid-18th century hall; Norman church, probably 11th century.
|Copegraue: Erneis de Buron and Turstin from him. Church.|
Dormitory for York. The Knights Templar held land here in the Middle Ages.
|Copemantorp: Erneis de Buron; Earl (?) William.|
|Hanuui(n)c: Archbishop of York.|
|Cotingelai / lei: Erneis de Buron.|
17th century houses.
|Collinghe: Roger le Poitevin.|
Secluded; church built in 1450. Cowthorpe Oak was centuries old when John Evelyn's Sylva mentioned it (1664).
|Coletorp: Godefrid from William de Percy. Church.|
Cowthwaite Plantation; near Cufforth House on Becca Banks, an Iron Age earthwork.
|Cu(d)ford: Ilbert de Lacy.|
|Crigest' / Crigeston(e): King's land.|
14th century church with fragments of Saxon crosses.
|Scroftune / Scrotone: Gerbodo from Ilbert de Lacy.|
Crooks House, earthwork.
|Croche(s): William de Percy; Roger le Poitevin.|
Large; residential; hall.
|Colingauuorde: Erneis de Buron.|
Outer suburb of Doncaster; hall, 1740.
|Cuzeuuorde: Roger le Bully; William de Warenne.|