|Badesuu(o)rde: Ilbert de Lacy. Church (with Rogerthorpe and Upton).|
|Beldone / dun(e): Archbishop of York; Erneis de Buron. Church.|
Outer suburb of Doncaster.
|Balle(s)bi: Nigel from Count of Mortain; Roger de Bully.|
17th century Newton Hall.
|Neutone / tune: Berengar de Tosny.|
Church with Saxon tower; Norman castle mound. Birthplace of Restoration dramatist William Congreve (1690-1729).
|Berdesei / Bereleseie: King's land.|
|Bogeuurde: Roger le Poitevin, formerly Earl Tosti.|
|Barchestun: Ilbert de Lacy.|
Hall, recently enlarged.
|Berlai: Ralph Pagnell. Church (with Drax, Little Airmyn and Camblesforth).|
The hall was the seat of the Cresacres, one of whom was said to have been killed by a wild cat in the church porch.
|Barneburg / Berneborc / -burg: Roger de Bully; William de Warenne. Mill.|
Barnby (in Cawthorne)
|Barnebi: King's land; Ilbert de Lacy.|
On the River Don; also called Barnby-on-the-Don; 14th century church.
|Barnebi: Count of Mortain; Roger de Bully; Malger from William de Percy. 3 waste fisheries, church.|
Barnoldswick (in Burton in Lonsdale)
Also known as Barlawick.
|Bernulfesuuic: King's land.|
Barnoldswick (near Gisburn)
Cotton-manufacturing town that grew from a village in the 19th century. Roman road nearby.
|Bernulfesuuic: Roger le Poitevin, formerly Berengar de Tosny.|
Town. In the 18th century linen-weaving, flax-spinning, wire-drawing and coal-mining were the chief industries.
|Berneslai: Ilbert de Lacy.|
|Berghebi: William de Percy; Erneis de Buron.|
Now Barugh Green, a dormitory for Barnsley.
|Berg: Gemeber, the pre-Conquest holder, from Ilbert de Lacy.|
Dormitory for Leeds; church with a Saxon cross; impressive motte and bailey site.
|Bereuuit(h): Ilbert de Lacy. 3 mills, 3 churches.|
Also known as Bashall Town; Georgian hall.
|Baschelf: Roger le Poitevin.|
Woollen town with a 14th century church.
|Bateleia / Bathelie: Ilbert de Lacy. Church.|
On the River Aire.
|Begale: Ilbert de Lacy and a certain thane from him.|
Stone cottages; Hall.
|Bedmeslei(a) / Bemeslai / Bomeslai: King's land; Gilbert de Tison; Erneis de Buron.|
Beeston Suburb of Leeds.
Bentham Now 2 villages, High and Lower Bentham.
Town, a coal-mining centre; moated sites.
|Benedleia / Benelei / Beneslaie / -lei: Count of Mortain; Roger de Bully.|
Old hall c.1600.
|Beurelie: Erneis de Buron.|
Bierley Suburb of Bradford.
|Mileburg: Christ's Church from Richard son of Erfast.|
Bilham House Farm; ponds of a medieval village nearby.
|Bilam / Bilan / Bil(e)ham: Count of Mortain, and Richard de Surdeval from him; Roger de Bully; William de Warenne.|
|Bilingelei(a) / lie / Bingelie: Roger de Bully; Arton, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king.|
Bilton (in Harrogate)
Suburb of Harrogate; church with 3 Saxon carved stones.
|Biletone / Billeton(e): Gilbert de Tison; Archil, thre pre-Conquest holder, from the king.|
Bilton (near Wetherby)
Church with Saxon sculpture; manor farm.
|Biletone: Osbern d'Arcis.|
Small town with an ancient market cross and Georgian market hall. Church with an early Norman font and fragments of a Saxon cross; Bronze Age round barrows.
|Bingelei / Bingheleia: Erneis de Buron.|
Birkby Suburb of Huddersfield.
On Old Eye stream.
|Berchi(n)ge / Berchine: Gamel from Ilbert de Lacy. Mill.|
|Beristade: King's land; Gospatric.|
|Monucheton(e): Archbishop of York.|
|Torentone / tune: Archbishop of York.|
Dormitory for York. Capel built by Archbishop Grey to serve the manor house he bought in 1241; little of the house survives.
|Badetrop(es): King's land and Landri from the king; Archbishop of York.|
Suburb of Bradford; medieval village site at Bolton Woods.
|Bodeltone: Ilbert de Lacy.|
Bolton Abbey Bolton Priory is a magnificent ruin. Founded in 1154 by Alicia de Romilly, Bolton Hall incorporates 14th century Priory Gatehouse.
Bolton by Bowland
Pretty; 2 greens; 17th century houses.
|Bodeltone: William de Percy.|
Church, consecrated in 1424.
|Badetone / Bode(l)tone / -tune: Rozelin from William de Percy. Church.|
Bolton upon Dearne
Small colliery town with a late Norman church.
|Bode(l)tone: Roger de Bully; Picot from William de Percy. Mill, church.|
Isolated in moorland; Bordley Hall.
|Borelaie: Roger le Poitevin.|
Bowling District of Bradford; 14th century Bolling Hall, remodelled in Jacobean times and now the local history museum.
Hall, Henry V's refuge after the Battle of Hexham in 1464.
|Braisuelle: Roger le Poitevin.|
City. Its wealth derives from wool-sorting and weaving in the Middle Ages; later, from the cotton and silk industry; more recently, from engineering. The church, mainly 15th century with Saxon sculpture, was designated a cathedral in 1919.
|Bradeford: Ilbert de Lacy.|
Bradley (in Huddersfield)
Large; industrial; Neolithic long barrow on nearby Black Hill.
|Bradeleia / lie: Chetel from Ilbert de Lacy.|
Bradley Now 2 villages, High Bradley with its Old Hall dated 1672, and Low Bradley.
Norman church; partially medieval Moat Hall.
|Bradeuuelle: William de Warenne; Malger from William de Percy. Church.|
Large, recently expanded; Church, part Norman, part 13th century; Georgian Bramham Park and gardens.
|Brameham / Bra(m)ham: Count of Mortain and Nigel Fossard from him. Mill, church.|
Dormitory of Leeds; Old Bramhope hamlet nearby.
|Bra(m)hop: Ulchil, the pre-Conquest holder, from Gilbert de Tison.|
Bramley (in Grewelthorpe)
Now 2 hamlets, High and Low Bramley; lonely, on moorland.
|Brameleia / lie: Gospatric.|
Bramley (in Leeds)
District of Leeds.
|Bramelei(a): Ilbert de Lacy; William de Warenne.|
Bramley (near Rotherham)
Residential, outside Rotherham.
|Bramelei: William de Warenne.|
|Bierlow / Brantone: Artor the priest, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king.|
In a mining district.
|Brantone: Richard de Surdeval from Count of Mortain.|
Branton (in Cantley)
|Brantone: Geoffrey Alselin. Church.|
Near Great Ouseburn.
|Brantona / Brantun(e): King's land; Erneis de Buron; Gospatric and Turbern, the pre-Conquest holders, from the king.|
Norman church with 14th century additions.
|Bretone / Brettan: Ilbert de Lacy. Church.|
|B(r)aretone: King's land.|
|Hadeuuic: Archbishop of York.|
Mining; manor house with medieval fabric.
|Breselai / lie: Elric from Ilbert de Lacy.|
Brimham Hall incorporates the remains of an early Tudor chapel built for Abbot Huby of Fountains Abbey.
|Birnebeham: Gilbert de Tison; Erneis de Buron; Gospatric.|
Houses, near Rotherham.
|Brinesford: Roger de Bully; Rozelin from William de Percy.|
Unspoiled; Norman church; hall, 1850.
|Brochesuuorde / Brodesuu(o)rde: Count of Mortain and Nigel Fossard from him; Roger de Bully. Church.|
In the parkland of an Elizabethan hall.
|Broctune: Berengar de Tosny; Roger le Poitevin.|
Burden Head Farm.
|Burg(h)edurun: Count of Mortain and Richard de Surdeval from him.|
In the ancient Barnsdale Forest, haunt of the legendary Robin Hood. Norman church; rare rood screen.
|Burg: William from Ilbert de Lacy.|
Burley in Wharfedale
|Burgelei / Burghelai: Archbishop of York. Church.|
Attractive, church with a possibly 11th century font and fragments of Saxon sculpture.
|Brin(e)shale: Osbern d'Arcis; Hardulf, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king.|
Burton (in Gateforth)
|Burtone / tun: Ilbert de Lacy.|
Burton in Lonsdale Silk and wool weaving. Behind the green is the mound of the Mowbrays' Castle.