[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?
  • Surrey

    Click here for details Click here for details
    A

    Abinger
    Abinceborne: William FitzAnsculf. Mill.
    Now 2 villages, Abinger Hammer, and Abinger Common.

    Addington
    Ed(d)intone: Albert the Clerk; Tesselin Cook from the king.
    18th century Addington Palace was the home of the Archbishops of Canterbury from 1808-96.

    Albury
    Eldeberie: Roger from Richard FitzGilbert. Mill.

    Anstie
    Hanstega: Baldwin from William FitzAnsculf.
    Anstie Grange. Anstiebury Hill was an Iron Age fort.

    Apps
    Ebsa:
    Lost.

    Ashstead
    Stede: the Canons from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Large residential area; 18th century Ashstead Park, now the City of London Freemen's School.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    B

    Balham
    Belgeham: Geoffrey Orletaile without the King's gift or warrant.
    Part of London.

    Banstead
    Benestede: Richard from Bishop of Bayeux and Geoffrey, Ralph and Wulfsi from him. Church, mill.
    Large suburban area. A 12th century house was excavated on Banstead Downs in 1952.

    Barnes
    Berne: St. Paul's London.
    Part of London.

    Beddington
    Beddinton(e): Robert de Watteville from Richard FitzGilbert; William FitzThorold from Miles Crispin. 4 mills, church.
    Suburb of London and Croydon; 14th century church.

    Bermondsey
    Bermundsey(e): King's land, formerly Earl Harold, and Count Mortain from the king. A new and beautiful church.
    Part of London.

    Betchworth
    Becesworde: Richard FitzGilbert. Mill, church.
    Church with 11th century fragments; 16th century Old Mill Cottage.

    Bletchingley
    Blachingelei: Richard FitzGilbert.
    Site of Roman building nearby.

    Bramley
    Bronlei / Brolege / Brunlege: Bishop of Bayeux. 3 churches, 5 mills.

    Buckland
    Bochelant: John from Richard FitzGilbert. Church, mill.
    Church with a medieval belfry.

    Burgh
    Berge: Hugh de Port from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Great Burgh, a suburb of Banstead and Tadworth.

    Burpham
    Borham: Thorold from Earl Roger. Mill.
    Suburb of Guildford. Byfleet Biflet: Wulfwin from Church of Chertsey. Church, mill. 1 fisheries. Suburban district. St. Mary's Church has a 13th century nave, chancel and belfry.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    C

    Camberwell
    Cambrewelle: Hamo the Sheriff. Church.
    Part of south London.

    Carshalton
    Aultone: Geoffrey de Mandeville and Wesman from Geoffrey FitzEustace. Church, mill.
    Outer London suburb; part-medieval church.

    Chaldon
    Calvedone: Ralph from Bishop of Bayeux. Church.
    12th and 13th century church with a unique 'Doom' wallpainting, c.1200.

    Cheam
    Ceiham: Archbishop of Canterbury. Church.
    Large suburb. St. Dunstan's Church was rebuilt in 1864, but the medieval chancel stands as Lumley Chapel, in the churchyard.

    Chelsham
    C(h)elesham: Robert de Watteville from Richard FitzGilbert. Church.
    Scattered. St. Leonard's Church is one of medieval flint.

    Chertsey
    Certesi: Church of Chertsey; Richard Reckless from the king. Mill at the hall, smithy.
    Small town once famous for its huge Benedictine Abbey founded in 666, dissolved in 1538.

    Chessington
    Cisedune / ndone: Robert from Richard FitzGilbert; Miles Crispin. mill.
    Inter-war and post-war housing; Burnt Stub Zoo.

    Chilworth
    Celeorde: Bishop of Bayuex. Mill.

    Chipstead
    Tepestede: Church of Chertsey; William nephew of Bishop Walkelin from Richard FitzGilbert. Mill.
    Scattered development.

    Chivington
    Civentone:
    Lost.

    Chobham
    Cebeham: Church of Chertsey and Odin and Corbelin from the church. Church, chapel.
    St. Lawrence church.

    Clapham
    Clopeham: Geoffrey de Mandeville.
    Part of London.

    Claygate
    Claigate: Westminster Abbey.
    Large suburban area; Semaphore House on Telegraph Hill, built in 1822.

    Cobham
    Covenham: Church of Chertsey. 3 mills.
    Now 2 villages, Church Cobham and Street Cobham; early 19th century mill.

    Compton
    Contone: Walter FitzOthere. Church.
    St. Nicholas's Church, with many 11th century parts and some pre-Conquest details.

    Coombe
    Cumbe: Humphrey the Chamberlain; Ansgot the Interpreter.
    Wooded suburb. Coombe Hill supplied the water for Hampton Court in Tudor times.

    Coulsdon
    Colesdone: Church of Chertsey. Church.
    Suburban area; mainly 13th century church.

    Croydon
    Croindene: Archbishop of Canterbury. Mill, church.
    Surrey's largest town and a prominent shopping, office and cultural centre. It was the seat of the Archbishops of Canterbury from the 11th to 19th century and a large medieval market town. The church of St. John the Baptist, founded in the 10th century, was rebuilt in the 19th.

    Cuddington
    Codintone: Ilbert from Bishop of Bayeux. Mill.
    Suburb between Ewell and Cheam.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    D

    Dirtham
    Driteham:
    Lost.

    Dorking
    Dorchinges: King's land. 3 mills, church.
    Dormitory town once famous for its medieval poultry market. 2 mills: Pixham and Castle Mills.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    E

    East Clandon
    Clanedun: Church of Chertsey.
    Mainly the farming estate of Hatchlands, an 18th century house.

    East Horsley
    Horslei / Orslei: Archbishop of Canterbury.
    Suburban.

    East Molesey
    Molesham: John from Richard FitzGilbert.
    Suburban.

    Effingham
    Epingeham: Oswald from Church of Chertsey; Oswald and Azor from Richard FitzGilbert.

    Egham
    Egeham: Church of Chertsey and Jocelyn from the church.
    Town by historic Runnymede field where King John signed the Magna Carta in 1215.

    Epsom
    Evesham: Church of Chertsey. 2 churches, 2 mills.
    Dormitory town famous for Epsom Salts and the Derby horse race.

    Esher
    Aissela / ele: Hugh de Port from Bishop of Bayeux; William de Watteville and Reginald from Church of Chertsey; St. Leufroy; Odard the Gunner.
    Small town with Sandown Park racecourse. Esher Place estate, now expensive Surrey housing, was bought in 1816 for Princess Charlotte and King Leopold. It was acquired by Queen Victoria in 1882 and broken up in the 1920s.

    Ewell
    Etwelle: King's land. 2 mills.
    Small town surrounded by suburbs; early 18th century mill.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    F

    Farleigh
    Ferlega: Robert de Watteville from Richard FitzGilbert.
    Farleigh Court farm.

    Farncombe
    Fernecome: Bishop of Bayeux.
    Suburb of Godalming; Wyatt almshouses, built 1622.

    Farnham
    Ferneham: Bishop of Winchester before and after 1066 and Ralph, William and Wace from him. 6 mills.
    Town which once had the county's most important corn market. Prehistoric and Roman remains have been discovered here. A castle, built in Norman times, is now partly a conference centre.

    Fetcham
    Feceham: King's land, formerly Queen Edith; Richard from Bishop of Bayeux; Oswald from the king. 4 mills.
    Medieval, surrounded by a sprawling suburb.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    G

    Gatton
    Gatone: Herfrid from Bishop of Bayeux. Church.
    Church; Gatton Hall and Park.

    Gomshall
    Gomeselle: King's land, formerly Earl Harold; Bishop of Bayeux. Mill.
    Old tannery; 16th century packhorse bridge.

    Great Bookham
    Bocheham: Church of Chertsey. Church, mill.
    Suburb of Leatherhead; partly 12th century church.

    Guildford
    Gelde / Gildeford: King's land and Ranulf Clerk, Ranulf the Sheriff, Bishop of Bayeux, Odbert and Robert de Watteville from the king.
    Town with a Norman castle, the site of a Saxon cemetery, a modern cathedral (built 1932) and university (started 1966) and the Yvonne Arnaud Theatre.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    H

    Ham (Croydon)
    Estreham: Count of Mortain.
    Part of Croydon.

    Ham (Richmond)
    Estreham: Hamo the Sheriff from Church of Chertsey.
    Residential area. 17th century Ham House was owned by the descendants of the Duchess of Lauderdale until 1948.

    Hambledon
    Hameledone: Ranulf from Edward of Salisbury. Mill.
    Scattered.

    Hartshurst
    Arseste: Richard FitzGilbert.
    Hartshurst Farm.

    Hatcham
    Hacheham: Bishop of Lisieux from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Part of London.

    Headley
    Hallega: Ralph de Feugeres.
    Headley Heath.

    Henley
    Henlei: Church of Chertsey. Church.
    Henley Park and farm, now on Ministry of Defence land.

    Hurtmore
    Hormera: Tesselin from Walter FitzOthere. Mill.
    Almost a suburb of Godalming.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    I

    Immerworth
    Limevrde: Picot from Richard FitzGilbert.
    Part of Esher.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    K

    Kennington
    Chenintune: Theodoric the Goldsmith from the king.
    Part of London.

    Kingston
    Chingestone / tune: King's land. Church, 5 mills, 3 fisheries.
    Within Greater London, but the county town of Surrey. It was a Saxon capital and the site of the Saxon church remains next to the part 13th century All Saints Church. The aqueduct built by Wolsey to carry water from Coombe to Hampton Court Palace passes under the river.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    L

    Lambeth
    Lanchei: Lambeth Church; Count of Mortain. Church.
    Part of London. 15th century Lambeth Palace is the London residence of the Archbishops of Canterbury.

    Leatherhead
    Leret: Osbern d'Eu from the king. Church.
    Town; part 12th century church.

    Limpsfield
    Limenesfeld: Battle Church, formerly Harold. Mill, fishery, church. 2 stone quarries, 3 hawk's nests.
    Scattered; part 12th and 13th century church.

    Little Bookham
    Bocheham: Halsard from William de Braose.
    Partly a suburb of Leatherhead, partly rural.

    Littleton
    Liteltone: Wulfwy Hunter.

    Lollesworth
    Lodesorde: Ketel Hunter from the king. Mill.
    Lollesworth Farm in Horsley.

    Long Ditton
    Ditone / une: Picot from Richard FitzGilbert. Church, mill. 500 herrings.
    Suburb of Surbiton.

    Loseley
    Losele: Thorold from Earl Roger.
    Loseley House, built in 1562 for Sir William More, one of Elizabeth I's counsellors.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    M

    Malden
    Meldone: William de Watteville from Church of Chertsey; Robert de Watteville from Richard FitzGilbert. Chapel, mill.
    Now 2 villages, Old and New Malden.

    Merstham
    Merstan: Archbishop of Canterbury. Church, mill.
    Part medieval St. John's Church.

    Merton
    Meretone: King's land, formerly Earl Harold. Church, 2 mills.
    Part of London, famous for its silk weaving works on the River Wandle in the 17th century; church with a Norman nave.

    Mickleham
    Michelham / Micleham: Nigel from Bishop of Bayeux; Oswald from Richard FitzGilbert. Church.
    Church with Norman foundations.

    Milton
    Mildetone: Baldwin from William FitzAnsculf. Mill.
    Milton Court.

    Mitcham
    Michelham: Canons of Bayeux from Bishop of Bayeux; William FitzAnsculf. mill.
    Part of London, once famous for its lavender fields.

    Morden
    Mordone: Westminster Abbey. Mill.
    Part of London, it was a tiny village until the 20th century. Morden Hall park has 2 18th century snuff mills on the River Wandle.

    Mortlake
    Mortelaga / age: Archbishop of Canterbury; St. Paul's London. Church, 2 mills.
    London suburb, the finish of the Oxford and Cambridge boat race. Mortlake tapestry works was founded in 1619.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    N

    Nutfield
    Notfelle: Countess of Boulogne. Church, mill.
    Largely 13th century church.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    O

    Ockham
    Bocheham: Richard FitzGilbert. Church, 2 fisheries.
    Partly 13th century church; orangery and stables of Ockham Park, built by Hawksmoor in 1725 and burnt down in 1948.

    Ockley
    Hochlei: Richard FitzGilbert and Ralph from him.
    Scattered; site of a 12th century castle.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    P

    Pachevesham Pachesham: Hugh from Bishop of Bayeux. 2 mills.

    Paddington
    Padendene: William FitzAnsculf. Mill, hall.
    Paddington Farm.

    Peckham
    Pecheham: Bishop of Lisieux from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Part of London.

    Peper Harow
    Pipereherge: Gerard from Walter FitzOthere. Mill.
    18th century house with a dovecote; church; farm.

    Petersham
    Patricesham: Church of Chertsey. Church, fishery. 1000 eels, 1000 lampreys.
    Residential area.

    Pitchingworth
    Pechingeorde:
    Lost.

    Pyrford
    Peliforde: Westminster Abbey, formerly Harold. 2 mills.
    Now Old Pyrford.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    R

    Reigate
    Cherchefelle: King's land.
    Town with a motte and bailey, the remains of Reigate Castle. 2 18th century windmills: a postmill, now a chapel, and a tower mill.

    Rodsall
    Reddesolham / Redessolham: Bishop of Bayeux.
    Rodsall Manor.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    S

    Sanderstead
    Sandestede: St. Peter's of Winchester.
    Suburb of Purley; 16th century White House.

    Send
    Sande: Reginald from Alfred of Marlborough. Mills, church, 5 fisheries.
    Scattered; part 13th century church.

    Shalford
    Scaldefor: Robert from Richard FitzGilbert. Church, 3 mills.
    Mill on the Tillingbourne; 17th century millhouse.

    Shere
    Essira / Essire: King's land. Church, mills.
    13th century church.

    Southwark
    Sudwerc(h)a / werche: King's land; Bishop of Bayeux. Monastery, tidal waterway.
    Part of London; 13th century cathedral.

    Stoke d'Abernon
    Stoche: Richard FitzGilbert. Church, mill.
    Large; church with 7th century foundations; famous for its brasses.

    Stoke (Guildford)
    Stochae: King's land. Church, mills.
    Part of Guildford.

    Streatham
    Estreham: Ansgot from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Part of London.

    Sutton (Cheam)
    Sudtone: Church of Chertsey. 2 churches.
    London suburb.

    Sutton (Guildford)
    Sudtune: Robert Malet. Mill.

    Sutton (Shere)
    Sudtone: Bishop of Bayeux.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    T

    Tadworth
    Tadeorde: Ralph from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Town.

    Tandridge
    Tenrige: Salie's wife from Richard FitzGilbert. Mill.
    12th century church.

    Tatsfield
    Tatelefelle: Ansketel de Rots from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Part of Biggin Hill; 13th century church.

    Thames Ditton
    Ditone / une: Wadard from Bishop of Bayeux. Part of a mill.
    Suburb.

    Thorncroft
    Tornecrosta:
    Lost.

    Thorpe
    Torp: Church of Chertsey.
    Growing town; 12th century church.

    Tillingdown
    Tellingedone: Salie's wife from Richard FitzGilbert. Church.
    Part of Caterham.

    Titsey
    Ticesei: Hamo the Sheriff. Church.
    A Roman villa and temple were excavated in 1969.

    Tolworth
    Taleorde: Oswald from Richard FitzGilbert. Mill.
    Part of London.

    Tooting
    Totinges: Westminster Abbey.
    Part of London.

    Tooting Bec
    Totinges: St. Mary's of Bec as a gift from Richard FitzGilbert.
    Part of London.

    Tuesley
    Tiwesle: Ranulf from the king.

    Tyting
    Tetinges: Bishop of Osbern.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    W

    Waddington
    Watendone:
    Lost.

    Walkingstead
    Wachelestede:
    Lost.

    Wallington
    Waletone: King's land.
    Large town, part of Sutton.

    Walton-on-Thames
    Waletone: Richard FitzGilbert. Church, mill, fishery.
    Large town; 13th century church.

    Walton-on-the-Hill
    Waltone: John from Richard FitzGilbert.
    14th century manor house, the home of Anne of Cleves in the 16th century.

    Walworth
    Waleorde: Baynard from Archbishop of Canterbury. Church.
    Part of London.

    Wanborough
    Weneberge: Geoffrey de Mandeville. Church.
    13th century church.

    Wandsworth
    Wand(el) / Wendelesorde: St. Wandrille's through the monk Ingulf; William FitzAnsculf.
    Part of London.

    West Clandon
    Clanedun: Hugh from Edward of Salisbury. Mill, church.
    Straggling. Church of St. Peter and St. Paul with 13th century nave walls.

    West Horsley
    Horslei / Orslei: Walter FitzOthere. Church.
    Formerly Horsley Green; mainly 13th century church.

    Westcott
    Wescote: Ralph de Feugeres. Mill.

    West Molesey
    Molesham: Odard the Gunner. Church.
    Suburban; church with a 15th century tower.

    Weston
    Westone: Barking Church.
    Part of London.

    Weybridge
    Webrige / bruge: Herfrid from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Part of Outer London.

    Whitford
    Witford: Canons from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Part of Outer London.

    Witley
    Witlei: Gilbert FitzRichere. Church.
    Saxon church, extended by the Normans.

    Woking
    Wochinges: King's land. Church, mill.
    Large town with a Norman church.

    Woldingham
    Wallingeham: John from Richard FitzGilbert.
    Surrey's smallest church.

    Woodmansterne
    Odemerestor: Richard FitzGilbert. Church, mill.
    Part of Coulsdon.

    Worplesdon
    Werpesdune: Thorold from Earl Roger. Mill.
    2 timber-fronted 17th century farmhouses.

    Wotton
    Odetone: Oswald from the king, formerly Harold. Mill.
    Pre-Conquest church.

    Wyke
    Wucha: Godric from Earl Roger. Manor.

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2013 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved