[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?
  • Suffolk I-M

    Click here for details Click here for details
    I

    Icklingham
    Ecclingaham: King's land, kept by William de Noyers; Ranulph Peverel; Moruant from Eudo FitzSpirwic. Church, 2 mills.
    2 parish churches; site of a Roman villa.

    Ickworth
    Ikewortha: Abbot of St. Edmund's before and after 1066. Church, mill.
    Home of the Hervey family since the 15th century; church with traces of Norman work.

    Ilketshall
    Elcheteshala / Ilchet(el)eshala: Earl Hugh; Godric the Steward. Church, mill.
    Now 4 villages, Ilketshall St. Andrew, St. John and St. Margaret, all with churches with Norman traces, and Ilketshall St. Lawrence, which stands within a Roman earthwork.

    Ingham
    Incham / Ingham: Roger de Poitou; Abbot of St. Edmund's before and after 166. Church, mill. 30 pigs, 520 sheep.

    Instead
    Isteda: A freeman. mill.
    Instead Manor House by the River Waveney.

    Ipswich
    Gepesuiz / -wic / Gopeswic / wiz / Gipewid / -wiz / Gypeswiz: King's land, kept by William de Noyers; Count Alan; Robert Malet; Lefflett a free woman; Bishop of Bayeux and Roger Bigot from him; Richard FitzGilbert; Hugh de Montfort; Geoffrey de Mandeville; Roger de Raismes; Ralph brother of Ilger; Walter the Deacon; Norman. 6 churches, 1 and one third of a mill, grange, 130 burgesses, 100 poor burgesses.
    Thriving port and market town, the county's administrative centre. Settled since Paleolithic times it was a walled town in the Middle Ages, but retained its Anglo-Saxon street pattern. 12 medieval churches still stand; St. Mary at the Elms contains Norman work.

    Isleton
    Isleuestuna:
    Lost.

    Ixworth
    Giswortha / Icse- / Ixewrda: Abbot of St. Edmund's and Robert Blunt from him; a freeman. Church, mill, park, vineyard.
    Ancient; on the Roman Peddar's Way; 13th century Abbey House.

    Ixworth Thorpe
    Torp(a): William d'Ecouis; Peter de Valognes, formerly Queen Edith; Abbot of St. Edmund's and Robert Blunt from him; Sasselin, a free man. Church (with Market Weston), mill.
    Manor house.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    K

    Kalweton
    Caluwetuna:
    Lost.

    Kedington
    Kidituna: Abbot of St. Edmund's; Richard FitzGilbert; Ralph Baynard. Church, mill.
    Suburb of Haverhill; church with a Roman building under the floor and a Saxon cross, c.900.

    Kelsale
    Cara- / Kereshalla / Cheres(s)ala / Chylesheala / Keles- / Kireshala: Robert Malet; Roger Bigot. Church. 100 sheep, 30 pigs.
    Guildhall, c.1500, now a school; church with a Norman doorway.

    Kembroke
    Kele- / Kenebroc / Kinebroh: Roger Bigot and William de Burnoville from him; Abbot of Ely; Kenold from Hervey de Bourges. 2 mills.
    Kembroke Hall; cottages by Mill River.

    Kenton
    Chenetuna / Kenetona / -tuna: Robert Malet's mother and Tiger and William Gulafra from her; Abbot of St. Edmund's and Dorand from him; Roger Bigot and Ralph de Savigny from Bishop of Bayeux. Church, 6 beehives. 16 beasts, 40 pigs, 25 goats.

    Kentwell
    Kanewella: Frodo the Abbot's brother. 40 pigs.
    Kentwell Downs, an ancient hall near a Roman road.

    Kersey
    Cereseia: Chatteris Abbey; Richard FitzGilbert. Church, mill.
    Centre for manufacturing Kersey cloth in the Middle Ages. The main street runs down both sides of a valley to a water-splash.

    Kesgrave
    Gressegrava: Robert Malet's mother. church.
    Suburb of Ipswich.

    Kessingland
    Kessingalanda / gelanda: King's land, kept by Roger Bigot; Earl Hugh and Hugh FitzNorman from him; Hugh de Montfort. Mill (100 herrings). 43 pigs.
    Seaside town.

    Kettlebaston
    Kitelbeomastuna: Abbot of St. Edmund's and Gamas and Humphrey from him.
    Remote; moated site.

    Kettleburgh
    Cetelbirig / Chetel- / Ketelbiria / Chettlebiriga / Ketdesbirig / Ketlebere / Kettleberga: Count Alan; Robert Malet's mother and Humphrey from her; Roger de Poitou. Church.

    Kingsland
    Kingeslanda:
    Lost.

    Kingston
    Kyngestuna: Abbot of Ely before and after 1066.
    Adjoining Woodbridge.

    Kirkley
    Kirkelea: King's land, kept by Roger Bigot; Hugh de Montfort.
    Part of Lowestoft.

    Kirkton (in Shotley)
    Cherchetuna: Richard FitzGilbert.
    Now Shotley.

    Kirton
    Kirketuna: Roger Bigot and Wihtmar from him; Roger de Raismes. Church.

    Knettishall
    Ghenetessala / Gnedassala / -eshalla / Gnateshala: King's land; Abbot of St. Edmund's and Fulcher from him. Church, mill, mill.
    Barrows nearby.

    Knoddishall
    Chenotessala / Cnotesheala / -heale: Roger Bigot and Ranulf FitzWalter from him.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    L

    Lackford
    Leacforda: Abbot of St. Edmund's before and after 1066. Church, 2 mills. 9 beasts, 160 sheep.
    On the Roman Icknield Way; church with Norman work.

    Lakenheath
    Lakingaheda / -hethe / Laringahetha / -geheta: Abbot of Ely before and after 1066; Richard FitzGilbert; Eudo the Steward. Church, mill, 8 fisheries, fishing boat. 100 sheep.
    Overlooking fenland; church with a Norman chancel arch; Neolithic to Roman settlements; one of the largest US airbases in Britain.

    Langer
    Langestuna: Roger Bigot and Ralph de Turlaville from him.
    Landguard Common and Point, near Felixstowe Port.

    Langham
    Langham: Abbot of St. Edmund's; Robert Blunt. Church.

    Lavenham
    Lauen(ham): Frodo the Abbot's brother from the king; Aubrey de Vere. Mill, vineyard.
    Small agricultural and weaving town famous for its beauty; 15th and 16th century timber-framed houses, including a Wool Hall and Guildhall. The cloth trade flourished here from the 14th to the 16th century.

    Lawshall
    Lawessala: Abbot of Ramsey. Church.
    Linear earthworks.

    Laxfield
    Laxefelda: Robert Malet's mother and Walter from her. Church, 7 beehives. 392 sheep, 20 beasts, 37 pigs, 23 goats.
    Guildhall (c. 1519) now a museum. Birthplace of William Dowsing (c.1596), Hammer of the Puritans; who smashed his way through 150 churches in 50 days.

    Layham
    Lafham / Latham / Leiham: King's land, kept by William de Noyers; Abbot of St. Edmund's and Berard from him; Eudo the Steward; William de Alno from Robert Gernon; Hugh de Grandmesnil; Ralph Pinel. Church, mill.
    Watermill.

    Leiston
    Le(d)estuna / Len- / Leis- / Leestuna: Robert Malet's mother and Gilbert and Fulcred from her. 3 churches, mill.
    Coastal town. In the early 19th century, the Leiston Iron Works produced a famous portable steam engine and threshing machine.

    Letheringham
    Letheringaham / Ledringaham: Roger de Poitou; Abbot of Ely; Geoffrey de Mandeville. Church, mill, 5 beehives. 30 pigs, 80 goats.
    Watermill.

    Levington
    Leventona / Levetuna: William de Burnoville from Roger Bigot; Hugh de Montfort. Church.

    Lidgate
    Litgata: Walter de Vatteville; Rainald le Breton.
    Motte and bailey castle; birthplace (c.1370) of the poet John Lydgate, also known as the Monk of Bury.

    Linburne
    Linburna:
    Lost.

    Lindsey
    Balesheia / Blalsega: Abbot of St. Edmund's before and after 1066; Richard FitzGilbert. Church.
    Motte and bailey castle site.

    Linstead
    Linesteda / stede: Walter from Robert Malet's mother. 20 pigs, 20 goats.
    Now the hamlet of Linstead Magna with moated sites, and the village of Linstead Magna.

    Little Bealings
    Parva Belinges: Roger Bigot from Bishop of Bayeux; Abbot of Ely; Hugh de Montfort; Hervey de Bourges and Geoffrey from him. Mill.

    Little Charsfield
    Parva Ceresfella: Count Alan.
    Now Charsfield.

    Littlecross
    Litelcross:
    Lost on the Deben estuary.

    Little Fakenham
    Litla Fachenham: Abbot of St. Edmund's and Peter from him. 12 beasts, 20 pigs, 300 sheep.

    Little Glemham
    Thieue Gliemham: Count Alan.

    Little Livermere
    Litla Livermera: Abbot of St. Edmund's. Church.

    Loose
    Losa: Leustan, the pre-Conquest holder, from Ranulph Peverel, formerly King Edward.
    Loose Hall, near Wattisham.

    Loudham
    Lud(e)hum: Count Alan; Robert Malet's mother and Walter FitzAubrey and Walter de Caen from her; Roger Bigot; Abbot of Ely; Bishop of Evreux; Hervey de Bourges. Church, mill.
    Loudham Hall, near the River Deben and Wickham Market.

    Lound
    Lunda: King's land, kept by Roger Bigot. 2 beehives.
    Duckpond.

    Lowestoft
    Lothuwistoft: King's land, kept by Roger Bigot. 160 sheep.
    Large holiday resort, fishing port and industrial town.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    M

    Malton
    Meltuna: Count Alan; Robert Malet's mother and Humphrey from her; Roger de Poitou and Roger FitzArnold from him; Abbot of Ely; William son of Sahuala from Geoffrey de Mandeville. Mill.
    Suburb of Woodbridge; mill house on the River Deben.

    Manston
    Manestuna: Abbot of St. Edmund's and Garin from him; Richard FitzGilbert; Swein of Essex.
    Manston Hall, near Whepstead.

    Manton
    Manetuna:
    Lost.

    Market Weston
    Westuna: William d'Ecouis and Huard de Vernon from him. Church (with Ixworth Thorpe).
    Moated site; Romano-British kiln, excavated 1965.

    Marlesford
    Marl / Merlesforda: King's land, kept by Godric; Count Alan; Robert Malet's mother; Abbot of St. Edmund's before and after 1066. Church, mill, 3 beehives.

    Martlesham
    Merlesham: Ralph brother of Ilger. Church, mill, 12 beehives. 20 beasts, 212 sheep.
    Large; tumuli and signs of early settlements; large airfields.

    Martley
    Martelaialle / Mertlega: Count Alan; Robert Malet's mother and William Gulafra from her; Roger de Poitou; Hervey de Bourges. Church.
    Martley Hall.

    Mellis
    Melle(l)s / Metles: Abbot of St. Edmund's; Aubrey de Vere and Adelm from him.
    Enormous green bounded by ditches; moated site; ancient manor house.

    Mells
    Mealla: Robert de Tosny. Church.
    Remains of a Norman chapel.

    Mendham
    Men(d)ham / Menneham: Robert Malet's mother and Humphrey from her; Roger de Poitou; Godric the Steward; Abbot of St. Edmund's and Frodo from him; Bishop of Thetford. 2 churches, 2 mills. 41 pigs, 36 goats.
    Marshland.

    Mendlesham
    Melde(s)ham / Melnesham / -ssam / Menlessam / Mun(d)lesham: King's land, kept by Godric. Church.
    Large; moated site.

    Mettingham
    Metingaham: Warin from Earl Hugh. Church.
    Gatehouse and ruins of castle, 1344; church with a Norman doorway.

    Mickfield
    Mucelfelda / Mulcelfel: Abbot of St. Edmund's before and after 1066 and Berengar from him; Ralph de Savigny from Ranulph Peverel. Church. 21 goats.
    Moated farmsteads.

    Middleton
    Middeltuna / Mi(l)detuna: Count Alan; Roger Bigot from Earl Hugh; Gilbert Blunt from Robert Malet; Ranulf the nephew from William de Warenne. Church.
    The parish was united with Fordley in 1620 'because the bells and people of one church disturbed those of the other'; church with Norman work.

    Milden
    Mellinga: Abbot of St. Edmund's; Walter the Deacon. Church, mill. 22 pigs.
    Motte.

    Minsmere
    Menesmara / Milsemere: Robert Malet's mother and Leuric Coc from her; Roger Bigot.
    Area by the sea; Minsmere Level at the mouth of the River Minsmere.

    Monewdon
    Munge- / Mangedena / Mun(e)gadena: Humphrey from Robert Malet's mother; Roger de Poitou; Abbot of Ely; Countess of Albemarle. Church.
    Straggling; 3 Elizabethan farms; church with Norman windows.

    Morston
    Morestuna / -tona / Mot(h)estuna: Count of Mortain; Roger Bigot and William de Silva from him; Robert Malet from Abbot of Ely; Ralph brother of Ilger.
    Morston Hall.

    Moulton
    Muletuna: Archbishop Lanfranc. 4 beehives.
    Large; medieval packhorse bridge over the River Kennet.

    Mutford
    Mutford: King's land, kept by Roger Bigot. 2 churches, 2 beehives. 7 beasts, 30 pigs, 160 sheep, 50 goats.
    Church with Norman work.

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2013 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved