[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?
  • Suffolk F-H

    Click here for details Click here for details
    F

    Falkenham
    Faltenham: Roger Bigot and Ralph de Turlaville from him; Ralph, brother of Ilger.

    Farley
    Farleia: Richard FitzGilbert.
    Now Farley Green, near Cowlinge.

    Farnham
    Faraham / Ferneham / Farmham: Robert from Robert Malet's mother and Norman from him; Roger Bigot. 2 mills.

    Felsham
    Fealsham: Abbot of St. Edmund's and Adelelund from him. Church.
    Old farmhouse; moat site. Remains of the mausoleum of John Reynolds, sheriff 1735, who 'thought differently from all men while he lived'.

    Fenstead
    Finesteda: Ralph de Limesy.
    Now Fenstead End; moated site.

    Finborough
    Fineberga: King's land, kept by Godric; Count Eustace; Abbot of Ely and Roger d'Auberville from him. Church, mill.
    Now 2 villages, Great and Little Finborough.

    Finningham
    Felincham / Finningaham: Robert Malet's mother; Abbot of St. Edmund's; Robert Blunt. Church.

    Flempton
    Flemingtuna: Abbot of St. Edmund's and Ulward from him. Church.
    Barrows nearby.

    Flixton (near Bungay)
    Flixtuna: Bishop of Thetford and William de Noyers from him; Eudo FitzSpirwic and Geoffrey from him. Church, mill. 160 sheep.
    Church, rebuilt 1835; remains of a priory.

    Flixton (near Lowestoft)
    Flixtuna: King's land, kept by Roger Bigot.
    Ruins of a church, destroyed in 1730 by a hurricane; Flixton House, on the outskirts of Lowestoft.

    Flowton
    Flochetuna: Roger Bigot and Hugh de Hosdenc from him; Germond from Richard FitzGilbert; Roger d'Auberville.

    Fordley
    Forle(a) / lei: Robert Malet's mother; Gilbert from Robert Malet; Roger Bigot. Mill.
    Fordley Hall on a tributary of the River Minsmere.

    Fornham All Saints
    Fornham: Abbot of St. Edmund's before and after 1066. Church, mill.
    Church with a Norman doorway.

    Fornham St. Genevieve
    Genonefae Forham: Abbot of St. Edmund's before and after 1066 and Peter and Ralph from him. Church, 3 mills.
    Weir, ruins of a church; site of a demolished hall.

    Fornham St. Martin
    Fornham: Abbot of St. Edmund's before and after 1066. Church. 100 sheep.

    Foxhall
    Foxehola: Abbot of Ely.
    Parish near Ipswich.

    Framsden
    Framesdena: Earl Hugh. Church, mill. 31 goats, 50 sheep.
    Hall, originally a medieval hall-house.

    Freckenham
    Frakenaham: Bishop of Rochester. Church, mill, 2 fisheries, 6 beehives. 3 horses, 13 beasts, 40 pigs, 230 sheep.
    Overlooking fens; remains of a small motte and bailey castle.

    Fressingfield
    Fessefelda: Robert Malet's mother.
    Large. The initials of Alice de la Pole, Chaucer's granddaughter, are on a church bench.

    Freston
    Frese / Frisetuna: Roger de Arburnum from Richard FitzGilbert; Ernulf from Swein of Essex. Church, mill. 101 sheep.

    Fritton
    Fridetuna: King's land, kept by Roger Bigot. 3 beehives, saltpan. 160 sheep.
    Partly Norman church with Saxon tracings and early wall paintings.

    Frostenden
    Froxedena: Ranulf from Ralph Baynard. 2 churches, sea fort, 2 beehives. 24 goats.
    Now some miles from the sea; church with Norman work.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    G

    Gapton
    Gabba / Gabbetuna: King's land, kept by Roger Bigot.
    Gapton Marshes adjoining Great Yarmouth.

    Gedding
    Ge(l)dinga: Abbot of St. Edmund's; William de Warenne. Church.
    Church, once moated, with some Norman windows. The gatehouse of the hall is early 16th century.

    Gedgrave
    Gata / Gategarava: Count Alan; Robert Malet's mother and Gilbert de Wisant from her; Roger Bigot.
    Some houses; on marshes.

    Gisleham
    Gisleham: Earl Hugh; Robert Malet's mother and Lewin, son of Ringulf, from her; Hugh de Montfort; Aubrey de Vere.
    Moated site.

    Gislingham
    Gildincham / Gis(i)lincham / Gislinga- / Gislingeham / Gissilincham: King's land, kept by Godric; Abbot of St. Edmund's; Robert Blunt; Gilbert the Crossbowman.
    Old guildhall; manor house.

    Glemsford
    Clamesford(a): Abbot of Ely; Garin from Ranulph Peverel. Church, mill. 3 horses, 8 beasts, 200 sheep, 32 pigs.
    Large; long history of cloth making; early 19th century silk mill.

    Glevering
    Glerevinges: Odo from Hervey de Bourges.
    18th century Glevering Hall, with fine orangery.

    Great Ashfield
    Eascefelda / Escefella: Abbot of St. Edmund's and Odar from him. Church.
    3 moated houses; motte at Castle Hill.

    Great Barton
    Bertuna: Abbot of St. Edmund's before and after 1066. Church.
    Growing.

    Great Bealings
    Belinges: Robert Malet's mother; Hervey de Bourges.

    Great Fakenham
    Fachenham: Abbot of St. Edmund's and Peter from him; Peter de Valognes. 2 churches, mill. 16 forest mares.
    Heath; Honington airfield; church with some Saxon and Norman work.

    Great Livermere
    Liuel- / Liuermera / Litlamera: Abbot of St. Edmund's and Fulcher, Frodo and Walter from him; Abbot of Ely; Hugh de Beuerda.
    Divided from Little Livermere by a mere.

    Great Glemham
    Clieham / Cliemham / Glaim- / Gl(i)emham: Hamo from Count Alan; Walter from Robert Malet; Norman from Roger Bigot; Roger de Poitou; Pirot from Eudo the Steward; Walter Giffard. 1 churches, mill.

    Grimston (Hall)
    Grimestuna: Udo from Count of Mortain; Roger Bigot and Ralph de Turlaville from him.
    Grimston Hall near Felixstowe.

    Groton
    Grotena: King's land, kept by William the Chamberlain and Otto the Goldsmith; Abbot of St. Edmund's before and after 1066; Richard FitzGilbert.
    Home of John Winthrop, who organized local migration to America and became governor of Massachusetts, 1660-76. A church window, in his memory, was donated by New England Winthrops.

    Grundisburgh
    Grundesbur / burc(h) / burg(h) / burg: Earl Hugh; Humphrey from Robert Malet's mother; Roger de Poitou and Roger from him; Abbot of Ely and Hervey de Beruari and Algar from him; Geoffrey de Mandeville and Eilric from him; Hervey de Bourges. 3 beehives.
    Large; central green; stream. A house rebuilt in 1515 by Thomas Awall, a salter, has a salt-cellar.

    Gulpher
    Gulpelea: Roger Bigot.
    On the outskirts of Felixstowe.

    Gusford
    Gutthuluesforda:
    Lost.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    H

    Hacheston
    Hacestuna / Hece(s)tuna / Hetcetuna: King's land, kept by Godric; Count Alan; Robert Malet's mother and Gilbert from her; Abbot of St. Edmund's.

    Hadleigh
    Hetlega: Archbishop Lanfranc. Church, 3 mills. 120 sheep, 20 pigs.
    Ancient market town with late medieval buildings and a half-timbered Town Hall. A Romano-British building was found here in 1954.

    Halesworth
    Halesuuorda / -eurda / Healesuuorda: Count Alan; Bigot de Loges from Earl Hugh; Roger Bigot and Robert de Vals from him. Mill.
    Busy town.

    Hanchet
    Haningehest: Richard FitzGilbert.
    Now Hanchet End; Hanchet Hall.

    Hargrave
    Haragrava: William de Watteville. Church. 40 pigs.
    Straggling.

    Harkstead
    Herchesteda: King's land, kept by Peter de Valognes; Robert Gernon; Countess of Albemarle, formerly Edith the Fair. 2 churches, mill.
    Church with Norman windows and a blocked Norman doorway.

    Harleston
    Heroluetuna: Abbot of St. Edmund's before and after 1066 and Aelons and Peter from him. Church.
    Thatched church with a Norman nave and doorway.

    Harpole
    Holap- / Horap- / Horpola / Horepola / -polo:
    Lost.

    Hartest
    Herte(r)st: Abbot of Ely before and after 1066 and Berner the Crossbowman from him; Richard FitzGilbert. Church. 4 horses, 20 beasts, 25 pigs.
    Green.

    Hasketon
    Hasc(h)etuna / Hashetuna: Robert Malet's mother; Roger de Poitou and Roger son of Ernolf from him; Abbot of Ely; Geoffrey de Mandeville.
    The medieval Hundred met by what is now the village post office.

    Haspley
    Haspelega / Hespelea:
    Lost.

    Haughley
    Hagala: Hugh de Montfort. Church. 6 horses, 18 beasts, 46 sheep, 80 goats.
    Farming; remains of a motte and bailey castle destroyed by Flemings in 1173.

    Haverhill
    Hauerha / Hauerhella / -hol: Abbot of St. Edmund's; Bishop of Bayeux and Tihell from him; Richard FitzGilbert and Pagan from him; Tihell de Herion. Church.
    Expanding town, with new estates.

    Hawkedon
    Auokeduna / Hauokeduna / Hauochenduna: Roger de Poitou; Richard FitzGilbert and Gislebert and Folkered from him. church.
    Quiet; 2 timber-framed houses.

    Hawstead
    Haldsteda / Hersteda: Abbot of St. Edmund's and Odo, Albold, Peter, clerics and Agenetus from him; Richard FitzGilbert.

    Helmingham
    Elming- / H(el)mingheham / Helmincham / (Hmingheham): Count of Mortain; Earl Hugh; Roger de Poitou; Bishop of Bayeux; Richard FitzGilbert; Roger de Raismes; Humphrey the Chamberlain and Amund from him. 2 churches, 2 beehives.
    The hall, the Tollemache family home from the 16th century, is partly Tudor with alterations by Nash and Repton.

    Hemingsone
    Hami(n)- / Hauungestuna / Haminghelanda: King's land, kept by Roger Bigot; Count Alan; Robert Malet and his mother from him; Garengar from Roger Bigot; Roger de Poitou and Almar the king's reeve and Isaac from him; Rainald from Hervey de Bourges; the Vavassors; William d'Ecouis from Abbot of Ely. 1 churches.
    Straggling; church with Saxon work.

    Hemley
    Almelega / Halmelega / -leia / Helmele(a): Roger Bigot; Roger de Poitou; William de Nomore from Ralph brother of Ilger; Countess of Albemarle; William d'Arcis.

    Hengrave
    Hemegretham: Abbot of St. Edmund's before and after 1066. Church. mill. 12 beasts, 20 pigs.
    Church with an early Norman tower.

    Henham
    Henham: Robert of Blythburgh from Ralph Baynard. Mill.
    Henham Park, designed by Humphrey Repton.

    Henley
    Henle(i)a / leie: Humphrey from Robert Malet; Roger de Poitou; Roger d'Auberville and Eudo the Steward from him; Walter the Deacon; Isaac; Abbot of Ely. 2 churches.
    Tithe barn.

    Henstead
    Henestede: William de Warenne and Geoffrey de Petro Ponte from him.

    Hepworth
    Hepworda: Abbot of St. Edmund's and Fulcher and Peter de Valognes from him; Robert Blunt. Church.
    Church with traces of Norman work.

    Herringfleet
    Heringaflet: King's land, kept by Roger Bigot.
    Seaside resort; marshes; remains of a 13th and 14th century Austen priory.

    Herringswell
    Herni(n)gawella / Hyrningwella: Abbot of St. Edmund's before and after 1066; Richard FitzGilbert; William de Warenne and Roger and Nicholas from him. Church, 2 mills.
    Icenian tumuli nearby; remains of a church, possibly Norman.

    Hessett
    Eteseta / Heteseta: Frodo the Abbot's brother; Abbot of St. Edmund's and Berard from him. Church.
    3 moat sites; late medieval church.

    Hestley
    Hastelea: Ralph de Limesy.
    Hestley Hall; moated site.

    Heveningham
    Evelincham / Heveniggeham: Roger Bigot and Anskettle from him.
    Palladian hall, 1778, with a park landscaped by Capability Brown, and an orangery by James Wyatt.

    Higham (near Brantham)
    Hecham / Hei(h)ham: Ralph de Marci from Count Eustace; Bishop of Bayeux; Osbern from Richard FitzGilbert; Garenger from Roger de Raismes; Gondwin. Mill, 1 churches.

    Hinderclay
    Hilderclea: Abbot of St. Edmund's before and after 1066. Church.
    Early Iron Age settlement nearby.

    Hintlesham
    Hintlesham: King's land, kept by William de Noyers; Ralph from Count Alan. 1 churches, mill, saltpan. 30 pigs, 200 sheep.
    Elizabethan and Palladian hall restored by restauranteur Robert Carrier, 1972.

    Hinton
    Hinetuna: Roger Bigot and Robert of Blythburgh from him. Church.
    Scattered; Hinton Hall; Hinton Springs.

    Hitcham
    Hecham / Hetcham: Abbot of Ely and Roger Bigot from him; Richard FitzGilbert and Ailward son of Bell from him. Church.
    Romano-British settlement nearby. John Henslow, who influenced Darwin and secured his appointment to the Beagle, was rector here from 1837.

    Holbrook
    Holebroc: Odo from Count Alan.
    Royal Hospital School for sons of naval officers.

    Hollesley
    Holeslea: Robert Malet's mother and Robert de Glanville from her. Church, fishery. 30 pigs, 100 sheep.
    Heathland; near the sea.

    Holton (near Halesworth)
    Holetuna: Robert Malet's mother; Godric the Steward; Robert de Curcun from Roger Bigot.
    Church with a Norman tower.

    Holton St. Mary
    Holetuna: Geoffrey de Mandeville. Church.

    Homersfield
    Humbresfelda: Bishop of Thetford before and after 1066. 2 churches, mill. 26 pigs, 200 sheep.
    Romano-British pottery kilns, excavated in 1959.

    Honington
    Hunegetuna: Abbot of St. Edmund's. Church.
    Marshland; church with a Norman doorway.

    Hoo (near Kettleburgh)
    Hou: Abbot of Ely before and after 1066 and William de Bouville from him. Church, mill. 24 pigs, 40 goats.
    Moated site; 17th century farmhouse.

    Hoo (in Sutton)
    Hoi / Hou: Robert Malet's mother; Abbot of Ely.
    Now Sutton Hoo; Saxon royal burial ground which has yielded a vast amount of archaeological treasure.

    Hopton (near Fakenham)
    Hopetuna: Abbot of St. Edmund's and Fulcher from him. Mill.
    On the Little Ouse.

    Hopton (near Lowestoft)
    Hotuna: King's land, kept by Roger Bigot. 3 beehives.
    Holiday camp near sandy cliffs.

    Horham
    Horam / Horan(t): Robert Malet's mother and Robert de Glanville, Walter son of Grip and Wwalter de Caen from her; Abbot of St. Edmund's; Bishop of Thetford; Roger de Candos from Hugh de Montfort; Juhichell the Priest; a freeman. Church, 3 beehives. 30 goats, 24 pigs.
    Tiny church, with a Norman doorway.

    Horringer
    Horningeserda / esworda: Abbot of St. Edmund's before and after 1066; Richard FitzGilbert. Church. 14 beasts, 30 pigs.
    Round a green; formerly Horningsheath.

    Horswold
    Horswalda:
    Lost.

    Houghton
    Hoketuna:
    Lost.

    Hoxne
    Hox(a) / Hox- / Hoxna / Oxa: Bishop of Thetford. Church, market. 12 beasts, 80 pigs, 40 goats.
    Attractive; round a green.

    Hundon
    Hune(n)dana: Richard FitzGilbert and Hamo from him. Church, mill, 12 beehives.
    Quiet; hillside; overlooking a tributary of the River Stour; 15th century timber-framed house.

    Hunston
    Hunterstuna: King's land, kept by Godric; Abbot of St. Edmund's and Bucard from him.
    Many old cottages; 2 moated sites.

    Huntingfield
    Huntingafelda / felde: Walter FitzAubrey from Robert Malet's mother. Church, 6 beehives.
    Once part of the estate given to Anne of Cleves by Henry VIII; church with Norman work.

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2017 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved