Manor House Farm, c.1715, owned by the Pretymans since 1568; church with glass by William Morris and Sir Edward Burne-Jones.
|Bachetuna: Walter the Deacon. Church. 100 sheep, 36 goats.|
Partly Norman church; Okenhill Hall, 1552.
|Badincham / Hadincham: Robert Malet's mother and Walter, Loernic and Robert from her. Church, beehive. 60 goats, 32 pigs.|
Ancient Lady Well.
|Badele(i)a: King's land, kept by Godric; Richard FitzGilbert; Abbot of Ely. Church, ½ mill.|
|Bademondes / Bademundesfelda: King's land, kept by Picot. Church.|
|Belindune: Ralph the Haunted from Peter de Valognes. 33 cattle, 28 pigs.|
|Boerdewella / Berdeuuella: Abbot of St. Edmund's and Peter de Valognes from him. Church, 2 parts of a mill.|
6 Roman roads converged here; Shrubland Hall, 1850-2, now a health farm.
|Bercham: William Gulaffra from Robert Malet; Roger de Poitou and Gosbert from him; Roger d'Auberville, the pre-Conquest holder, from Abbot of Ely. Church, mill.|
Home of Sir Nicholas Bacon, brother of Francis and High Sheriff of Suffolk, 1581; Iron Age farm with storage pits.
|Berchingas / -ingis / Berkinges: Abbot of Ely before and after 1066. 2 churches, weir, vineyard. 23 beasts, 30 pigs, 100 sheep, 48 goats.|
|Barnebei / -by: King's land, kept by Roger Bigot; Hugh FitzNorman from Earl Hugh. Church.|
Anglo-Saxon coffin lid in a cottage wall.
|Ber(n)ham: Earl Hugh; Roger Bigot; Abbot of St. Edmund's and Fulchard from him; Hugh FitzGold from William de Warenne; Hugh de Montfort. 3 mills. 12 forest mares, 25 pigs, 420 sheep.|
Surrounded by ponds.
|Berni(n)cham / Berningeham: Henry de Ferrers; Abbot of St. Edmund's; Peter de Valognes. Church.|
Large green; church with a Norman window; Wolf Hall, a Tudor farmhouse.
|Barro: King's land, kept by Picot. Church. 40 swine, 100 sheep, 60 goats.|
Thatched, partly Norman church.
|Barsham / Bersham: Warin son of Brunwin from Robert Malet's mother; Roger Bigot and Robert de Vals from him; Bishop of Thetford. ½ church, ½ mill.|
Named after a large corn-mill on the River Lark; Bronze Age barrow.
|Bertona / -tunna: Richard FitzGilbert, formerly Godeva a free woman; William de Watteville. 2 fisheries.|
Moated site. Sir Thomas Gresham, founder of the Royal Exchange (1564), had estates here.
|Beteforda / Betes- / Botes- / fort: Count of Mortain; Roger Bigot and William de Brunoville from him; Roger de Cando from Hugh de Montfort; Eudo FitzSpirwic and Jarnagot from him; Siward from the Vavassors. 2 chuches.|
Martello Tower built as a defence against Napoleon.
|Balde(re)seia: Robert Malet's mother; Ralph de Beaufour; Abbot of Ely. Church.|
Ancient mill house; watermill; moated 16th century farmhouse.
|Bel(e)ham: Roger Bigot and William de Burnoville, Ulmar and Waranger from him. ½ church, 2 mills. 8 beasts, 40 pigs, 105 sheep.|
Ancient town. On the sea in 1086, it now looks over marshes and the River Waveney.
|Becles: King's land, kept by Roger Bigot; Abbot of St. Edmund's before and after 1066. Church, market, manor (60,000 herrings).|
|Berdefelda: Robert Malet's mother and Humphrey from her.|
Named after the family who lived almost continuously at Fleming's Hall from c.1309.
|Badinga / Bedingafelda / Bading(h)efelda / gelelda- / Bating- / Bedingefelda: Robert Malet; Robert Malet's mother; Abbot of St. Edmund's; Bishop of Thetford; Roger de Candos from Hugh de Montfort; Ralph de Limesy; a freeman. ¼ church.|
|Bel(e)steda: Robert Malet; Bishop of Bayeux; Aubrey de Vere; Countess of Albemarle; Robert de Stratford. Church, mill.|
Belton marshes; dormitory development for Yarmouth.
|Beletuna: King's land, kept by Roger Bigot. 160 sheep.|
By marshes and sea.
|Benagra: Abbot of St. Edmund's.|
Now Benhall Street. The lord of the manor married Geoffrey Chaucer's daughter here.
|Benehal(l)a / Benehala: Count Alan; Robert Malet and Robert de Glanville and Hubert from him; Roger Bigot and Norman from him.|
Straggling; near a Roman road; church with Norman traces.
|Benetleia: King's land, kept by Aluric Wanz; Furic and Aluric from Count Alan. Church, mill, ½ park.|
Adjoins Beyton Green village.
|Begatona: Hugh de Montfort, formerly Edith the Rich.|
Small town which once had an important market and was famous for its cloth.
|Bilestuna: Walter the Deacon, formerly Queen Edith. Church.|
Byng Hall near Ufford.
|Benga / ges: Walter de Caen from Robert Malet's mother.|
Bixley Farm by Ipswich suburbs.
|Bichelea: Count Alan; Abbot of Ely; Hugh de Montfort.|
Now 2 villages, Great and Little Blakenham; mill at Little Blakenham.
|Blac(he)ham: King's land, kept by Roger Bigot and Godric; Roger de Poitou and Albert from him; William d'Ecouis and Brunard from him; Roger d'Auberville. Church, 2 mills.|
Heathland; tumuli nearby.
|Bla(c)cheshala / -essala / Blactheshala: Hamo de Valenis from Count Alan; Gilbert, William de Smalavilla and Ranulph from Robert Malet; Roger Bigot and Norman from him; Roger de Poitou; Ralph de Langhetot from Walter Giffard; Abbot of Ely.|
Near coast; said to be the Blunderstone of Dickens's David Copperfield.
|Dun(e)stuna: Count Alan; Roger Bigot and Robert de Vals from him.|
Church with a Norman doorway.
|Blideforda: Godric the Steward. Church, mill.|
Flourishing Roman and Saxon port. Its church, among the finest in Suffolk, is on a 7th century church site.
|Blede- / Blieburc / Blideburc / -burgh / -buro: Osbern Mascalus from the king, held by Roger Bigot; Robert Malet's mother. Church. 3,000 herrings, a days provision of honey. 3 oxen.|
Bosmere Bosmere Hall near Needham Market.
Family home and burial place of Edward FitzGerald (1809-93), translator of Omar Khayyám.
|Bulges: Count Alan; Robert Malet's mother and Robert de Glanville from her; Roger de Poitou; William de Warenne and Robert from him; Geoffrey de Mandeville; Ralph brother of Ilger; Countess of Albemarle; Hervey de Bourges. Church.|
The Poley family home since c.1400.
|Boesteda: Roger de Poitou.|
Boynton Hall near Capel St. Mary.
|Boituna: Count Alan and Ulesan from him; Robert de Stratford.|
Boyton (near Alderton)
In marshland. It was once a coastal village; the remains of a jetty are below Dock Farm.
|Bohtuna / Boituna: Walter son of Grip, Humphrey FitzRobert and William Gulafa from Robert Malet's mother. 3 churches, mill.|
Boyton (in Stoke-by-Clare)
Now Boyton End.
|Alia Boituna: Robert FitzGilbert and Ralph and W. Peret from him.|
Now 3 villages, Bradfield Combust, St. Clare and Bradfield St. George, which has a partly Norman church.
|Bradefelda / fella: Count of Mortain; Abbot of St. Edmund's before and after 1066, and Roric and Falk from him. Church. 80 goats.|
Now 2 villages, Great and Little Bradley. There is an aisle-less 11th century church in Little Bradley.
|Bradeleia: Abbot of St. Edmund's; Richard FitzGilbert and 4 Freemen from him; Robert de Tosny. Church, beehive. 53 pigs.|
Church with a Norman doorway.
|Briseuolda / Briseworde / wrda: Robert Malet's mother. Church, mill.|
Ancient Castle Yard; Tudor hall with a Georgian front.
|Bru(n)felda: Count Alan. 24 pigs, 30 goats.|
Now a suburb of Ipswich; 16th and 17th century cottages.
|Bran / Brunfort: King's land, kept by Roger Bigot. Church. 12 sheep, 20 pigs, 24 beasts.|
|Bramtuna / Brantuna: King's land, kept by William de Noyers; Ralph Baynard; Robert de Curcan from Roger Bigot. Church.|
Brandeston (near Framlingham)
Weir; working forge. John Lowes, a 16th century vicar, was condemned to death for witchcraft; he confessed under torture to employing imps to sink ships.
|Brandes / Brantestuna: Abbot of Ely and Hervey de Bituricensis from him; William d'Arcis. Church, mill, 3 beehives, 20 pigs.|
Brandeston (in Waldingfield)
Brandeston Hall near a Roman road.
|Brantestona: Ralph de Courbépine from Bishop of Bayeux. 23 pigs, 2 horses, 100 sheep.|
Town, once a flint-knapping centre.
|Brandona / Brantona: Abbot of Ely; Eudo the Steward. Church, fishery. 2 donkeys, 200 sheep.|
|Brantestuna / Branham / Brantham: Godinc from Count Alan; Hubert from Robert Malet; Bishop of Bayeux; William d'Alno from Robert Gernon, formerly Tela a free woman; Roger from Ralph brother of Ilger. Mill, saltpan.|
Moated site known as Bradfield Castle; birthplace of Edward FitzGerald ( 1809-83).
|Berdefelda / Berdesfella / Bradefelda / -fella / Bredefeld(a) / -fella: Count Alan; Robert Malet's mother and Walter de Caen and Norman from her; Roger Bigot; Abbot of Ely and Robert Malet and Hervey de Berruarius from him; Richard FitzGilbert; Robert de Glanville from William de Warenne; Hervey de Bourges and Peter from him. Church, 3 oxen.|
|Bretenhama / Bretham / Brettham: Count of Mortain; Abbot of St. Edmund's and Arnulf from him; Richard FitzGilbert. Church.|
Now the village of Great Bricett with a partly Norman church, and Little Bricett, a hamlet with a moated site.
|Brieseta: Richard FitzGilbert and Roger de Orbec and Ranulph Peverel from him; Gilbert from Roger d'Auberville; William, brother of Roger d'Auberville and Fulcho from him; Anschetill from Roger de Raismes. Church. 15 beasts, 50 pigs, 140 sheep.|
Bridge Farm by Dunwich River and the sea.
|Briges / Bringas: Roger Bigot and Robert de Curcun from him. 2 mills, saltpan. 20 goats.|
|Brihtewelle: Abbot of Ely. 2 mills, church.|
Now Brockford Street; Brockford House near a Roman road; moated site.
|Brocfort: Abbot of St. Edmund's before and after 1066.|
Brockley (near Whepstead)
2 moated sites; ancient hall site.
|Brocle(ga): Roger de Poitou; Richard from Robert FitzCorbucion; Abbot of St. Edmund's. Church.|
Brockley (in Kedington)
Now Brockley Green near Kedington.
|Brochola: Robert FitzGilbert.|
Moated site; church with a Norman doorway.
|Brom / Brum: King's land, kept by Roger Bigot; Robert Malet and William Scutet and Warin from him; Roger Bigot and Hugh de Corbon from him; Ralph de Beaufour; Abbot of St. Edmund's; Bishop of Thetford. ½ church.|
Large; partly Norman church.
|Bram(m)eswella / Bromeswella / Brumesuelle / -swella, Brumfella: Count Alan; Robert Malet's mother and Hubert de Monchensey and Gilbert de Colville from her; Abbot of Ely and Robert Malet from him. 2 churches.|
Now Browston Green.
|Brockestuna: King's land, kept by Roger Bigot.|
Hall, c.1610, on the site of a 14th century chantry college, later a nunnery of Poor Clares.
|Buresiart: Hamo de Valenis from Count Alan; Roger Bigot and Ralph de Turlaville from him. 24 pigs.|
Brundon Hall on the River Stour near Sudbury.
|Branduna: Ralph de Limesy.|
Hall on a prehistoric settlement and burial site.
|Buclesham / Bukelesham: Count of Mortain; Abbot of Ely. Church.|
Bulcamp House, built 1765-6 as a workhouse by Thomas Fulcher, who received 15 guineas for his drawings and attendances; now an old people's 'hospital'.
|Bulecampa / campe: Roger Bigot from the king and Robert de Vals from him. Godric the Steward. 40 goats.|
Town, mainly 18th century. Its 12th century castle, built by Earl Hugh Bigod, was restored in 1965. St. Mary's was originally the church of the Benedictine nunnery founded by Gundreda, wife of Roger de Glanville. There is a butter cross in the market place.
|Bongeia / Bung- / Burghea: King's land, kept by William de Noyers; Earl Hugh and William from him. 4 churches, 2½ mills. 60 goats, 100 sheep.|
Mill. St. Edmund was crowned here, Christmas Day, 855. St. Stephen's Chapel, 1218, contains the tombs of 3 Earls of Oxford. 2 16th century houses.
|Bura / Bure: Abbot of St. Edmund's before and after 1066; Richard FitzGilbert; Roger de Raismes; John FitzWaleran, formerly King Edward. Church, mill. 50 pigs, 100 sheep.|
Burgate (near Eye)
Name means 'burial gate'. King Edmund the Martyr's body lay for a night here on its journey from Hoxne to Bury St. Edmund's. Traces of Iron Age occupation; Saxon earthwork.
|Burgata: Adelm from Aubrey de Vere. Churches. 12 horses, 80 pigs, 176 sheep, 57 goats.|
Burgate (in Walton)
Part of Felixstowe.
|Buregata: Roger Bigot and Wihtmar from him.|
Burgh (in Walton)
Part of Felixstowe.
|Burch / Burg: Ralph brother of Ilger.|
Burgh (near Woodbridge)
Roman villa site above an important Belgic Iron Age site containing pottery.
|Burc(g) / Burg / Burch / Burh(c): Count Alan; Earl Hugh; Roger de Poitou and Ernolf from him; Abbot of Ely; Roger de Glanville from William de Warenne; Hugh de Montfort; Geoffrey de Mandeville; Countess of Albemarle; Humphrey the Chamberlain.|
Marshes. The castle is a Roman fort, Garianonum, probably built c.290 AD; 3 massive walls remaining.
|Burch: Ralph the Crossbowman. 3 saltpans. 160 sheep.|
|Burgestala / Burghestala: Bishop of Bayeux and Ralph de Savigny and Roger Bigot from him; Richard FitzGilbert and Ulmar from him; Ranulph Peverel. Church, ½ mill.|
Bury St. Edmunds
Town on the River Lark. Industries include brewing as well as agriculture. The ruins of the medieval abbey are in Abbey Gardens.
|Villa Sancti Eadmundi: Abbot of St. Edmund's. 2 mills, monastery, 2 fishponds. 30 priests, deacons and clerks, 28 nuns and poor persons, 75 bakers, ale brewers, tailors, washerwomen, shoemakers, robe makers, porters, cooks and agents, 34 knights, French and English, 342 houses. 118 monks.|
Coastal; marshland; remains of Augustinian priory, founded 1171 by Ranulph de Glanville. 14 century gatehouse; late Neolithic 'Beaker' settlement nearby.
|Butelai / lea: Count Alan; Robert Malet's mother and Walter FitzAubrey from her; Roger de Poitou.|
Copinger family manor, 1428-1948. Sir William (b.1512) was Lord Mayor of London.
|Bukeshala / -ssalla / Buressalla: Count Eustace; Roger Bigot; Roger de Poitou; Frodo the Abbot's brother; Abbot of Ely; William de Warenne and Humphrey from him. Church, ½ mill.|