[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?
  • Somerset C-D

    Click here for details Click here for details

    Camelei / leia: Geoffrey de Mowbray. Mill. 150 sheep.
    Partly 11th century church with a Georgian interior.

    Camelertone / tona: Glastonbury Church. 2 mills. 154 sheep.
    Coal-mining in the 18th century; pyramid of spoil and remains of a colliery.

    Candetone / tona / Cantocton / tona / Cantetone / tona: Erchenger the Priest from the king; Robert from John the Usher. 2 mills. 350 sheep (with Carhampton and Williton).
    Large; Cannington Park, an Iron Age hill-fort, nearby. Cannington Priory was founded c.1138 by Robert de Courcy; the present house is Elizabethan.

    Capilande / landa: Harding from the king and Ceolric from him.

    Capintone / tona: King's land, formerly Earl Harold.

    Carentone / Caretone / Carentona / tuna: King's land. Assessed with Cannington, etc.
    Surrounded by orchards. The ceremony of wassailing is still practised here.

    Credelincote / cota:

    Cary FitzPaine
    Cari: Robert from Roger Arundel. 10 cattle.

    Caldecote / Cadicota: Roger de Courseulles from Glastonbury Church.
    Catcott Heath; 13th century church.

    Cathangre / hangra: Muchelney Church; Ingulf.
    Cathanger Farm.

    Caffecome / coma / Cafecoma: Ralph Rufus from Bishop of Coutances. 24 pigs.

    Cerdre: Giso of Wells, the pre-Conquest holder. 300 sheep.
    Town, a cloth-making centre until the 19th century, with flint and thatched houses; manor farm.

    Cerlecume / Cerlacuma: William Hussey from Bath Church. 200 sheep.
    On the outskirts of Bath.

    Cerdesling: Roger de Courseulles. Mill.
    Now Little Charlynch; view of the Quantocks.

    Charlton (in Shepton Mallet)
    Cerletone / tona:

    Charlton Adam
    Cerletone: Reginald de Vautortes from Count of Mortain, formerly 3 thanes and a clerk.
    A square; pretty cottages.

    Charlton Mackrell
    Cerletune: Roger Arundel.
    2 Roman sites nearby.

    Charlton Musgrove
    Cerletone: Jocelyn from Robert FitzGerald. Mill.
    15th century church with medieval roofloft and gargoyles.

    Ceder / Cedre / Ceadra / Ceddra / Cedra: King's land; formerly King Edward. 2 mills, 3 fisheries.
    The ruins of a Saxon chapel and the outlines of th royal palace to which it belonged are marked out in the grounds of the Kings of Wessex School. Cheddar Gorge contains over 400 caves with stalactites and stalagmites. There are Stone Age tools, weapons and a skeleton c.12,000 years old in the Gough Cave Museum.

    Cheddon FitzPaine
    Cedre / Cedra / Succedene / dena: Roger Arundel.

    Caluiche / uica / Celuia: Rumold from Matthew de Mortagne, formerly Thorkell the Dane.
    Partly Norman church; rectory; old barn.

    Celeworde / worda / Cellewert: Alfred from Count Eustace; Nicholas from Alfred of Marlborough.
    13th century church.

    Cherintone / tona / Ciretune / Eiretone: Warmund from William de Mohun; Bernard from William FitzGuy; Robert from Thurstan FitzRolph.
    Now 2 villages, North and South Cheriton.

    Chew Magna
    Chiwe / Chiu: Giso of Wells, the pre-Conquest holder. 3 mills.
    Chew Valley Lake, the site of a Roman villa.

    Chew Stoke
    Stoche / Stocca / Stoca: Serlo de Burcy; Aldwin, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king. Mill. 13 cattle.
    Well known for its 18th century bell-founders, the Bilbies.

    Chewton Mendip
    Ciwetune / tuna: King's land with the Abbot of Jumièges holding the church. 5 mills. 800 sheep.
    In a pre-Roman lead-mining area. Burial urns were found in nearby Ashen Hill barrows.

    Contone / tune / tona / Comtuna / Cumtona: Walter Tirrell from Bishop of Salisbury; Ralph from Walter de Douai. 2 mills. 220 sheep, 70 goats.
    On Wellow Brook, Chilcompton Wood.

    Cilele / ela:

    Cilterne / terna: Alfred and Alfred the Butler from Count of Mortain. 48 pigs, 179 sheep.
    Now Chilthorne Domer; near the Roman road to Ilchester.

    Chilton Cantelo
    Citerne / erna: Warner from William d'Eu; formerly Alstan Boscombe, a thane of King Edward.
    On the River Yeo.

    Chilton Polden
    Ceptone / tona: Roger de Courseulles from Glastonbury Church.
    On the Roman road across the Polden Hills; 19th century tower built of stone from all over the country.

    Chilton Trinity
    Cildetone / tona: Ansketel from Roger de Courseulles; Ansger Fower.
    13th century church; manor farm.

    Chilton Trivett
    Cildetone / tona: Ansketel from Roger de Courseulles. 6 unbroken mares, 16 cattle.

    Cinioch / ioc: Count of Mortain and Mauger and Alfred from him. 2 mills. 122 sheep.
    Now 2 villages, East and West Chinnock.

    Cipestaple / apula: Muchelney Abbey.
    In the Brendon Hills; named after a Saxon boundary mark, Cippa's Post.

    Ceolseberge / Ceoselbergon / Ceselberia: Alfred from Count of Mortain. Mill.
    Fair; manor farm.

    Cibewrde / wrda: Manfred and Robert from William de Mohun.

    Clapton (in Cucklington)
    Clopetone / Cloppetona: Mauger de Carteret from Count of Mortain.

    Clapton (in Maperton)
    Cloptone / Clopptona: Bernard Pancevolt from Thurstan FitzRolph.

    Clapton in Gordano
    Clotune / tuna: Herlwin from Bishop of Coutances. 40 pigs, 50 goats.
    Church with a Norman doorway and tympanum; Clapton Court, partly late medieval.

    Clateurde / eurda: Ogis from William de Mohun, formerly Alfgeat, a woman. Mill.
    In the Brendon Hills.

    Cliveham / Claveham: Fulcran from Bishop of Coutances, formerly Gunhilda.

    Claftertone / tona: Hugolin the Interpreter from Humphrey the Chamberlain. Mill.
    American Folk Museum at Claverton Manor.

    Claihelle / hella: Ansketel from Roger de Courseulles.
    Clayhill House.

    Clivedone / dona: Hildebert from Matthew de Mortagne, formerly John the Dane. 22 cattle.
    Seaside resort, developed in the 19th century, with 14th century Clevedon Court and Walton Castle, a 16th century folly.

    Cliveware / wara: Fulcran and Nigel from Bishop of Coutances.

    Claford / forda / Cladforda: Alfred from Count of Mortain. Mill. 38 unbroken mares, 150 sheep.
    Colford House; common.

    Clovewrde / eswrda: Count of Mortain. Mill. 100 goats.
    Manor farm.

    Clutone / tona: William from Bishop of Coutances. Mill. 176 sheep.

    Cocre / Cochra: King's land, formerly Countess Gytha. Mill. 150 sheep.
    Now 2 villages, West Coker (closest to the Domesday site) and East Coker, where TS Eliot (1888-1965) is buried.

    Coleford / Colforde / forda: Alric, the pre-Conquest holder, from Roger de Courseulles; Dodman from William de Mohun.

    Colgrim's Land

    Combe (in Withycombe)
    Cumbe / Comba: Roger de Courseulles.

    Combe Hay
    Cume / Cuma: Agelric from the king; formerly Queen Edith. Mill.
    18th century manor house. On nearby Somerset Coal Canal are 22 locks to carry the canal uphill.

    Combe St. Nicholas
    Cumbe / Cumba: Bishop of Wells. 315 sheep.
    Bronze Age barrows on nearby Combe Beacon.

    Combe Sydenham
    Come / Comma: Thorgils from William de Mohun. Mill.
    16th century manor, home of Elizabeth Sydenham, who married Sir Francis Drake.

    Comich / Commiz / Commit: Alfred of Marlborough from Count Eustace; Walter Bowman from Ralph de Limesy.
    Small port on the River Parrett, with a new wharf for Hinkley Point nuclear power station.

    Compton Dando
    Contone / Comtuna: Bishop of Coutances. 2 mills.
    Roman sculpture from Bath built into the church wall.

    Compton Dundon
    Contone / tona: Roger de Courseulles from Glastonbury Church.
    Now 2 villages, Compton and Dundon; Iron Age hill-fort with well-preserved ramparts in the latter.

    Compton Durville
    Contone / tona / Cumtone / Contune / Comtuna: Mathilda from Count Eustace; Mauger from Count of Mortain. Mill. 182 sheep.

    Compton Martin
    Contone / Comtona: Serlo de Burcy.
    Fine Norman church.

    Compton Pauncefoot
    Contitone / tona: Geoffrey from Thurstan FitzRolph. Mill.
    19th century Gothic Compton Castle, with lake and parkland.

    Con / Cungresberie / Con / Cungresberia: King's land, formerly Earl Harold; 3 thanes, the pre-Conquest holders. 20 cattle, 200 sheep.
    15th century priest's house. King Alfred gave a monastery here to his tutor Asser.

    Corstune / tuna: Bath Church. Mill.
    On the River Avon.

    Corton Denham
    Corfetone / tona: King's land, formerly Wulfward White, a thane of Queen Edith. 150 sheep.

    Consintone / tona: Walter de Douai from Glastonbury Church. 26 pigs.
    Pretty; in the Polden Hills; manor house; 13th century church.

    Grenedone / dona: Aldred, the pre-Conquest holder, from Humphrey the Chamberlain. Mill.
    Now Crandon Bridge.

    Creech St. Michael
    Crice: King's land, formerly Earl Godwin's daughter, Gunhilda. Mill, fishery.
    On the River Tone and the Bridgwater and Taunton Canal.

    Cruche / Chruca / Cruca / Crucca / Crucche: King's land, formerly Edeva. 4 mills. 400 sheep.
    Market town, a centre of cloth-making and associated trades.

    Cricket Malherbie
    Cruchet: Drogo from Count of Mortain.
    Cricket Court.

    Cricket St. Thomas
    Cruche / Cruca: Thurstan from Count of Mortain. Mill. 14 cattle.
    Wildlife park in the grounds of Cricket House.

    Cruce: Rademar from Walter de Douai.
    Great and Little Crook fields, in Bawdrip.

    Coristone / Coriscoma: Roger de Courseulles from Glastonbury Church. 2 mills (with Shepton Mallet).
    Weaving industry; 2 manor houses; church with rare 17th century wood carving.

    Crawecumbe / coma: Robert the Constable from Count of Mortain. 26 cattle.
    Church house, 1515; 18th century Crowcombe Court.

    Concintone / tona / Cucintona: Bretel from Count of Mortain.
    Near the Dorset border.

    Cudeworde / worda / Cudeorda: Odo from Roger Arundel.

    Chetenore / nora: Drogo from Bishop of Coutances.
    England's smallest complete parish church, probably Saxon, with a 12th century nave.

    Curry Mallet
    Curi: Roger de Courseulles.
    Called after the Norman Mallet family, whose arms are on the manor house.

    Curiepol: Roger de Courseulles.

    Curry Rivel
    Churi / Curi / Chori: King's land, formerly King Edward.
    Burton Pynsent column, designed by Capability Brown and erected by William Pitt the Elder in memory of his benefactor.

    Udecome / coma: William de Mohun and 3 men-at-arms from him. Mill. 36 brood mares, 250 sheep.
    In Somerset's highest parish, near Dunkery Beacon, built 1707.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details

    Deadman's Well
    Denesmodeswelle / suella / Denemodeswella:

    Dinnitone / tona / Duintone / tona: Siward from Glastonbury Church. Siward Falconer from the king. Mill.
    Near Hinton House, where Roman pavements were found.

    Dinescove / Digenescova: Harding from the king. 28 pigs.

    Dicesget: Glastonbury Church. Mill.
    Below Ditcheat Hill.

    Stawe: Doda from the king. Mill.
    Dodington Hall.


    Doniet / Donieht: Drogo from Count of Mortain. Mill. 12 brood mares.
    Once 'Dunna's Gate', marking the boundary of Neroche Forest.

    Doltin: Glastonbury Church; Roger de Courseulles. Mill. 340 sheep.
    Famous for quarries which provided stone for Glastonbury and Wells.

    Dovri / Doveri: Alric from Roger de Courseulles, formerly Edeva.
    Adjoining Porlock.

    Doules / Douelis / Duuelis: Bishop of Coutances and William de Monceaux from him.
    Now Dowlish Wake.

    Dunehefde: Erneis from Glastonbury Church, formerly Wulfgar, a monk.
    Manor farm.

    Donescumbe / cumba: Aeleva from Roger de Courseulles.
    On Exmoor.

    Draycott (in Limington)
    Draicote / Draecota / Dreicote / Dregecota: Count of Mortain from the king and William de Courseulles from him. Mill.

    Draycott (in Rodney Stoke)
    Draicote: Godwin the Englishman from the king with his mother the pre-Conquest holder. 2 oxen.

    Draintune / tunna / Draintuna: Muchelney Abbey and Ceolric and Wulfward from the Abbey.

    Dolvertone / tune / Dol / Dulvertona: King's land, formerly Earl Harold.
    Small market town.

    Duncretone / tona / tun: Bernard Pancevolt from Thurstan FitzRolph. Mill. 212 sheep.
    On Cam Brook.

    Torre / Torra: William de Mohun. 2 mills.
    Market town. Dunster Castle was rebuilt in stone in the 12th century; 16th century hotel, the Luttrell Arms; Georgian town centre. De Mohun founded the priory here in 1095.

    Doneham: Walter de Douai.
    Dunwear House on the outskirts of Bridgwater.

    Dereberge / berga: Roger de Courseulles from Glastonbury Church.

    Durlege / lega: Ansger.
    Durleigh Reservoir.

    Destona / Derstona: Richard from Roger Arundel.
    Buckland Farm nearby was built with stone from a priory of the Knights of St. John.

    Leding / Ledich: Ranulf from Alfred d'Epaignes.

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2024 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved

    Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings