|Semebre: Turold from Earl Roger. Mill.|
Compact; early 18th century hall; ponds; castle mound.
|Sandord: Gerard. Enclosed hunting wood.|
Hall, 1685, in vast grounds on the Cheshire border; moated site.
|Savintune: Nigel from Earl Roger.|
Church, mill. Large; adjoining airfield; late Norman church nearby.
|Sawesberie: Gerard from Earl Roger.|
|Setham: Ralph de Mortimer and Ingelrann from him.|
In the Severn valley.
|Sc(h)entune: Ralph de Mortimer from Earl Roger. Mill.|
On the outskirts of Shrewsbury.
|Saltone: Bishop of Chester and Church of St. Chad from him.|
Pond near the site of the medieval manor house.
|Halam / Halas: Rainald the Sheriff from Earl Roger. Mill.|
Small town, once a Georgian coaching town.
|Iteshale: Robert FitzTetbald from Earl Roger.|
|Sciplei: Ralph from Earl Roger.|
Tiny; hall, 1587.
|Scipetune: Church of St. Milburga before and after 1066.|
Masonry from a medieval keep dismantled by the Roundheads in 1645.
|Saleurdine: Rainald the Sheriff from Earl Roger.|
County town, an important military centre until the Civil War and a leading trading centre for wool and cloth. The medieval street plan remains; many timber-framed buildings.
|Ciropesberie: Earl Roger.|
Isolated; 17th century castle.
|Sibetune: Picot from Earl Roger.|
|Sudberie: Ralph de Mortimer from Earl Roger.|
Siefton Orchards; ponds.
Farmhouse on the edge of an airfield.
|Eslepe: William Pantulf from Earl Roger.|
|Smerecote: Edmund, the pre-Conquest holder, from Earl Roger.|
Soulton Hall, 1668.
|Suletune: Church of St. Michael.|
|Sponelege: Nigel from Earl Roger.|
Mainly Saxon church.
|Stantone: Roger de Lacy and Richard, Azelin, Roger and Auti from him; Church of St. Peter. Church, 3 mills.|
Now 2 villages: Holdgate which has a castle mound, the remains of a castle built by Helgot; and Stanton Long, which has developed since the 13th century.
|Stantune: Roger de Lacy from Earl Roger and Herbert from him; Helgot from Earl Roger. Castle, church.|
Stanton upon Hine Heath
Early Norman church; 2 mills; Forge coppice across the River Roden.
|Stantune: Rainald the Sheriff from Earl Roger and Richard from him. Church, mill. Smith.|
Stanwardine in the Fields
|Staurdine: Robert Pincerna from Earl Roger.|
Late Victorian Stanway Manor House.
|Staneweie: Rainald the Sheriff from Earl Roger.|
Norman castle mound; Tudor house on a medieval stone plinth.
|Hundeslit: Roger FitzCorbet and Alward from Earl Roger.|
|Stile: Roger de Curcelle from Earl Roger.|
|Steple: Ralph de Mortimer and Goisfrid from him.|
Jacobean manor house.
|Scevintone: Helgot from Earl Roger.|
|Stochetone: Gerard from Earl Roger.|
Stoke St. Milborough
Church; ancient well; named after the Saxon saint, Milburga.
|Godestoch: Church of St. Milburga from Earl Roger.|
Fortified manor house built by Laurence de Ludlow, a wealthy clothier, in 1290. Undamaged by the Civil War, it is one of the finest examples of its kind in Britain.
|Stoches: Roger de Lacy. Mill.|
Stoke upon Tern
Victorian church; manor house with earthworks and ponds.
|Stoche(s): Roger de Lacy from Earl Roger. Church, mill.|
Quiet; church with a Saxon doorway and early Norman tower and font.
|Stodesdone: Earl Roger. Mill.|
|Straford: Rainald the Sheriff from Earl Roger.|
Now All Stretton, a village, Little Stretton, a hamlet, and Church Stretton.
|Stratun(e): Earl Roger. Church, mill, 5 enclosed hunting woods.|
Sutton (near Shrewsbury)
Outer suburb of Shrewsbury, spring dispensing metallic-tasting water.
|Sudtone: Church of St. Milburga before and after 1066.|
|Sudtone: Gerard from Earl Roger.|
Sutton upon Tern
|Sudtone: Roger de Curcelle from Earl Roger. Mill.|