[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?
  • Nottinghamshire S-Z

    Click here for details Click here for details
    S

    Salterford
    Saltreford: Osbern FitzRichard.
    Salterford Farm.

    Saundby
    Sandebi: King's land; Archbishop of York.

    Saxondale
    Saxeden: Roger de Bully. Church.

    Scaftworth
    Scafteorde: Archbishop of York.
    On the River Idle.

    Scarrington
    Scarintone: King's land.
    Quiet; ancient dovecote, now a garage.

    Scofton
    Scotebi: King's land.
    Tiny, in Sherwood Forest.

    Screveton
    Escreventone / Screvetone / Screvintone: King's land; Hugh the nephew of Herbert from Bishop of Bayeux; Roger de Bully.
    Church with an Anglo-Saxon cross.

    Scrooby
    Scrobi: Archbishop of York.
    Brewster Cottage, said to be the home of William Brewster, Pilgrim Father and founder of Plymouth, New England; site of a moated archbishop's palace, visited by Henry VII and Cardinal Wolsey.

    Selston
    Salestune: William Peverel.
    Church, Now 2 villages, Selston and Selston Green; church with Norman arches and pillars.

    Serlby
    Serlebi: Roger de Bully.
    Roman bank and earthworks nearby.

    Shelford
    Scelford: Roger de Bully; Geoffrey Alselin. Church.
    Site of 12th century priory; church with the remains of an Anglo-Saxon cross with Virgin and Child. A Royalist stronghold during the Civil War, the manor house was burned by the Roundheads.

    Shelton
    Sceltun(e): Robert from Roger de Bully; Ralph de Limesy; Ilbert de Lacy. Church (with Flawborough); mill site.
    By the River Devon.

    Sibthorpe
    Sibetorp: Fredegis from Count Alan; Robert from William Peverel; Arngrim from Ilbert de Lacy. Church, 1¼ mills.
    Easter Sepulchre in church; 20 Irish yew trees in graveyard, said to be 1000 years old; old manor house; traces of a moat; medieval dovecote, 98ft in circumference.

    Skegby (in Marnham)
    Scachebi: Roger de Bully.
    Near the Lincolnshire border.

    Skegby (in Sutton in Ashfield)
    Schegebi: King's land. Fishery, 2 churches.
    Church.

    Sneinton
    Notintone: King's land.
    Part of Nottingham; birthplace of William Booth (1829-1912), founder of the Salvation Army.

    South Muskham
    Muscham: Archbishop of York; Seric from the king.
    Near the River Trent.

    South Ordsall
    Suderdeshale: King's land.
    Part of Ordsall.

    South Scarle
    Scornelei: Bishop of Lincoln.
    Views of Lincoln Cathedral; dovecote with a pyramidical roof.

    Southwell
    Sudeuuelle / Sudwelle: Archbishop of York. 3 mills, fishpond, ferry.
    Town. South Minster, the mother church of Nottinghamshire, was begun in 1108 under the Archbishop of York and retains all 3 Norman towers. Charles I spent his last night of freedom at the 17th century Saracen's Head.

    Spalford
    Spaldesforde: Bishop of Lincoln; Roger de Bully.
    On the Lincolnshire border.

    Stanford on Soar
    Stanford: Roger de Bully; Robert FitzWilliam. Mill, mill-site.

    Stanton on the Wolds
    Stantun(e): Alfred from Count of Mortain; Roger de Bully; William Peverel; Robert FitzWilliam.
    Nearly deserted.

    Stapleford
    Stapleford: Robert from William Peverel. Church.
    Town on the outskirts of Nottingham. St. Helen's Church is 13th century with a 10ft high Saxon cross.

    Staunton
    Stantun: King's land; Walter d'Aincourt. Church, mill.
    Now Staunton in the Vale; church with a Norman font. Sir Walter Scott stayed with the Staunton family and used the 16th century Hall as 'Willingham' in The Heart of Midlothian, 1818.

    Staythorpe
    Startorp: Gilbert Tison. Mill.
    On Pingley Dyke.

    Stoke Bardolph
    Stoches: Geoffrey Alselin. Church, fishery, 2 mills.
    Chapel.

    Stokeham
    Estoches: Nigel from Bishop of Lincoln, formerly Lady Godiva.

    Strelley
    Straelie / Straleia: Godwin the priest and Ambrose from William Peverel; Wulfsi and Godwin from the king.
    Unspoilt. Owned by 2 families since the 12th century; the Strelleys until the 17th century, the Edges until today.

    Sturton le Steeple
    Estretone: King's land; Roger de Bully.

    Styrrup
    Estirape: Bernard from Roger de Bully.
    The 'Hanging Field' in this parish might have been the gallows site for Blythe and the surrounding area.

    Sutton
    Sudtone: Archbishop of York.
    Near East Retford.

    Sutton Bonington
    Su(d)tone: Robert FitzWilliam from Earl Hugh; Count of Mortain; Henry de Ferrers; Siward and Coleman from the king. Mill.
    17th century houses.

    Sutton in Ashfield
    Sutone: King's land. Mill, fishery (with Mansfield and Skegby).
    Mining town; lake.

    Sutton on Trent
    Sudtone: Hervey from Count Alan; Roger de Bully. Church, 3 fisheries.
    Church with Saxon foundations.

    Sutton Passeys
    Sudtune / Sutone:
    Lost.

    Swanston
    Suanesterne:
    Lost.

    Syerston
    Sirestun(e): King's land; Robert from Count Alan; Bishop of Lincoln; Godwin from Berengar de Tosny.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    T

    Teversal
    Tevreshalt: Ralph FitzHubert. Mill.
    Colliery; manor house.

    Thoresby
    Turesbi: King's land.
    In Sherwood Forest; Thoresby Park, with lake and medieval oaks. Thoresby Hall was rebuilt on the site of the home of Lady Mary Wortley Montagu, the great English letter-writer.

    Thorney
    Torneshaie: Bishop of Lincoln.

    Thoroton
    Toruentun / ertune: King's land; Ilbert de Lacy.
    Gave its name to Robert Thoroton, author of Antiquities of Nottinghamshire (1677).

    Thorpe by Neward
    Torp: Manfred from Ralph de Limesy.

    Thorpe in the Glebe
    Torp: King's land; Roger de Bully.
    Ancient site on the Leicestershire border.

    Thrumpton
    Turmodestun: Roger de Bully. William Peverel; Hugh de Grandmesnil.
    Prehistoric trackway nearby.

    Thurgarton
    Turgarstune: Walter d'Aincourt.
    Walter's son Ralph founded the Augustinan priory. Parts remain in the rebuilt church and the undercroft of an adjoining house.

    Tiln
    Tille / Tilne: King's land; Archbishop of York. 2 mills, 2 mills (with Clarborough).
    On the River Idle.

    Tithby
    Tiedebi: Fredegis from William Peverel; Walter d'Aincourt.
    Tythby Grange.

    Tollerton
    Troclavestune: Roger de Bully. 2 mills, church.
    Near Polser Brook; church; airport.

    Torworth
    Turdeworde: Azor the priest from Roger de Bully.

    Toton
    Toluestone / Touetune: Warner from William Peverel; Ralph FitzHubert. ½ church, 2 mills, small willow bed.
    Part of Beeston, Nottingham; near the marshes and lakes of a nature reserve.

    Treswell
    Tireswelle: Robert de Moutiers from Count Alan; Roger from Roger de Bully.

    Trowell
    Torwalle / Trouualle: William the Usher; Aelfric, the pre-Conquest holder, Haldane and Ernwin from the king. ½ church.
    Within a few miles of the exact centre of England.

    Tuxford
    Tuxfarne: Roger de Bully. Mill.
    Small market town. Its charter for a weekly market and annual fair was granted by Henry III in 1218.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    U

    Upper Broughton
    Brotone: King's land. Mill.
    Also called Broughton Sulney; known for its healing spring waters.

    Upton
    Uptone / tun(e): King's land; Roger de Bully.
    Within village of Headon; birthplace of James Tennant (1808-81) who superintended the cutting of the Koh-i-noor diamond for Queen Victoria's crown.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    W

    Walesby
    Walesbi: King's land; Roger de Bully; Geoffrey Alselin; Roger de Poitou.

    Walkeringham
    Wachering(e)ham: King's land; Roger from Roger de Bully.
    Between the Chesterfield Canal and the River Trent.

    Wansley
    Wanddeslei: Ralph FitzHubert. ½ church.
    Wansley Hall; Wansley Hall Farm.

    Warborough
    Wareberg:
    Lost.

    Warsop
    Wares(h)ope / Warsope: King's land and a blind man from the king; Roger de Bully. Church. mill, ½ mill-site.
    Mining town divided by the River Meden; mainly Norman church.

    Watnall
    Watenot: Grim, Aelmer, Jocelyn and Grimkell from William Peverel.
    On the outskirts of Nottingham.

    Welham
    Wellon / Wellun: King's land; Archbishop of York.
    Welham Hall.

    Wellow
    Creilege: Gilbert de Ghent.
    Wellow Park; ducking stool.

    West Bridgford
    Brigeforde: William Peverel.
    Town adjoining Nottingham, mentioned in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles for the year 920, when Edward the Elder ordered a bridge across the River Trent, and a borough to be built on the south side of the river.

    West Burton
    Burtone: 2 men-at-arms from Archbishop of York.
    Site of Burton Round, now fenland; new power station nearby.

    West Drayton
    Draitone: Roger de Bully. 3 mills.
    Between the Maun and Idle rivers.

    Weston
    Westone: Fulk, Robert and Turold from Roger de Bully. Church, mill.
    Church; moat.

    Whatton
    Watone: Robert from Gilbert de Ghent. Mill, millstone quarry.
    Ancient fishpond.

    Wheatley
    Watelaie: King's land; 2 men-at-arms from Archbishop of York; Roger de Bully.
    Now 2 villages, North and South Wheatley, on a Roman road.

    Widmerpool
    Wimarspol(d): Ralph FitzHubert; Haldane from the king.
    Among the Wolds.

    Wigsley
    Wigesleie: Bishop of Lincoln.
    Near the Lincolnshire border.

    Wilford
    Wilesforde: William Peverel. ½ fishery.
    District of Clifton, Nottingham. The ashes of the 19th century poet Henry Kirke White are in the churchyard.

    Willoughby
    Wilgebi: Archbishop of York; Geoffrey Alselin. ½ mill.
    Willoughby Farm, near Norwell.

    Willoughby
    Wilgebi: King's land; Geoffrey Alselin; Roger de Poitou.
    Near Walesby.

    Willoughby-on-the-Wolds
    Wigebi / Willebi: Roger de Bully; William Peverel; Roger de Poitou; Henry de Ferrers; Algar, Alwin and Ernwin from the king.
    Home of the Willoughby family from 13th century to 1924; site of one of Nottinghamshire's 5 Roman stations.

    Wimpton
    Wimentun: King's land.
    Whimpton Moor, near Dunham.

    Winkburn
    Wicheburne: Gilbert Tison. Church.
    Secluded; owned, with the mainly Norman church, by the Knights Hospitalers in the 12th century.

    Winthorpe
    Wimuntorp: Bishop of Lincoln.

    Wiseton
    Wisetone: King's land.
    Unspoilt.

    Wiverton
    Wivretone: William Peverel; Walter d'Aincourt.
    15th century gatehouse.

    Wollaton
    Waletone / Ol(l)avestone: King's land; Warner from William Peverel.
    Part of Nottingham; Elizabethan Wollaton Hall, now a Natural History museum.

    Woodborough
    Ude(s)burg: Archbishop of York; Roger de Bully; Ralph de Limesy; Haldane, Ulfkell, the pre-Conquest holder, and Aelfric from the king. Mill with Epperstone, 4 mills, church.
    Large; Iron Age hill fort discernable; Norman church rebuilt in the 14th century; once a centre for stocking knitting.

    Worksop
    Werchesope: Roger de Bully.
    Market town on the edge of Sherwood Forest. Remains of Anglo-Saxon and Norman residences, and an ancient British earthwork, are on Castle Hill.

    Wysall
    Wisoc: Roger from Roger de Bully. Church.
    In the Wolds; church with the county's oldest pulpit, c.1400.

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2017 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved