[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?
  • Nottinghamshire F-R

    Click here for details Click here for details
    F

    Farndon
    Farendune: Bishop of Lincoln, formerly Countess Godiva.

    Farnsfield
    Farnesfeld / Franesfeld: King's land; Walter d'Aincourt.
    Traces of a Roman camp nearby; birthplace of A.C. Gregory, who explored Australia in the 19th century.

    Fenton
    Fentone / tune: King's land; Roger de Bully, formerly Sparrowhawk.

    Finningley
    Feniglei: Gilbert Tison.
    Fenland; manor owned by Sir Martin Frobisher, Elizabethan navigator.

    Fiskerton
    Fiscartune: Walter d'Aincourt. 2 mills, fishery.
    On the River Trent; mill.

    Flawborough
    Flodberga / berge: Robert from Roger de Bully; Walter d'Aincourt and Mauger from him. Church, mill site.
    Famed for the longevity of its inhabitants; church with a Norman doorway and font.

    Fledborough
    Fladeburg: Nigel from Bishop of Lincoln, formerly Countess Godiva. Church, mill.
    A port in the 13th century and second Gretna Green in the 18th under Rector Sweetapple; church.

    Flintham
    Flint(e)ham: King's land; Roger and Ernwin the priest from Roger de Bully; Reginald from Walter d'Aincourt. Church.
    13th century church. /

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    G

    Gamston (near Eaton)
    Gamesletun(e): Roger de Bully; Roger de Poitou and Ketelbern, the pre-Conquest holder, from him. 2 mills, 2 gardens.
    On the River Idle.

    Gamston (in West Bridgford)
    Gamelestune: William Peverel.
    On the outskirts of West Bridgford.

    Gedling
    Ghellinge: Roger de Bully; Geoffrey Alselin. Church.
    District on the outskirts of Carlton, Nottingham; church; Gedling Wood Farm.

    Gibsmere
    Gipesmare: Ralph FitzHubert.
    Fenland.

    Girton
    Gretone: Bishop of Lincoln.

    Gleadthorpe
    Gletorp: Roger de Bully.
    Gleadthorpe Grange; Gleadthorpe Breck Plantation; a few houses.

    Gonalston
    Gunnulfstone / Gunnuluestone / tune: William Peverel; Ralph de Limesy. 2 mills (with Milton).
    On Dover Beck; 2 water mills in 1179. A mill towards Lowdham worked on child labour into the 19th century.

    Gotham
    Gatham: Count Robert from Count of Mortain; Saewin from the king.

    Granby
    Gran / Grenebi: Walter d'Aincourt; Robert d'Oilly from Osbern FitzRichard. 2 churches, 3 mills. 13th century church.

    Grassthorpe
    Grestorp: Roger from Roger de Bully. 3 mills.
    On the River Trent.

    Greasley
    Griselea: Alric from William Peverel. Church.
    Moorland. The church has a list of parish priests from 1254.

    Grimston
    Grimestone / tune: King's land.
    Grimston Hill, overlooking Sherwood Forest.

    Gringley on the Hill
    Gringeleia: Roger from Roger de Bully. Church, fishery (1000 eels).
    Hillside; views over Chesterfield Canal; church with a possibly Norman arch.

    Grove
    Grave: Robert from Roger de Bully. Church.
    Church.

    Gunthorpe
    Gulne / Gunnetorp: Roger de Bully. 2 fisheries.
    On the River Trent; once owned by Simon de Montfort.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    H

    Harby
    Herd(r)ebi: Bishop of Lincoln.
    Queen Eleanor of Castile died here in 1290 on a visit to Sherwood Forest.

    Harwell
    Hereuuelle: Roger de Bully.

    Harworth
    Hareworde: Fulk from Roger de Bully. Church.
    Colliery; church with Norman fragments and 2 sedilia.

    Haughton
    Hoctun: Roger de Poitou.
    In Sherwood Forest; motte and bailey; home of Denzil Holles, Lord Mayor of London, and Speaker of the House of Commons in 1599.

    Hawksworth
    Hoches(u)uorde: Walter d'Aincourt; Gilbert de Ghent.
    Fenland; site of a Wars of the Roses battlefield.

    Hawton
    Holtone / Houtune: Bishop of Lincoln; Walter d'Aincourt; Alfred from Ralph de Limesy. 2 churches, mill.
    Earthworks; fine 14th century church.

    Headon
    Hedune: King's land; William from Roger de Bully.

    Hempshill
    Hamessel: William Peverel.
    Hempshill Vale, part of Nottingham.

    Hickling
    (H)Echelinge / Hegelinge: Archbishop of York; Gilbert de Lacy. Mill.
    On the Grantham Canal and River Smite.

    High Marnham
    Marneham: Fulk from Roger de Bully.
    On the River Trent.

    Hockerton
    Hocretone / -tune / Ocretone: Archbishop of York; Roger de Bully; Walter d'Aincourt. Church.
    Church with a Norman chancel, arch and window.

    Hodsock
    Odesach: Turold from Roger de Bully. 2 mills.
    Ancient gatehouse and priory.

    Holme Pierrepont
    Holmo: Thorold from Roger de Bully. Mill.
    Early 17th century Hall; Holme Pierrepont Country Park nearby.

    Horsepool
    Horspol:
    Lost.

    Hoveringham
    Horingeham: Walter d'Aincourt. Church, 2 mills, 2 fisheries.
    Farming; church with a Norman font.

    Hucknall Torkard
    Hochehale / enale: William Peverel; Osmund from Ralph de Buron.
    Mining town; church with 8th century Saxon work. The Torkards were landowners in the 12th century. Lord Byron is buried here in the family vault.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    I

    Inkersall
    Wirchenefeld: Gilbert de Ghent.
    Inkersall Farm and Inkersall Grange Farm in Sherwood Forest. Formerly Winkerfield.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    K

    Kelham
    Calun: Turold from Roger de Bully; Walter d'Aincourt; William from Ralph de Burson; Haldane from the king; William Tison.
    19th century hall by Gilbert Scott; theological college.

    Kersall
    Cherueshale: Gilbert de Ghent.

    Keyworth
    Cau(u)orde: Alfred from Count of Mortain; Roger de Bully; William Peverel; Ralph FitzHubert.
    Large; views of the Wolds.

    Kilvington
    Chelvinctune / Chelvintone / Chelvintun: Bishop of Lincoln; Ilbert de Lacy; Ansger from Hugh FitzBaldric.
    Hilltop; fine views.

    Kimberley
    Chinemarel(e)ie: Grimketel from William Peverel.
    Town near Nottingham, part owned in the 19th century by Viscount Melbourne.

    Kingston on Soar
    Chinestan: a freeman from Earl Hugh; Saewin from the king; Godric. Mill-site.
    On Kingston Brook, near the River Soar. Home of Antony Babington, page and follower of Mary Queen of Scots, who was the figurehead in the plot to murder Queen Elizabeth in 1586. He was caught and executed, aged 25.

    Kinoulton
    Chineltone / tune: Walter d'Aincourt; Azor's son from the king.
    On the Grantham Canal, fine views, cricket ground.

    Kirkby in Ashfield
    Chirchebi: Ralph FitzHubert; Aelfric, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king. Church, 2 mills.
    Coal mining town in Sherwood Forest; church; source of 3 rivers; Erewash, Leen and Maun.

    Kirklington
    Cherlinton: Gilbert de Ghent; mill.
    On the River Greet; millpool.

    Kirton
    Schidri(n)ctune / Schidrnton / tune / Schitrintone: King's land; Roger de Bully; Geoffrey Alselin.
    Sherwood Forest.

    Knapthorpe
    Chena(pe)torp: Walter d'Aincourt; Geoffrey Alselin; Haldane from the king.

    Kneesall
    Cheneshale: Gilbert de Ghent.
    Part of a Saxon cross in the church.

    Kneeton
    Cheniueton(e): King's land; Count Alan; Roger de Bully. ½ church, mill.
    Hilltop. The church register dates from 1592.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    L

    Lambley
    Lambeleia: Haldane from the king. 2 mills.
    On Lambley Dumble (a small gorge) and Cocker Beck; birthplace of Ralph, Lord Cromwell c.1394, High Treasurer of England.

    Lamcote
    Lambecotes / Lanbecote: Roger de Bully; Osmund from Ralph de Buron; Haldane from the king.
    Lamcote Field near Radcliffe on Trent.

    Laneham
    Lanun: Archbishop of York. Church, mill.
    2 villages, Laneham and Church Laneham which has a church with Norman features and a font.

    Langar
    Langare: William Peverel; Walter d'Aincourt. 2 mills, ½ church.
    In Belvoir Vale; church called the 'cathedral of the Vale'.

    Langford
    Landeforde: Ranulf from Geoffrey de La Guerche. Church, 2 mills, fishery.
    Church; Tudor manor house.

    Leake
    Lec(c)he: Count of Mortain; Ernulf from Roger de Bully; Henry de Ferrers. Church. Mill.
    Now 2 villages, East and West Leake. Church with Norman or Saxon masonry, and a tin trumpet 8ft long, used until 1855 to make 'a joyful noise'.

    Lenton
    Lentone / tune: King's land; William Peverel. 2 mills.
    District in central Nottingham; White Hart Inn contains of remnants of old Peverel Jail founded in 1113 for debtors.

    Leverton
    Cledretone / Legretone: 22 freemen from the king; Roger de Bully; Count Alan; 2 men-at-arms from Archbishop of York. ½ church.
    Now 2 villages, North and South Leverton.

    Linby
    Lidebi: William Peverel. Mill.
    Mining; stream and converted Castle Mill with water wheel. Stone crosses nearby are thought to mark the ancient boundaries of Sherwood Forest.

    Littleborough
    Litelburg: King's land.
    On the River Trent; remnants of a Roman ford; the smallest Norman church in the county.

    Little Gringley
    Grenelei(g) / Grenleige: King's land; Archbishop of York.

    Lound
    Lund: Archbishop of York; Roger de Bully.

    Lowdham
    Lud(e)ham: Archbishop of York; Roger de Bully. Mill.
    Near Dover Beck and Broughton Hall.

    Low Marnham
    Alia Marneham: Roger de Bully. Mill, fishery.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    M

    Mansfield
    Mamesfeld / Memmesfed: King's land. Mill, fishery, 2 churches.
    Important industrial town with cliff cave dwellings at Rock Hill. It was the home of the Mercian Kings and a royal hunting resort in Sherwood Forest; Norman church.

    Manton
    Mennetune: William Peverel.
    Part of Worksop.

    Maplebeck
    Mapelbec / berg: King's land; Gilbert de Ghent.
    Smallest pub in Nottinghamshire.

    Markham Clinton
    Westmarcham: Roger de Bully from Claron and 6 Frenchmen from him.
    Church with Saxon masonry (mud floors until 1949); formerly West or Little Markham.

    Martin
    Martune: Roger de Bully.
    Martin Grange; ancient moat; Martin Common Farm.

    Mattersey
    Madressei: King's land; Roger de Bully.
    Old bridge; remains of Mattersey Priory, a small Gilbertine monastery founded in 1185.

    Meering
    Meringe: King's land.
    Between Sutton on Trent and Carlton on Trent.

    Milton
    Miletune: William Peverel. 2 mills (with Milton).
    On the River Maun.

    Misson
    Misna / ne: Roger de Bully; Ernwin from the king.

    Misterton
    Ministrone: King's land; Roger de Bully. Church.
    Straggling; fenland; church.

    Morton (in Babworth)
    Mortune: King's land.

    Morton (in Fiskerton)
    Mortun(e): Walter d'Aincourt; Ralph FitzHubert.
    Old dovecote.

    Morton (in Lenton)
    Mortune: William Peverel.
    Part of central Nottingham.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    N

    Newark
    Newerc(h)e: Bishop of Lincoln, formerly Countess Godiva. 10 churches, mill, fishery.
    Important market town on a Roman road, called 'the Key of the North' in Anglo-Saxon times.

    Newbold
    Neubold:
    Lost.

    Newbound
    Neubold: William Peverel.
    Newbound Farm; Newbound Cottage; Newbound Lane.

    Newthorpe
    Neutorp: Count of Mortain; William Peverel.
    Part of Eastwood.

    Newton
    Neutone / Niuuetune: Roger de Bully; Geoffrey Alselin.
    RAF station.

    Normanton
    Normantun / menton: Gilbert de Ghent.
    Hall opposite Southwell on the River Greet.

    Normanton by Clumber
    Normentone: King's land.
    In Sherwood Forest.

    Normanton on Soar
    Normanton(e) / tune: Earl Hugh; Roger de Bully; Haldane from Count of Mortain; Raven from the king.
    On the River Soar.

    Normanton on Trent
    Normentone / tune: Bishop of Lincoln; Roger from Roger de Bully.

    Normanton on the Wolds
    Normantone / tun: Roger de Bully; William Peverel.

    North Muskham
    Nordmuscham: Peterborough Abbey; Geoffrey Alselin; Bishop of York; Siward, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king. 2 churches, 6 mills.
    Church with Norman fragments.

    Norwell
    Nortwelle: Archbishop of York. Church, mill, fishery.
    Church with a Norman doorway and coffin stone; old moat; Watermill Farm. Previously Northwell.

    Nottingham
    Snoting(e)ham / quin: King's land; Hugh FitzBaldric; the Sheriff; Roger de Bully; William Peverel; Ralph de Buron; Wulfbert; Ralph FitzHubert; Geoffrey Alselin; Richard Frail. Church.
    Thriving, modern county town, traditionally renowned for its lace. Its imposing castle, now a museum, is on a post-Conquest site.

    Nuthall
    Nutehale: William Peverel; Aelfric from the king.
    Small town north of Nottingham.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    O

    'Odsthorpe'
    Odestorp:
    Lost.

    Ollerton
    Alretun: Roger de Bully. Mill.
    Coal mining town; old mill; Ollerton Hall.

    Ompton
    Almentun(e) / Almuntone: King's land; Geoffrey Alselin.

    Ordsall
    Ordeshale: Roger de Bully; Ernwy from the king.
    Part of East Retford. During the Commonwealth the vicar was turned out for playing cards with his wife.

    Orston
    Oschintone: King's land. Church.
    Church with Norman transitional font. A hoard of Civil War coins was discovered nearby in 1952.

    Osberton
    Osbermestune: Swein and Wulfgate from the king. Church.
    Osberton Hall built by Wyatt in 1806 has a church in its grounds.

    Osmanthorpe
    Osuuitorp: Archbishop of York.
    Osmanthorpe Manor.

    Ossington
    Oschintone: Ralph de Buron.
    Secluded; seat of the Denison family since 1768; hall demolished in 1963.

    Owthorpe
    Obetorp / Oretorp: William from Roger de Bully; Geoffrey Alselin; Durand Malet.
    Home of John Hutchinson, Puritan Governor of Nottingham and signatory to Charles I's death warrant. He died in prison after the Restoration, and is buried in the churchyard. The gardens of his Hall remain.

    Oxton
    Ostone / tune: Archbishop of York; Roger de Bully; Walter d'Aincourt. Mill.
    In Sherwood Forest. Robert and Marie Scothorn sailed from here to America in 1684 to join William Penn.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    P

    Papplewick
    Papleuuic: William Peverel.
    Cave, said to be Robin Hood's stable. Papplewick Hall, designed by the Adams brothers, was owned by John Walter, proprietor of The Times. The first English steam-powered mill was built here in 1785.

    Perlethorpe
    Torp: King's land; Richard from Roger de Bully.

    Plumtree
    Pluntre: Roger de Bully; church.
    Church with 9th century Saxon work, and a Norman arch.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    R

    Radcliffe on Trent
    Radeclive: Fredegis and Wulfegat from William Peverel; Walter d'Aincourt. ½ fishery, 1/3 fishery.
    Town opposite Nottingham on the River Trent. Henry VII heard mass here before leading his army to defeat his enemies at East Stoke in 1487.

    Radford
    Redeford: William Peverel; Wulfnoth from the king. 4 mills, ½ fishery.
    Part of central Nottingham. The River Leen runs, partly underground, through it.

    Ragnall
    Ragenehil: King's land.
    Near the River Trent; ponds.

    Rampton
    Rametone: Roger de Bully. Church, 3½ fisheries.
    Church with possible Saxon features and a Norman font.

    Ranby
    Rane(s)bi: King's land; Roger de Bully.
    In Sherwood Forest; Ranby House.

    Ranskill
    Raveschel: Archbishop of York.
    On the Great North Road.

    Ratcliffe on Soar
    Radeclive: Saewin from the king. Church, mill.
    Church with a 12th century tower; old manor house, now a farm.

    Rayton
    Reneton / Rouuetone: King's land.
    Rayton Farm and Rayton Angle Wood, on the outskirts of Worksop.

    Rempstone
    Rampestone / Rampestune / Repestone: Roger de Bully; William Peverel; Ralph de Buron.

    Retford
    Redford(e): Archbishop of York; Roger de Bully. Mill, ¼ mill.
    Market town of East and West Retford, divided by the River Idle.

    Rolleston
    Roldestun / Rollestone / Rollestune: Archbishop of York; Bishop of York; Bishop of Bayeux; Walter d'Aincourt. Mill, church.
    On the River Greet; church with Saxon masonry and fragments of a Saxon cross; manorial earthworks; racecourse.

    Roolton
    Rolvetune:
    Lost.

    Ruddington
    Roddington(e) / Rodintone / Rodintun: Count Alan; Roger de Bully; Gilbert de Ghent; Robert Malet.
    Small town on the outskirts of Nottingham. Henry VII's army camped here before the battle of East Stoke in 1487.

    Rufford
    Rugforde: Gilbert de Ghent.
    Ruined Abbey founded in 1148 by Gilbert de Ghent; Elizabethan manor, now a country park.

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2017 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved