[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?
  • Northamptonshire Q-Z

    Q

    Quintont
    Quintone: Countess Judith and Winemar from her.
    Manor farm.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    R

    Radstone
    Rodestone: Earl Hugh.

    Raunds
    Rande: Bishop of Coutances; William Peverel. 2 mills (100 eels).
    Town, a centre of the footwear industry; Roman earthworks at Mallow Cotton.

    Ravensthorpe
    Ravenestorp: Count Mortain; Drogo from William Peverel; Gilbert Cook.

    Roade
    Rode: King's land; Dodin from Gunfrid de Chocques.
    Large; developing.

    Rothersthorpe
    Torp: Winemar from Geoffrey Alselin; Gunfrid de Chocques. Mill.
    17th century manor house.

    Rothwell
    Rodewelle: King's land. 2 mills. (Surveyed with Orton).
    Town with a magnificent medieval church. The annual Charter Fair dates from 1204.

    Rushden
    Ris(e)dene: William Peverel. Mill.
    Footwear manufacturing town; red-brick Victorian terraces.

    Rushton
    Ricsdone / Rise(e)tone: King's land; Grestain Abbey; Hugh from Robert de Tosny; William from Robert de Bucy; Eustace from Countess Judith. 2 mills.
    16th century Triangular Lodge was built by Sir Thomas Tresham as a manifestation of his Roman Catholic faith.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    S

    Scaldwell
    Scalde(s)welle: Aubrey from Bishop of Coutances; St. Edmund's Abbey (gift from King William for the soul of Queen Matilda); also Hugh from Countess Judith.

    Seawell
    Sewelle: Robert de Tosny. Mill.
    Isolated.

    Sibbertoft
    Sibertod: Count of Mortain.
    Castle Yard, a large motte and bailey nearby.

    Silverstone
    Sel / Silvestone: Count of Mortain; Godwin from Giles brother of Ansculf; Arnold from Geoffrey de Mandeville.

    Slapton
    Slaptone: Jocelyn from Earl Hugh.
    Secluded; manor farm.

    Slipton
    Sliptone: Peterborough Abbey.

    Snorscomb
    Snochescumbe: Count of Mortain; and Alric from him.
    Isolated; mill.

    Southorpe
    Sudtorp: Goeffrey and 2 other men-at-arms from Peterborough Abbey. 2½ mills.
    String of houses. Mill Farm.

    Spratton
    Spretone / Sprotone: William and Durand from Count of Mortain; Ralph from Robert de Bucy; Rohais from Countess Judith. 2 mills.
    Hall.

    Stanford on Avon
    Stanford: Abbot Benedict of Selby from Guy de Raimbeaucourt.

    Stanion
    Stanere: King's land; Edwin from Bishop of Coutances. Mill.
    In Rockingham Forest.

    Stanwick
    Stanewiga / wige: Peterborough Abbey. Mill.
    Manor house.

    Staverton
    Stavertone: Count of Mortain; Hugh de Grandmesnil.
    Stone-built; manor house.

    Steane
    Stane: Giles brother of Ansculf. Mill.
    17th century chapel and manor house. The site of the medieval vilage wiped out by the Black Death is still visible.

    Stoke Albany
    Stoche: Robert de Tosny. Mill.
    Manor house, mainly 17th century.

    Stoke Bruerne
    Stoche: Swein from the king. Mill.
    Canalside; pavilions designed by Inigo Jones nearby.

    Stoke Doyle
    Stoche: Peterborough Abbey.

    Stowe
    Stowe: Gilbert de Ghent. Mill.
    Now Church Stowe, also known as Stowe Nine Churches because there were 8 fruitless attempts to build the church, with its mainly Saxon tower, elsewhere.

    Stuchbury
    Stoteberie: Hugh and Landric from Giles brother of Ansculf.
    Isolated; manor farm; hall.

    Sudborough
    Sutburg: Westminster Abbey. Mill.
    Riverside; in Rockingham Forest. 'Money Holes' are the remains of a medieval monastery.

    Sulby
    Solebi: Walter from Guy de Raimbeaucourt; Geoffrey de La Guerche.
    Large area of lonely farmsteads, including Sulby Grange.

    Sulgrave
    Sulgrave: Hugh, Landric and Odbert from Giles brother of Ansculf.
    The manor was owned by George Washington's family from 1540 to 1659; Church with Saxon doorway.

    Sutton Bassett
    Sutone: Robert de Bucy; Countess Judith.

    Syresham
    Sigre(s)ham: Ralph from Count of Mortain; King's land, Geoffrey from Giles brother of Ansculf.
    Sprawling; Kingshill farm; Earl's Wood.

    Sywell
    Snewelle: Count of Mortain.
    On the edge of Northampton; Elizabethan hall.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    T

    Tansor
    Tanesovre: King's land. Mill.

    Teeton
    Teche: William Peverel.

    Thenford
    Taneford / Teworde: Roger from Robert d'Oilly; Mainou le Breton. Mill.
    Peaceful; in woodland setting; Roman site nearby.

    Thornby
    Torneberie: William Peverel and Robert from him.

    Thorpe (in Peterborough)
    Torp: Peterborough Abbey.
    Suburb of Peterborough. Longthorpe Hall is by Peter Mills, a contemporary of Christopher Wren.

    Thorpe Lubenham
    Torp: Hugh from Hugh de Grandmesnil.
    Hall, parkland with remains of medieval moat.

    Thorpe Malsor
    Alidetorp: Fulchere from Count of Mortain.
    Hall.

    Thorpe Mandeville
    Torp: Ingelrann from Giles, brother of Ansculf.
    The site of the ancient manor house is still visible.

    Thrapston
    Trapestone: Odelin from Bishop of Coutances; Oger Breton. Mill.
    Small market town with a 13th century bridge.

    Thrupp Grounds
    Torp: Alfred from Count of Mortain; Hugh de Grandmesnil; Gunfrid de Chocques, Leofric the pre-Conquest holder, from Countess Judith.
    Handful of houses on Roman Watling Street.

    Thurning
    Terninge / Torninge: Peterborough Abbey.
    Peaceful.

    Tiffield
    Tifelde: Ralph and William from Count of Mortain.
    Struggling.

    Titchmarsh
    Ticemerse / Tircemesse: Azelin from Peterborough Abbey; Saswalo from Henry de Ferrers. Mill.
    Castle remains.

    Towcester
    Touecestre: King's land. Mill.
    Town that grew up along Roman Watling Street. In the 13th century Benedetto Gaetano, who later became Pope, held the living. The Saracen's Head Inn was immortalised by Charles Dickens in The Pickwick Papers.

    Trafford
    Trapeford: Robert from Earl Hugh. Mill.
    Isolated. Georgian Trafford bridge carries the ancient 'Welsh Road' across the River Cherwell.

    Twywell
    Teowelle / Tuiwella: Thorney Abbey; Countess Judith. 2 mills.
    Elizabethan manor house.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    U

    Upper Heyford
    altera Haiford: Count of Mortain.

    Upton (near Northampton)
    Optone: King's land. Mill.
    18th century hall. Mill.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    W

    Wadenhoe
    Wadenho: Aubrey from Bishop of Coutances; Roger from Peterborough Abbey. 2 mills (65 eels).
    Pretty; manor house; mill.

    Wakefield
    Wacafeld: Ralph the Steward from Count Alan.
    In ancient Whittlewood Forest.

    Wakerley
    Wacherlei: Eudo FitzHubert. Mill.
    On the edge of Rockingham Forest.

    Walgrave
    Waldgrave / Wold(e)grave: King's land; Robert from Count of Mortain; Fulchere from Countess Judith.
    Jacobean hall.

    Walton Grounds
    Wal(e)tone: William from Bishop of Bayeux; Ralph from Count of Mortain. Mill.
    Lonely; Mill House Farm.

    Wappenham
    Wapeham: Giles brother of Ansculf. Mill.

    Warkton
    Werchintone: St. Edmund's Abbey; formerly Countess Aelfeve mother of Earl Morcar. Mill.
    Estate village.

    Warmington
    War / Werminstone: Peterborough Abbey, and 2 men-at-arms from the Abbey. Mill (325 eels).
    Pretty; stone-built manor house; mill.

    Watford
    Wat / Wadford: Gilbert Cook. Mill.
    In parkland.

    Weedon Bec(k)
    Wedone: Count of Mortain; Hugh de Grandmesnil, in exchange for Watford. 2 mills.
    Expanding.

    Weedon Lois
    Wedone: Giles brother of Ansculf. Mill.
    Remains of fishponds. The poet Edith Sitwell was buried here in 1964.

    Weekley
    Wiclei: King's land. Mill.

    Weldon
    Wale(s)done / Weledene / Weledone: Robert de Bucy; Olaf from the king.
    Roman villa nearby; the Romans were the first to work the much-valued local stone.

    Welford
    Wellesford: Alfred from Geoffrey de La Guerche.
    Brick-built; manor house.

    Wellingborough
    Wedlingeberie / Wendle(s)berie: Norigot from Bishop of Coutances; Crowland Abbey; Hugh and Gilbert from Countess Judith. 3 mills.
    Victorian brick-built town, a centre of footwear and clothing industries. Earlier buildings include the largely Jacobean Croyland Abbey. Mills.

    Welton
    Waletone / Weletone / Welintone: Wulfmer the pre-Conquest holder from Count of Mortain; Osbern from Hugh de Grandmesnil; Leofric, the pre-Conquest holder from Countess Judith. Mill.
    Georgian manor house.

    Werrington
    Widerintone: Peterborough Abbey and 4 of the men-at-arms from the Abbey.
    Suburb of Peterborough; Georgian hall.

    West Farndon
    Ferendon(e): Ralph from Count of Mortain; Hugh de Grandmesnil.

    West Haddon
    Ecdone / E(d)done: Coventry Abbey; William Peverel; Gunfrid de Chocques.
    Hall.

    Weston by Welland
    Westone: Robert de Bucy; Countess Judith.

    Weston Favell
    Westone: King's land; Grestain Abbey; Count of Mortain and Walter from him; John from Gunfrid de Chocques.
    Part of Northampton.

    Whilton
    Woltone: Count of Mortain. Mill.
    Quiet.

    Whiston
    Wice(n)tone: Ramsey Abbey; Countess Judith. Mill.
    Quiet. King John may have used the Moat House, which has remains of a bailey.

    Whitfield
    Witefelle: King's land.
    Unspoilt.

    Wicken
    Wicha / Wiche: Roger from Robert d'Oilly; Mainou le Breton.

    Wilbarston
    Wilberdestone / Wilbertestone: King's land. Robert de Tosny.
    Ironstone.

    Wilby
    Wilebi: Countess Judith.

    Winwick
    Winewic(he): Coventry Abbey; William Peverel.
    Elizabethan manor house. Sir Thomas Malory, author of the Morte d'Arthur (1469-70), was Lord of Winwick Manor.

    Wittering
    Wit(h)eringham: Ansketel from Peterborough Abbey. Mills.
    Swamped by housing estates; RAF station; Saxon church.

    Wollaston
    Wilavestone: Gunfrid de Chocques; Countess Judith and Corbelin from her. 2 mills.
    Large; industrial.

    Woodford (near Denford)
    Wodeford: Ralph from Bishop of Coutances; Roger, Hugh and Siward from Peterborough Abbey. Mill.
    Rectory Farm, formerly the manor house. Generel Charles Arbuthnot and his diarist wife, friends of the Duke of Wellington, lived at Woodford House in the early 19th century.

    Woodford Halse
    Wodeford: Richard from Hugh de Grandmesnil. Mill.
    Transformed by the arrival of railway, now quiet again.

    Woodnewton
    Niwetone: Reginald from Eustace of Huntingdon. Mill.
    Pretty; limestone.

    Wootton
    Witone: Winemar from Walter the Fleming and Countess Judith.
    Dormitory.

    Wothorpe
    Wri(d)torp: Alwin from Peterborough Abbey; Crowland Abbey; Robert from Countess Judith. Mill.
    Towers, the remains of a small house built in the early 17th century for Thomas Cecil, son of Lord Burghley.

    Wythemail
    Widmale: Fulchere from Walter the Fleming.
    Wythemail Park Farm with part of a moat was perhaps the old manor house.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    Y

    Yardley Hastings
    Gerdelai: Countess Judith.
    Attractive; 14th century manor house; Ancient Yardley Chase to the south.

    Yelvertoft
    Celvrecot / Gelvrecote / Givertost: Count of Mortain; Earl Hugh.

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2017 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved