On a Roman road; possibly pre-Conquest church tower.
|Wachetuna / Waketune: Count Alan; Roger Bigot and Durand from him.|
Near the sea; holiday development.
|Wal(e)cheta / Walecota: Humphrey from Ranulf brother of Ilger. Church, mill, 4 beehives. 16 cattle.|
Elizabethan Wallington hall; church tower.
|Wal(l)inghetune: Hugh from Roger Bigot. Church.|
Now Walpole St Peter; cherry orchards; fenland; home of the Walpole family from Norman times to the 13th century.
|Walpola: John nephew of Waleran.|
Walsingham (in East Carleton) Lost.
Now Little Walsingham, a place of pilgrimage on the River Stiffkey, and Great Walsingham, a small market town, with a market place and 15th century Guildhall, now a museum.
|Galsingaham / Walsingaham / Walsingeham Magna: King's land; Reynald FitzIvo; Humphrey from Peter de Valognes. 7 mills, 7 beehives. 180 sheep.|
Part of Wisbech. Its name derives from the Roman sea wall.
|Walsocam: St. Benedict's of Ramsey before and after 1066. Fishery.|
Now 2 hamlets, Warham All Saints, Warham St. Mary with a magnificent fort, possibly built by the Iceni between 50 BC and AD 50.
|Guarham / Warham: King's land; Bishop of Bayeux; Ribald from Count Alan; Bishop William; Walter Giffard.|
|Wasingaford: Godric the steward. Mill.|
Roman road nearby.
|Waterdenna: Lambert from William de Warenne.|
Small town, once famous for its butter market; church with a Norman tower.
|Wadetuna: Ranulf FitzWalter from Roger Bigot, formerly Aldreda, a free woman. Mill, church. 13 cattle.|
Seaside; ancient hall, now a farmhouse.
|Wacstanest / Wacstenesham / Wactanesham: Count Alan; Roger Bigot; Abbot of Holme before and after 1066; Aelmer son of Godwin, a freeman of the king. 2 churches.|
Now 2 villages, Weasenham All Saints and St. Peter.
|Wesenham: King's land, in the custody of Godric; Wymer from Roger Bigot.|
Breckland; Devil's Dyke, a Saxon defence system; Grimes Graves, perhaps the most important group of flint mines in Britain; moated site of William de Warenne's castle.
|Wetinga / inge: King's land, in the charge of William de Noyers; William de Warenne and Wazelin and Osward from him. ½ fishery.|
|Walebruna: William de Warenne.|
|Wella: St. Stephen de Caen. 2 mills.|
|Walnccham: Ralph Baynard.|
Wells next the Sea
Picturesque seaside town.
|Etduuella / Gu(u)ella / Guelle: King's land, also in the custody of Godric; Ribald from Count Alan; Bishop William; Peter de Valognes; Aldith. 1½ mills.|
Site of a 12th century abbey.
|Wenlinga: Richard from St. Edmund's. Mill.|
Fenland; duck pond.
|Wigreham: Reynald FitzIvo. ½ mill, fishery. 28 mares, 25 foals, 260 sheep.|
|Benelai / Bilenei / Binelai: Hugh de Montfort. 3 mills, ½ salthouse. 200 pigs.|
|Wesbruge: Hermer de Ferrers. Church, mill. 13 cattle.|
Earthworks of Norfolk's only house of the Knights Hospitallers. It was founded in the mid-12th century by the de Clare family, whose memorial slabs are in the church.
|Weskerebroc: Osbert from John nephew of Waleran. Church.|
Church with a Norman tower; remains of an abbey, founded in 1198, at Abbey farm.
|Der(e)ham: William de Warenne; Hugh from Roger Bigot; St. Benedict's of Ramsey; Ralph Baynard and Lovel from him; Church, mill.|
|Westfelda: Phanceon from Count Alan. Mill.|
Part of the Sandringham Estate; houses built by Edward VII.
|Niuetuna: Bishop of Bayeux. 8 cobs, 2300 sheep, 16 cattle.|
The diarist James Woodforde was rector here for 29 years in the late 18th century; his portrait hangs in the church.
|Westuna: Bishop of Bayeux; Count Alan; William d'Écouis; Hagni. Church.|
Moated site; military training area.
|Stoffta: Richard and Eli from Bishop William.|
Fenland; orchards. One of Norfolk's finest Early English churches.
|Waltuna: Abbot of St. Peter and St. Paul, Cluny, from William de Warenne; Abbot of Ely before and after 1066; Oder from Ralph de Beaufour. ½ church, 38 salthouses, fishery. 1100 sheep.|
Church in the grounds of Georgian Westwick Hall.
|Westwic: Roger de Poitou.|
|Eswinic / Weswenic / winic: Godwin, the pre-Conquest holder, and Ranulf from Reynald FitzIvo. 2 salthouses.|
On the coast; Saxon church tower. The deeply shelving beach was heavily defended from 1588 to 1939, for 'He that would old England win / Must at Weybourne Hope begin.'
|Wabrune / brunna: Ranulf from Earl Hugh. 2 mills. 10 cattle, 36 goats.|
Church with a curious chequered flint and brick tower.
|Hwateaker / Wateaker: Ralph Baynard and a Frenchman and Geoffrey from him. 2 churches. 176 sheep.|
Now Whimpwell Green.
|Hwimpwella: Abbot of Holme before and after 1066.|
|Wineberga: Hermer de Ferrers. Church, 2 mills. 8 cattle, 60 goats.|
Ancient gravel pit, the source of rounded building flints. A celtic interlaced wheel cross was uncovered by the sexton in 1900.
|Witcingkeseta: Ranulf FitzWalter from Roger Bigot. 7 beehives. ¼ fishery.|
Ruined church; sewage works.
|Wisinlingaham / Wislingeham: King's land, in the custody of Godric; Robert from Roger Bigot, formerly Wulflet, a free woman. Church.|
Part of Reepham.
|Witewella: King's land; Reynald FitzIvo. 3 mills, ½ fishery.|
Part of Garboldisham.
|Wica: William de Warenne; Bishop Osbern; Hugh de Montfort. Mill.|
Church with a tomb dated 1280.
|Wichamtuna / Wichhamtun: King's land, in the custody of Godric.|
Remains of an ancient church.
|Wiclurde / Wicklepuda: William de Warenne; Ralph Sturmy from Ralph Baynard. Mill, 4 beehives.|
Early round-towered church with possible Saxon work.
|Wicmare / mera: King's land; Tihel de Hellean from Bishop of Bayeux; William de Warenne; Robert de Courson from Roger Bigot; Abbot of Holme before and after 1066.|
Now 4 villages: Wiggenhall St. Germans, St. Mary Magdalen (once famous for its eels), St. Peter and St. Mary the Virgin whose church has an eagle lectern given by Robert Barnard in 1518.
|Wignehala: Ralph Baynard. Fishery, ½ mill.|
On the River Stiffkey; Roman camp site nearby.
|Guistune / Wistune: King's land. 2 mills, 6½ sesters of honey.|
|Wilebey / Wilgeby / Willebeih: Roger Bigot; William d'Écouis; a soldier from Ralph Baynard. Church.|
Now Hockwold cum Wilton.
|Wiltuna: William de Warenne. 6 fisheries. 200 sheep.|
|Winebotesham: William de Warenne; St. Benedict's of Ramsey; Hermer de Ferrers.|
Famous for the Sword of Winfarthing, reputedly left by a thief who sheltered in the churchyard, and enshrined later in the church. It was said to help find lost objects, and lose unwanted husbands, although the sword itself was lost.
|Wineferthinc: King's land, in the custody of Godric. 2 horses at the hall.|
Also known as Winterton-on-Sea; church with a Fisherman's Corner.
|Wintretona / tuna: King's land, also in the custody of Godric; Aelward of Felbrigg from Roger Bigot; Bishop William; Abbot of Holme before and after 1066; Hugh from William d'Écouis; a freeman of the king. ½ salthouse.|
Witton (near North Walsham)
Now Witton Bridge; church with a Saxon quoin and round windows.
|Widituna / (Wi(t)tuna: King's land, in the custody of Godric; William de Warenne; Abbot of Holme. Church.|
Witton (near Norwich)
|Witona: King's land, in the custody of Godric; Bishop William; Ulfketel.|
Medieval bridge over the River Glaven; flint house built by John Gifford of Gloucester in 1653.
|Wiventona / Wivetuna: Reynald FitzIvo. 2 mills.|
Wolterton Hall, built by Horace Walpole, brother of Sir Robert, contains some fine Gobelins tapestries.
|Ultertuna / Ultretune: Thorold from William de Warenne; Abbot of Holme before and after 1066; Ralph de Beaufour. ½ church.|
|Bastu(u)ic: King's land, also in the custody of Godric; Abbot of Holme before and after 1066; Ralph de Beaufour.|
16th century hall.
|Dallinga: William de Warenne; Walter Giffard; Peter de Valognes.|
Ruined church, manor farm.
|Nortuna: Hugh from Bishop William; Reynald FitzIvo; Walter Giffard; Hagni. 1/3 church.|
Moated site; church with a barrel organ.
|Risinga: King's land; William de Warenne.|
Scattered; church with a Norman font.
|Uidetuna / Wdetuna / Wodetone / tuna: King's land, in the custody of Godric; Earl Hugh; Robert Malet and Walter from him; Roger Bigot; Eudo FitzSpirwic; Isaac. Church.|
Now South Wootton, a suburb of King's Lynn, and the village of North Wootton.
|Wdetuna: King's land, in the custody of Godric the steward.|
Farmland; ancient cross; motte and bailey castle remains.
|Wermegai: Hermer de Ferrers. Church, 3 fisheries, ¼ mill.|
Once a weaving centre, it gave its name to worsted cloth.
|Ordesteda / Urdestada / Wrdesteda: Count Alan; Abbot of Holme before and after 1066; Reynald FitzIvo. Mill. 16 pigs.|
|Waranpli(n)cham / Wranplincham: Count Alan; Ralph from Godric the steward. 1½ mills.|
|Urnincham: Roger Bigot; Wagen from Hermer de Ferrers. Church.|
Now 2 villages, East and West Wretham.
|Wer(e)tham / Wretham: Ralph de Tosny, formerly Harold. Mill. 21 pigs.|
Broadland holiday town. The church has a Norman doorway.
|Grossa(ha)m / Uroc(he)sham / Urocsham / Wrossham: King's land, in the custody of Godric; Abbot of Holme; Ralph de Beaufour. 2 churches.|