[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?
  • Norfolk S-T

    Click here for details Click here for details
    S

    Saham Toney
    Saham: King's land and Reynald FitzIvo and Berner the Crossbowman from the king; Robert from Roger Bigot. 8 cattle, 40 goats, 3 cows.
    Scattered; large mere.

    Sall
    Salla: King's land, in the custody of Godric; Oder from Ralph de Beaufour; Hagni; Ralph FitzHagni. ¾ mill.
    Salle Park, home of the Boleyn's. Anne Boleyn's ghost is said to walk in Bullen's Lane.

    Salthouse
    Sal(t)hus: William de Warenne; William d'Écouis. 40 goats.
    Threatened by the sea; Bronze Age barrows nearby.

    Sandringham
    Santdesincham: Ranulf from Robert FitzCorbucion. Salthouse.
    Royal Estate, bought by Queen Victoria for the Prince of Wales, later Edward VII, in 1861.

    Santon
    Santuna: William de Warenne; Walter.
    Now Santon Downham; woodland; local Forestry Commission headquarters.

    Saxlingham (near Holt)
    Saxeling(ha)ham / Sexelingaham: Bishop William; Peter de Valognes and Theodoric from him. Church.

    Saxlingham, Nethergate and Thorpe
    Sais / elingaham / selingham / Sasilingaham: King's land, in the custody of Godric; Walter from Robert Malet; Roger Bigot; John nephew of Waleran and Edric from Abbot of Holme; Walter Giffard; Drogo de Beuvriére and Aelward and Wulfnoth from him; Gunfrid from Robert FitzCorbucion; John nephew of Waleran, formerly Stergar, King Edward's Guard. 2 mills, church.
    Now the village of Saxlingham Nethergate with rare 13th century glass in its church, and Saxlingham Thorpe, a hamlet with a ruined church.

    Saxthorpe
    Sastorp / Saxiorp / Saxthorpe: King's land, in the custody of Godric; Count Alan and Ribald from him. 2½ mills. 50 goats, 20 cattle, 4 cobs.

    Scarning
    Scernenga / Sc(h)er / ninga: William de Warenne and Wymer from him; Ralph Baynard. Mill.

    Sco
    Esco(u): Bishop William.
    Absorbed in Martham.

    Sco Ruston
    Ristuna: William de Warenne; Abbot of Holme; Roger de Poitou.
    Its ancient White Hart Inn, 1655, was the most important coaching inn between Ipswich and Norwich.

    Scottow
    Scothou / Scotch(o)u: King's land, in the custody of Godric; Count Alan; Abbot of Holme before and after 1066; Ralph de Beaufour; Roger and Wihenoc from Reynald FitzIvo. Church, fishery, 1 1/3 mills, 3 beehives.

    Scratby
    Scroteby / Scroutebei / bey: Bishop William; Abbot of Holme before and after 1066. Church.
    Seaside resort town.

    Sculthorpe
    Sculatorpa / Sculetorpa: Count Alan. 20 cattle, 6 cobs, 400 sheep.
    Manor farm; Scuthorpe Fen and Moor.

    Sedgeford
    Secesforda / Sexforda: Bishop William. 300 sheep.

    Seething
    Silinga / Sithinga / inges: King's land, in the charge of William de Noyers; Earl Hugh; Roger Bigot; Isaac (4 acres claimed by a poor nun). 3 churches. Horse at the hall.
    Church with a Norman tower.

    Semere
    Semera / ere: Robert Malet; St. Edmund's before and after 1066, and Fulcher from it.
    Now Semere Green.

    Sharrington
    Scarnetuna / Scartune: King's land.
    A late medieval hall; restored cross.

    Shelfanger
    Scelnangra / Scelua(n)gra(ua): King's land, in the custody of Godric; Hervey and Modgifu, a free woman, from Count Alan; St. Edmund's; Edric the falconer. Church.
    Moated sites nearby; church with 13th century frescoes.

    Shelton
    Sceltuna: Roger Bigot and Durand and Wacton from him; Nigel from Robert FitzCorbucion. Church.
    Scattered; fine Perpendicular church.

    Shereford
    Sciraforda: William de Warenne. Church.
    Church with a Saxon tower and arch.

    Sheringham
    Silingeham: William d'Écouis. Church. 50 goats, 15 pigs.
    Popular seaside resort. Railway.

    Shernborne
    Scernebruna / brune / buna / Serlebruna: Bishop of Bayeux; William de Warenne; Ivo Tailbois; Berner the Crossbowman. 2 mills, ½ salthouse.
    On the Sandringham estate.

    Shimpling
    Simplinga(ham): King's land, in the custody of Godric; Robert Malet; Robert de Vaux from Roger Bigot; St. Edmund's and Fulcher from the Abbey. Church.
    Church with a Norman tower; ancient moated house.

    Shingham
    Scingham: Ralph de Tosny.
    In the fenlands; tumuli nearby.

    Shipden
    Scepedane / Scipedana:
    Lost.

    Shipdham
    Scipdham / Scipedeham / Scip(p)edana: King's land, in the custody of Godric; William de Warenne; Adelhelm from Hermer de Ferrers. ½ church.
    Church with some Norman work, and a room over the porch which was once a library.

    Shotesham Altera
    Scotessam / Scotesham / Scotessa(m): King's land, in the custody of Godric; Bishop of Bayeux; St. Edmund's and Berenger from the Abbey; Ulfketel from Robert Malet; Ranulf FitzWalter from Roger Bigot; Abbot of Holme before and after 1066; Walter Giffard. 1¾ churches, 1½ mills. 2 horses.
    Now 2 villages, Shotesham All Saints and Shotesham St. Mary.

    Shotford
    Scotoford: Robert Malet and Humphrey from him; Roger de Poitou.
    Now Shotford Heath; Shotford Hall.

    Shouldham (Alia)
    Sculdeham / Scuddeham: Ranulf from Reynald FitzIvo; Ralph Baynard. ¾ mill, 1½ fisheries, salthouse.
    Fenland; recent excavations suggest it has been inhabited for c.2000 years.

    Shouldham Thorpe
    Carboistorp: Reynald FitzIvo; Ralph Baynard. ½ church.
    Orchards; church with a Norman doorway.

    Shropham
    Scer(e)pham / Serpham: Richard Vernon from Earl Hugh; Roger Bigot; Roland from Eudo the steward; Gilbert the Crossbowman. 3 beehives.

    Sidestrand
    Sistran: William de Warenne.
    On the clifftop. The church was moved in 1880 because the sea came dangerously close.

    Sisland
    Sislanda: King's land, in the custody of Godric. 3 oxen.
    Straggling.

    Skeyton
    Scedgetuna / Scengutuna: Ralph de Beaufour; Geoffrey Baynard from Ralph Baynard. Mill. 4 cobs, 37 goats.
    12th century church with an assymetric tower.

    Sloley
    S(l)aleia: Abbot of Holme; Ralph de Beaufour; Reynald FitzIvo. Church.

    Smallburgh
    Smal(e)berga: Roger Bigot; freeman from Abbot of Holme before and after 1066.
    In an ancient custom, the Lord of the Manor gave 'annually on Lammas Day, 24 eels to 6 pensioners of Smallburgh'.

    Snetterton
    Snetretuna: Earl Hugh; Ralph FitzHerlwin from Roger Bigot. 2 beehives.
    Race course.

    Snettisham
    Netesham / Sne(te)sham: Bishop of Bayeux; William de Warenne. 7 mills, 1 2/3 salthouses, 3 fisheries. 440 sheep.
    Small town near the coast; Perpendicular church on which the Cathedral of Frederiction, New Brunswick, Canada, is modelled.

    Snore
    Snora: St. Benedict's of Ramsey.
    Ruins of 'Snowre Hall'. The village disappeared before the 14th century.

    Somerton
    Somertuna: King's land, in the charge of William de Noyers; Wymark from Count Alan; Roger Bigot; Bishop William. 3 salthouses, 2 beehives. 3 cobs at the hall, 200 sheep.
    Now 2 villages, East Somerton, with the remains of a church, and West Somerton where Robert Hales, the Norfolk Giant, 7ft 8in. tall, is buried (1863).

    South Acre
    Acra: King's land, in the custody of Godric; Wymer from William de Warenne; Godric the steward. 2½ mills.
    Next to Castle Acre.

    Southburgh
    Berc(h) / Burc: William de Warenne. Church, 3 mills.
    Scattered.

    South Burlingham
    Berlingaham / Sutberlingeham: William de Noyers from Bishop William, formerly part held by Edric, steersman of King Edward's ship who became an outlaw in Denmark. ½ church.
    Broadland; church with a Norman doorway.

    Southery
    Sutreia: St. Edmund's. Fishery. 4 cobs, 31 cattle, 11 wild mares.
    Fenland; potato-growing area.

    Southmere
    Sutmere:
    Lost.

    South Raynham
    Sutreinaham / Sutrein(e)ham: Roger Bigot; Hugh de Montfort. Mill.
    Mill Covert wood.

    South Walsham
    Walassam / Wales(h)am / Wal(es)sam: King's land, in the custody of Godric, formerly Alflaed a free woman; Bishop William; Ralph from Godric the steward; Abbot of Holme before and after 1066. 3 salthouses. 200 sheep.
    Wooded; broadland.

    Southwood
    Sudw(a)da / Suthuide / Sutwde: Godric the steward; Hugh from William d'Écouis; Ralph Baynard and Wimund from him.
    Broadland.

    Sparham
    Sparham: Godric the steward; Osbert from Robert Gernon; Hagni. Mill, a church. 10 beehives.
    Remains of the Manor House of the de Stiffkey family.

    Spixworth
    S(l)aleia: Abbot of Holme; Ralph de Beaufour; Reynald FitzIvo. Church.

    Sporle
    Esparlai / le(a) / Sparle(a): King's land, in the custody of Godric. Mill.

    Sprowston
    Spro(wes)tuna: King's land, in the custody of Godric, also in the charge William de Noyers; Robert Malet.
    Suburb of Norwich.

    Stalham
    Stalham / Stanham: Count Alan; Abbot of Holme before and after 1066; Aelmer FitzGodwin, a freeman of the king.
    Broadland market town; 14th century inn.

    Stanfield
    Stanfelda / Stanuelda: Son of Aelmer from Count Alan; William de Warenne.
    Scattered; moated site.

    Stanford
    Estanforda / Stanfora: Roger Bigot; Bishop William; Ralph from Reynald FitzIvo; Hugh de Montfort; Roger FitzRainard. 1½ mills. 12 cattle, 4 score sheep.
    Scattered; lake.

    Stanhoe
    Stanho(u): King's land; Bishop of Bayeux; William de Warenne.
    Remains of a Saxon flint factory nearby.

    Stanninghall
    Staningehalla: King's land, in the charge of William de Noyers. 2 mills.
    Stanninghall Farm.

    Starston
    Sterestuna: King's land, in the custody of Godric, also in the charge of William de Noyers; Godwin from Roger Bigot; St. Edmund's and Roger Bigot from it, formerly Beorhtflaed a free woman; Gunfrid from Robert FitzCorbucion; Warenger from Roger de Raismes.
    In a wooded river valley.

    Stibbard
    Estanbyrda / Stabrige / Stabyrda: King's land; Peter de Valognes from William de Warenne.

    Stiffkey
    Stinekai / Stiuecai / Stiuekeia: King's land, also in the custody of Godric; Ranulf from Reynald FitzIvo. Church, 3 mills. 4 horses.
    Iron Age tumulus; salt marshes, noted for their cockles. Its controversial rector, the Rev. Harold Davidson, worked among 'fallen women' and actresses, in the 1920s and 30s and was killed by a fairground lion.

    Stinton
    Stonetuna: Randolf from William de Warenne. Church, mill, 3 beehives. 20 cattle.
    Stinton Hall Farm.

    Stockton
    Stoutuna: King's land, in the charge of William de Noyers. Church, 1½ mills.
    Church with a Norman tower.

    Stody
    Estodeia / Stodeia: King's land; Humphrey from Ranulf brother of Ilger. 3 mills, 3 beehives. 60 goats.

    Stoke Ferry
    Stoches / Stokes: Ribald from Count Alan; Reynald FitzIvo; Ralph Baynard. 1¼ churches, fishery.
    Fenland.

    Stoke Holy Cross
    Stoches / Stoke(s): King's land, in the custody of Godric; Roger Bigot and William Petch from him; Walter Giffard; Giffard from Robert FitzCorbucion; Tovi. 1½ churches, 2 mills. Beehive.
    Large weatherboarded mill in the watermeadows, once owned by Jeremiah Colman (1777-1851), founder of the mustard firm.

    Stokesby
    Stoches / Stokesbei / bey: William d'Écouis. Church, 2 salthouses. 180 sheep.
    Remote; broadland; on the River Bure.

    Stow Bardolph
    Stou: Hermer de Ferrers. Church, fishery. 26 wild mares, 160 sheep.
    Fenland.

    Stow Bedon
    Sto(n)u / Stuo: King's land, in the custody of Godric. Mill.
    Fine mere.

    Stradsett
    Stra(te)seta: Roger Bigot; Fulbert from Hermer de Ferrers. 2 churches, ½ fishery.
    Scattered; tumulus nearby; Elizabethan hall.

    Stratton
    Stratuna / Stretuna: Count Alan; Roger Bigot; Bishop William and Walter the Deacon from him; St. Edmund's; Abbot of Ely; Humphrey from Robert FitzCorbucion. 1½ mills.
    Now 2 villages, Stratton St. Michael and Long Stratton which is built along the Roman road from Colchester to Caistor.

    Stratton Strawless
    Estratuna / Stratuna: King's land; Bishop William; Walter Giffard; Roger de Poitou.
    The Marsham family were lords of the manor from 1556 to 1900.

    Strumpshaw
    Stromessaga: Ralph the Constable from the king, in the custody of Godric.
    Broadland. Part of Strumpshaw Fen is a bird sanctuary.

    Sturston
    Esterestuna / Steirtuna:
    Lost.

    Suffield
    Sudfelda / Sutfelle: Ribald from Count Alan; Roger Bigot. 4 mills.
    Scattered.

    Surlingham
    S(c)utherlingham / Suterlingeham: King's land, in the custody of Godric; Roger Bigot; William de Noyers from Bishop William.
    Near the marshes on the River Yare; ferry to Postwick.

    Sustead
    Surstede / Sutstede: William de Warenne; Roger Bigot. 1½ mills.
    Near the coast.

    Sutton (near Mileham)
    Suttuna:
    Lost.

    Sutton (near Stalham)
    Suttuna / tune: Roger Bigot. Church, ½ salthouse. 7 wild mares, 22 cattle, 200 sheep.
    Broadland.

    Swaffham
    Suafham: Count Alan. 1½ mills, fishery. 200 sheep.
    One of Norfolk's market towns, a social centre with a racecourse and Assembly Rooms during the 18th and 19th centuries.

    Swafiled
    Sua(f)felda / Suauelda: Bishop William; William d'Écouis; Ranulf brother of Ilger. Church.
    Thatched church.

    Swainsthorpe
    Sueinestorp / Torp: Roger Bigot; Godric the steward; Eudo the steward; Tovi. Church, ½ mill.
    Church with a Norman tower.

    Swannington
    Sueningatuna: Count Alan and Ansketel from him; Walter Giffard.
    Hall; moated site.

    Swanton (in Forncett)
    T(u)anatuna / Tuane(s)tuna: Count Alan; Roger Bigot and William and Walter from him. Church, mill.
    Area near the villages of Forncett St. Mary and St. Peter.

    Swanton Abbot
    Suanetuna: Abbot of Holme before and after 1066. Church.

    Swanton Morley
    Suanetua: Ralph de Beaufour. Church. 3 mills, fishery. 48 pigs.
    On the River Wensum; a weir; a Mill House; Abraham Lincoln's ancestors are in the parish register.

    Swanton Novers
    Suanetuna: Bishop William. 200 sheep.
    Woodland; famous for its lilies-of-the-valley.

    Swardeston
    Suedestuna / Suerdest(una): Roger Bigot; Godric the steward; Richard from Ralph de Beaufour. Church.
    Attractive green; church with Norman windows; birthplace of Edith Cavell (1865-1915).

    Swathing
    Suatinga: King's land, in the custody of Godric. 2 mills.
    Many moated sites.

    Syderstone
    Cidesterna / Sci(de)sterne: Alfheah, the pre-Conquest holder, from Count Alan; William de Warenne and Ralph from him.
    Brick and flint houses; common.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    T

    Tacolneston
    Tacoluestuna: King's land, in the charge of William de Noyers; Roger Bigot. Mill.
    Jacobean hall; moated site.

    Tasburgh
    Taseburc(h): Count Alan; Roger Bigot and Berard and Azelin from him; Bishop Osbern; Roger d'Evreux from William d'Écouis.
    Iron age hill fort nearby; church with a Saxon tower and arcading.

    Tatterford
    Taterforda: Humphrey de Bohun. 2 mills.

    Tattersett
    Tatessete: William de Warenne and Rainer from him. 2 churches, 2 mills.
    Church painting depicting a saint's bowels being drawn out by a windlass.

    Taverham
    Taverham / Tavresham: Walter Giffard from the king; Haimer from Count Alan; William de Warenne; Bishop William, formerly a free woman; St. Michael of Norwich before and after 1066; Richard from Ralph de Beaufour.
    Suburb of Norwich.

    Terrington
    Tilinghetuna: Hermer de Ferrers; Geoffrey from Ralph Baynard. 12½ salthouses. 515 sheep.
    Now 2 fenland villages, Terrington St. Clement and St. John, in a rich fruit-farming area.

    Testerton
    Estretona: Richard from Peter de Valognes.
    Georgian Testerton Hall.

    Tharston
    Ster(e)stuna / Therstuna: Roger Bigot and Robert de Vaux from him; Nigel from Robert FitzCorbucion. Church, 3 mills. Beehive.
    A grove of ancient oaks.

    Thelveton
    Telve(n)tuna / Telvetaham: Hubert and Walter from Robert Malet; Abbot of Ely before and after 1066; Berner the Crossbowman. Beehive. Horse at the hall. 8 cattle.
    On a Roman road; Elizabethan hall.

    Thompson
    Tomestuna / Tumesteda: William de Warenne; Roger Bigot; Berner the Crossbowman.
    Near Thompson Water and the Roman Peddars Way. A collegiate church founded here in 1349, and the remains of the priests college can be seen in College Farm nearby.

    Thornage
    Tornedis: Bishop William. Church, 3 mills.
    Mill Farm on the River Glaven; church with Saxon work.

    Thornham
    Tornham: Bishop William. Mill. 500 sheep.
    Remains of an early fort (AD 40-60). A famous woman blacksmith, Mrs Ames Lyd, worked here until 1914.

    Thorpe (in Shipdham)
    Torp: Abbot of Ely before and after 1066. Mill. 38 goats, 600 pigs.
    Now Thorpe Row.

    Thorpe Abbots
    T(h)orp: King's land, in the charge of William de Noyers; St. Edmund's before and after 1066.
    Green.

    Thorpe Market
    Torp: William de Warenne and Ralph from him; Osbert from Robert Gernon. 2 churches, 2 mills.

    Thorpe Parva
    Torp: Hubert from Robert Malet.
    Thorpe Parva Hall on the outskirts of Scole; moated site.

    Thorpe St. Andrew
    T(h)orp: King's land, also in the charge of William de Noyers. 36 goats.
    Riverside suburb of Norwich.

    Thorpland (near Downham Market)
    Torp / Torpelanda: Bordin from Hermer de Ferrers; St. Edmund's. Church.
    Fenland.

    Thorpland (in Fakenham)
    Torpaland: King's land.
    Tudor Thorpeland Hall; Thorpland Lodge Farm.

    Threxton
    Tre(c)stuna: Hugh from William de Warenne; Ranulf from Reynald FitzIvo.
    Church, in a farmyard, with a Saxon nave and a Norman tower.

    Thrigby
    Trikebei / Trukebei: Ralph the Constable from the king, in the custody of Godric; Roger Bigot; Bishop William; Hugh from William d'Écouis. ½ salthouse.
    Broadland; a hall with William III gardens.

    Thurgarton
    Turgaitune / Turgartuna: Roger Bigot; Abbot of Holme before and after 1066. Mill.

    Thurlton
    T(h)uruertuna: King's land, in the charge of William de Noyers; Count Alan; Robert from Roger Bigot; Oder from William d'Écouis; Ralph Baynard; freeman of the king. ½ church.
    Broadland; church with a Norman doorway.

    Thurne
    Terna / Thura: Roger Bigot; Abbot of Holme before and after 1066.
    Broadland.

    Thurning
    Tim / Turn / Tyrninga: King's land, in the custody of Godric; William de Warenne; Bishop William; Ralph FitzHagni.
    Church with an unrestored Georgian interior.

    Thursford
    Tureforde / Turesfort: King's land, in the custody of Godric. Mill.
    Museum.

    Thurton (in Witchingham)
    Tortuna:
    Lost.

    Thurton (near Loddon)
    Tortuna / Turmentuna: Roger Bigot and Robert de Vaux; Godric the steward from Abbot of Ely; John nephew of Waleran.
    Church with some medieval glass.

    Thuxton
    Thu(r)stuna / Toruestuna / Turestuna / Turs(tanes)tuna: King's land, in the custody of Godric; William de Warenne.

    Thwaite (near Erpingham)
    Tuit: Abbot of Holme before and after 1066. Church, 1½ mills.
    Common; tablet to Jacob Mountain (b.1749), the first Anglican Bishop of Quebec.

    Tipenham
    Tib(en)ham / Tipham / Tybenham: Count Alan; Roger Bigot; Richard from St. Edmund's who held before and after 1066; Eudo FitzSpirwic. 40 goats.

    Titchwell
    Flicesuuella / Tigeswella / Tigeuuelle: King's land; Roger Bigot; St. Benedict's of Ramsey and William de Noyers from him. Mill. 260 sheep.
    Manor Farm, wayside cross.

    Tittleshall
    Titeshala: Wymer from William de Warenne; Ralph Sturmy from Ralph Baynard. Church, mill, 4 beehives, fishery. 73 goats, 19 pigs, 14 cattle, 5 cobs.
    Remains of Godwick Hall, the home of Sir Edward Coke, a 17th century Lord Chief Justice, nearby. Church has fine monuments to the Coke family.

    Tivetshall
    Teveteshala / Teve / Tivetessala / Totessalla: King's land, in the custody of Godric; Reynald de Pierrepont from Bishop William; St. Edmund's before and after 1066. Abbot of Ely. 2 churches.
    Now 2 villages, Tivetshall St. Margaret, with an Elizabeth I coat-of-arms in the church, and Tiverton St. Mary, with a ruined church.

    Toft Monks
    Stoftes / Toft(es): King's land, in the charge of William de Noyers; Ralph de Beaufour.
    Scattered; moated sites nearby.

    Toftrees
    Toffas / To(f)tes: William de Warenne; Peter de Valognes. Church. 12 wild mares.
    Church with a Norman font.

    Toombers
    Toimere: Reynald FitzIvo.
    Toombers Wood.

    Topcroft
    Topecroft / cropt: Eudo FitzSpirwic; Berenger from St. Edmund's.
    Moated sites nearby.

    Totenhill
    Tottenhalla: Ralph Baynard.
    Manor farm; lakes.

    Tottington
    Totintuna: Ralph FitzHerlwin from Roger Bigot; Warenger from Roger de Raismes. 15 mares.
    Breckland; moated site.

    Trowse
    Treus(se): King's land, in the custody of Godric; Roger Bigot. Mill.
    Now Trowse Newton; mill; early ring ditch.

    Trunch
    Tru(h)chet: William de Warenne. Church.
    Manor house; perpendicular church where Horatia, daughter of Lord Nelson and Lady Hamilton, was married.

    Tunstall
    Tunestalla / stalle: Thorold from Ralph de Beaufour; Eudo the steward; Robert de Verly; Gilbert the Crossbowman. Church, salthouse. 240 sheep.
    Remote; broadland; manor house.

    Tunstead
    Tunesteda: Roger de Poitou.
    Scattered; once a thriving weaving centre.

    Tuttington
    Tatituna / Tutincghetuna: William de Warenne; Abbot of Holme before and after 1066. Mill.
    Tumulus nearby.

    Tyby
    Tytheby:
    Lost.

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2017 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved