[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?
  • Norfolk M-R

    Click here for details Click here for details
    M

    Mangreen
    Mangrena: Roger Bigot.
    Mangreen Hall; Hall Farm; cottages near Norwich.

    Mannington
    Mani(n)ctuna: King's land, in the custody of Godric; William de Warenne. 2 mills. 40 goats.
    18th century Mannington Hall, part restored by the author Horatio Walpole.

    Manson
    Mantatestuna: King's land, in the custody of Godric the steward.
    Now Manson Green.

    Marham
    Mar(e)ham / Marsam: Ralph from William de Warenne; Hermer de Ferrers; Abbot of Ely before and after 1066; Hugh de Montfort. Mill. 4 cobs, 6 cows, 300 sheep.
    Formerly Cherry Marham because of its many cherry trees.

    Markshall
    Markeshalla / Merkeshala / essal(l)e: Ralph de Beaufour. Church, 2½ mills.

    Marlingford
    Marthingheforda / Merlingeforda: Count Alan.
    Scattered; church with an hour glass for timing sermons.

    Marsham
    Marsham: King's land, formerly Harold; Bishop William. 6 beehives.
    Titus Oates' father was rector here in the early 17th century.

    Martham
    Marcham / Martham: King's land, also in the custody of Godric; Count Alan; Bishop William; Abbot of Holme. 2 churches, 2 salthouses.
    Broadland. In its huge church, a inscription (1730), by Christopher Burraway, the illegitimate child of an incestuous union, to his wife Alice reads, 'in this life my sister, my mistress, my mother and my wife'.

    Massingham
    Marsincham / Marsingharc / Masincham / Masing(h)eham / icham: King's land, formerly Harold; Guy d'Anjou from Count Eustace; William de Warenne, formerly Alflaed, a free woman; Ralph FitzHerlwin from William d'Écouis; Roger Bigot; Ralph from Reynald FitzIvo; Berold from Eudo FitzSpirwic. ¼ salthouse. 260 sheep.
    Now 2 villages, Great Massingham, with a pond and green, and Little Massingham.

    Matlask
    Matelasc / lesc / Matingeles: King's land, also in the custody of Godric the steward; Count Alan and Ribald from him.

    Mattishall
    Mateshala: William de Warenne; Abbot of Ely; Ralph de Beaufour.
    Small market town. The church's 18th century barrel organ is still in use.

    Mautby
    Maltebei / bey / by: King's land, in the custody of Godric; Hugh from William d'Écouis. 18½ salthouses, ½ mill.

    Mayton
    Maidestuna: Albert from Roger de Poitou. Mill.
    Mayton Hall; moated site.

    Melton Constable
    Maeltuna: Roger Longsword, Ansketel the Reeve and Roger from Bishop William. Church. 8 cattle.
    Church with a Norman tower and possible Reubens triptych; Hall and park which was enclosed by one of the earliest charters in England, c.1290.

    Mendham
    Men(da)ham: William de Noyers; Bishop William; Frodo from St. Edmund's.
    Birthplace of artist, Sir Alfred Munnings (1878-1959), son of John, the miller.

    Merton
    Meretuna: Ralph Baynard. 24 pigs.
    Church with a Saxon wall and north tower; hall. Edward FitzGerald, translator of The Rubaiyat of Mar Khayyam, died here (1883).

    Methwold
    Matelwalde / Methelwalde: King's land, in the charge of William de Noyers; William de Warenne and Simon and Walter from him. 2½ mills, 7 fisheries, 27 beehives. 800 sheep, 12 cattle.
    Bordering the fenlands. The 14th century peasant rising started at Methwold Hythe, a nearby hamlet.

    Metton
    Hametuna / Metune: Roger Bigot. Mill.
    Moated site.

    Middleton (in Forncett)
    Mildeltuna:
    Lost.

    Middleton (near King's Lynn)
    Mid(d)eltuna / Mildetuna: Ribald from Count Alan; Richard from St. Edmund's; William d'Écouis; Aethelwold from Hugh de Montfort. 2 mills, 18 salthouses, 2 fisheries.
    Middleton Tower, a moated brick house with a gate tower.

    Mileham
    Mele(ha)m / Milham / Mulcham / Mul(e)ham / Mullam: King's land, in the custody of Godric, and a widow from the King, also in the charge of William de Noyers; Count Alan; Bishop William. 2 mills, salthouse, woodland for 1140 pigs.
    Straggling; remains of Mileham Castle nearby; church with 14th century glass.

    Mintlyn
    Meltinga: Bishop William.
    Mintlyn Wood.

    Moor
    Mora:
    Lost.

    Morley St. Botolph
    Morlea: William de Warenne; Hugh from Ralph de Beaufour.

    Morningthorpe
    Maringatorp / Torp: Count Alan; St. Edmund's and Robert de Vaux from it. Church, mill.
    Scattered; church with a Saxon tower and arch, and a 6th-7th century cemetery.

    Morston
    Marstuna / Merstona: King's land, also in the custody of Godric; Thorold from Roger Bigot.
    Marshland; tumuli nearby.

    Mortoft
    Mortofst:
    Lost.

    Moulton St. Mary
    Modetuna / Mothetuna: King's land, also in the custody of Godric.
    Several moated sites.

    Mulbarton
    Molkeber(tes)tuna: Roger Bigot, formerly a free woman; Richard from Ralph de Beaufour.
    One of Norfolk's biggest greens.

    Mundesley
    Muleslai: William de Warenne. Church.
    Small seaside town.

    Mundford
    Mondefort / Mundeforda: William de Warenne; Roger Bigot; Abbot of Ely. ½ mill.

    Mundham
    Mundaham / Mundhala: King's land, in the custody of Godric; also in the charge of William de Noyers; Thorold, Ulfketel and Robert de Vaux from Roger Bigot; Jocelyn from St. Edmund's; Nigel and Ansger from Robert FitzCorbucion; Isaac; Roger FitzRainard; Ralph FitzHagni. ½ church. Horse at the hall.
    Scattered; one ruined church and another with a Norman doorway.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    N

    Narborough
    Nereburh: Roger Bigot. 3 mills.
    Ancient settlement nearby; Tudor manor.

    Narford
    Nereforda: Phanceon from Count Alan. 1½ mills, 5 beehives, fishery.
    Narford Hall; cottages; saw mill.

    Nayland
    Eilanda / Neilanda:
    Lost.

    Neatishead
    Snateshirda: Abbot of Holme before and after 1066. 100 pigs.
    Broadland; by a nature reserve.

    Necton
    Ketuna / Noche / Naketune / Neche / Neketuna: Ralph de Tosny, formerly Harold. Church, mill, salthouse. 19 cattle.
    Church with a carved, painted roof.

    Ness
    Nessa:
    Lost.

    Newton (near Castle Acre)
    Nieutuna: King's land, in the custody of Godric; Odo from Ivo Tailbois. 2 mills, ½ salthouse.
    Church with Saxon work including a tower.

    Newton (near Norwich)
    Newtona: King's land, in the custody of Godric, formerly a free woman.
    Part of Norwich.

    Newton Flotman
    Niwe(s)tuna: Roger Bigot; Tovi. Mill.
    Medieval bridge.

    North Barningham
    Berni(n)geham: Thorold, from William de Warenne; Roger Bigot and Osferth from him; William de Noyers from Bishop William; Walter Giffard; Drogo de Beuvrière.
    17th century hall.

    North Barsham
    Norbarsam: William de Warenne.

    North Burlingham
    Berlingaham / ingheham / Berlungeham: King's land, in the custody of Godric; William de Noyers and Eli from Bishop William. William d'Écouis and Hugh from him. 2 churches, ½ salthouse.
    2 churches, one a ruin.

    North Elmham
    Elmenham: Bishop William. 4 mills. 300 sheep.
    Vineyards. The village was the seat of a Bishopric founded in 673, and there are traces of a Saxon cathedral and bishop's castle behind the present church.

    North Runcton
    Runghetuna / Rynghetona: Hermer de Ferrers; William d'Écouis. Church, 1½ mills.
    Suburb of King's Lynn.

    North Tuddenham
    Dodenham / Nordtudenham / Todden(c)ham / Totdenham / Toteham: Abbot of Ely; Richard from Ralph de Beaufour; Starculf. 3 mills, 2 churches.
    Scattered; church with a red-tiled interior and stencilled decorations done by the rector in the late 19th century.

    North Walsham
    Walsam: William de Warenne; Abbot of Holme before and after 1066. Church, 2 mills. 16 pigs.
    Small market town, with Norfolk's second largest church and a Saxon tower.

    Northwold
    Northwalde / Norfwalde: William de Warenne; William de Warenne from Abbot of Ely who held before and after 1066. Church, 2 mills, 2 fisheries. 11 cattle.
    Some chalk-built cottages; church with an Easter Sepulchre.

    Norton Subcourse
    Norfen / Nortuna: Roger Bigot; Godric the steward and Abbot of Holme from him; St. Edmund's and Jocelyn from it; Ralph de Beaufour; Ralph Baynard; Robert Gernon; Jocelyn of Norwich, a freeman of the king.
    Broadland.

    Norwich
    Noruic / Norwic: King's land; Earl Ralph; Reynold FitzIvo; approximately 665 burgesses, 41 French burgesses. 2100 sheep. 1 goshawk.
    Leading provincial city since the 11th century, with a Norman castle and a cathedral which was founded in 1096 by the first Bishop of Norwich.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    O

    Oby
    Houby Oebei / Orbi / Othebe: Roger Bigot and Stanard from him; Abbot of Holme before and after 1066. 3 cobs.
    Oby Mill; South Oby Dyke by the ivers Bure and Acle.

    Ormesby
    Orbeslei / Ormesbei / bey / by / Osmesbei: King's land; Roger Bigot; Richard FitzAlan from Bishop William.
    Now 2 villages, Ormesby St. Margaret, home of some of the Pilgrim Fathers, and Ormesby St. Michael.

    Osmondiston
    Osmundestuna: Roger de Bigot and Hugh de Corbon from him; Ralph de Fougères, formerly Harold. Horse at the hall.
    Now Scole, once an important staging post between Norwich and Ipswich; Roman road; Roman station remains, gabled coaching inn (c.1655).

    Ottering Hithe
    Otringheia / Otrinkeehia:
    Lost.

    Oulton
    Oulstuna: King's land and Abbot of Holme from the king.

    Outwell
    Utwella / Wtwella: William de Warenne; St. Benedict's of Ramsey.
    Fenland.

    Overstrand
    Othestranda: Berner the Crossbowman. Mill.
    Seaside resort.

    Oxborough
    Oxenbur(c)h: Godric the steward; Ralph de Limésy. 2 mills, fishery. 180 sheep.
    Fenland. Oxburgh Hall, a fine 15th century moated mansion is still occupied by its founders, the Bedingfield family.

    Oxnead
    Oxenedes: Godwin Haldane. Mill, church, 6 beehives.

    Oxwick
    Ossuic: Reynald FitzIvo from Abbot of Ely who held before and after 1066.
    Moated site.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    P

    Palgrave
    Pag(g)rava: King's land, in the custody of Godric; Count Alan; St. Riquier from William de Warenne.
    Palgrave Hall; some isolated houses.

    Palling
    Pal(l)inga: King's land, in the custody of Godric; Count Alan, annexed by Edric; Roger Bigot and Hugh de Houdain from him. 14 wild mares.
    Now Sea Palling, a seaside resort.

    Panworth
    Pennewrde: Reynald FitzIvo, formerly Harold.
    Panworth Hall.

    Panxworth
    Pancforda / Pankesford(a): King's land, in the custody of Godric; Count Alan and Ralph the Constable from him; Hugh from William d'Écouis. Church.
    Broadland.

    Paston
    Pastuna: Thorold from William de Warenne; Wiliam d'Écouis; Abbot of Ely before and after 1066. Church, mill.

    Pattesley
    Patesleia: Roger from Peter de Valognes. ½ fishery.
    Pattesley House.

    Pensthorpe
    Penestorpa: Ranulf from Reynald FitzIvo. Mill, 4 beehives. 60 pigs, 240 sheep.
    Part of Fakenham; common, with destroyed Bronze Age barrows.

    Pentney
    Penteleia: Robert de Vaux from Roger Bigot. 3 mills, 7 beehives, ½ salthouse.
    Scattered. A cross marks the way to the flint gatehouse and 12th century Augustinian priory ruins.

    Pickenham (Altera)
    Pichenham / Pickeham / Pickenha(m) / Pinkenham: King's land and the reeve of the Hundred through the King's Sheriffs, in the custody of Godric; Ribald from Count Alan; William de Warenne; Reynald FitzIvo; Ralph de Tosny; Berner the Crossbowman. 5 mills, fishery, church.
    Now 2 villages, North Pickenham, with a manor farm and traces of a Roman road, and South Pickenham with a round-towered church.

    Pirnhow
    Pirenhou: King's land, in the custody of Godric. Mill. 2 horses at the hall.
    Roman road; mill house.

    Plumstead (near Holt)
    Plumestede: Thorold from William de Warenne.

    Plumstead
    Plum(m)esteda / stede: King's land, in the custody of Godric; Bishop William and Roger Blunt from him; Hugh from William d'Écouis; Ralph de Beaufour; Ralph the Crossbowman.
    Now 2 villages, Great and Little Plumstead.

    Poringland
    Porri(n)kelanda / Porring / alanda / helanda / elanda: King's land, in the custody of Godric; Bishop of Bayeux; Roger Bigot; Godric the steward; Brooke from St. Edmund's. Church.
    New housing estates; aisleless church with a Norman tower.

    Postwick
    Possuic: Eudo the steward. Mill, church.

    Potter Heigham
    Echam: Godric de Heigham, a freeman of the king.
    Site of a Roman pottery.

    Pudding Norton
    Nortuna: King's land. Church.
    Church ruins.

    Pulham
    Pul(la)ham: Abbot of Ely before and after 1066. 2 churches, mill. 3 cobs, 11 cattle, 40 goats.
    Now 2 villages, Pulham Market and St. Mary.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Q

    Quarles
    Gueruelei / Huerueles: King's land; Thurston FitzGuy from Roger Bigot.
    Quarles Farm.

    Quidenham
    Cuid / Guidenham: King's land, in the custody of Godric; Roger Bigot; Jocelyn from St. Edmund's. Mill.
    Church with a Saxon tower. Saxon's Mound nearby is said to be Boadicea's burial place.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    R

    Rackheath
    Rechei(th)a: King's land, in the custody of Godric; Abbot of Holme; Ralph de Beaufour.
    Scattered.

    Rainthorpe
    Rainestorp / Rainiltorp: Warenger from Roger Bigot; William from Roger de Raismes. 2½ mills.
    Rainthorpe Hall. The ghost of Amy Robsart, wife of Robert Dudley, Elizabeth I's favourite, is said to appear here annually.

    Ranworth
    Randuorda: King's land. Broadland.
    Church, with fine painted rood screen.

    Raveningham
    Ravelincham / nicham / erincham / ingham / Ravincham / Ravingeham / Ruverincham: King's land, in the custody of Godric; also in the charge of William de Noyers; Earl Hugh; Robert from Roger Bigot; Bishop William; Ralph de Beaufour; Ralph Baynard and Einbold from him; Roger FitzRainard. Mill, 2 churches. 200 sheep.
    Raveningham Hall; church with a Norman tower.

    Raynham
    Rein(e)ham: King's land, in the custody of Godric; Roger Bigot; Reynald FitzIvo and Boteric from him; Hugh de Montfort. 3 mills, salthouse.
    Now 2 villages, East Raynham, home of Charles 'Turnip' Townsend (1674-1738) who introduced the turnip to England and West Raynham.

    Redenhall
    Rada(na)halla / Radenhala / Redanaha(lla): King's land and Agneli from the king, in the custody of Godric, also in the charge of William de Noyers.
    Near ancient earthworks.

    Reedham
    Redaham / Redeham: King's land, in the custody of Godric; Abbot of Holme; Richard from William d'Écouis. Church.
    Broadland; on the River Yare; ferry.

    Reepham
    Refham: Ralph Baynard.
    2 adjacent churches, joined by a parsonage.

    Repps (near Acle)
    Repes: Count Alan; Roger Bigot; Abbot of Holme; William d'Écouis; freemen in the charge of Aelmer.
    Broadland.

    Repps (Northrepps and Southrepps)
    Nor(h)repes / Repes / Sutrepes: William de Warenne; Abbot of Holme; Quintin from William d'Écouis. In Northrepps, 2 mills, church; belonging to both, another church. 2 villages near the coast.
    Southrepps has a stump cross.

    Reymerston
    Raimerestuna: Under dispute.

    Riddlesworth
    Redelefuuorda: Humphrey FitzAubrey.
    Scattered; Riddlesworth Hall.

    Ridlington
    Ridlinketuna: Ranulf brother of Ilger.

    Ringland
    Remingaland: Walter Giffard.
    On the outskirts of Norwich.

    Ringstead
    Rinc(s)teda: Roger Bigot, and Ralph FitzHerlwin, Abbot of Holme and Ralph de Tourleville from him; St. Benedict's of Ramsey before and after 1066; Richard from Ralph de Beaufour; Roger from William d'Écouis; John nephew of Waleran. 1 1/8 mills.
    Roman Peddars Way.

    Rippon
    Rippetuna: Walter Giffard.
    Rippon Hall.

    Rising (in Feltwell)
    Risinga:
    Lost.

    Rockland
    Rokelun(d)lunt: Simon from William de Warenne; Roger Bigot; Richard de Sackville from Eudo the steward; Roger FitzRainard. 1/8 mill.
    Now Rockland All Saints; also a ruined church, all that remains of Rockland St. Andrew.

    Rockland St. Mary
    Rokelonda / lund(a): King's land, in the custody of Godric; Roger Bigot; William Noyers from Bishop William; Godric the steward. Church.
    Broadland.

    Rockland St. Peter
    Tofftes: William de Warenne. Mill.

    Rollesby
    Roluesb(e) / Rothbfuesbi / Rotholfuesbei / bey / Thoroluesby: King's land, in the custody of Godric; Bishop William; Abbot of Holme before and after 1066; 8½ freemen in the charge of Aelmer. ½ salthouse.
    Broadland.

    Roudham
    Rudham: King's land, in the custody of Godric the steward; William de Warenne; Abbot of Ely; Eudo the steward and Ralph from him.
    Roudham Hall.

    Rougham
    Ruhham: King's land, in the custody of Godric; William de Warenne; Fulbert, the pre-Conquest holder, from Hermer de Ferrers.

    Roughton
    Rof / Ruftuna / Rugutune: Count Mortain; Roger Bigot; Hugh de Montfort. Mill.
    Near the coast; church with a Saxon tower; a prehistoric burial ground nearby.

    Roxham
    Rochesham: In dispute.
    Roxham Farm on the Great Ouse cut-off channel in the Fens.

    Roydon (near Diss)
    Ragadona / Rag(h)eduna / Regadona / Regedona: Walter from Robert Malet; St. Edmund's; Hugh from Ralph de Beaufour. 2 horses at the hall. 30 pigs.
    Home of Sir Henry Bartle Frere (1815-84), who negotiated the suppression of the Zanzibar slave trade.

    Roydon (near King's Lynn)
    Reiduna: Bishop of Bayeux; St. Edmund's. 3½ salthouses.
    Duckpond; on the edge of Roydon Common.

    Rudham
    Rudeham: Alfheah from Count Alan; William de Warenne and Ralph and Lambert from him; Peter de Valognes and Thorgils from him. 2 churches, 2 mills, salthouse. 22 wild mares, 180 sheep, 300 sheep, mule.
    Now 2 villages, East and West Rudham.

    Runcton
    Runghetuna: St. Edmund's. Mill, fishpond.
    Now the village of Runcton Holme and South Runcton, a hamlet.

    Runhall
    Runhal(a): King's land, in the custody of Godric; Count Alan.

    Runham
    Romham / Ronham: King's land, in the custody of Godric; Roger Bigot; Aelmer FitzGodwin, a freeman of the king. 18 salthouses.
    Broadland; on the Bure marshes.

    Runton
    Runetune: Roger Bigot; Ilgulf from William d'Écouis. Church.
    Now East and West Runton, seaside resorts. A continuing medieval claim to common grazing rights, 'Half Year Rights', has prevented development on the cliff tops.

    Rushall
    Riuessal(l)a: King's land, in the charge of William de Noyers; Ranulf Peverel and Waring from him; Gunfrid from Robert FitzCorbucion. Beehive. 17 pigs.
    Church with a possibly Saxon tower.

    Rushford
    Riseurda / Rusceuuorda: John, nephew of Waleran from Abbot of Ely; Ulfketel. 52 goats.
    A college for priests, founded in 1342 by Edmund Gonville, was destroyed during the Dissolution, but 2 sides of the quadrangle are now part of the rectory.

    Ryston
    Ristuna: Aelmer from Hermer de Ferrers. ½ fishery. 5 cows.
    17th century Ryston Hall, remodelled by Sir John Soane.

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2017 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved