Hackford (near Hingham)
Hackford (near Reepham)
|Hacforda: William de Warenne; Berner the Crossbowman. Mill, 5 beehives. 10 cattle, 4 cobs.|
Broadland; church with a round, Saxon tower.
|Hadescou / Hatescou: King's land, in the charge of William de Noyers; Roger Bigot; Ralph Baynard; Gifard from Robert FitzCorbucion.|
Now a dormitory of Norwich.
|Han / Hamforda: Roger de Poitou.|
Expanding; Norman church with Saxon work and a thatched roof.
|Hals: Roger Bigot; Frodo from St. Edmund's; Toki and 9 Frenchmen from Ralph Baynard.|
|Halfriate: King's land, in the custody of Godric. Salthouse. 960 sheep.|
300 year old chestnut tree stands in the grounds of the Hall.
|Hagan(a)worda: Roger Bigot. 2 mills, 8 beehives. 5 cobs, 24 cattle.|
On the coast. Jonathon Balls was buried here in 1846, with a plum cake, the Bible, and a poker and tongs.
|Hapesburc: King's land, in the custody of Godric; Edric from Count Alan. 200 sheep.|
|Apetuna / Habetuna / Habituna: Earl Hugh; Roger Bigot. Church.|
Now Hardley Street.
|Hardale: Abbot of Holme before and after 1066. 150 sheep.|
|Herdeuuic / du(uu)ic / Hierduic: Robert Malet; Roger Bigot; Abbot of Ely; Ralph Baynard.|
Harham Hall; Farm with a few houses; heath.
|Hercham / Herkeham: Waring from Ralph de Beaufour. 2 cows.|
Expanding country town.
|Heroluestuna: St. Edmund's and Frodo from it.|
Now 2 villages, East Harling on the River Thet and West Harling.
|Herlinga: King's land, in the custody of Godric; Count Alan and Ansketel from him; Richard from St. Edmund's; Ingulf from William d'Écouis; Robert de Verly. Church, 2 mills, 1½ fisheries, beehive. 180 sheep.|
The church was rebuilt in the 14th and 15th centuries by Sir Robert Knollys, who fought with Black Prince.
|Harp / Herpelai: Hugh de Port from Bishop of Bayeux; William de Warenne and Walter de Grandcourt from him. 308 sheep.|
|Hasingeham: King's land, in the custody of Godric.|
Now 2 villages; Great Hautbois and Little Hautbois, with a moated Elizabethan Hall.
|Hobuisse / uist / Obuuessa / Ohbouuesse: William de Warenne; Abbot of Holme; Ralph de Beaufour. 1½ mills.|
Remains of Haveringland Hall and moat.
|Havinkelanda / Hereringalanda: Reynald FitzIvo and Ranulf and Herlwin from him. Church, ½ fishery, 20 beehives.|
Seaside town. Water mill which makes Norfolk lavender water nearby.
|Hecham: William de Warenne. 4 mills, salthouse, fishery. 30 cattle, 600 sheep.|
Church with a Norman font and south doorway.
|Ekincham / Hechinheam / Hethingham / Kechinga: Robert de Vaux; Thorold from Roger Bigot; Godric the steward; St. Edmund's. Church, mill, marsh.|
18th century Hedenham Hall.
|Hedenaham: Waring from Earl Hugh. 40 goats.|
Suburb of Norwich.
|Hecham: Abbot of Holme. 2 mills.|
|Halgetuna / Haelgatuna / Helge / Helgatuna: King's land, in the custody of Godric; William de Warenne and Ralph from him; Hugh de Montfort; Peter de Valognes. 1½ mills, fishery.|
Suburb of Norwich. St. Edmund, King of the East Angles is said to have been defeated and slain by the Danes here in 869.
|Hailesduna: Godwin Haldane. Church, 2 mills, fishery.|
|Halgatona / tuna: Roger Bigot; Ralph and Godric the steward.|
Church with a Saxon/Norman tower.
|Hemelingetun / Hemelintuna: King's land, in the custody of Godric; Bishop William.|
Church with Saxon features.
|Hemenhala: Thorold from Roger Bigot; Ralph Baynard. 2 churches, 2 mills. 6 cows, 20 pigs, 20 rams.|
Hempstead (near Holt)
|Hemessteda / Henepsteda: King's land; Bishop William.|
Hempstead (near Stalham)
|Hemsteda: King's land, in the custody of Godric.|
Views of Fakenham from the common.
|Hamatuna: William de Warenne. Church.|
|Haimesbei: Bishop William. Church, 2 salthouses. 160 sheep.|
Herringby Hall; cottages and farms.
|Haringebei: Reinbald the Goldsmith, a freeman of the king. 5½ salthouses.|
|Hathella / Het(h)ella: Roger Bigot. Church, mill. 3 wild mares, 5 cobs, 8 cattle.|
Suburb of Norwich.
|Hederse(e)ta: Count Alan and Ribald from him; Godric the steward. 2 churches, mill, 7 beehives.|
Horsehair-weaving and broom-making until 1900.
|Euincham / Heuincham / Strincham: King's land, in the custody of Godric, with a priest holding 4 acres in alms (he sings 3 masses in any one week); Walter Giffard. 2/8 mill.|
Remains of a priory of Austin Canons, founded 1185, nearby.
|Hikelinga: Count Alan and Wymark his steward from him. Church, 2 beehives. 200 sheep, 5 wild mares.|
Mill. Nelson's ancestors were rectors here from 1734-1806.
|Hildeburhwella: William de Warenne and William from him. 3 mills, 5 beehives.|
Tombstone of Captain Manby, who invented a rocket life-saving aparatus in the early 19th century.
|Halingheia / Hulingheia / Hidling(n)eia: King's land, in the charge of William de Noyers; William de Warenne; Roger Bigot; St. Edmund's.|
|Helingetuna / Idlinghetuna / Nidlinghetuna: William de Warenne; Geoffrey from Eudo FitzSpirwic; Berner the Crossbowman, formerly Wulfrun and free woman. 5 mills, 1½ salthouses.|
The remains of the old church are incorporated into the new one.
|Hidolfestuna / vestuna: Bishop William. Church, 2 beehives. 20 cattle, 40 goats.|
Moated 16th century hall.
|Hidringham / Hindringaham / Indregeham: King's land; Bishop William; Bishop Osbern; Drogo de Beuvriére. Mill, 6 beehives. 160 sheep.|
Market town with many 18th century buildings; sea mere; a moated site. Abraham Lincoln's ancestor, Samuel Lincoln, was a weaver here before fleeing to America in the 17th century.
|Ahincham / M(a)incham / Himcham / Hinham: King's land and William de Warenne; Count Alan and Ralph de Beaufour from the king; Stanard, an Englishman, from Roger Bigot. 2 beehives. 3 sesters of honey.|
|Hochelinga / Hokelinka: Ralph de Beaufour. 1½ mills. 33 pigs.|
Now Hocwold cum Wilton; traces of a Roman settlement and farming.
|Hocwella: William de Warenne. 17 beehives.|
|Hou: Abbot of Ely before and after 1066. Mill.|
18th century Holkham Hall built by the Earl of Leicester (Thomas Coke) and designed by William Kent; park by Capability Brown.
|Hoccham / Hoc(ha)ham / Holcham / Holkham / Locham: King's land and Wighton from the king; Ribald from Count Alan; Walter from William de Warenne; William de Noyers from Bishop William; Peter de Valognes; Tovi. 300 sheep.|
|Holm(a): King's land. 1¼ mills.|
Holme next the Sea
Nature reserve; the end of the Roman Peddar's Way.
|Hom: King's land in the custody of Godric; Roger d'Evreux from William d'Écouis.|
Small market town. The church has a Norman font bowl. In 1555 Sir John Gresham, uncle of Sir Thomas, Lord Mayor of London, founded the school, among whose pupils were Lord Reith, Benjamin Britten, Stephen Spender and W.H. Auden.
|Holt: King's land; Earl Hugh from the king. 5 mills, market. 140 sheep.|
Holverston Hall; cottages.
|Honestuna: Aitard from the king, in the custody of Godric; Bishop Bayeux; Roger Bigot; Godric the steward.|
On a canal; mill common.
|Haninga: Robert Malet from Abbot of Holme who held before and after 1066, and Robert de Glanville from Robert Malet; Ranulf brother of Ilger. 2 mills.|
Some houses near Honingham.
|T(h)orp: Count Alan. Mill.|
Broadland; yachting resort; remains of St. Benet's Abbey, founded by Canute, nearby.
|Horninga: Abbot of Holme before and after 1066. Mill.|
Scattered; manorial earthworks.
|Hornincgetoft / Horninghetoft: King's land, in the custody of Godric. ½ fishery. 160 sheep, 20 goats.|
Horsey Mere nature reserve.
|Hors(h)eia: Roger Bigot; Bishop William and William de Noyers from him.|
Near the remains of a motte and bailey castle.
|Hosforda: Robert Malet. Mill, 15 beehives.|
Now Horsham St. Faith. Catherine Howard, 5th Queen of Henry VIII, lived here during her childhood.
|Horsham: Robert Malet. 2 mills, 35 goats.|
Mill, burned down in 1963.
|Ho(r)steda: King's land, in the charge of William de Noyers. 3 mills, beehives. 40 goats.|
Houghton (near West Rudham)
Rebuilt in the 18th century. Sir Robert Walpole retired to the Hall in 1742.
|Houtuna: Simon from William de Warenne.|
Houghton on the Hill
Houghton Farm and Plantation. A track leads to the remains of St. Mary's Church with its Saxon nave.
|Houtuna: Herlwin from Reynald FitzIvo (annexed by Wihenoc).|
Houghton St. Giles
14th century Slipper Chapel, where pilgrims left their footwear on the last stages of their journey to the shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham.
|Hohttune: King's land. 2 mills.|
Hoveton (St. John, St. Peter)
Broadland; yachting centre; 17th century Hoveton House with grounds by Humphrey Repton.
|Hovetuna: Abbot of Holme. 2 churches.|
Round a green; mainly Saxon church.
|Hou / Howa: King's land, in the custody of Godric.|
Seaside holiday resort. Hunstanton Hall, owned by the Le Strange family from the Conquest until 1949.
|Hunestanesteda / tuna / Hunes(ta)tuna / Huntanestuna: King's land, in the charge of William de Noyers, formerly a free woman; Ralph FitzHerlwin from Roger Bigot; Bishop William; John nephew of Waleran. 2½ mills, 2½ fisheries, church, 5 beehives.|
Watermill on the River Glaven; ancient earthworks on Castle Hill; church with Saxon windows.
|Hunaworda / Huneworda / worde: King's land. Alstan, the pre-Conquest holder, and Ribald from Count Alan; Walter Giffard. 4½ mills.|