Moated Hall Farm.
|Babin / ghelea / keleia: Geoffrey from Eudo FitzSpirwic; William from Peter de Valognes. Moiety of 2 mills, 5 salthouses, another mill. 8 cattle, 177 sheep.|
Baconsthorpe (in Attleborough)
|Baconstorp: Thurstan from Count Alan.|
Baconsthorpe (near Holt)
Fortified 15th century manor house; mainly ruined gatehouse.
|Torp: Thorold from Roger Bigot; Osbert from Robert Gernon. ½ mill. 100 pigs.|
On the coast; remains of Bromholm priory nearby.
|Baketuna: Robert Malet. 2 mills.|
|Bachestorp: William de Warenne.|
Moated site; Bale Oaks, a stand of 18th century evergreen oaks.
|Bathele: King's land; Harold from Count Alan.|
Zoo; orchards; a cider-making industry.
|Benham: William de Warenne; Berard from Roger Bigot; Bishop Osbern; William d'Écouis from Bishop of Ely, who held before and after 1066; William d'Écouis. Church. 30 goats.|
|Banincham / Hamingeham: William de Warenne; Abbot of Holme; Roger from Reynald FitzIvo.|
|Bereforda / fort: Count Alan; Abbot of Holme; Richard from Ralph de Beaufour. ½ mill.|
|Benemara: Ralph from William de Warenne. ½ church.|
Church with Saxon work and some Roman bricks; 3 moated medieval sites nearby.
|Berlei / Berneia: William from Peter de Valognes. 2 beehives. 14 wild mares, 14 cattle, 38 goats.|
16th century manor house. The church has a 16th century screen with a rare portrait of St. Walstan.
|Ber(n)ham: William de Warenne; Godwin Haldane; Starculf before and after 1066. 2½ mills.|
Now 2 villages, East and West Barsham.
|Barfham / safam / seham: King's land; Hugh from William de Warenne. 4 mills, church. 200 sheep.|
2 churches, one with a late Norman doorway.
|Bertuna: William from Hermer de Ferrers; Reynald FitzIvo; Ralph Baynard, formerly Aethelgyth, a free woman. 2 churches. 4 cobs.|
On the edge of Barton Broad; nature reserve; church with a rare portrait of Henry VI.
|Bertuna: Abbot of Holme before and after 1066; Geoffrey from Ralph Baynard. 2 churches.|
Now 2 hamlets, Little and Great Barwick; also the site of the medieval village of Great Barwick.
|Bereuuica: Simon from William de Warenne. ½ church. 160 sheep.|
|Bastu(u)ic / Bastuuuic: Count Alan; 2 free women, the pre-Conquest holders, from Roger Bigot; Bishop William; Abbot of Holme; Aelmer.|
Bawburgh Church with a round tower, possibly Saxon. It was the birthplace of St. Walstan in 965 and a place of pilgrimage until the Reformation.
|Baldereswella: Count Alan.|
|Boweseia / Heuseda: Count Alan; Robert Malet. 1½ salthouses. 50 goats.|
Part Jacobean Bayfield Hall; Bayfield Brecks, scattered cottages.
|Baiafelda: King's land; Walter Giffard. 1¼ mills.|
Beck Beck Hall, formerly Beck Hostel for travellers to Walsingham.
Now Bedingham Green; several medieval moated sites.
|Bedingaham: King's land, in the custody of Godric; Roger Bigot.|
Church with a Saxon tower.
|Bechersuuella / Bicham / Bycham / Hekesuuella: Ribald, the pre-Conquest holder, from Count Alan; Robert de Vaux from Roger Bigot; Reynald FitzIvo; Ralph Baynard. Church. Ass.|
Seaside suburb of Sheringham.
|Besentuna / Besetuna / tune: Ingulf from William d'Ecouis; Hugh de Montfort.|
Beeston St. Andrew
|Boefetuna / Bes(e)tuna: King's land, in the custody of Godric; Robert Malet; Godric the Steward; Ralph de Beaufour. 2 mills, church.|
Beeston St. Lawrence
|Besetuna: Abbot of Holme.|
|Betellea: Bishop William. Church.|
Manor house; church with a 13th century font.
|Begetona / tuna: Bishop William. Church.|
|Belaga: King's land, in the custody of Godric and in the charge of William de Noyer; Abbot of Holme; Ralph de Beaufour.|
Manor house; 6th-7th century barrows and ring ditches.
|Berc: Godric the steward from Abbot of Ely. Mill. 203 cattle.|
Manor house; moated site.
|Basingeham: Drogo de Beuvrière.|
Besthorpe Saxon earthworks.
Church with Norman windows.
|Beches / Bekes / uuella: Ralph FitzHerlwin from Roger Bigot; Abbot of Ely. Church, ½ fishery.|
Bickerston Bickerston Bridge and Farm.
Billingford (near Diss)
|P(re)lestuna: King's land the charge of William de Noyers; Roger de Raismes from Abbot of Ely; Roger de Raismes and Warenger from him.|
Billingford (near East Dereham)
|Billingeforda / Belingesfort: Humphrey and Count Alan from Ranulf Peverel; Humphrey FitzAubrey. 2 mills, 4 beehives.|
|Bit(h)lakebei: Roger Bigot; Ketel and Bernard from Bishop William. 2/3 church.|
Remains of a Benedictine priory founded c.1091 by Peter de Valognes.
|Benincham / Bin(n)eham: Peter de Valognes. 2 mills.|
Manor house; mill.
|Binctre / Binnetra: Godric the steward; Walter Giffard; Hagni the King's reeve.|
|Niwetuna: Ralph de Beaufour. Church.|
|Stofsta: Bishop of Bayeux.|
Site of the medieval village of Little Bittering.
|Britringa: King's land, in the custody of Godric and in the charge of William de Noyers.|
Bixleybottom Plantation; remains of a moated hall.
|Bichesle / Biskele / Bischelai / Fiskele: Roger Bigot.|
|Bliclinga / Blikelinga / -inges: Godric and Walter Giffard from the king, formerly Harold. Bishop William. 3½ mills.|
|Bla(uue)felda: Bishop William.|
Church; Blo Norton Hall.
|Nortuna: Fulcher from William de Warenne; Alfred an Englishman from Roger Bigot; St. Edmund's; Abbot of Ely. 1½ mills, church.|
|Bod(en)ham / Botham: Ralph from Hugh de Montfort; Walter Giffard.|
Flint church with Saxon carvings; tumuli nearby.
|Bod / Budeneia: William de Warenne; Ralph de Tosny; Hugh de Montfort. 3¼ mills.|
Booton Booton Manor.
18th century houses round a green; pond; church.
|Buchetuna: Ranulf from Reynald FitzIvo; Ralph Baynard. Church, 3 beehives. Cow.|
Recent suburban development near Norwich.
|Bo(w)ethorp: King's land, in the custody of Godric. Mill.|
Birthplace of Edward Thurlow (1731-1806), Lord Chancellor.
|Braccas / Braccles: Roger Bigot.|
Now 2 villages, East and West Bradenham.
|Brade(n)ham / Brehendam: William de Cailli from William de Warenne; Ralph de Tosny; Ralph Baynard.|
Bradeston church on high ground overlooking Bradeston Marsh.
|Bregestuna / Breiestuna: William de Noyers and Edric, a steersman of King Edward's, from Bishop William.|
Mostly 14th century church.
|Bramb(r)etuna: Aitard de Vaux from the king; Bishop of Bayeux; Roger Bigot and Ranulf FitzWalter from him; Godric the steward. Church.|
Home of the Brampton family from 1066 to the 17th century.
|Brantuna: William de Warenne; Ralph de Beaufour.|
On the coast; adjacent to the site of the Roman fort, Branodunum.
|Broncestra: St. Benedict's of Ramsey before and after 1066. Mill. 600 sheep.|
Brandiston Stump cross.
Brandon Parva Scene of 19th century agricultural workers riots.
Church with a Norman and Saxon tower, and a memorial stone to Ursula Webb who was, at her own request, buried upright in the 17th century.
|Brecc(h)les / Brec(l)es: King's land; Roger Bigot; Ralph de Tosny. Customary honey.|
|Brasincham / Bresing(a)ham: King's land, in the custody of Godric; St. Edmund's and Roger Bigot from the abbey. Church.|
|Bre(t)ham: William de Bourneville from Roger Bigot; Abbot of Ely; Eudo the Steward; William from John nephew of Waleran. 2 mills, 5 beehives.|
Church with a Norman font.
|Brugam: Abbot of Ely before and after 1066. Church, 4 mills, 5 beehives. 180 sheep.|
Circular lookout post nearby, was used at the time of the Armada.
|Bruningaham / Burningaham: Geoffrey from Count Alan; Roger Longsword from Bishop William. Church, mill, 5 beehives.|
|Bruntuna: Bishop William.|
Adjoining Melton Constable.
|Burstuna: King's land; William de Warenne.|
. Church with Saxon and Norman windows.
|Brodise / Brodiso: King's land, in the charge of William de Noyers; St. Edmund's. Church|
Reed mere; the birthplace of Sir Astley Cooper, famous 18th century surgeon.
|Broc: St. Edmund's. 5 cobs, 14 cattle.|
On marshes near the River Waveney.
|Brom / Bron: Roger Bigot; Frodo from St. Edmund's, who held it before and after 1066; Humphrey from Robert FitzCorbucion. Church, mill, ½ fishery, 2 beehives.|
|Bruneston: Abbot of Ely. Mill.|
Some houses; church with a thatched nave.
|Brume / Brunestada: Robert from Roger Bigot. Church, mill. 30 goats.|
|Brundala: King's land, in the custody of Godric; Gilbert the Crossbowman.|
Buckenham (near Acle)
Near the Broads.
|Bucanaham / Buc(hana): King's land, in the custody of Godric; Eli from Bishop William; Roger Bigot from St. Edmund's, who held before and after 1066. 4 cattle.|
Buckenham (near Attleborough)
Now 2 villages, Old and New Buckenham. Old Buckenham castle was moved to new Buckenham c.1136.
|Buccham / Buc(he)ham: King's land, in the custody of Godric; William de Warenne; St. Edmund's before and after 1066; Roger d'Evreux from William d'Écouis. 2 mills.|
Buckenham Tofts Park; ancient flint mine nearby; Saxon earthworks.
|Buch / Buckenham: Hugh de Montfort; Roger FitzRainard. ½ mill.|
Burgh (next Aylsham)
On the River Bure; Oxhead's Mill nearby.
|Bu(r)c: Roger Bigot; Drogo de Beuvrière. 1½ mills.|
Burgh St. Margaret
|Burc / Burh: King's land, in the custody of Godric; Roger Bigot and Stanard from him; Bishop William; Abbot of Holme. 2 salthouses.|
Now Burnham Norton; Burnham Sutton, Burnham Ulph and Burnham Westgate adjoin Burnham Market village.
|Brunaham / Bruneham: Humphrey de Culey from Roger Bigot; St. Benedict's of Ramsey before and after 1066; Hugh de Montfort. 1 2/3 mills.|
On the coast by Peddars Way, a Roman road.
|Depedala: Thurstan FitzGuy from Roger Bigot.|
Watermill on the River Bure; picturesque miller's house.
|Brumeham: King's land, in the custody of Godric. 2½ mills.|
Moated manor house. Birthplace of Horatio Nelson (1758-1805), whose father was rector here, 1755-1802.
|Brunehamtorp: Walter from William de Warenne; Robert de Verley. Mill, church. 345 sheep, ass, 6 cobs.|
Mill at Mill Green nearby.
|Borstuna: King's land, in the custody of Godric; Robert Malet (holding of the queen's gift) and his mother and Walter from him.|
Watermill on the River Bure. It was the birthplace of Thomas Cubitt (1788-1855), founder of the first modern builders' firm.
|Buk / Buchestuna: Ralph de Beaufour. Mill, church. 18 pigs.|
Mill at Mill Street nearby; tiny church with painted box pews and fireplaces, and a 3-tier pulpit.
|Belega: Wigwin from Count Alan. Mill, 3 beehives. 12 cattle.|