[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?
  • Lincolnshire O-S

    Click here for details Click here for details
    O

    Oasby
    Asedebi: Gilbert de Ghent.

    Obthorpe
    Ope(s)torp: Ivo Tailbois; Gilbert de Ghent.

    Old Leake
    Leche: Count Alan. 41 salt-pans.
    Market gardening and potato growing.

    Old Sleaford
    Eslaforde: Bishop of Lincoln; Abbot of Ramsey. Church, 8 mills.
    Sleaford Lodge.

    Old Somerby
    Sum(m)erdebi: King's land; Walter d'Aincourt and Reynald from him; Guy de Craon and Godwin from him; Torchil from the king. Church.
    Church with a Norman chancel arch.

    Orford
    Erforde: Guy de Craon and Alfred from him. Mill (with Binbrook).
    Orford House.

    Osbournby
    Esbernebi / Osbern(ed)bi: Gilbert de Ghent; Guy de Craon and Vitalis from him. Church (with Willoughby in the Marsh).
    Flat-topped church steeple; Norman font.

    Osgodby (in Bardney) Lost.

    Osgodby (near West Rasen)
    Osgote(s)bi / Summerlede: Bishop of Bayeux; Ivo Tailbois; Roger de Poitou and Geoffrey from him; Gocelin FitzLanbert; Ralph Pagnell; Seward and Siward the priest from the king. Mill, another mill (with Tealby), another mill (with Market Rasen, Walesby and Otby).
    Osgodby Moor.

    Osgodby (in Lenton)
    Osgotebi: Abbot of Peterborough before and after 1066 and Anschitil from him; Sortebrand.
    Manor farm.

    Otby
    Ote(s)bi: Ivo Tailbois and Geoffrey from him; Roger de Poitou. Mill (with Osgodby near West Rasen).
    Farm.

    Ouseby
    Ulvesbi / Uuesbi:
    Lost.

    Owersby
    Aresbi / Oresbi: Bishop of Bayeux and Wadard from him; Bishop of Lincoln and Gocelin from him; Roger de Poitou; William de Percy; Norman d'Arci and Geoffrey from him; Siward the priest from the king. Church, 3 mills. Now 2 hamlets, North and South Owersby.

    Owmby (near Fillingham)
    Dunebi / Dune(s)bi: Bishop of Bayeux and Ilbert and Wadard from him; Bishop of Lincoln; Ivo Tailbois and Peter from him; Gocelin FitzLanbert and Colsuan from him.
    Roman coins were found nearby.

    Owmby (in Searby)
    Odenebi: King's land; Count Alan; William de Percy and William from him. Mill.

    Owston
    Ostone: Geoffrey de La Guerche. 3 fisheries.
    Earthworks of Kinnard's Castle, destroyed in 1173.

    Oxcombe
    Oxecume / Oxetune: Bishop of Durham; Earl Hugh.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    P

    Panton
    Pantone: Archbishop of York and Gilbert from him; Ernis de Burun. Church.
    Roman road nearby.

    Partney
    Partenai / Partene: Gilbert de Ghent; Robert the Steward. Market.
    Anglo-Saxon barrow nearby.

    Pickworth
    Picheu(o)rde / Picheworde: Bishop of Durham and Gocelin from him; Gilbert de Ghent; Colsuan and William from him. Church.
    Church with medieval wall paintings.

    Pilham
    Pileham: King's land.

    Pinchbeck
    Picebech / Pincebec: Ivo Tailbois; Guy de Craon. 4 fisheries (1500 eels).
    Small town in a bulb-growing area.

    Pointon
    Pochinton(e) / Podintone: Count Alan; Gilbert de Ghent; Colsuan and Conded from him; Gunfrid de Chocques; Guy de Craon and Warner from him.

    Potter Hanworth
    Haneworde: Walter d'Aincourt and a knight from him. Church.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Q

    Quadring
    Quadheueringe / Ouedhaueringe: Bishop of Lincoln; Guert from Count Alan. 2 salt-pans.

    Quarrington
    Corninctone / -tune / Cornintone: King's land; Bishop of Lincoln and Osmund and Hugh Rufus from him; Abbot of Ramsey. 2 churches, and a mill (with Ewerby Thorpe, etc.).

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    R

    Raithby (near Hundleby)
    Radebi: Bishop of Durham; Ivo Tailbois; Eudo FitzSpirwic. Church, mill. Mill-site and ½ mill-site (with Mavis Enderby).

    Raithby (near Louth)
    Radresbi: Earl Hugh.

    Ranby
    Randebi: Bishop of Bayeux; Ranulf de St. Valery. 2 churches, mill.
    Church with a Norman chancel arch.

    Rand
    Rande: Ernis de Burun.
    Site of an ancient village.

    Rauceby Altera
    Rosbi / Roscebi: Robert de Vessey; Robert of Stafford and Edelo from him; Bishop of Durham and Almod from him; Geoffrey Alselin. Church.
    Now 2 villages, North and South Rauceby.

    Ravendale Altera
    Ravendale / Ravendal / Raven(e)dale: Bishop of Durham and Walbert from him; Bishop of Bayeux; Waldin the Engineer; Guy de Craon.
    Now the hamlet of West Ravendale and the village of East Ravendale.

    Raventhorpe
    Ragenaltorp / Rageneltorp: Abbot of Peterborough and Ralph from him.
    Raventhorpe Farm.

    Reasby
    Revesbi: King's land; Earl Hugh; William de Percy and Norman from him; Gocelin FitzLanbert.
    Hall; moated site.

    Redbourne
    Radburne / Reburne: King's land; Bishop of Lincoln and the Canons of St. Mary; Ivo Tailbois; Colsuan; Gocelin FitzLanbert; Osbern d'Arcis; Odo the Arblaster; Heppo the Arblaster. Mill.
    Hall once the home of the Dukes of St. Albans, descendants of Nell Gwynn.

    Reepham
    Refa(i)m / Refam: Abbot of Peterborough; Colsuan; Ranulf de Valery.

    Reston
    Ristone: William de Percy and Osbern from him. Church, 2 mills.
    Now 2 villages, North and South Reston.

    Revesby
    Resuesbi: Ivo Tailbois. 2 churches (with East Kirkby).
    Round barrows; Revesby Abbey, built on the site of the 12th century abbey, was the home of the naturalist Sir Joseph Banks, who accompanied Captain Cook on his voyage around the world, 1768-71.

    Rigby
    Ribi: Earl Hugh, Ralph and Azelin from him; Roger de Poitou and Ernuin from him.

    Rigsby
    Richesbi / Rig(h)esbi: Archbishop of York; Bishop of Bayeux and Losoard from him. Church.
    Some houses; church with Norman features.

    Ringstone
    Ringesdene / dune:
    Lost.

    Rippingale
    Reping(h)ale: Alfred of Lincoln and Dodin from him; Oger le Breton; Guy de Craon and Widwald from him. 1/3 church.
    Traces of Ringstone village, now lost, nearby.

    Risby (in Roxby)
    Risebi: Abbot of Peterborough and Ralph from him; Roger de Bully; Gilbert de Ghent and Robert from him. Church (with Appleby, etc.).
    Now 2 hamlets, High and Low Risby.

    Risby (in Walesby)
    Risebi: Bishop of Bayeux.
    Scattered houses.

    Riseholme
    Risun: Colsuan from Abbot of Peterborough; Gilbert de Ghent; Colsuan and Matthew from him; Church of St. Michael from the king. 2 mills.
    Romano-British burial barrow nearby.

    Ropsley
    Ripeslai / Ropeslai: Robert de Tosny and Ivo from him. Church.
    Sailless windmill; partly Norman church with Anglo-Saxon traces.

    Rothwell
    Rodewelle / Rodowelle: Bishop of Bayeux; Alfred of Lincoln and Gleu from him; Durand Malet. Church, salt-pan, 2 mills.
    A stream runs through the main street; church with a Saxon tower and Norman arcades.

    Roughton
    Rocstune: King's land; Robert the Steward. Fishery.

    Rowston
    Rouestune: Geoffrey Alselin.

    Roxby
    Roscebi / Roxebi: Gilbert de Ghent; Norman d'Arci; Ralph Pagnell.
    Roman pavement; church with a Saxon window.

    Roxholm
    Rochesham: Alfred of Lincoln; Geoffrey Alselin.
    Some houses and 2 halls.

    Ruckland
    Rocheland: Earl Hugh and Brisard from him. Church, mill.

    Ruskington
    Reschintone / Rischintone: Drogo de Beuvriere; Geoffrey Alselin and Ralph from him. Church, 3 mills.
    Church with Norman work.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    S

    Saleby
    Salebi / by: Gilbert de Ghent; Hugh FitzBaldric.
    Moated Saleby Manor, now a farm.

    Salmonby
    Salmundebi: Earl Hugh. 9 mills (with Brinkhill, etc.).

    Saltfleetby
    Salflatebi: King's land; Bishop of Durham; Alfred of Lincoln and William from him; Rayner de Brimou; William Blunt. Ship toll.
    Now 3 villages, Saltfleetby All saints, St. Clements and St. Peter.

    Santon
    San(c)tone: Roger de Bully; Gilbert de Ghent; Guy de Craon and Alfred from him.
    Farmsteads of High and Low Stanton.

    Sapperton
    Sapretone: King's land; Ivo Tailbois. Church (with Braceby).

    Sawcliffe
    Saleclif: Abbot of Peterborough and Ralph from him; Roger de Bully; Gilbert de Ghent and Robert from him. Church (with Appleby, etc.), another church.
    Sawcliffe Farm.

    Saxby All Saints
    Saxebi: Ivo Tailbois and Roger from him. 3 fisheries.

    Saxby (near Fillingham)
    Sassebi: King's land; Eudo FitzSpirwic. 2 mills.

    Scamblesby
    Scamelesbi: Ivo Tailbois.

    Scampton
    Scanton(e) / tune: Gilbert de Ghent. Church, mill.

    Scartho
    Scarhou: Bishop of Bayeux. 3 churches, 2 mills (with Bradley and Laceby).
    Suburb of Grimsby; church with a Saxon tower.

    Scawby
    Seal(l)ebi: Ivo Tailbois; Colsuan and Alfred from him; Gocelin FitzLanbert and Baldric from him; Ralph Pagnell; Osbern d'Arcis; Durand Malet; Odo the Arblaster.

    Scopwick
    Scap(e)uic / Scapewic: Walter d'Aincourt; Norman d'Arci; Heppo the Arblaster. Church, 6½ mills (with Kirkby Green).

    Scothern
    Sco(l)torne / Scotstorne: Abbot of Peterborough; Ilbert de Lacy; Colsuan; Norman d'Arci; Ranulf de St. Valery. Church, mill.

    Scotter
    Scot(e)re: Abbot of Peterborough, formerly Aschil from King Edward. Mill and part of 2 mills, 2 fisheries.
    Once a market town. Its church was given to Peterborough Abbey by the King of Mercia in the 7th century; some Saxon work remains.

    Scotterthorpe
    Scaltorp: Abbot of Peterborough.

    Scottlethorpe
    Scache(r)torp: Robert de Tosny; Guy de Craon.

    Scotton
    Scotone / tune: Abbot of Peterborough and Richard from him; Ivo Tailbois and Gocelin from him; Roger de Poitou; Guy de Craon. Mill-site.

    Scott Willoughby
    Wilgebi: Gilbert de Ghent; Guy de Raimbeaucourt; Guy de Craon. Church.

    Scredington
    Scredinctun / intune: Gilbert de Ghent; Robert of Stafford and Gulfered from him. Church.
    5 moated sites, 3 with water; 2-arched packhorse bridge.

    Scrivelsby
    Scriv(v)elesbi: King's land; Robert the Steward. Church, mill.
    Deer park. The lord of the manor has the right, granted by William the Conqueror, to act as Grand Champion of England; a standard bearer at coronations.

    Scremby
    Screnbi: Bishop of Durham and Fenchel, the pre-Conquest holder, from him; Gilbert de Ghent; Eudo FitzSpirwic. Church.

    Scunthorpe
    Escumetorp: King's land; Abbot of Peterborough.
    Large industrial town.

    Searby
    Seurebi / Sourebi: King's land; Count Alan; Durand Malet. Church, mill.

    Sedgebrook
    Sechebroc: Robert Malet. 3 mills.

    Sempringham
    S(e)pingeham / Stepingeham: Robert de Tosny; Gilbert de Ghent; Alfred of Lincoln and Gocelin from him. Church (with Aslackby).
    Fishponds; well. St. Gilbert, son of a Norman knight called Jocelin, was born here in 1083 and founded a priory in 1131; traces of the foundations remain.

    Sibsey
    Sibolci: Ivo Tailbois. Church.
    Church with a Norman nave and doorway.

    Silk Willoughby
    Wilgebi: Bishop of Durham and Almod from him; Bishop of Lincoln and Ralph from him; Gilbert de Ghent; Waldin le Breton; Odo the Arblaster and Colegrim from him; Robert of Stafford and Godwin from him. Church, and ½ church (with Kirkby la Thorpe).
    Manor House Farm; Bull Mound; church with a Norman font.

    Sixhills
    Sisse: Bishop of Bayeux and Ilbert from him; Roger de Poitou; Rayner de Brimou. Church.

    Skegness
    Tric: Count Alan; Eudo FitzSpirwic; Robert the Steward.
    Large seaside resort.

    Skellingthorpe
    Scheldingchope / Schellingop: Baldwin the Fleming.

    Skendleby
    Scheueldebi: Gilbert de Ghent. Church, 2 mills.
    Giant's Barrow, built 1800BC, nearby.

    Skidbrooke
    Sc(h)itebroc: King's land; Bishop of Durham and St. Calais from him; William Blunt.
    Once a thriving port, now a mile from the sea.

    Skillington
    Schellintune / Schillintone / tune: King's land; Archbishop of York and Walchelin and Osbern from him; Guy de Craon; Carle, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king. ½ church, mill.
    Green; Saxon masonry and Norman columns in the church.

    Skinnand
    Schinende: Robert of Stafford and Colegrim from him.
    House; manor farm.

    Skirbeck
    Sc(h)irebec: Count Alan; Eudo FitzSpirwic. 2 churches, 2 fisheries.
    Part of Boston.

    Sloothby
    Lodeby / Slodebi: Bishop of Durham; Ivo Tailbois; Gilbert de Ghent; Hugh FitzBaldric and Guy his son-in-law from him.

    Snarford
    Snardesforde / Sner(t)eforde / Suardesforde: Bishop of Durham and Colsuan from him; Mainard and Thorald from Roger de Poitou; Ralph Pagnell.
    Farm.

    Snelland
    Esnelent / Snelesunt: Archbishop of York; William de Percy and Waldin from him; Gocelin FitzLanbert and Rayner from him.
    Farmland.

    Snitterby
    Esnetrebi / Snetrebi: King's land; Ivo Tailbois; Gocelin FitzLanbert; Heppo the Arblaster.

    Somerby (in Corringham)
    Sum(m)erdebi / Summertebi: King's land; Count Alan; Ivo Tailbois; Geoffrey de La Guerche.

    Somerby (near Howsham)
    Sum(m)ertebi: Earl Hugh; William de Percy.

    Somercotes
    Summercotes: King's land; Roger de Poitou; Rayner de Brimou; Ilbert de Lacey from Bishop of Bayeux. Mill.
    Now 2 villages, North and South Somercotes.

    Somersby
    Summerdebi: Gocelin FitzLanbert. ½ mill.
    Birthplace of Alfred, Lord Tennyson (1809-92).

    Somerton
    Summertune: Alfred of Lincoln and Gocelin from him.
    Ruined Somerton Castle.

    Sotby
    Sotebi: Bishop of Bayeux and Ralph from him. Church.
    Norman chancel arch in the church.

    South Cadeby
    Catebi: Bishop of Durham and Turstin from him; Roger de Poitou; Alfred of Lincoln and William from him; William Blunt.
    Cadeby Hall.

    South Carlton
    Carletone / tune: Bishop of Bayeux and Ralph the Sewer and Gilbert de Ghent from him; Colsuan and Mathew, Colsuan's man, from him; Sortebrand from the king.

    South Ferriby
    Berebi: Gilbert Tison and Anschitil from him. Church, mill.
    Small busy town. Chalk and limestone cliffs provide material for its cement and tile industry.

    South Hykeham
    Hicham: Baldwin the Fleming. 3 fisheries.

    South Kelsey
    Colesi: King's land; Roger de Poitou and Roger from him.

    South Kyme
    Chime: King's land; Gilbert de Ghent and Egbriht from him. 2 churches, 6 fishponds, 3 fisheries.
    Church with some Saxon work.

    South Ormsby
    Ormesbi: Archbishop of York; Earl Hugh; Norman d'Arci and Herbert from him. Mill.

    Southorpe (in Edenham)
    Sudtorp:
    Lost.

    Southorpe (in Northorne)
    Altera Torp: King's land; Roger de Poitou.
    Some houses.

    Southrey
    Sudtrie / Sutrei(e): Bishop of Bayeux; Bishop of Lincoln and Osbern his clerk from him; Roger de Poitou; Gilbert de Ghent. 2 fisheries.

    South Stoke
    Sudstoches: King's land. 2 mills (with North Stoke).
    Laid out by William Burn in Tudor style in the mid-19th century.

    South Thoresby
    Toresby: Earl Hugh. 6 mills (with Belleau, etc.).

    Southwell
    Sudwelle:
    Lost.

    South Willingham
    Archbishop of York and William from him; Bishop of Bayeux; Rayner de Brimou.

    South Witham
    Widme / Wim(m)e: Alfred of Lincoln and Gleu, Alfred's man, from him; Countess Judith; Ernuin the priest from the king in alms. 1½ churches.

    Spanby
    Spane(s)bi: Colsuan; Oger le Breton.

    Spilsby
    Spilesbi: Bishop of Durham. 2 mills (with Eresby, etc.).
    Town.

    Spittlegate
    Nongetune / Nongtone: King's land; St. Wlfrann of Grantham and Bishop Osmund of Salisbury. Mill.
    Part of Grantham; Spittlegate Farm.

    Spridlington
    Sperlin(c)tone / Spredelintone: Count Alan; Colsuan.

    Springthorpe
    Springetorp: King's land. Church (with Corringham).
    Church with a Saxon tower.

    Stainby
    Stigandebi: Alfred of Lincoln.

    Stainfield (in Hacconby)
    Steintune / Stentuith: Oger le Breton; Heppo the Arblaster. Church, mill.
    Site of a Roman settlement.

    Stainfield (near Lincoln)
    Stain / Steinfelde: William de Percy.

    Stainton (near Lincoln)
    Staintune: Earl Hugh and Osbern from him. Mill.
    Roman road nearby.

    Stainton (in Waddingham)
    Sta(i)ntone:
    Lost.

    Stainton le Vale
    Stainton(e): William de Percy and Alulf from him; Hugh FitzBaldric; Drogo de Beuvriere and Geoffrey from him; Rayner de Brimou. Mill, 2 mill-sites.
    Manor farm.

    Stallingborough
    Stalin(ge)burg / Stanlingeburg: Archbishop of York and Herbert from him; Bishop of Bayeux; Hugh FitzBaldric; Norman d'Arci. ½ church, 3½ mills, 2 sites, 4½ salt-pans, ½ slaughter house.
    The Mercian King Offa is thought to have held his court here 12 centuries ago. The church has a monument to Anne Askew, martyred at the stake in 1546 for nonconformity; she wanted a divorce.

    Stamford
    Stanford: King's land, formerly Queen Edith; Brand; Ulchetel FitzMerwine; Hugh Musard; Eudo the Sewer; Gunfrid de Chocques; Countess Judith; Abbot of Peterborough; Alfred; Guy de Raimbeaucourt. 4 churches, 3½ mills.
    Town that became rich from the wool trade and was once the capital of the Fens. It has a fine market place, medieval gateway and a ruined Norman castle.

    Stapleford
    Stapleforde: Bishop of Bayeux and Tor from him; Osbern from Countess Judith. Church.
    Norman work in the church.

    Steeping
    Stepi(nge): Gilbert de Ghent; Count Alan; Ivo tailbois; Robert the steward. 3 churches, 4 mills.
    Now 2 villages, Great and Little Steeping.

    Stenigot
    Stangehou: Ivo Tailbois.

    Stenning
    Steveninge: Count Alan and Geoffrey from him; Robert de Vessey. 8 salt-pans, fishery (200 eels).
    Part of Swineshead; Estovening Hall.

    Stenwith
    Stanwald / walt: Robert Malet. Mill.
    Lock on the Grantham Canal.

    Stewton
    Stiveton(e): Ilbert from Bishop of Bayeux; Alfred of Lincoln.

    Stickford
    Stichesforde: Ivo Tailbois. Church.

    Stickney
    Stichenai: Ivo Tailbois. Church.
    Vegetable growing area.

    Stixwold
    Stigeswald(e) / walt: Ivo Tailbois; Alfred of Lincoln; Waldin le Breton. 2 fisheries.

    Stoke Rochford
    Stoche(s): Count Alan and Colegrim from him; Drogo de Beuvriere. 4 mills.

    Stow (near Torksey)
    Stou: Bishop of Lincoln and William de Percy from him; Count Alan; Ilbert de Lacey; Gilbert de Ghent; Gocelin FitzLanbert; Ralph de Latimer (3 mansions). Church, 3 iron works.
    Anglo-Saxon and Norman church; Stow Park. St. Etheldreda is said to have stayed here.

    Stow (in Threekingham)
    Stou: Gilbert de Ghent and Robert from him. Church.

    Stowe
    Estou:
    Lost.

    Stroxton
    Stroustune: Drogo de Beuvriere and Guy, Archbishop Thomas, and Hugh de Grandmesnil from him. Church.
    Manor farm; church with a Norman arch.

    Strubby (in Langton by Wragby)
    Strubi: Bishop of Bayeux; Ivo Tailbois; Roger de Poitou; Rayner de Brimou.
    Strubby Hall.

    Strubby (near Maltby le March)
    Strobi: Bishop of Bayeux; Count Alan; Gilbert de Ghent; Hugh FitzBaldric.
    RAF station nearby.

    Stubton
    Stobetun / Stubetune: Norman d'Arci and Gamelin from him; Geoffrey Alselin. Church.

    Sturton (in Scawby)
    Str(i)tone: Ivo Tailbois; Colsuan and Alfred from him; Ralph Pagnell; Osbern d'Arcis and Alfred his man from him; Durand Malet and Alfred his man from him.

    Sturton (near Torksey)
    Stratone: Ilbert from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Roman road.

    Sudbrooke
    Sudbroc / Sutbroc: Abbot of Peterborough; Colsuan; Colsuan from the king. Mill.
    Suburb of Lincoln.

    Surfleet
    Suerefelt: Heppo the Arblaster. 2 salt-pans.

    Sutterby
    Sutrebi: Earl Hugh.

    Sutton (in Great Sturton)
    Sudtone:
    Lost.

    Sutton le Moor
    Sudtone / Su(d)tune: Archbishop of York; Count Alan; Earl Hugh; Eudo FitzSpirwic; Chetelbern from the king.
    Now Sutton on Sea, a seaside resort. Traces of Iron Age salt workings and other medieval traces by the sea shore indicate that the early village was submerged.

    Swaby
    Suabi: Earl Hugh. 6 mills (with Bellay, etc.).

    Swallow
    Sualan: Archbishop of York; Bishop of Bayeux; Count Alan and Picot from him; Roger de Poitou and Wimund from him; Alfred of Lincoln.

    Swarby
    Suarrebi: Odo the Arblaster; Guy de Craon and Vitalis from him. ½ church.
    Green.

    Swaton
    Suavetone / Suavi(n)tone: Colsuan; Robert de Vessey; Guy de Craon and Warner from him.
    Swaton fen; moated site.

    Swayfield
    Suafeld: Bishop of Lincoln.

    Swinderby
    Suindrebi / Sunderby: Countess Judith; Colegrim.
    RAF station nearby.

    Swine
    Suine:
    Lost.

    Swinhope
    Suinhope: Count Alan; Norman d'Arci; Odo the Arblaster. Mill.
    Neolithic long barrows nearby.

    Swinstead
    Suamestede / Suinham / stede: Bishop of Lincoln; Walter d'Aincourt and Odo from him; Ralph Pagnell; Countess Judith; Ragenald, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king.

    Swinthorpe (in Snelland)
    Sonetorp: King's land; Archbishop of York; Gocelin FitzLanbert.
    Remote.

    Syston
    Sidestan / Sidestham: Ivo Tailbois; Guy de Raimbeaucourt. Church, 6 mills.
    Park; church with a Norman tower.

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2013 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved