[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?
  • Lincolnshire C-F

    Click here for details Click here for details
    C

    Cabourne
    Caburne: Ivo Tailbois and Roger from him; William de Percy and Norman from him; Hugh FitzBaldric; Alfred of Lincoln; Durand Malet.
    The church tower is believed to be pre-Conquest.

    Cadney
    Catenai: King's land; Count Alan; Roger de Poitou.

    Caenby
    Couenebi: Bishop of Lincoln. Church, mill.
    Caenby Corner crossroad, inn, church and farmhouse.

    Caistor
    Castre: King's land; William de Percy. Church (with Hundon), 4 mills.
    Roman walled town. The church has Saxon and Norman traces. Mounds may mark the site of King Egbert's victory over the Mercians in 829.

    Calceby
    Calesbi: Bishop of Durham and William from him; Earl Hugh. 20 saltpans (with Wainfleet, Haugh, Theddlethorpe and Mablethorpe).
    Georgian farmhouse; ruined church.

    Calcethorpe
    Torp: Alfred of Lincoln.
    Ancient village site; manor; farm; duckpond.

    Cammeringham
    Came(s)lingeham: Colsuan; Durand Malet.
    Church with pre-Conquest work.

    Candlesby
    Calnodesbi: Count Alan; Gilbert de Ghent; Eudo FitzSpirwic; Chetelbern from the king. 2 churches.

    Canwick
    Can(eu)uic: Bishop of Bayeux and Ilbert from him; Bishop of Coutances; Bishop of Lincoln; Roger de Poitou and Ernuin from him; Norman Crassus; Colegrim. Church, 5 fisheries (with Bracebridge).
    Adjoining Lincoln; manor farm; church with Norman features.

    Carlby
    Carlebi: Bishop of Lincoln and Erchenold from him; Berewold from Ivo and Ivo from Gilbert de Ghent; Robert of Stafford and Geoffrey from him.

    Carlton le Moorland
    Casletune: Drogo de Beuvriere. Church.
    Anglo-Saxon towered church.

    Carlton Scroop
    Carlentun(e): Count Alan; William de Warenne and Adelin from him, formerly Earl Harold. Church.
    Church with Norman features.

    Casewick
    Casuic: Alfred of Lincoln and Boso from him; Gunfrid de Chocques. ½ mill.
    Casewick Hall.

    Castlethorpe
    Castorp: Durand Malet.
    Hall; Castlethorpe Bridge over Wen Dyke.

    Cawkwell
    Calchewelle: Ivo Tailbois; Norman d'Arci and Roger from him. Church.

    Cawthorpe
    Caletorp: Oger le Breton.
    Pond.

    Caythorpe
    Ca(ri)torp: Robert de Vessey. 2 churches, ½ mill.
    Hall and park.

    Cheal
    Ceila: Bishop of Lincoln and Malger from him. Saltpan.
    Now Gosberton Cheal.

    Cherry Willingham
    Gullingham / Ulingeham / Wilingeham: Bishop of Lincoln and Osbern from him; Gilbert de Ghent. Church, 2 fisheries.
    Dormitory of London.

    Claxby (near Normanby le Wold)
    Clachesbi: Ivo Tailbois and Hugh and Godfrey from him; Gocelin FitzLanbert; Drogo de Beuvriere and Colsuan from him; Durand Malet; Norman d'Arci and Geoffrey from him. Mill, 2 churches and ¼ mill (with Normanby le Wold).

    Claxby (near Welton le Marsh)
    Clachesbi: Count Alan; Gilbert de Ghent and Rademer from him; Hugh FitzBaldric and Guy his son-in-law from him. Church, mill.
    Medieval earthworks.

    Claxby Pluckacre
    Calchesbi / Clasbi: Earl Hugh; Gocelin FitzLanbert and Walter and Rayner from him. 9 mills (with Brinkhill, etc.).
    Some houses.

    Claypole
    Claipol: Bishop of Bayeux; Godfrey Alselin and Elduin from him. Church, mill.

    Claythorpe
    Clactorp: Earl Hugh. 6 mills (with Belleau etc.).
    Mill.

    Cleatham
    Cletham: Bishop of Bayeux and Ilbert from him; Abbot of Peterborough and Roger from him; Gocelin FitzLanbert; Aldene from the king. 2 mills.

    Clee
    Cleia: Archbishop of York; Bishop of Bayeux and Ilbert from him; Wimund from Ivo Tailbois.
    Now Old Clee, traces of the original village; church with a Saxon font.

    Clixby
    Clisbi: King's land.
    Farmland; near Vikings Way.

    Coates (near Stow)
    Cotes: Bishop of Bayeux and Ilbert from him; Bishop of Lincoln and Erchenold from him; Roger de Poitou; Colsuan; Gocelin FitzLanbert. Mill.

    Cockerington
    Cocrinton(e)/ Cochrinton: Bishop of Durham; Bishop of Bayeux and Ilbert from him; Colsuan and Matthew from him; Alfred of Lincoln and Gocelin from him; Rayner de Brimou. Mill, mill-site.
    Now 2 hamlets, North and South Cockerington near Monk's Dyke.

    Cold Hanworth
    Haneurde / Haneworde: Roger de Poitou; Gocelin FitzLanbert; Thorald the Priest from Colsuan. Mill.
    Small farming community.

    Coleby (near Boothby Graffoe)
    Colebi / by: King's land; Norman d'Arci; Countess Judith. Church.
    Church with a Saxon or early Norman tower.

    Coleby (in West Halton)
    Colebi: Earl Hugh; Ernis de Burun and John from him.

    Colsterworth
    Colsteuorde / Colstewrde: Archbishop of York; a thane, the pre-Conquest holder. 2 mills.

    Collow (formerly Calcote)
    Caldecote: Ernis de Burun. 2 mill-sites.
    Moated site; Collow Holt and Grange.

    Conesby
    Cunesbi: Once 2 hamlets, North and South Conesby.
    Now lost.

    Coningsby
    Cuningesbi: King's land; Earl Hugh; Drogo de Beuvriere; Robert the Steward; Chetelbern from the king. 15 fisheries.
    Airfield.

    Corby
    Corbi / by: Bishop of Lincoln and Walter from him; Bricteua, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king.
    Small town with an ancient market cross.

    Corringham
    Coring(e)ham: King's land; Berengar from Robert de Tosny. Church (with Springfield).
    Anglo-Saxon church tower.

    Coteland
    Coteland:
    Lost.

    Coton
    Cotes:
    Lost.

    Counthorpe
    Cudetorp: Drogo de Beuvriere and Ulric and Walter from him; Robert of Stafford.
    Counthorpe and Creeton parish; Counthorpe Lodge.

    Covenham
    Covenham: Monastery of St. Calais from Bishop of Durham; William de Percy. Church, 7 saltpans.
    Now 2 adjoining villages Covenham St. Bartholomew and St. Mary, each with a church.

    Craiselound
    Altera Lund: Geoffrey de La Guerche. Fishery.
    Also Eastlound.

    Cranwell
    Cranewelle: Abbot of Ramsey; Gilbert de Ghent and Geoffrey from him.
    Suburban; remains of an ancient cross. At Bayard's Leap, 2 huge horseshoes are embedded in the ground in memory of a legendary horse.

    Creeton
    Cretone / tun(e): Ralph from Alfred of Lincoln; Godfrey de Cambrai; Basuin from Robert of Stafford.

    Croft
    Croft: Gilbert de Ghent and Ralph from him. Saltpan.
    Fenland.

    Crosby
    Cropesbi: Earl Hugh; Norman d'Arci.
    Suburb of Scunthorpe.

    Crowle
    Crul(e): Selby Abbey from Geoffrey de La Guerche. 31 fisheries, church.
    Fenland market town; a brickmaking and agricultural cantre. Crowle Stone, in the church, is believed to be part of an Anglo-Saxon carved cross.

    Croxby
    Cro(c)sbi: Odo from Ivo Tailbois; Robert de Tosny; Norman d'Arci and Odo from him; William Blunt. Mill.
    Area near Binbrook.

    Croxton
    Crocestone / Crochestone / tune: King's land; Gocelin from Bishop of Lincoln; Anschitil from Roger de Poitou; Hugh FitzBaldric and Hamelin from him.

    Culverthorpe
    Torp: Gilbert de Ghent. Church.

    Cumberthorpe
    Combreuorde: Rayner de Brimou.

    Cuxwold
    Cucualt: Archbishop of York and William from him; Gocelin from Ivo Tailbois; William de Percy; Hugh FitzBaldric; Alfred of Lincoln and Gleu from him; Durand Malet; Seward from the king.
    Long barrow.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    D

    Dalby
    Dalbi: Earl Hugh. 2 churches.

    Darby
    Derbi: Lost.

    Deeping St. James
    Depinge / Estdeping(e): Alfred of Lincoln; Godfrey de Cambrai. Fishery.
    Tithe barn.

    Dembleby
    Delbebi / Dembelbi / Denbelbi: Gilbert de Ghent; Colsuan and Raynard from him; Guy de Craon.

    Denton
    Dentone / tune: King's land; Robert de Tosny; Geoffrey from Robert of Stafford.

    Dexthorpe
    Dr(e)istorp: Earl Hugh; Eudo FitzSpirwic and Ivo from him. 2 churches.

    Digby
    Dicbi: Geoffrey Alselin.
    Church with traces of Saxon work; ancient village cross.

    Donnington
    Donninctune / Duninctune: Abbot of Peterborough before and after 1066; Count Alan. 22 saltpans.
    Market town.

    Donnington on Bain
    Duninctune: Ivo Tailbois. 2 mills.

    Dorrington
    Derintone: Geoffrey d'Alselin.
    Village cross.

    Dowdyke
    Dwedic: Abbot of Croyland and Colegrim from him.
    Dowdyke Grange; old sea bank.

    Dowsby
    Dusebi: Archbishop of York and Hugh from him; Guy de Craon; Offram, the pre-Conquest holder. Mill.

    Drayton
    Draitone: Abbot of Croyland; Count Alan and Toli from him; Guy de Craon. 4 saltpans.
    Part of Swineshead.

    Drilby
    Dribi: Gilbert de Ghent and Ivo from him. Mill.
    Remote; earthworks; moated manor site.

    Dry Doddlington
    Dodintone / tune: Bishop of Bayeux and Baldric from him; Geoffrey Alselin; Colsuan. Mill.
    Green.

    Dunholme
    Duneham: King's land and Odo the Arblaster from the king; Ilbert de Lacy and his knight from him; Ralph Pagnell and his knight from him; Odo the Arblaster.

    Dunsby (in Brauncewell)
    Dunnesbi: Abbot of Ramsey; Geoffrey Alselin.
    Dunsby House; mounds of a vanished village and manor house.

    Dunsby (near Hacconby)
    Dunesbe: Bishop of Lincoln and Ralph from him. Church.

    Dunstall
    Tonestale / tele: Ivo Tailbois; Roger de Poitou. Church, mill.
    Earthworks.

    Dunsthorpe
    Dunetorp: King's land.
    Part of Old Somerby.

    Dunston
    Dunestuna: Norman d'Arci. Church, 6 mills.
    Former haunt of highwaymen.

    Dyke
    Dic: Oger le Breton; Heppo the Arblaster. Church, mill.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    E

    Eagle
    Ac(he)lei / Acley / Akeley / Aycle: Roger de Poitou; Durand Malet; Odo the Arblaster; Countess Judith. Church.

    East Halton
    Haltune: Probably Ivo Tailbois.

    East Keal
    Estrecale: Bishop of Durham; Ivo Tailbois; Eudo FitzSpirwic. ½ church.

    East Kirkby
    Cherchebi: Ivo Tailbois. 2 churches (with Revesby).
    Manor house.

    Eastlound
    Lund: Geoffrey de La Guerche. Fishery.
    Also Craiselound.

    Easton
    Estone: Archbishop of York and Osbern from him. ½ church, mill.

    Edenham
    Ed(en)ham: Gilbert de Ghent.

    Edlington
    Ellingetone: Walter from Ivo Tailbois; Gilbert de Ghent and Egbert from him. 2 mills, church.

    Elkington
    Alchinton / Archintone: Ivo Tailbois and Geoffrey from him; William de Percy and Fulk from him. 1½ churches, mill, mill-site.
    Now 2 hamlets, North and South Elkington.

    Elsham
    Ele(s)ham: Bishop of Bayeux and Ilbert from him; Bishop of Lincoln and Gocelin from him; Roger de Poitou and Ernui from him; Geoffrey Alselin. Mill-site.

    Elsthorpe
    Aig(he)lestorp: Alfred of Lincoln; Guy de Craon.
    Elsthorpe Grange.

    Epworth
    Epeurde: Geoffrey de La Guerche. 11 fisheries.
    Small town, the birthplace of John Wesley (1703), whose father was rector here.

    Eresby
    Iresbi: Bishop of Durham. 2 mills (with Spilsby and Thorpe St. Peter).
    Eresby House, on the outskirts of Spilsby.

    Evedon
    Evedune: King's land; Bishop of Durham; Bishop of Lincoln and Osmund from him; Colsuan; Geoffrey Alselin; Colegrim. 2 mills, mill-site, church.

    Ewerby
    Geresbi / Grene(s)bi / leresbi: Bishop of Lincoln; Gilbert de Ghent; Colegrim, the pre-Conquest holder and Rold from him. Church (with Ewerby Thorpe).
    Saxon gravestone.

    Ewerby Thorpe
    Oustorp: King's land; Gilbert de Ghent; Colsuan; Martin. Church (with Ewerby), mill (with Howell, Heckington and Quarrington).

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    F

    Faldingworth
    Falding(e)urde / Falingeurde: Colsuan; William Blunt; Osbern the Priest.

    Farforth
    Farforde: Earl Hugh and Baldwin from him. Church, mill.

    Fenby
    Fendebi: Count Alan.
    Now Ashby-cum-Fenby.

    Fillingham
    Felingeham / Fi(ge)lingeham: Roger de Poitou and Anschitil from him; Colsuan; Anschitil from the king. Church.
    Roman site. John Wycliffe was rector here, 1361-68.

    Firsby
    Frisebi: Bishop of Bayeux and Ilbert from him. Church.
    Now 2 hamlets, East and West Firsby.

    Fishtoft
    Toft: Count Alan; Guy de Craon. Church, mill.
    Vegetable growing; statue of the Saxon St. Guthlac in the church.

    Fiskerton
    Fiscartone / tune: Abbot of Peterborough. Church, 3½ fisheries.
    Church with Norman arches. Bronze Age axes have been found.

    Fleet
    Flec / Fleot: King's land. 2 salt-pans, fishery.
    Originally on the sea shore.

    Flixborough
    Flichesburg: Norman d'Arci. 2 mill-sites.
    Birthplace of Sir Edmund Anderson (1530-1605) who tried Mary Queen of Scots and Sir Walter Raleigh.

    Folkingham
    Folching(e)ham / Fulchingeham: Gilbert de Ghent. Church, mill.
    Remains of Gilbert de Ghent's castle; market square; church with Norman work.

    Fonaby
    Fuldenebi: King's land.
    Now Fonaby Top; Fonaby House Farm.

    Fordington
    Fotintone: Earl Hugh. 3 churches (with Ashby by Partney, etc.).
    Ancient village site nearby; Giants Hill; long barrow.

    Foston
    Foztune(e): Count Alan.

    Fotherby
    Fo(d)rebi: Bishop of Durham and Turstin from him; Robert de Tosny and Berengar from him; Fulk from William de Percy. 4 salt-pans.

    Frampton
    Franetone / tune: Count Alan; Guy de Craon. Church, 15 salt-pans.

    Freiston
    Fristune: Guy de Craon.
    Once on the coast, now 2 miles inland. Called after a colony of Freislanders who invaded and settled here.

    Friskney
    Frischenei: Chetelbern from the king.
    Moated site; mill mound; ancient fishpond site.

    Fulbeck
    Fulebec: Count Alan and Colegrim and Derinc from him. 2 churches, ½ mill (with Leadenham).
    Fine village cross; church with a Norman font.

    Fulletby
    Fullobi: Bishop of Durham and William from him; Earl Hugh and Baldric from him, formerly Earl Harold.
    Manor house by Viking Way; Roman urns discovered nearby.

    Fulnetby
    Fulnedebi: Ernis de Burun.
    Hall.

    Fulsby
    Folesbi: King's land.
    Fulsby Wood.

    Fulstow
    Fugelestou: Bishop of Durham and Walbert from him; Picot from Count Alan; Earl Hugh and Rozelin from him; Robert the Steward. 14 salt-pans.
    Moated grange.

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2013 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved