[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?
  • Lancashire M-Z

    Click here for details Click here for details
    M

    Maghull
    Magele: Roger de Poitou.
    Town adjoining Lydiate; moated site.

    Manchester
    Mamecestre: St. Mary's Church and St. Michael's Church.
    City with a textile tradition dating back to 14th century Flemish weavers. Transformed by the Industrial Revolution, it became an inland port on the 1894 Manchester Ship Canal. It is also the home of the Halle Orchestra and Old Trafford cricket ground and football stadium.

    Martin
    Merretun: Roger de Poitou.
    Martin Hall; Martin Mere, with a Wildfowl Centre.

    Marton
    Meretun: King's land.
    Now Great Marton, part of Blackpool, which was named after the peat-coloured water of Marton Mere; and the adjoining locality of Little Marton.

    Melling
    Mellinge: King's land.
    Overlooking the Lune Valley; castle earthworks.

    Melling (near Liverpool)
    Melinge: Roger de Poitou.
    Melling House. Nearby is the hamlet of Melling Mount.

    Middleton
    Middeltun: King's land.
    Middleton Sands.

    Much Woolton
    Uuetone: Roger de Poitou.
    Part of Liverpool.

    Mythop
    Midehope: King's land.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    N

    Nether Burrow
    Borch.

    Newsham
    Neuhuse: King's land.
    Newsham Hall; Newsham Lodge.

    Newsham (in Skerton)
    Neuhuse: King's land.

    Newton
    Neutun: King's land.

    Newton (in Cartmel)
    Neutun: King's land.
    Now 2 villages, High and Low Newton; on the edge of Newton Fell.

    Newton (near Preston)
    Neutune: King's land.
    Hall.

    Newton (in Whittington)
    Neutune: King's land.

    Newton-le-Willows
    Neweton: Roger de Poitou; St. Oswald's of Winwick.
    Town on Sankey Brook; Sankey Village Park.

    Northenden
    Norwardine: Ranulf and Bigot from Earl Hugh. Church.
    Part of Altrincham-Sale conurbation.

    North Meols
    Otegrimele / Otringemele: Roger de Poitou.
    Meols Hall in Southport.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    O

    Orgrave
    Ouregrave: King's land.
    Orgrave Villa.

    Over Burrow
    Borch: King's land.
    Site of a Roman Fort.

    Overton
    Ouretun: King's land.
    Church with Anglo-Saxon cornerstones, a Norman doorway and Norman walls.

    Oxcliffe
    Oxeneclif: King's land.
    Oxcliffe Hill.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    P

    Pendleton
    Peniltune: Roger de Bully; Albert Grelley.
    On the edge of Pendle Moor. Pendle Hill was famous or its witches in the 17th century.

    Pennington
    Pennigetun: King's land.
    The church, founded by Gamel de Pennington in the 12th century, has a tympanum with a Scandinavian inscription.

    Penwortham
    Peneverdant: Roger de Poitou. Castle, fishery, woodland and hawks' eyries.
    Now 2 villages adjoining Preston: Higher Penwortham, with the site of a Norman castle, and Lower Penwortham.

    Poulton le Fyldes
    Poltun: King's land.
    Town; attractive market-place with a tithe barn.

    Poulton le Sands
    Poltune: King's land.
    Once a tiny fishing village, now absorbed by Morecambe.

    Preesall
    Pressouede: King's land.
    Brine wells nearby on the Wyre estuary.

    Preese
    Pres: King's land.
    Preese Hall.

    Preston
    Prestune: Roger de Poitou.
    County administrative centre at the head of the Ribble estuary.

    Priest Hutton
    Hotune: King's land.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    R

    Radcliffe
    Radecliue: Roger de Poitou.
    Town on the River Irwell; only the tower is left of the 15th century house belonging to the Radcliffes.

    Raven Meols
    Mele: Roger de Poitou.
    Raven Meols Hills.

    Rawcliffe
    Rodeclif: King's land.
    Road and parish name.

    Ribby
    Rigbi: King's land.
    Adjoining Wrea Green.

    Roby
    Rabil: Roger de Poitou.
    Huyton-with-Roby, part of Liverpool.

    Rochdale
    Recedham: Roger de Poitou.
    Important cotton manufacturing town where the Co-operative Movement began in 1844.

    Roose
    Rosse: King's land.
    Part of Barrow-in-Furness.

    Rossall
    Rushdale:
    Lost.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    S

    St. Michael's on Wyre
    Michelescherche: King's land.
    Hall; museum of local history.

    Salford
    Salford: Roger de Poitou.
    Industrial town in the Manchester conurbation. Peel Park was the first free municipal library; the art gallery has paintings by L.S. Lowry (1887-1976).

    Salwick
    Saleuuic:
    Lost.

    Scotforth
    Scozforde: Roger de Poitou.
    Part of Lancaster.

    Sefton
    Sextone: Roger de Poitou.
    Mill; Old Hall Farm.

    Singleton
    Singletun: King's land.
    Also Little Singleton with Singleton Hall.

    Skelmersdale
    Schelmeresdele: Roger de Poitou.
    Town with large housing estates and a modern town centre; formerly a mining village.

    Skerton
    Schertune: King's land.
    Part of Lancaster.

    Slyne
    Sline: King's land.
    Adjoining Hest Bank; Slyne Hall; manor house.

    Smithdown
    Esmedune:
    Lost.

    Sowerby
    Sourebi:
    Lost.

    Sowerby (near Preston)
    Sorbi: King's land.
    Sowerby Hall Farm.

    Speke
    Spec: Roger de Poitou.
    Part of Liverpool. Speke Hall is a fine 16th century half-timbered house in a wooded park.

    Staining
    Staninghe: King's land.

    Stainton
    Steintun: King's land.
    2 farms near limestone quarries.

    Stalmine
    Stalmine: King's land.

    Stapleton Terne:
    Stopeltierne:
    Lost.

    Swainseat
    Suenesat:
    Lost.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    T

    Tarbock
    Torboc: Roger de Poitou.
    Now Tarbock Green; Tarbock Hall Farm.

    Tatham
    Tathaim: King's land.
    On the River Wenning. Tatham Hall is on the opposite bank.

    Thirnby
    Tiernebi:
    Lost.

    Thornton (near Fleetwood)
    Torentun: King's land.
    Town.

    Thornton (near Liverpool)
    Torentun: Roger de Poitou.
    Part of Crosby.

    Threlfall
    Trelefelt:
    Lost.

    Thurnham
    Tiernun: King's land.
    Now 2 villages, Upper Thurnham, with a partly 16th century hall, and Lower Thurnham.

    Torrisholme
    Toredholme: King's land.
    Part of Morecambe.

    Toxteth
    Stochestede: Roger de Poitou.
    Part of Liverpool.

    Treales
    Treules:
    Lost.

    Tunstall
    Tunestalle: King's land.
    Thurland Castle; moated hall; school attended by the Brontës, now a cottage.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    U

    Ulverston
    Ulvrestun: Thorulf from the king.
    Town with a Tudor church and many Quaker associations. The tower on Hoad Hill, a copy of the Eddystone Lighthouse, is a memorial to the founder of the Royal Geographic Society, Sir John Barrow (1764-1848).

    Up Holland
    Hoiland: Roger de Poitou.
    Part of Skelmersdale; ruins of a priory founded by Robert de Holland.

    Up Litherland
    Literland: Roger de Poitou.
    Part of Liverpool.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    W

    Walton
    Walletun: King's land.
    Walton Hall.

    Walton-le-Dale
    Waletune: Roger de Bully and Albert Grelley.
    Town on the site of a Roman ford over the River Ribble.

    Walton on the Hill
    Waletone: Roger de Poitou.
    Part of Liverpool.

    Wart
    Warte:
    Lost.

    Warton (near Carnforth)
    Wartun: King's land.
    Parsonage dating from the 14th century. The first grammar school was founded here in 1594 by Archbishop Hutton.

    Warton (near Preston)
    Wartun: King's land.

    Wavertree
    Wauretreu: Roger de Poitou.
    Part of Liverpool.

    Weeton
    Widetun: King's land.
    Also hamlet of Weeton Lane Heads.

    Wennington
    Wennigetun: King's land.
    Hall.

    West Derby
    Derbei / berie: Roger de Poitou. Hawk's eyrie.
    On the edge of Liverpool; 18th century Croxteth Hall ina large park.

    Westby
    Westbi: King's land.
    Hall.

    Whalley
    Wallei: Roger de Poitou.
    Attractive small town with the ruins of a 13th century Cistercian abbey and a mainly 13th century church.

    Wheatley
    Watelei: King's land.
    Wheatley Farm.

    Whittingham
    Witingheha: King's land.
    Whittingham House.

    Whittington
    Witetune: King's land.

    Woodplumpton
    Pluntun: King's land.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    Y

    Yealand
    Jalant: Ernwin the priest from Roger de Poitou.
    Yealand Manor.

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2013 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved