[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?
  • Lancashire A-L

    Click here for details Click here for details
    A

    Aighton
    Actun:
    Lost.

    Ainsdale
    Einuluesdel: Roger de Poitou.
    Seaside district of Southport; holiday camp; Aighton Sands.

    Aldcliffe
    Aldeclif: King's land.
    On the outskirts of Lancaster.

    Aldingham
    Aldingham: Arnulf from the king.
    On Morecambe Bay; Norman castle site at the Moa.

    Allerton
    Alretune: Roger de Poitou.
    Part of Liverpool; Allerton Hall.

    Altcar
    Acrer: Roger de Poitou.
    Now Great Altcar; hall.

    Arkholme
    Ergune: King's land.
    Earthworks of a possibly Norman castle.

    Ashton
    Estun: Roger de Poitou.
    Ashton Hall; remains of a tower and fishpond.

    Ashton-on-Ribble
    Estun: King's land.
    Ashton Park in Preston.

    Aughton
    Achetun: Roger de Poitou. 2 hawk's eyries.
    Church with a Norman doorway.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    B

    Baguley
    Bagelei: Gilbert, Ranulf and Hamo.
    In the urban district of Altrincham-Sale. Bowden Church has a 13th century monument to the de Baggiley family.

    Bardsea
    Berretsiege: King's land.
    On Morecambe Bay. Nearby Conishead Priory was founded in the 12th century.

    Bare
    Bare: King's land.
    Part of Morecambe.

    Barton
    Bartune: Roger de Poitou.

    Barton (near Preston)
    Bartun: King's land.
    Barton House; hall; farm.

    Birkby
    Bretebi: Orm from the king.
    Birkby Hall.

    Bispham
    Biscopham: King's land.
    Locality, with Little Bispham, on the coast between Blackpool and Clevelys.

    Blackburn
    Blacheburn: King Edward held BLACKBURN. 2 hides and 2 carucates of land. The Church had 2 bovates of this land and St.Mary's Church had 2 carucates of land in WHALLEY exempt from all customary dues. In the same manor woodland 1 league long and as wide; a hawk's eyrie. To this manor or Hundred were attached 28 free men who held 5 and a half hides and 40 carucates of land as 28 manors. Woodland 6 leagues long and 4 leagues wide. They were (subject to) the aforesaid customs. In the same Hundred King Edward had at HUNCOAT 2 carucates of land; at WALTON 2 carucates of land and at PENDLETON half a hide. The whole manor with the Hundred paid 32 Pounds and two shillings in revenue to the King. Roger of Poitou gave all this land to Roger of Bully and Albert Grelley. There are as many men as have 11 and a half ploughs, to whom they granted exemption from dues for 3 years. It is therefore not now assessed.
    Large, spreading town with much modern development, a cotton weaving centre since the 14th century.

    Bolton-le-Moors
    King's land.
    Bolton Heads near Little Urswick.

    Bolton-le-Sands
    Bodeltone: King's land.
    17th and 18th century stone houses; recently much developed.

    Bootle
    Boltelai: Roger de Poitou.
    Industrial town with Merseyside docks, adjoining Liverpool.

    Borwick
    Berewic: Ernwin the priest from Roger de Poitou.
    Tudor Hall.

    Broughton
    Broctun: King's land.
    Broughton House.

    Broughton-in-Furness
    Borch: King's land.
    Small market town.

    Burn
    Brune: King's land.
    Burn Hall and Burn Naze on the outskirts of Clevelys.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    C

    Cantsfield
    Cantesfelt: King's land.
    Hall.

    Carleton
    Carlentun: King's land.
    Locality on the outskirts of Pouton-le-Fylde.

    Carnforth
    Chreneforde: King's land.
    Town; railway museum.

    Cartmel
    Cherchebi: Dwan from the king.
    Town; beautiful priory church founded in 1188; 14th century gatehouse.

    Caton
    Catun: King's land.
    On a stretch of the River Lune painted by Turner.

    Catterall
    Catrehala: King's land.
    Catterall Lodge.

    Childwall
    Cildeuuelle: Roger de Poitou.
    Part of Liverpool. The Calder Stones are from a prehistoric burial ground.

    Chipping
    Chipinden: King's land.
    Pretty.

    Claughton
    Calctune: King's land.
    Hall.

    Claughton (near Lancaster)
    Clactun: King's land.
    Tudor Claughton Hall.

    Clifton
    Clistun: King's land.
    Hall; Clifton Farm.

    Cockerham
    Cochreham: Roger de Poitou.
    Cockersand Abbey Farm and the ruins of an abbey are nearby.

    Crimbles
    Crimeles:
    Lost.

    Crivelton
    Clivertun:
    Lost.

    Crosby
    Crosebi: Roger de Poitou.
    Now Great Crosby, part of the town of Crosby, and Little Crosby, a village with a Tudor hall, partly rebuilt in the 18th century.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    D

    Dalton (near Wigan)
    Daltone: Roger de Poitou.
    Ashurst Hall has a 17th century gatehouse.

    Dalton-in-Furness
    Daltune: King's land.
    Once the capital of the Furness district and a market centre for Furness Abbey, founded in 1127; birthplace of George Romney (1734-1802).

    Dendron
    Dene: King's land.

    Dilworth
    Bileuurde: King's land.
    Dilworth House.

    Downholland Cross
    Holand: Roger de Poitou.

    Down Litherland
    Liderlant / Literlant: Roger de Poitou.
    Part of Liverpool.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    E

    Ellel
    Ellhale: Roger de Poitou.
    Ellel Moor.

    Elswick
    Edelesuuic: King's land.
    Elswick Manor; Elswick Grange Farm.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    F

    Farleton
    Fareltun: Ernwin the priest from Roger de Poitou.
    Moated site.

    Field Plumpton
    Pluntun: King's land.
    Now 2 villages, Great and Little Plumpton.

    Fishwick
    Fiscuic:
    Lost.

    Fordbootle
    Fordebodele:
    Lost.

    Formby
    Fornebei: Roger de Poitou.
    Resort town, once threatened by encroaching sand as the sea receded. An 18th century law enforced the planting of trees and grass to form a barrier.

    Forton
    Fortune: King's land.
    Forton Hall.

    Freckleton
    Frecheltun:
    King's land.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    G

    Garstang
    Cherestanc: King's land.
    Town; ruins of Greenhalgh Castle built by the first Earl of Derby in 1490.

    Gleaston
    Glassertun: King's land.
    Ruins of 14th century Gleaston Castle.

    Goosnargh
    Gusansarghe: King's land.

    Great Eccleston
    Eglestun: King's land.
    Toll bridge over the River Wyre.

    Greenhalgh
    Greneholf: King's land.

    Gressingham
    Ghersinctune: King's land.
    Church with fragments of Saxon carvings.

    Grimsargh
    Grimesarge: King's land.
    Grimsargh House; Grimsargh Hall.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    H

    Haighton Green
    Halctun: King's land.
    Haighton Hall; Haighton House.

    Halsall
    Heleshale / Herleshala: Roger de Poitou.

    Halton
    Haltun(e): King's land.
    Recently developed church with a Roman altar and a Danish cross in the churchyard.

    Hambleton
    Hameltune: King's land.
    Known for its pearl mussels.

    Hart
    Hert:
    Lost.

    Heaton
    Hietun:
    Lost.

    Heaton Bridge
    Hietune: King's land.
    On the Leeds and Liverpool Canal.

    Hillam
    Hillun: King's land.

    Holker
    Holecher: Orm from the king.
    Holker Hall, rebuilt in 1873, is in a large deer park.

    Hornby
    Hornebi: Orm and Ulf from the king.
    Rebuilt but romantic-looking castle remains, described by Scott in Marmion; Castle Stede, a Norman earthwork, nearby.

    Huncoat
    Hunnicot: Roger de Bully and Albert Grelley.
    Hall; castle remains.

    Hurlston
    Hir(l)etun: Roger de Poitou.
    Now 2 small hamlets, Hurlston and Hurlston Green.

    Hutton
    Hotun:
    Lost.

    Huyton
    Hitune: Roger de Poitou.
    Now Huyton-with-Roby, part of Liverpool.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    I

    Ince Blundell
    Hinne: Roger de Poitou.
    18th century hall whose artworks include Roman sculpture.

    Inskip
    Inscip: King's land.

    Ireby
    Irebi: King's land.
    Ireby Hall Farm.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    K

    Kellet
    Chellet: King's land.
    Now Nether Kellet. Dunald Mill Hole is a stalactite cave.

    Killerwick
    Chilvestreuic:
    Lost.

    Kirby
    Cherchebi: Roger de Poitou.
    Dormitory town for Liverpool; large housing estates.

    Kirk Lancaster
    Chercaloncastre:
    Lost. Probably on the site of Lancaster Castle and Priory.

    Kirkby Ireleth
    Gerleworde: King's land.
    Church dedicated to St. Cuthbert, whose body was possible brought here.

    Kirkdale
    Chirchedele: Roger de Poitou.
    Part of Liverpool.

    Kirkham
    Chicheham: King's land.
    Town.

    Knowlsey
    Chenulueslei: Roger de Poitou.
    On the edge of Liverpool. Knowlsey Hall was built c.1490 by the Earl of Derby.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    L

    Lancaster
    Loncastre: King's land.
    County town and city on the River Lune, once a large port, named after a Roman camp, and dominated by its castle with a Norman keep. The priory church of St. Mary's, on a Roman site, has Anglo-Saxon work and 14th century choirstalls.

    Lathom
    Latune:
    Lost.

    Layton
    Latun: King's land.
    Part of Blackpool, with Little Layton.

    Lea
    Lea: King's land.
    Now Lea Town.

    Leck
    Lech: King's land.
    On Leck Beck.

    Leece
    Lies / Alia Lies: King's land.
    Surrounds Leece Tarn.

    Leyland
    Lailand: Gerard, Robert, Ralph, Roger and Walter from Roger de Poitou. 5 hawks' eyries.
    Town; Tudor hall.

    Little Eccleston
    Alia Eglestun: King's land.

    Little Woolton
    Ulventune:
    Lost.

    Lonsdale
    Lanesdale:
    Lost.

    Lydiate
    Leiate: Roger de Poitou.
    Adjoins Maghull.

    Lytham
    Lidun: King's land.
    Combined with St. Anne's; both towns developed as 19th century seaside resorts. Lytham Hall is 18th century. Famous golf course.

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2013 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved