Lost, near South Preston.
|Macheheve / t: Ansfrid from Bishop of Bayeux. King had the fines for house-breaking, breach of the peace and highway robbery.|
County town of Kent on the River Medway. The archbishop's palace is a manor house dating from the 14th century. During the Civil War (1642-48), General Fairfax took the town after a 5-hour siege.
|Meddestane: Archbishop of Canterbury. Church, 6 mills, 4½ fisheries (450 eels), 2 salthouses.|
|Maplescamp / Mapledescam: Ansgot of Rochester and Wadard from Bishop of Bayeux.|
Marley Court Farm.
|Merlea: Adam from Bishop of Bayeux. Church.|
|Masseberge: Bishop of Bayeux.|
Mederclive Lost, near Abbot's Cliff.
Famous for cricket; birthplace of John Trandescant (1608-62), who introduced the acacia, plane and lilac to England.
|Mepeham: Archbishop of Canterbury.|
18th century model village built by the 7th Earl of Westmorland on the old village site around his Palladian castle.
|Marourde: Hamo the Sheriff. Church, 2 mills, 2 fisheries.|
|Merseham: Archbishop of Canterbury. Church, 2 mills, 2 salthouses.|
Merston Lost, but in 1957 the foundations of a Norman church were discovered at Green Farm.
|Midelea: Bishop of Bayeux. Church.|
Thames-side district of Gravesend.
|Meletune: Bishop of Bayeux. Church, mill.|
Suburb of Pittingbourne; church has some Saxon masonry.
|Milde(n)tone / Middeltun: King's land. 6 mills, 27 salthouses, 32 fisheries. A due of 56½ weys of cheese was paid in Newington.|
Minster (in Thanet)
Church still stands. Benedictine nuns live in the 12th century grange, Minster Abbey.
|Tanet: St. Augustine's Abbey. Church, 2 fisheries, salthouse, mill.|
Mongeham (Great and Little)
|Mundingeham: St. Augustine's Abbey. Mill, church.|
Parish. 12th century Cluniac priory forms part of a farmhouse. Tudor Kite Cottage was once the manor house.
|Hortone / un: Alnoth and Ralph from Hugh de Montfort. 2 mills, church.|
|Monocstune: Archbishop of Canterbury's monks. 2 churches, fishery. salthouse.|