[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?
  • Hertfordshire

    Click here for details Click here for details
    A

    Abbots Langley
    Langelai: St. Alban's Church. 2 mills.
    Nicholas Breakspear (d.1159), only Englishman to become pope (Adrian IV), was born here.

    Albury
    Eldeberie: Ralph from Bishop of London.
    Albury Hall and Lodge.

    Aldbury
    Aldberie: Count of Mortain.
    Picturesque; pond; stocks; whipping post.

    Aldenham
    Eldeham: Westminster Abbey before and after 1066; Geoffrey de Bec from St. Alban's Church.
    The sculptor, Sir Alfred Gilbert, who created Piccadilly Circus's Eros, lived here. Famous gardens at Aldenham House.

    Almshoe
    Almeshou: Adam from Bishop of Bayeux, formerly Earl Harold.
    Now Little Almshoe.

    Alswick
    Alsieswiche: William from Ralph Baynard.
    Alswick Hall.

    Amwell
    Emmewelle: Ralph de Limesy, formerly Earl Harold. Mill.
    Now 2 villages, Great and Little Amwell, on the New River. Lord Allenby, WWI general who captured Jerusalem, was educated at Haileybury College near Little Amwell.

    Anstey
    Anestei / stige: Count Eustace, formerly Earl Harold; Payne from Hardwin of Scales.
    Birthplace of poet and musician Thomas Campion (1543-1620). Henry VIII gave Anstey Castle to his first 3 wives.

    Ardeley
    Erdelei: St. Paul's, London before and after 1066.
    Birthplace of Charles Chauncy, President of Harvard College (1654-72). Sir Henry Chauncy instigated England's last trial for witchcraft (1712).

    Aspenden
    Absesdene: Richard de Sackville from Eudo FitzHubert.
    The historian, Thomas Macauley, was educated at Aspenden Hall (1814-18).

    Aston
    Estone: Bishop of Bayeux.

    Ayot St. Lawrence
    Aiete: Geoffrey from Westminster Abbey; the reeve of Broadwater Hundred from the king. Mill.
    George Bernard Shaw lived the last 44 years of his life at the Old Rectory.

    Ayot St. Peter
    Aiete: William from Robert Gernon.
    On hilltop, surrounded by woods.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    B

    Barkway
    Bercheuui(g): Hugh from Geoffrey de Mandeville; 2 men from Hardwin of Scales; Godwin from Prince Edgar.
    A Roman statue of Mars was found in a nearby wood.

    Bayford
    Begesford: King's land. 2 mills.
    The early 19th century zoologist, William Yarrell, is buried here.

    Beauchamps (formerly Affledwick)
    Afledauuicha: Rumold from Count Eustace. Mill.
    Ancient moat.

    Bendish
    Benedis: St. Alban's Church before and after 1066.

    Bengeo
    Belingehou: Count Alan; 2 men-at-arms from Hugh de Beauchamp; Howard from Geoffrey de Mandeville; Geoffrey de Bec and 3 men-at-arms, Roger, a priest and a Frenchman from him; Peter de Valognes. 2 mills.
    Now Bengeo Rural, a village and Bengeo Christchurch, an ecclesiastical district.

    Bennington
    Belintone: Peter de Valognes. Park for woodland beasts.
    Hertfordshire's only Norman castle keep, home of the kings of Mercia.

    Berkesden
    Berchedene: Robert from Count Eustace, formerly Earl Harold; Peter and Theobald from Hardwin of Scales. Mill.
    Berkesdon Green, an ancient site.

    Berkhamsted
    Berch(eh)amstede: Count of Mortain, formerly Earl Harold. 2 mills. 2 vines.
    Market town with the ruins of the 11th century castle where Edgar Atheling submitted to William I. The High Street is on the line of the Roman Akeman Street.

    Bishop's Stortford
    Storteford: Bishop of London. 2 mills.
    Market town; Birthplace of Cecil Rhodes (1853-1902), after whom Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) was named.

    Boarscroft
    Bure: Leofwin from Count of Mortain.

    Box
    Boxe: Osbern from Bishop of Bayeux; Peter from William d'Eu; Peter de Valognes.
    Now Box Lane.

    Bozen
    Bordesdene: Count Eustace; William from Robert Gernon; Thorold from Geoffrey de Mandeville.
    Bozen Green, in Hadham.

    Bramfield
    Brandefelle: Hardwin of Scales, formerly Earl Harold.
    Thomas à Becket was rector at the church; the rectory garden pond is known as Becket's pond.

    Braughing
    Brachinges: Count Eustace. Mill.
    On the River Quin; Roman remains.

    Brickendon
    Briche(n)done: Canons of Waltham before and after 1066; Walter from Geoffrey de Mandeville; Isambard from Geoffrey de Bec; Baldwin from the king. Mill.
    Now Brickendon Rural, in the borough of Hertford.

    Broadfield
    Bradefella / felle: Bishop of Chester; Earl Roger, formerly Queen Edith; Theobald from Hardwin of Scales; Sigar de Chocques.

    Broxbourne
    Brochesborne: Adelaide, Hugh de Grandmesnil's wife. Mill.
    Norman church; priest's house; giant yew on the River Lea.

    Buckland
    Bochelande: Osbern from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Roman Ermine Street climbs to the church.

    Buntingford (Eckington)
    Ichetone: Osbern from Bishop of Bayeux; Rumold and 2 men-at-arms from Count Eustace; Walter from Eudo FitzHubert; Humphrey from Peter de Valognes. Theobald from Hardwin of Scales.
    Small town with a Roman High Street. Seth Ward, the 17th century astronomer and divine, went to school here. Hilltop church with Roman bricks.

    Bushey
    Bissei: Geoffrey de Mandeville, formerly Queen Edith. 2 mills.
    Town. The roundhead turned royalist, Silius Titus, who plotted to kill Cromwell, is buried here.

    Bygrave
    Bigrave: Bishop of Chester. Mill.
    On the Chilterns; manor farm surrounded by pre-Roman ditches and banks.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    C

    Caldecote
    Caldecota: Ralph de Limesy.
    Once a Roman settlement.

    Cassio
    C(h)aissou: St. Alban's Church; Thorold from Geoffrey de Mandeville, formerly Queen Edith. 4 mills.
    Cassiobury Park, once the home of the earls of Essex.

    Chaldean
    Celgdene: Rodhere from Bishop of London.

    Charlton
    Cerletone: King's land. Mill.

    Chells
    Escelueia / Scelua / Scelue: William from Robert Gernon; Aelfric Bush from Geoffrey of Bec; Godfrey from Peter de Valognes.
    Part of Stevenage.

    Cheshunt
    Cestrehont / hunt: Count Alan, before and after 1066. Mill.
    Town with the Waltham Cross, one of the 'Eleanor' crosses erected by Edward I to mark the places where his wife's body rested on its way to London. Cheshunt Great House was the home of Cardinal Wolsey.

    Clothall
    Cladhele: Osbern from Bishop of Bayeux; Theobald from Hardwin of Scales; Leofgeat from Count Alan; William d'Eu.
    Prehistoric terraces in the wheat fields; the Roman way passes through the village.

    Cockhampstead
    Cochehammestede: Count Eustace.

    Codicote
    Codicote: St. Alban's Church. 2 mills.

    Cokenach
    Cochenac: Ansfrid from Geoffrey de Bec.

    Corney(bury)
    Cornei: Robert from Count Eustace.

    Cottered
    Chodrei: Bishop of Winchester.
    500 year old farmhouse, 'The Lordship'. The surgeon who founded the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine, Sir James Cantlie, died here (1926).

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    D

    Datchworth
    Daceuuorde: Ansketel from Archbishop of Canterbury; Westminster Abbey; 2 men-at-arms from Geoffrey de Bec; Robert from Peter de Valognes.
    The 18th century poet, Edward Young, wrote his most famous work, Night Thoughts, under its yew trees.

    Digswell
    Dichelesuuelle: Thorkell from Geoffrey de Mandeville; Roger from Peter de Valognes. 2 mills.
    Also Digswell Water, a hamlet.

    Dunsley Dan
    Deneslai: A widow from Count of Mortain; Mainou le Breton.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    E

    Eastwick
    Esteuuiche: Reginald from Geoffrey de Bec. Mill.

    Epcombs
    Thepecampe: A priest from the king. Mill.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    F

    Flamstead
    Flammestede: Ralph de Tosny.
    On the River Ver.

    Flexmore
    Fles / Flexmere: A freeman, the pre-Conquest holder (from Earl Harold), from the king; Peter de Valognes.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    G

    Graveley
    Grauelai: Adam from Bishop of Bayeux; William from Robert Gernon; Peter from William d'Eu; Gosbert de Beauvais; Godfrey from Peter de Valognes.
    17th century farmhouse.

    Great Gaddesden
    Gatesdene: Edward of Salisbury. Mill.
    On the River Gade; Whipsnade Zoo nearby; Norman church with Roman bricks. Stone Age flints, tools and hunting weapons were found in Gaddesden Row.

    Great Hormead
    Horemede: 2 Englishmen from Count Eustace; William from Ralph Baynard.
    Old postmill sails near the stump of a small smock-mill.

    Great Munden
    Mundene: Count Alan. Mill.
    Near Munden Furnival, a hamlet, now called Nasty.

    Great Offley
    Offelei: 5 freemen and Edward of Pirton from the king; William Delamere from William d'Eu.
    Reputedly named after Offa, king of Mercia, who is said to have died in his palace here.

    Great Wymondley
    Wimundeslai: King's land; Adam from Bishop of Bayeux; Gosbert de Beauvais.
    Motte and bailey.

    Gubblecote
    Bublecote: Fulcwold from Count of Mortain. Mill.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    H

    Hailey
    Hailet: Geoffrey de Bec. 50 eels.
    Part of Ware.

    Hanstead
    Henammesteda: St. Alban's Church. 2 mills.

    Hare Street (formerly Langport)
    Langeport: Roger from Count Alan; Saeward from Geoffrey de Mandeville.

    Hatfield (Bishop's Hatfield)
    Hetfelle: Abbot of Ely. 4 mills.
    Market town with Hatfield House (the seat of the Marquess of Salisbury), one of England's greatest houses.

    Hazelhanger
    Haslehangre / gra:
    Lost.

    Hemel Hempstead
    Hamelamestede: Count of Mortain. 4 mills. 300 eels.
    Market town, one of the first New Towns; Norman church with Roman bricks.

    Hertford
    Hertforde: King's land; Count Alan and Eudo FitzHubert from him; Geoffrey de Bec; Humphrey d'Anneville from Eudo FitzHubert; Peter de Valognes; Geoffrey de Mandeville; Ralph Baynard; Hardwin of Scales; Peter the Sheriff. 2 churches, 3 mills.
    Town, capital of Hertfordshire, where the first national Synod of the Church of England took place (673). It was burnt down by the Danes and rebuilt by Edward the Elder and the Normans.

    Hertingfordbury
    Herefordingberie: Ralph Baynard. 2 mills.
    300 year old school; Panshanger Park.

    Hexton
    Heg(a)estanestone: A freeman from the king; St. Alban's Church; Ralph from Geoffrey de Bec. 3 mills.
    Pretty, beneath the Barton Hills, site of the earthwork fort of Ravensburgh Castle.

    Hinxworth
    Hain(ge)steuuorde / Hamsteuuorde: 2 men-at-arms from William d'Eu; Peter de Valognes; Theobald from Hardwin of Scales.
    The 15th century historian Robert Clutterbuck lived at Hinxworth Place. A Roman Venus was found here, and a pre-Roman gravel pit revealed traces of 4 British tribes.

    Hitchin
    Hiz: King's land, formerly Earl Harold. 4 mills, monastery.
    Market town; birthplace of the poet George Chapman (1559-1634) and the inventor Sir Henry Bessemer (1813-98). The Norman church, the largest in Hertfordshire, contains Roman bricks.

    Hixham
    Tedricesham: William and Ranulf from Bishop of London.
    Hixham Hall.

    Hoddesdon
    Dodesdone / Hodesdone / Odesdone / Hodesduna: Count Alan; Canons of St. Martin's, London from Count Eustace; Edward the Sheriff, formerly Queen Edith; Ralph from Geoffrey de Mandeville; Peter from the king. Fishery (300 eels), weirs (143 eels).
    Remains of Rye House, where a plot was hatched to assassinate Charles II and his brother James; the river Lea fills the moat.

    Hodenhoe
    Odenhou: Osbern from Bishop of Bayeux; Theobald from Hardwin of Scales.

    Holwell
    Holewella / welle: Abbot of Romsey; Westminster Abbey. 2 mills.
    Mineral spring.

    Hunsdon
    Hodesdone / Honesdone: Ralph Taillebois' daughter. Mill.
    Hunsdon House; Henry VIII's daughter Mary (later Mary Tudor) set out from here on the 12 day ride that took her to the throne.

    Hyde Hall (formerly Somersale)
    Summersele: William from Robert Gernon.
    House near Sawbridgeworth.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    K

    Kelshall
    Cheleselle: Abbot of Ely.

    Kimpton
    Kamintone: Ralph from Bishop of Bayeux. Mill.

    King's Walden
    Waldenai: King's land; Asgar's widow, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    L

    Langley (near Stevenage)
    Langelei: Osbert from Geoffrey de Bec.

    Letchworth
    Leceworde: William from Robert Gernon.
    Garden City (founded 1903 by Ebenezer Howard as a pioneering example of urban planning). The central highway is the prehistoric Icknield Way.

    Leverage
    Leuuareuuiche: William from Bishop of London; formerly Leofwara, a woman.
    In Much Hadham.

    Leygreen (Ley Green)
    Leglega: King's land.

    Libury
    Stuterehela / hele, Sutrehella, Sutreshele: An Englishman from Archbishop of Canterbury before and after 1066; Bishop of Bayeux and Peter and Thurstan from him; Walter the Fleming; Peter de Valognes and 2 freemen and Alfward from him; Derman from the king. 2 mills.
    Libury Hall.

    Lilley
    Linlei(a): Geoffrey de Bec.
    John Janeway, first scholar of King's College, Cambridge, was baptised in the Norman church where his father was a curate.

    Little Berkhamsted
    Berchehamstede: Hardwin of Scales.

    Little Gaddesden
    Gatesdene: Humphrey from Count of Mortain.
    In Ashridge Park.

    Little Hadham
    Parva Hadam: William from Bishop of London; Abbot of Ely.
    Hadham Hall, built for the Capel family. Lord Arthur Capel, loyal to Charles I, had his heart placed in a silver casket in the church vault.

    Little Hormead
    Horemede: Godwin from Prince Edgar.

    Little Munden
    Mundane: Walter the Fleming.
    Scattered houses, also called Munden Freville.

    Little Offley
    Altera Offelei: A freeman, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king.

    Little Wymondley
    Wimundelai: William from Robert Gernon.
    Priory remains; moat.

    Luffenhall
    Lufenel(le), Lufenhate: Osbern from Bishop of Bayeux; Canons of St. Paul's, London; Theobald from Hardwin of Scales.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    M

    Mardley(bury)
    Merdelai: Alfward from Robert Gernon.

    Meesden
    Mesdone: Payne from Bishop of London.
    Meesden Green; Meesden Manor.

    Minsden
    Menlesdene: King's land, formerly Earl Harold.
    Minsden Chapel, an ivy-covered ruin.

    Miswell
    Mascewelle / Misseuuelle: Ralph from Count of Mortain; Ralph from Robert de Tosny.

    Much Hadham
    Hadam: Bishop of London and William and Osbern from him; Abbot of Ely. Mill.
    Hadham Palace, now a farmhouse, was the country home of the bishops of London for 800 years.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    N

    Napsbury
    Absa: St. Alban's Church. Mill.

    Newnham
    Newham: St. Alban's Church.

    Newsells
    Neusela / selle: Eudo FitzHubert.
    Scattered houses.

    North Mimms
    Mimmine: Bishop of Chester.

    Norton
    Nortone: St. Alban's Church; Frenchman. 2 mills.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    O

    Orwell
    Orduuelle: Osbern from Bishop of Bayeux; Withgar from Hardwin of Scales.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    P

    Patmore
    Patermere: Baldwin from Bishop of London.
    Now Patmore Heath.

    Panshanger
    Blachemene: Geoffrey de Runesville from Geoffrey de Bec.
    District near Welwyn Garden City.

    Pelham
    Peleham: Bishop of London and Ralph, Payne, Ranulf, Gilbert, 2 men-at-arms, Aldred and Riculf from him.
    Now 3 villages, Furneaux and Stocking Pelham, and Brent Pelham.

    Pendley
    Pentlai: Count of Mortain.
    Pendley Manor.

    Pirton
    Peritone: Ralph de Limesy. 4 mills.
    Once fortified, it clusters around Toots Hill, on top of which the ramparts of a Norman castle remain.

    Puttenham
    Puteham: Roger from Bishop of Bayeux. 2 mills.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    R

    Radwell
    Radeuuelle: Adam from Bishop of Bayeux; Roger from Peter de Valognes. Mill.
    Mill on the River Ivel.

    Redbourn
    Redborne: Wigot from Bishop of Lisieux; St. Alban's Church and Amalgar from the church; Ranulf from Count of Mortain. 2 mills.
    An ancient British plateau fort above the valley. The Roman Watling Street runs through the new Redbourn.

    Reed
    Rete / Retth: Osbern from Bishop of Bayeux; Hardwin and Alfward from Count Alan; Robert FitzRozelin from Count Eustace; Eudo FitzHubert; Hardwin of Scales.
    Traces of 6 moats; Saxon church.

    Rickmansworth
    Prichemareworde: St. Alban's Church. Mill.
    Small town.

    Rodhanger
    Rode(ne)hangre:
    Lost.

    Roxford
    Rochesforde: Guy from Geoffrey de Bec. Mill.

    Rushden
    Risendene: Sigar de Chocques.

    Rye
    Eia: Pete from Bishop of Bayeux. Mill, weirs (200 eels).
    Rye House.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    S

    Sacomb(e)
    Seuechampe / champa, Seuecampe / champ: Ansketel from Archbishop of Canterbury; Peter de Valognes; Hardwin of Scales; Derman and a freeman from the king. Mill.

    St. Alban's
    Villa Sancti Albani: St. Alban's Church. Park for woodland beasts, fishpond.
    Cathedral city, originally Verulamium, a key Roman settlement, destroyed by Boadicea. It was rebuilt and named after the first British martyr, the Roman soldier, Alban.

    St. Paul's Walden
    Waldene: St. Alban's Church. 2 mills.

    Sandon
    Sandone: Canons of St. Paul's, London.
    The foundations of England's earliest known windmill were behind the church.

    Sandridge
    Sandrige: St. Alban's Church. Mill.
    Pre-Saxon entrenchments at Devil's Dyke and the Slad. Sarah Jennings of Sandridge married John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough.

    Sawbridgeworth
    Sabrixteworde: Geoffrey de Mandeville. Mill.
    Town.

    Sele
    Sele: Godwin from Geoffrey de Bec. Mill.
    House.

    Shenley
    Scenlai / lei / Senlai: St. Alban's Church; Ranulf from Count of Mortain; Geoffrey de Mandeville.
    Burial place of Nicholas Hawksmoor, architect and Wren's assistant on St. Paul's. Charles II visited frequently.

    Shephall
    Escepehala / hale: Ansketel from Archbishop of Canterbury; St. Alban's Church.

    Stagenhoe
    Stagnehou: William from Ranulf, brother of Ilger.
    Stagenhoe Park is in nearby St. Paul's Walden.

    Standon
    Standone: Rothais, Richard FitzGilbert's wife. 5 mills, vines.
    Sir Ralph Sadler, Henry VIII's Secretary of State for Scotland, who taught and eventually gaoled Mary Stuart, is buried in the church.

    Stanstead Abbots
    Stanestede: Ranulf brother of Ilger; a freeman from Geoffrey de Mandeville; Geoffrey from Geoffrey de Bec; Godmund from the king.
    Roman pavement from the 5th century.

    Stevenage
    Stigenace: Westminster Abbey.
    Town. The name derives from the Saxon, meaning 'hills by the highway'; 6 little hills near the Great North Road are possibly burial mounds.

    Stone(bury)
    Stanes: Peter de Valognes.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    T

    Temple Dinsley
    Deneslai: King's land. 2 mills.

    Tewin
    Theunge: Westminster Abbey.
    Queen Hoo Hall.

    Theobald Street
    Titeberst(h): Adam from Bishop of Bayeux; Wesminster Abbey and Geoffrey de Mandeville from the Abbey; Geoffrey de Bec from St. Alban's Church; Ralph from Geoffrey de Mandeville; Lovett from Goeffrey de Bec.
    Temple Bar, originally in London, was erected here in 1888.

    Therfield
    Dereuelde / Furreuuelde: St. Benedict's of Ramsey; Withgar from Hardwin of Scales.
    On the last spur of the Chilterns. Birthplace of John Bourchier (1467-1533), 2nd Baron Berners, deputy of Calais and translator of Froissart's Chronicles.

    Thorley
    Torlei: Rodhere from Bishop of London; Geoffrey de Mandeville. Mill.
    Samuel Horsley, the eccentric, powerful preacher who had a bitter controversy on the Incarnation with Joseph Priestley, discoverer of oxygen, in the 1780's was rector of the Norman church.

    Throcking
    Trochinge: Humphrey from Bishop of London; Osbern from Bishop of Bayeux; Rumold from Count Eustace; Theobald from Hardwin of Scales.

    Thundridge
    Tonrinch: Hugh de Grandmesnil from Bishop of Bayeux. Mill.

    Tiscott
    Theisescote: Ralph Bassett from Robert Gernon. Mill.

    Tring
    Tredung(a), Tredwye: Count Eustace. 2 mills.
    Market town. Nell Gwynn stayed at the house in Tring Park, later owned and rebuilt by the Rothschilds.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    W

    Wain Wood
    Wi / Welei: King's land and 2 freemen from the king.
    John Bunyan often preached here in the 17th century.

    Wakeley
    Wachelei: Ralph from Count Alan; Robert from Count Eustace; Theobald from Hardwin of Scales.

    Walkern
    Wakchra: Derman and others of the King's Englishmen from the king.
    Saxon church. Jane Wenham, the last woman condemned for witchcraft in England (1710) lived here and was ducked in the pond.

    Wallington
    Wallingtone: Wimund from Count Alan; William from Robert Gernon; Siward from Geoffrey de Mandeville; Fulk from Gosbert de Beauvais; Siward from Hardwin of Scales.

    Wandon
    Wavedene: King's land, formerly Earl Harold.
    Now Wandon End.

    Ware
    Wara(s), War(r)es: Hugh de Grandmesnil. 5 mills, park for woodland beasts, vines. 375 eels.
    Town, known to the Danes who brought their ships up the River Lea. The Great Bed of Ware (alluded to in Twelfth Night) was in Ware Park (now a sanatorium).

    Watton
    Watone: Ansketel from Archbishop of Canterbury; Westminster Abbey, Godwin from Count Alan; Derman and Alfward from the king.
    Now Watton at Stone. Watton Hall was rebuilt in 1636; an inscription reads 'Watton Hall alias Watkins Hall'.

    Wellbury
    Welle: a freeman from the king.
    Now 2 hamlets, New and Old Wellbury.

    Welwyn
    Welga / Welge / Wilga / Wilge: Bishop of Chester; Robert de Pont-Chardon from Robert Gernon; William d'Eu and William Delamere from him; Roger from Geoffrey de Bec, formerly Queen Edith; a priest from the king. Mill.
    Small town close to Welwyn Garden City, on the site of a Roman villa and probably a temple; Norman church with Roman bricks.

    Westmill
    We(t)mele: Ansketel from Robert Gernon; Roger from Ralph de Tosny. 4 mills.
    Thatched cottage belonged to Charles Lamb; museum of Westmill relics dating back to Roman times.

    Weston
    Westone: William d'Eu. Mill.
    The Norman church was given to the Knights Templars by Gilbert Strongbow whose son captured most of Ireland for Henry II in the late 12th century. Jack O'Legs, a gigantic highwayman, is buried here.

    Wheathampstead
    Watamestede: Westminster Abbey. 4 mills.
    On the River Lea. The heath of No Man's Land was the dividing line between the domains of St. Alban's Church and of Westminster Abbey.

    Wickham
    Wicheham: Bishop of London and Humphrey and 2 men-at-arms from him; Geoffrey de Mandeville and a freeman and 2 men-at-arms from him; Roger and Osbert from Geoffrey de Bec.
    Wickham Field.

    Widford
    Wideford(e): Bishop of London and Theodbert from him. Mill.
    John Elliot of Widford preached the Gospel to the Red Indians. His psalm book was the first book printed in America.

    Wigginton
    Wigentone: Humphrey from Count of Mortain, formerly Queen Edith. Mill.
    Pre-Saxon Grim's Dyke nearby. James Osborne, who won the VC in the Zulu Wars, is buried here.

    Willian
    Wilie: Geoffrey de Bec.
    Within the green belt of Letchworth Garden City.

    Windridge
    Wenriga / rige: Geoffrey de Bec from St. Alban's Church; Ralph from Geoffrey de Bec.

    Woolwicks
    Wluueneuuiche:
    Lost.

    Wormley
    Wermelai: Canons of Waltham; Widmund from Count Alan; Alwin Dodson from the king. 50 eels.
    Norman church on Roman Ermine Street; last home of the topographist Richard Gough (d.1809).

    Wyddial
    Widihale: Hardwin of Scales.

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2017 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved