[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?
  • External Links

  • Herefordshire History and Archaeology site
  • Herefordshire M-Z and Welsh entries

    Click here for details Click here for details
    M

    Madley
    Medelagie: Hereford Church.

    Mansell Gamage
    Malveselle: Roger de Lacy, formerly Aelfled , a woman.

    Mansell Lacy
    Malveselle: Gruffydd of Maredudd.

    Marden
    Maurdine: King's land; Roger de Lacy; Stephen. Mill, fishery.
    St. Ethelbert's well.

    Marston
    Merstune: Herman de Dreaux.

    Marston Stannett
    Merstune: King's land, formerly Queen Edith; Godmund from Roger de Lacy; William d'Ecouis; Rayner Carpenter.

    Mathon
    Matma / e: Odo from Roger de Lacy; Aethelhelm from Drogo FitzPoyntz; Urso and Walter Ponther from Pershore Church. Mill.
    Scattered.

    Maund Bryan
    Mage(ne) / Magga / -e: Nigel the Doctor; Roger de Lacy and William from him; William d'Ecouis.
    Maund Court and Common nearby.

    Mawfield
    Malfelle: Ingelrann from Roger de Lacy.
    Farms.

    Middleton on the Hill
    Miceltune: King's land held by Bernard from Durand the Sheriff.
    Scattered. Moor Abbey, a moated house, once belonged to the monks of Leominster. One of only 14 villages in Britain to be '
    doubly thankful'; that is, to have seen the safe return of all its inhabitants who fought in both world wars.

    Middlewood
    Midewde: Gilbert FitzThorold, formerly Earl Harold.

    Middlewood
    Mideurde:
    Lost.

    Miles Hope
    Hope: King's land.

    Milton
    Mildetune: Osbern FitzRichard.

    Moccas
    Moches: St. Guthlac's Church; Ansfrid from Nigel the Doctor.
    Castle site.

    Monkland
    Leine: St. Peter's of Castellion from Ralph de Tosny. Mill (25 sticks of eels).
    The 19th century compiler of hymns, Sir Henry Baker, was vicar here.

    Monnington
    Manetune / itone: Alfred of Marlborough, formerly Earl Harold.
    Monnington Court.

    Monnington on Wye
    Manitune: Roger from Ralph de Tosny, formerly Earl Harold.

    Moor
    More:
    Lost.

    Moreton Jeffreys
    Mortune: Hereford Church.
    Isolated.

    Moreton on Lugg
    Mortune: Hereford Church. Mill.
    Large; Moreton Hall.

    Much Cowarne
    Cuure: Alfred of Marlborough, formerly Earl Harold.
    Scattered; Leighton Court.

    Much Marcle
    Merchelai: King's land, formerly Earl Harold; Lyre Church; William FitzBaderon. Mill.
    Castle mound.

    Munsley
    Moneslai / Muleslage / Muneslai: Ralph from Roger de Lacy; William FitzBaderon; William FitzNorman; Humphrey de Bouville.
    Remote.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    N

    Nash
    Hech: Osbern FitzRichard.
    Ford.

    Newton
    Neutone: Osbern FitzRichard.
    Newton Court.

    Newton
    Newentone / Niwetune: King's land held by William d'Ecouis and Bernard from him.
    Scattered.

    Norton Canon
    Nortune: Hereford Church.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    O

    Ocle Pychard
    Acle: Roger de Lacy.

    Orleton
    Alretune: Ralph de Mortimer, formerly Edith.
    Large. The 13th century Adam of Orleton became Bishop of Worcester, Hereford and Winchester.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    P

    Pembridge
    Penebruge: Alfred of Marlborough, formerly Earl Harold. Mill.
    Small town with a Tudor market hall.

    Pedwardine
    Pedewrde: Ralph de Mortimer.

    Pipe
    Pipe: Hereford Church.
    One of only 14 villages in Britain to be '
    doubly thankful'; that is, to have seen the safe return of all its inhabitants who fought in both world wars.

    Pixley
    Picheslei: Ansfrid de Cormeilles; Humphrey de Bouville.

    Pontrilas (formerly Elvastone)
    Elwistone: Alfred of Marlborough from the king.

    Pontshill
    Panchille: Durand of Gloucester.

    Poston
    Poscetenetune: Ralph from William d'Ecouis.
    Poston House, outside Vowchurch. An Iron Age fort is nearby.

    Preston on Wye
    Prestretune: Hereford Church. Mill.

    Preston Wynne
    Prestretune: Hereford Church.
    Court Farm.

    Priors Frome
    Frome: St. Peter's of Hereford; Henry de Ferrers; Ilbert FitzThorold.

    Puddleston
    Pillesdune: Roger de Lacy.
    Scattered; Ford Abbey; Puddleston Court, now a school.

    Putley
    Poteslepe: William from Roger de Lacy.
    Putley Court.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    R

    Richard's Castle
    Auretone: Robert Gernon; Osbern FitzRichard. Mill (15 sticks of eels).
    Remains of a castle built by Richard FitzScrob before the Conquest and later rebuilt by the Mortimers.

    Risbury
    Riseberie: William d'Ecouis from the king. Mill.
    Iron Age fort nearby.

    Ross
    Rosse: Hereford Church. Mill.
    A market town and 19th century resort.

    Rotherwas
    Retrowas: Gilbert FitzThorold.
    Suburb of Hereford.

    Rowden
    Ruedene: King's land; Ralph the chaplain's wife and her son Walter.
    Abbey.

    Rushock
    Ruiscop: King's land and William d'Ecouis, formerly Earl Harold.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    S

    Sarnesfield
    Sarnesfelde: King's land; Roger de Lacy; Ralph de Tosny. Fishery (600 eels).
    John Abel, 17th century architect of timber-framed houses, is buried in the church.

    Sawbury
    Salberga / Sargeberie:
    Lost.

    Shelwick
    Scelwiche: Hereford Church. Mill.

    Shirley
    Sirelei: Ralph de Mortimer.
    Farm.

    Shobdon
    Scepedune: Ralph de Mortimer, formerly Edith.
    Castle mound; church founded as a priory in 1140 by Hugh Mortimer's chief steward.

    Soller's Hope
    Hope: Richard from Ansfrid de Cormeilles.

    Stanford Bishop
    Stanford: King's land, formerly Queen Edith; Thurstan from Roger de Lacy. Mill.

    Stanway
    Stanewei:
    Lost.

    Staunton on Arrow
    Stantune: Ralph de Mortimer; Drogo from Osbern FitzRichard.
    The court of Noke Manor House; mill.

    Staunton on Wye
    Standune / tune: Leofric and William from Roger de Lacy.

    Stockton
    Stoctune: King's land, formerly Queen Edith.
    House built on the site of a Dark Ages settlement.

    Stoke Edith
    Stoches: Ralph de Tosny, formerly Queen Edith. Mill.
    Remains of an estate belonging to the Foley family.

    Stoke Lacy
    Stoches: Roger de Lacy. Mill.

    Stoke Prior
    Stoca: King's land, formerly Queen Edith.
    Once a Roman settlement.

    Strangford
    Etone: Hugh de Lasne. 2 sesters of honey.

    Street
    Lestret / Strete: King's land; Roger de Lacy.
    Street Court.

    Stretford
    Stratford: Thurstan from Alfred of Marlborough, formerly Earl Harold.
    Ancient ford; Roman road.

    Stretton
    Stratone: Robert from Roger de Lacy; Vitalis from Hugh de Lasne.
    Stretton Court.

    Stretton Grandison
    Stratune: William FitzBaderon, formerly Earl Harold.
    New House; once a Roman settlement.

    Sugwas
    Sucwessen: Hereford Church, formerly held wrongfully by Earl Harold.
    Part of Stretton Sugwas.

    Sutton St. Michael
    St. Nicholas Su(d)tune: Nigel the Doctor; Hugh de Lasne. 2 mills (8 and 7 sticks of eels).
    Now 2 villages, Sutton St. Michael and St. Nicholas. Nearby Sutton Walls is said to have been the site of King Offa's palace, where Ethelbert was murdered.

    Swanstone
    Suenestun: Godmund from Roger de Lacy.
    Swanston Court.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    T

    Tarrington
    Tatintune: Ansfrid from Roger de Lacy; Ansfrid de Cormeilles.
    The 19th century geologist Sir Roderick Murchison studied local strata here, as described in his Silurian System.

    Tedstone
    Tedesthorne / Tetistorp: Hereford Church; Roger de Lacy.
    Now the hamlet of Tedstone Delamere (whose church has Saxon remains) and village of Tedstone Wafre, both named after medieval knights; Roman fort nearby.

    Thinghill
    Tingehalle / hele: St. Guthlac's Church; Geoffrey from Nigel the Doctor.
    14th century Thinghill Grange.

    Thornbury
    Torneberie: Alfred d'Epagne.
    Scattered. Birthplace of Roger Mortimer and Robert, Earl of Essex, Elizabeth I's last lover. Wall Hills, an Iron Age fort, is nearby.

    Thruxton
    Torchestone: Bernard from Durand of Gloucester.
    Round barrow, probably Bronze Age.

    Titley
    Titel(l)ege: Osbern FitzRichard, formerly Earl Harold.
    Titley Court; a section of Offa's Dyke nearby.

    Treville
    Triueline: King's land. Wood.
    Treville Wood.

    Tupsley
    Topeslage: Hereford Church. Mill.
    Suburb of Hereford.

    Tyberton
    Tibrintintune: Hereford Church.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    U

    Ullingswick
    Ullingwic: Hereford Church.

    Upleadon
    Lede(n): St. Peter's from Roger de Lacy; Albert de Lorraine, formerly Edith, sister of Earl Oda. Mill.
    Upleadon Court Farm.

    Upton
    Up(e)tone: King's land; Roger de Mussegros.
    Part of Brimfield.

    Upton Bishop
    Uptune: Hereford Church; Upton Court.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    V

    Venn's Green
    Fenne: William FitzNorman.

    Vern, The
    Ferne: William FitzNorman.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    W

    Walford
    Waliford / e: Ralph de Mortimer.
    Castle mound; Court House.

    Walford (near Ross)
    Walecford: Hereford Church.
    Watford Court.

    Walsopthorne
    Walesapeldor: Gerald from William FitzBaderon.
    House.

    Wapley
    Wapletone: King's land; Osbern FitzRichard.
    Site of an Iron Age fort associated by legend with the Ancient British King Caractacus.

    Warham
    Werham: Hereford Church.
    On the outskirts of Hereford.

    Webton
    Webetone: Bernard and Gerald from Roger de Lacy.

    Wellington
    Walintone: Hugh de Lasne and Ralph from him. 2 mills.
    Large.

    Welson
    Ulfelmestune: King's land, formerly Earl Harold.
    Now 2 small villages, Upper and Lower Welson.

    Weobley
    Wibelai: Roger de Lacy. Park.
    Large. The ruined castle was the scene of King John's surrender to William de Braose.

    Westhide
    Hide: Ralph de Tosny, formerly Edith; Tesselin from Roger de Lacy.

    Weston
    Westune:
    Lost.

    Weston Beggard
    Westune: Roger de Lacy. Mill.

    Weston under Penyard
    Bernard from Durand of Gloucester.
    Stone built; castle remains. The site of the Roman settlement of Ariconium is nearby.

    Wharton
    Wavertune: King's land; William d'Ecouis. Mill.

    Whitney
    Witenie: King's land; Harold from St. Guthlac's Church.
    On the edge of the Wye flood plain; the poet Christopher Harvey was vicar here in the early 17th century.

    Whitwick
    Witewiche: William FitzBaderon, formerly Earl Harold.
    Manor.

    Whyle
    Huilech: Osbern FitzRichard.

    Wicton
    Wigetune: Urse d'Abetot and Roger de Lacy by exchange from him.
    Farm.

    Willersley
    Willaveslege: Ralph de Tosny, formerly Earl Harold; a Welshman.
    Willersley Court.

    Wilmastone
    Wilmestune: Hugh de Lasne. Mill.
    Farm.

    Wilton
    Wiltone: King's land, formerly Earl Harold; William FitzBaderon.
    Elizabethan bridge over the River Wye; ruined castle.

    Winforton
    Widferdestune: Ralph de Tosny, formerly Earl Harold and a Welshman from him.
    Winforton Court.

    Winnall
    Wilehalle: Picot from Gilbert FitzThorold.

    Withington
    Widingtune: Hereford Church. Mill.
    Large; on a Roman road; famous for its tile works in the 19th century.

    Wolferlow
    Ulferlau: Ralph de Mortimer; Hugh and Walter from Roger de Lacy.
    Scattered; Roman fort nearby.

    Woolhope
    Hope: Hereford Church.
    The church is thought to have been given to Hereford Cathedral by Wulviva, sister of Godiva.

    Woonton
    Wennetune: King's land; Roger de Lacy.

    Woonton
    Wenetone: Gerald from Roger de Lacy.

    Wormsley
    Wermeslai / Wrmesleu: Hereford Church; Leofric from Roger de Lacy.
    Scattered; Wormsley Grange.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    Y

    Yarkhill
    Achel: Roger de Lacy, formerly a thane of Earl Harold. Mill.

    Yarpole
    Iarpol(e): King's land; Leofwin Latimer; Robert Gernon.

    Yarsop
    Ardes / Edreshope / Erdeshop / sope: Hereford Church; Robert from Roger de Lacy; William d'Ecouis; Ralph the chaplain's wife.

    Yatton
    Getune: King's land.
    Scattered.

    Yazor
    Iavesoure: Robert from Roger de Lacy.
    House of Sir Uvedale Price, 19th century theorist of the English Picturesque.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Welsh Entries

    Burlingjobb
    Berchelincon: King's land.
    Limestone quarry nearby.

    Cascob
    Cascope: Osbern FitzRichard.

    Clatterbrune
    Clatretune:
    Lost.

    Discoed
    Discote: Osbern FitzRichard.
    Castle mound; a section of Offa's Dyke nearby.

    Harpton
    Hertune: Ralph de Mortimer; Osbern FitzRichard.

    Monmouth
    Monemude: King's land; William FitzBaderon. 3 mills, church belonging to St. Florent's of Saumur. 33 sesters of honey.
    Market town with the remains of 2 castles, one built by Roger de Montgomery c.1070. Iron Age and Roman settlement; birthplace of the 17th century poet George Herbert.

    Old Radnor
    Raddrenoue: King's land, formerly Earl Harold.
    Castle remains; once a base for King Harold.

    Pilleth on Lugg
    Pelelei: Ralph de Mortimer.
    Castle remains. Nant-y-Groes was the house of Dr. John Dee, 16th century mathematician and astrologer.

    Weston
    Westune: Ralph de Mortimer.
    Part of Llangunllo.

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2017 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved