[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?
  • Gloucestershire G-P

    Click here for details Click here for details
    G

    Gaunts Earthcott
    Herdicote: Robert from Bishop of Coutances.

    Gloucester
    Glouuescestre: King's land; Gloucester Abbey both before and after 1066. 5 fisheries, mill.
    Cathedral city, formerly Roman; 18th century and older houses. The 'New' Inn is a 15th century Pilgrims' Hostel. William I commissioned the Domesday survey here at his Christmas council in 1085.

    Gossington
    Gosintune: King's land.

    Gotherington
    Godrinton: Thurstan FitzRolf from Bishop of Worcester.
    Expanding.

    Great Barrington
    Berni(n)tone: King's land; Walter FitzRoger from the king. 3 mills.
    Barrington Park House is a mid-18th century mansion with a deer park.

    Great Colesbourne
    Colesborne / burne: Swein, Walter FitzRoger and Ansfrid de Cormeilles from Bishop of Worcester. 2 mills.
    Remains of a mansion; great park with beautiful trees.

    Great Rissington
    Risedune: Robert de Tosny. Mill.
    Tudor manor house, near a disused RAF airfield.

    Great Washbourne
    Waseburne: Tewkesbury Church from the king.

    Guiting Power
    Getinge: William Goizenboded. 2 mills, 5 salthouses (20 packloads of salt).

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    H

    Hailes
    Heile: William Leofric. Mill.
    Remains of a great Cistercian abbey founded in 1246.

    Hambrook
    Hanbroc:
    Lost.

    Hampen
    Hagenepene / Hagepine: Ansgar from Archbishop of York.

    Hampnett
    Hantone: Roger d'Ivry.

    Hanham
    Hanun: Hunbald from Arnulf de Hesdin.
    Suburb of Bristol.

    Hardwicke
    Herdeuuic: Westminster Abbey.
    The first 'Borstal', opened in 1852, was in the grounds of Hardwicke Court.

    Harescombe
    Hersecome: King's land.

    Haresfield
    Hersefel(d): King's land.
    Bisected by a railway line; 3000 Roman coins were found here in 1837.

    Harford
    Hurford: Gilbert FitzTurold. Mill.
    Lower Harford Farm.

    Harnhill
    Harehille: Roger from Ralph de Tosny.
    16th century manor house.

    Harry Stoke
    Estoch: Theobald from Bishop of Coutances.

    Hasfield
    Hasfelde: Thurstan FitzRolf from Westminster Abbey.
    Much altered medieval manor house, home of the Pauncefoot family until 1598.

    Hatherop
    Etherope / Hetrope: William from Roger de Lacy; Arnulf de Hesdin. Mill.
    Manor house with park and model village (1860s).

    Hawksbury
    Havochesberie: Pershore Abbey. 3 mills.
    Scattered; imposing monument to Lord Rupert Somerset, 1846.

    Hawling
    Hallinge: Sigar de Chocques, formerly Countess Goda.
    Manor house.

    Hayes
    Hege:
    Lost.

    Hazleton (near Northleach)
    Hasedene: Sigar de Chocques, formerly Countess Goda.

    Hazleton (in Rodmarton)
    Hasedene: Roger d'Ivry. mill.
    Hazleton Manor Farm.

    Hempsted
    Hechanestede: King's land. fishery.
    Gloucester. Newark House was built in 1501; behind it is the site of a Roman camp.

    Henbury
    Henberie: Bishop of Worcester.
    Within Bristol city's boundary; Blaise Castle House, a Folk Museum; 18th century Blaise Castle.

    Hentage
    Humphrey from the king.
    In Alderton village.

    Hewelsfield
    Hiwoldestone: William FitzBaderon; this land is by the king's order, in the Forest.
    Between two stretches of the Forest of Dean.

    Hidcote Bartrim
    Hidi / Hedecote: 2 men-at-arms from Evesham Abbey.
    Hidcote Manor's gardens were created by Lawrence Johnston in 1905.

    Hidcote Boyce
    Winchcombe Abbey.

    Highnam
    Hamme: Gloucester Abbey.
    Cromwellian manor house.

    Hilcot
    Willecote: Ansketel from Bishop of Worcester.

    Hill
    Hilla: King's land; Roger holds the land of Bernard the priest.
    Manor house. Sir Francis Fust built the Great Sewer at Hill Pill in 1750.

    Hillsley
    Hildeslei: Bernard from Thurstan FitzRolf. 3 mills.

    Hinton (in Sharpness)
    King's land.

    Horfield
    Horefelle: King's land.
    Part of Bristol.

    Horsley
    Horselei: Troarn Church, formerly Countess Goda. Mill.

    Horton
    Horedone: Robert de Tosny. Mill.
    Norman and Tudor manor house, The Court.

    Hucclecote
    Hochilicote: Archbishop of York. Mill.
    Suburb of Gloucester, on a prehistoric and Roman site.

    Hullasey
    Hunlafesed: King's land.
    Hullasey House in Tarlton.

    Huntley
    Huntelei: William FitzBaderon.
    Manor house.

    Hurst
    Hirslege: Roger from the king.
    Hurst Farm; Old Hurst Farm.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    I

    Icomb
    Ic(c)umb: Walter from Durand the Sheriff.

    Icomb Place
    Ic(c)umb: Ralph from Roger de Lacy.
    Medieval manor house in Icomb hamlet.

    Idleberg
    Ildeberga: Evesham Abbey.
    Lost. The Four Shire Stone, marking the meeting-place of Gloucestershire, Warwickshire and Oxfordshire is all that remains.

    Iron Acton
    Actune: Humphrey the Chamberlain. 1 mills.
    Several old manor houses.

    Itchington
    Icetune: Constantine from Bishop of Worcester.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    K

    Kemble
    Chemele: Malmesbury Abbey. 2 mills.

    Kempley
    Chenepelei: Roger de Lacy.
    St. Mary's Church has unique 12th century frescoes.

    Kempsford
    Chenemeresforde: Arnulf de Hesdin. 4 mills.
    The church tower is all that remains of a castle built by John of Gaunt for his wife Blanche in 1359.

    Ketford
    Chitiford: Ansfrid de Cormeilles.

    Kilcot
    Chilecot: Ansfrid de Cormeilles.

    'Kings Barton'
    Bertune: King's land. Mill. 20 cows, 20 pigs, 16s for bread, formerly 3000 loaves for dogs.
    Part of Gloucester.

    Kingscote
    Chingescote: King's land.
    Given as a dowry to William I's niece on her marriage to the King of Denmark's grandson.

    King's Stanley
    Stantone: Thurstan FitzRolf; Tovi. 2 mills.
    Small town. Stanley Mills, c.1812, is the largest of the Stroud Valley cloth mills.

    Kingsweston
    Westone: King's land.
    Part of Bristol.

    Knowle
    Canole: Osbern Giffard.
    Part of Bristol.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    L

    Lasborough
    Lesseberge: Hugh from Gilbert Bishop of Lisieux.
    Manor house; ancient barn.

    Lassington
    Lesedune: Roger from Archbishop of York.
    Part Saxon church; famous 600-year-old Lassington Oak.

    Lechlade
    Lecelade: Henry de Ferrers. 3 mills. A fishery.
    Near 3 rivers; 2 mills on the Leach; several fine old Georgian houses.

    Leckhampton
    Lechametone / antone: William Leofric; Brictric from the king.
    Adjacent to Cheltenham. Stone for Regency Cheltenham came from a pinnacle of rock called Devil's Chimney.

    Lee
    Lega:
    Lost.

    Leigh
    Lalege: St. Denis's Church, Paris.

    Leonard Stanley
    Stanlege: Ralph de Berkeley.
    Small town adjoining Kings Stanley; remains of a Saxon church; tithe barn; site of an old priory.

    Little Barrington
    Berni(n)tone: Ralph from William Goizenboded. Mill.

    Little Colesbourne
    Colesborne / burne: Ansketel from Bishop of Worcester.

    Little Lydney
    Ledenei: William FitzBaderon. Mill. fishery in the Wye.
    Remains of a 13th century castle.

    Little Rissington
    Risendone / dune: Robert d'Oilly. 2 mills.

    Little Sodbury
    Sopeberie: Hugh from Gilbert, Bishop of Lisieux.
    15th century manor house.

    Little Taynton
    Tatinton: William FitzNorman.
    Possibly Taynton Pound Farm.

    Littleton
    Litentune:
    Lost.

    Littleton-on-Severn
    Liteltone: Malmesbury Abbey. Church.

    Little Washbourne
    Waseburne: Urso of Worcester.

    Longborough
    Langeberge: Count of Mortain; Humphrey the Chamberlain.

    Longhope
    Hope: William FitzBaderon. Mill.

    Long Newnton
    Newentone: Malmesbury Abbey and Osbern, William and a man-at-arms from the abbey. 2 mills.
    Scattered.

    Lower Hampen
    Hegenepene:
    Lost.

    Lower Lemington
    Lemingtune / Limentone: Tewkesbury Church from the king.
    On a Saxon site.

    Lower Slaughter
    Sclostre: King's land. 2 mills.
    19th century corn mill; manor (1640) with a dovecote.

    Lower Swell
    Su(u)elle: William d'Eu; Drogo from Ralph de Tosny. Mill.
    Roman and Saxon remains; odd-looking 1810 Spa House by a mineral spring; Hyde Mill on the River Dikler.

    Lower Turkdean
    Turchedene / Turghedene: Geoffrey from William Leofric.
    Separated from Upper Turkdean by a bank.

    Lydney
    Lindenee: King's land. Mill.
    Small industrial town on a Saxon site. Roman remains were found in Lydney Park.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    M

    Madgett
    Modiete: King's land with Roger de Lacy and Malmesbury Abbey each holding a fishery; William d'Eu from the king. 4 fisheries (claimed by William d'Eu) in the Wye.
    Madgett's Farm.

    Mangotsfield
    Manegodesfelle: Bristol Church from the king.
    Suburb of Bristol. W.G. Grace was born in Downend House, 1848.

    Marshfield
    Meresfelde: King's land, formerly Queen Edith.
    Small town of Georgian and earlier houses; Nicholas Crispe's almshouses date from 1625. The Three Shire Stone is near a fine mansion called The Rocks.

    Maugersbury
    Malgeresberiae: Evesham Abbey. Mill.
    Manor.

    Meysey Hampton
    Hantone: Thorold, Wigot's nephew from Earl Roger.
    Old farms, cottages; 16th century rectory.

    Mickleton
    Mucletude: Eynsham Abbey.
    Large; part Saxon church; Queen Anne manor house.

    Minchinhampton
    Hanton: Holy Trinity Church, Caen, formerly Countess Goda. 8 mills.
    Small 'wool' town. Gatcombe Park and Lammas Park houses. It has a 17th century market house.

    Miserden
    Grenhamstede: Hascoit Musard.
    Late Saxon church. Miserden Park is Elizabethan, enlarged by Sir Edward Lutyens.

    Mitcheldean
    Dene: William FitzNorman.
    Small town; much new housing; old timbered houses.

    Mitton
    Bishop of Worcester.
    Suburb of Tewkesbury.

    Moorcroft
    Morcote: William FitzNorman.
    Moorcroft House.

    Moreton-in-Marsh
    Mortune: Alfrith from Westminster Abbey before and after 1066.
    Small town with the Roman Fosse Way forming its main street; medieval Curfew Tower; 17th century Creswyke House.

    Moreton Valence
    Mortune: Durand the Sheriff.
    On a busy road.

    Morton
    Mortune:
    Lost.

    Morwents End
    Mereuuent: Gloucester Abbey before and after 1066.
    Possibly part of the small village of Murrells End.

    Murrells End
    Nigel the Doctor from the king.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    N

    Nass
    Nest: King's land, formerly Earl Harold. Fishery.
    Naas Court and Naas House in Lydney.

    Natton
    Etone / Natone: King's land; Tewkesbury Church.

    Naunton
    Niwetone: Robert d'Oilly, Cwenhild the nun from the king. Mill.
    Just one long street; 15th century dovecote with 1,000 openings.

    Naunton (in Toddington)
    Niwetone: 2 men-at-arms from Winchcombe Abbey.
    Naunton Farm in Toddington.

    Newent
    Noent: Cormeilles Abbey; Durand from the Abbot; William FitzBaderon (by force); King's land held by the Abbot and William and Osbern FitzRichard. Mill.
    Small town; much new housing; Bronze Age and Roman finds; gabled Tudor market house.

    Newington Bagpath
    Neueton: Roger from the king.
    The last 2 men hanged for highway robbery are buried here.

    Newnham
    Neuneham: William FitzBaderon.
    Little town on the River Severn; mostly Georgian houses, some with old rope walks down to the river.

    Norcote
    Nor(t)cote: Reinbald the Priest; Humphrey the Chamberlain.

    North Cerney
    Cernei: St. Oswald's of Gloucester from Archbishop of York before and after 1066; Gilbert FitzThorold. 2 mills.
    North Cerney House, c.1780.

    Northleach
    Lecce: Archbishop of York. 2 mills.
    Large; formerly an important wool town; 17th century manor house; 16th century almshouses.

    Notgrove
    Nategraue: Azelin from Bishop of Worcester.
    Excavated Long Barrow nearby.

    Nympsfield
    Nimdesfelle: King's land.
    Long Barrow known as Hetty Pegler's Tump.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    O

    Oakley
    Achelie: Gerard from Roger de Lacy; Oswulf from Gilbert FitzTurold; Thurstan FitzRolf.
    Oakley Wood.

    Oddington
    Otintune: Archbishop of York.
    Oddington House.

    Oldbury
    Aldeberie:
    Lost.

    Oldbury on the Hill
    Aldeberie: Arnulf de Hesdin.
    Church, used once a year.

    Oldland
    Aldelande: Osbern Giffard.
    Town with much new housing.

    Old Sodbury
    Sopeberie: King's land. Park, 2 mills.
    Ancient 12 acre British and Roman camp.

    Olveston
    Alvestone: Bath Church.

    Oridge Street
    Tereige: William FitzBaderon from Westminster Abbey.

    Oxenhall
    Horsenehal: Roger de Lacy.

    Oxenton
    Oxendone: King's land.

    Ozleworth
    Osleuuorde: King's land.
    Church with a unique 6-sided tower; Mansion House built on the site of an old mill; farms; 16th century Newark park.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    P

    Painswick
    Wiche: Roger de Lacy and Cirencester Church. 4 mills.
    Small 'wool' town with many fine 17th century and Georgian houses; mill; a hill called Paradise; Adam and Eve Inn.

    Pamington
    Pamintonie: King's land.

    Pauntley
    Pantelie: Ansfrid de Cormeilles.
    Said to be the birthplace of Dick Whittington.

    Pegglesworth
    Peclesurde: Robert from Bishop of Worcester.
    On the Cotswold Way.

    Pinbury
    Penneberie: Holy Trinity Church, Caen. Mill.
    Pinbury Park.

    Pinnock
    Pignocsire: Alfwold from the king. Mill.
    Pinnock Farm.

    Poole Keynes
    Pole: Azelin from Edward of Salisbury. Mill.

    Postlip
    Poteslepe: Ansfrid de Cormeilles. 2 mills.
    Restored medieval manor; mill on the River Isbourne.

    Poulton (in Awre)
    Pontune: King's land.
    Poulton Court.

    Poulton (near Cirencester)
    Pontune: Earl Roger.
    Remains of 14th century Poulton Priory. A house called Ready Token was once the haunt of highwaymen.

    Prestbury
    Presteberie: Bishop of Hereford.
    Joined to Cheltenham by new housing; near Cheltenham racecourse.

    Preston (near Cirencester)
    Prestetune / itune: Reinbald the Priest; Humphrey the Chamberlain.

    Preston (in Dymock) Prestetune: Gloucester Abbey.

    17th century manor house.

    Pucklechurch
    Pulcrecerce: Glastonbury Abbey. 2 mills. 6 men pay 90 lumps of iron.
    Much new development; 17th century houses.

    Purton
    Peritone / tune: Earl William.
    On the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal and bisected by the River Severn.

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2017 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved