[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?
  • Essex T-Z

    Click here for details Click here for details
    T

    Takeley
    Tacheleia: St. Valéry; Eudo the Steward; Robert Gernon. mill. 5 beehives. 90 goats, 600 pigs, 3 cows, 20 cattle, 103 sheep.

    Tendring
    Tenderinge / -inga: Roger from Bishop of London; Count Eustace and Richard from him; Walter from Robert Gernon; Ranulf Peverel; Modwin. 3 beehives.

    Terling
    Terlinga(s): Richard from Ranulf Peverel; Ranulf Peverel. 2 mills, 2 Colchester houses. 2 foals, 16 goats.
    Working smock mill. Henry VIII had a palace here, now vanished. Terling Place is set in magnificent parkland.

    Tey
    Teia: Count Eustace. Mill.
    Now the village of Great Tey and hamlet of Little Tey; 12th century church at Great Tey.

    Thaxted
    Tachesteda: Richard FiztGilbert. Mill. 16 beehives. 4 cobs, 128 pigs, 36 cattle, 320 sheep.
    Town, the original source of thatch. Known for its cutlery in the 14th and 15th centuries. Old Tower Mill.

    Theydon Bois, Garnon and Mount
    Taindena / Teidana: Robert from Swein of Essex; Eudo the Steward; Peter de Valognes; William FitzConstantine. 18 beehives, 2 mills. 3 cosb, 3 foals, 92 pigs, 157 sheep, 15 goats.
    Now the two hamlets of Theydon Garnon and Mount, and the village of Theydon Bois with modern housing. Theydon Garnon was granted a market and fair in 1305 and Theydon Mount has a park and church.

    Thorpe(hall)
    Thorp: Odo from Ranulf, brother of Ilger. 4 beehives.

    Thorrington
    Torinduna: Ralph from Bishop of Bayeux. Mill, salthouse.
    The church is approached through a farmyard.

    Thunderley
    Tunreslea: Ralph from Aubrey de Vere. 5 beehives.
    Thunderley Hall in Wimbish.

    Thundersley
    Thunreslea: Swein of Essex. 2 beehives.
    The heathen God Thunor's clearing, on a precipitous hill, screened by trees.

    Thurrock
    Turoc(ha) / Turroc / Turruc: Hugh and Ansketel from Bishop of Bayeux; Count d'Eu; William Peverel. 2 fisheries. 3 cobs, 683 sheep, 10 cows, 4 calves, 2 cattle.
    Now the town of Grays Thurrock (sometimes called Grays) and West Thurrock, an industrial area.

    Tilbury
    Tiliberia / Tilibiam: Ranulf from William de Warenne; Osbern and Ralph from Swein of Essex; Hunwald from Theodoric Pointel. 12 foals, 31 cattle, 260 sheep. Fishery.
    Now 2 villages, East and West Tilbury, near the port of Tilbury.

    Tilbury juxta Clare
    Tiliberia: Tihel le Breton.

    Tillingham
    Tillingham: Canons of St. Paul's. Mill, fishery.
    Belongs to the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's, possibly since the foundation of St. Paul's (c.604) as cathedral of East Saxons.

    Tilty
    Tileteia: Henry de Ferrers.
    Cistercian abbey site.

    Tollesbury
    Tolesberia: Barking Abbey before and after 1066; Amalfid from Count Eustace. Fishery, 3 salthouses. 2 cobs, 10 cattle, 300 sheep.
    Centre of oyster fishing, near the Blackwater estuary; Saxon / Norman church on a Roman site.

    Tolleshunt
    Toleshunta, Tollensumte: Bishop of Bayeux; Count Eustace and Adelulf and St. Martin's from him; Odo from Swein of Essex; Humphrey from Hugh de Montfort; Robert de Verly from Robert Gernon; Bernard from Ralph Baynard; Humphrey from Ranulf Peverel; Mauger from Robert FitzCorbucion; Gundwin. 13 salthouse, 8 beehives. 560 sheep, 38 goats, 3 cobs, 2 cows, calf, 20 cattle.
    Now 2 villages, Tolleshunt D'Arcy and Tolleshunt Major and hamlet of Tolleshunt Knight. The church of D'Arcy contains D'Arcy family treasure; a knight is carved in effigy in Tolleshunt Knight's church. Tolleshunt Major takes its name from Mauger, the Domesday tenant.

    Toppersfield
    Topesfelda / -felde: Bernard from Count Eustace; Hamo the Steward; Ralph and 'G' from Richard FitzGilbert. 4 beehives, vines.
    Old houses.

    Totham
    Tot(e)ham: William FitzBrian and William Bold from Bishop of London; Gunner, the pre-Conquest holder from Swein of Essex; Hugh FitzMauger from Hugh de Montfort; Richard from Hamo the Steward. 5 salthouses. 18 goats.
    Now 2 villages of Great and Little Totham.

    Twinstead
    Turnesteda: 18 freemen from Richard FitzGilbert.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    U

    Ugley
    Ugghelea: Ralph from Aubrey de Vere. 2 beehives. 4 cobs, 20 goats.
    Charming, belying its name; originally may have been called Oakley.

    Uleham
    Uleham: Hugh from Bishop of London.
    Uleham's Farm, near Latchingdon.

    Ulting
    Ultinga: Gerard from Ralph Baynard. 2 mills, 2 beehives. 4 cobs.

    Upminster
    Upmonstra / Upmunstra / tre: Canons of Waltham; Mauger from Bishop of Bayeux; Walter de Douai.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    V

    Vange
    Phenge: FitzThorold from Bishop of Bayeux; Serlo from Ranulf Peverel. Fishery, mill. 270 sheep.
    Until the 17th century flooding was a perennial problem; in 1620 the Government employed Dutchmen to set up stout walls.

    Virley
    Salcota: Robert de Verly from Robert Gernon.
    With Salcott.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    W

    Wallbury
    Walla: Richard FitzGilbert.
    Wallbury Camp, on early Iron Age settlement, in Little Hallingbury.

    Walter
    Wal(c)fara: Canons of Waltham; Ralph from Bishop of Bayeux; Thorkell the Reeve. 2 beehives.
    Walter Hall.

    Waltham
    Waldham / Waltham: Albert from St. Edmund's Abbey; Lambert from Count Eustace; Geoffrey de Mandeville and Roger from him; 'W' and Ranulf from Robert FitzCorbucion. 4 mills, vines, 20 beehives. 3 cobs, 11 cows, 7 goats.
    Now 2 villages. Great Waltham contains 8 hamlets, and includes the Black Chapel, a leading Essex sight; Little Waltham is across the Chelmer.

    Waltham Holy Cross
    Wal(t)ham: Bishop of Durham. 3 mills, 5 fisheries, 12 London houses, gate.
    Town, now Waltham Abbey. The fine Romanesque parish church was the nave of the collegiate church founded by Harold Godwinson in the late 1050's, which housed a miraculous stone crucifix.

    Wanstead
    Wenesteda: Ralph FitzBrian from Bishop of London. Mill, salthouse.
    Town; includes Wanstead Flats.

    Warley
    War(e)leia: Humphrey from Bishop of London; Barking Abbey before and after 1066; Swein of Essex. Beehive.
    Now the hamlet of Little Warley and village of Great Warley. Its ruined medieval church has been annexed by Greater London. Little Warley contains Essex Regimental Museum.

    Weeley
    Wileia: Eudo the Steward. 12 beehives. 240 sheep.

    Well
    Wella: Ralph and Thorold from Bishop of London.
    Well Farm.

    Wendens
    Wendena: Richard from William de Warenne; Hugh from Robert Gernon; Amalfrid from Ralph Baynard; a freeman from Geoffrey de Mandeville. Mill. 3 foals.
    Now 2 villages: Wenden Lofts, part of Elmdon, and Wendens Ambo, with a Roman-bricked Norman church.

    Wennington
    Wemtuna: Westminster Abbey before and after 1066.

    West Bergholt
    Bercolt(a): Goding from Richard FitzGilbert; Roger de Poitou; Richard FitzGilbert. Mill.
    Stone Age and Roman remains.

    Westend
    Westuna: Adelulf from Count Eustace; Hugh de Houdain from Roger Bigot. Mill.

    West Ham
    Hame: Robert Gernon; Ranulf Peverel. 9 mills. 3 cobs, 6 cows with calves, 30 goats.
    Part of Greater London; famous football club.

    West Mersea
    Meresai(a): St. Ouen's Abbey before and after 1066. 11 cobs, 2 foals, 300 sheep.
    Resort on Mersea Island.

    Wethersfield
    Westrefelda / Witheresfelda: Picot from the king; Stanhard. 2 mills. 40 goats.

    Wheatley
    Watele(a)a: Pointel and Osbern from Bishop of Bayeux; Walter from Swein of Essex; Swein of Essex. 2 fisheries. Cob, foal.

    Wicken (in Wicken Bonhunt)
    Wica: Gilbert FitzThorold. 30 goats.

    Wickford
    Wi(n)cfort: Pointel Osbern, Teher and FitzThorold from Bishop of Bayeux; William FitzOdo and Maynard from Swein of Essex; Modwin; Ilbod. 3 beehives. 3 cobs, 2 foals.

    Wickham Bishops
    Wicham: Bishop of London before and after 1066. Mill.
    Roman-bricked Norman church. 15th century, moated Wickham Hall.

    Wickham St. Paul's
    Wica, Wicham: Canons of St. Paul's before and after 1066; Arnold from Richard FitzGilbert. 2 beehives.

    Widdington
    Widi(n)tuna: St. Valery Abbey; Robert from Robert Gernon; Ranulf Peverel.
    Secluded farmlands.

    Wigborough
    Wi(c)gheberga: Barking Abbey before and after 1066; Vitalis from Hamo the Steward; Algar from Ranulf Peverel; Hugh de St. Quentin; the king claims from Hamo the Steward. 6 salthouses. 490 sheep, 3 cobs, 4 foals, 16 cattle.
    Now the village of Great Wigborough and the area of Little Wigborough, where a Zeppelin raider crashed in 1916.

    Willingale Doe and Spain
    Ulinghehala / Willing(h)ehala: Hervey from Count Alan; Warner from Swein of Essex; Ravenot from Ranulf Peverel; Adam son of Durand Malzor. 5 beehives.
    Once 2 villages, Willingale Doe and Willingale Spain, named after Norman lords d'Eu and d'Epaignes. Their churches stand side by side.

    Wimbish
    Wimbeis: Ralph Baynard, formerly a free woman. 4 beehives.
    Tiptofts Farm, with its famous 14th century open hall, is still working.

    Witham
    Witham: Peter the Sheriff from the king; Richard from Count Eustace; Hugh from Robert Gernon; Modwin. 2 mills, 3 beehives. 150 pigs.

    Wivenhoe
    Wiunhou: Nigel from Robert Gernon. Mill. 20 goats.
    Quay on River Colne opposite Fingrinhoe, to which the ferry sails. Restored church.

    Wix
    Wica: Roger from Hugh de Montfort, formerly Queen Edith; Walter the Deacon, formerly Queen Edith. 10 beehives.
    Pre-Conquest dairy farms existed here. The priory, founded in Henry I's reign was dissolved by Cardinal Wolsey.

    Woodford
    Wdefort: Canons of Waltham before and after 1066. Mill.

    Woodham Ferrers
    Udeham: Henry de Ferrers. Mill. 28 cattle, 15 cobs, 300 sheep, 100 pigs, 35 goats.
    Edwin's Hall, home of Edwin Sandys, Archbishop of York, 1619.

    Woodham Mortimer
    Odeham: Ranulf Peverel.
    Hall where Dr Peter Chamberlain, Physician in Ordinary to James I, Charles I and Charles II, lived.

    Woodham Walter
    Wdeham: Pointel from Ralph Baynard, formerly Leofeva, a woman. 2 mills, 13 beehives. 6 asses.
    Hoe Mill.

    Woolston
    Ulfelmestune: King's land.
    Woolston Hall, c.1600, in Chigwell.

    Wormingford
    Widemondefort: Ilger from Robert Gernon. Mill, fishery, 7 beehives. 33 cattle, 200 sheep, 47 goats.
    Hundreds of Roman urns were discovered here in the 19th century.

    Wrabness
    Wrabenasa: St. Edmund's Abbey before and after 1066. Mill, salthouse, 5 beehives. 2 foals, 200 sheep.

    Writtle
    Wiretala / -tela / Writa / -tela: King's land; Bishop of Hereford. 2 mills. 318 sheep, 172 pigs, 9 cobs, 5 foals, 40 cattle.
    Excavations at its moated site, 'King John's Castle', revealed traces of 13th, 14th and 15th century buildings.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    Y

    Yardley
    Gerdelai: Serlo from Tihel le Breton. 3 beehives.

    Yeldham
    Geld(e)ham / Gerham: Count Eustace; Count Alan; Goismer from Richard FitzGilbert; Walter from Ranulf, brother of Ilger; Bernard from Richard from Richard FitzGilbert.
    Now 2 villages, Great and Little Yeldham.

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2013 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved