Delightful town which specialized in growing saffron crocuses in the Middle Ages. Audley End, now a magnificent example of 17th century architecture, was built on the ruins of a monastery founded by the Mandeville family.
|Waledana: Geoffrey de Mandeville. Mill, 30 beehives.|
St. Lawrence, formerly Newland
Sometimes called St. Lawrence Newland; two ancient farms.
|Niuuelanda, Niwelant: Holy Trinity, Canterbury; 'W' from Ranulf, brother of Ilger.|
Ruins of 12th century priory.
|Cice / Cita: Bishop of London; Count Eustace; Thorold from Ranulf Peverel. Mill. 4 cobs, 18 goats.|
St. Peter's Chapel
Isolated Saxon church.
|Effecestra / cestre: St. Valery; Wulfmer from Hugh de Montfort. Fishery. 216 sheep.|
|Samartuna: Ralph FitzThorold from Bishop of Bayeux.|
|Celdeforda / Esceldeforde / Scaldefort: Otto the Goldsmith from the king; formerly Queen Edith; William the Deacon; Walter Cook. Mill, 5 beehives. 20 goats, 4 cobs.|
|Seeringa: Peter de Valognes. Mill, 3 beehives. Mule, ass.|
|Senleia: Reginald from Geoffrey de Mandeville.|
|Scelda / Scelga: King's land; Eudo the Steward; Lambert from Geoffrey de Mandeville; Geoffrey de Mandeville; Ely Abbey claims from William, who held it from Geoffrey de Mandeville. Beehive.|
With Hutton in Brentwood suburbs; church in wooded arcade.
|Scenefelda: Roger from Count Eustace.|
Shoebury, North and South
Now the hamlet of North Shoebury and Shoeburyness, both part of Southend-on-Sea.
|Essoberiam Soberia: Bishop of Bayeux; Swein of Essex and Walter from him.|
Farm; row of cottages.
|Scopelanda: Count Eustace. 3 cobs.|
|Scortegrava / Sortegrana: Adelulf from Count Eustace; Robert Gernon. Mill, 11 beehives.|
Watermill; Hawkswood Manor House.
|Haingheham / Hedingham / Hidingham: Warengar from Roger de Raismes; Roger Bigot. Mill.|
|Sonalelant: Nigel from Robert FitzCorbucion. 2 parts of fishery. 2 foals.|
|Smaltuna: Aubrey de Vere.|
|Smedetuna: Raines from Count Eustace.|
Now 2 villages, Kirby and Thorpe-le-Soken, and seaside town of Walton-on-the-Naze.
|Aelduluesnasa: Canons of St. Paul's before and after 1066. 2 mills, 2 salthouses, 4 beehives. 22 cattle, 200 sheep.|
Satellite of Southend; 14th century moated hall.
|Sudcerca: Holy Trinity, Canterbury. 2 fisheries. 4 cobs, 150 sheep, 16 goats.|
Part of Ashingdon.
|Phenbruge: Ely Abbey claims from Reginald the Crossbowman.|
|Haningfelda: Thorold from Bishop of Bayeux.|
|Sudmunstra: Bishop of London. 1700 sheep.|
Large; woods and valleys. Rochetts was the home of Nelson's Admiral Jervis, Lord St. Vincent.
|Walda / Welda: Canons of Waltham before and after 1066; Ralph from Robert Gernon.|
Part of Chelmsford; Roman-bricked Norman church. Oliver Goldsmith lived here.
|Springafelda / -inghefelda: Corp from Robert Gernon; Robert from Ranulf Peverel. Mil, beehive. 2 asses, 14 cobs, 5 foals, 26 cattle.|
Roman-bricked Norman church.
|Stanburna: Hamo the Steward; Geoffrey de Mandeville; Alstran, a freeman, and 12 freemen from Hamo the Steward. Vines, 4 beehives.|
Stanesgate Priory, a Cluniac monastery, of which only 1 wall remains.
|Stanesgata: Ralph FitzBrian from Ranulf Peverel.|
Large church in farmyard.
|Parva Stanfort / Stanfort: Count Eustace. Mill. 40 cattle, 233 sheep, 4 cobs.|
Stanstead Hall, the surviving wing of mansion probably built by Lord Parr, Earl of Essex, in the 16th century.
|Stanesteda: Hubert from Robert Malet. 2 mills, 8 beehives. 26 goats.|
Town. Earmarked as London's 3rd airport; ancient windmill.
|Stanesteda: Robert Gernon. Mill. 16 cattle, 24 goats, 5 asses.|
Called after the'stone-way', used by the Romans en route from Colchester. The Roman-bricked Norman church was a wayside chapel for pilgrims.
|Stanewega: King's land. 3 mills. 260 sheep, 11 cobs.|
|Stapleforda / -fort: St. Edmund's Abbey before and after 1066; Robert Gernon and Nigel from him.|
|Stapleforda / -fort: Siric from Swein of Essex. Mill, 2 beehives.|
Traces of a Roman building beneath the green; enormous castle mound built by Ranulf Peverel.
|Stab- / Stibinga: Henry de Ferrers; Ranulf Peverel. 2 mills, vines, 5 beehives.|
|Horstedafort: Adam son of Durand Malzor.|
In the Blackwater estuary.
|Stepla: King's land; Richard from Eudo the Steward; Henry de Ferrers. 160 sheep.|
Entrenchments of ancient stronghold.
|Bum(m)esteda: Adelulf de Marck from Count Eustace; 1 man-at-arms from Count Alan; Wulfbert from William de Warenne; 3 freemen from Richard FitzGilbert; Tihel de Breton; Leofwin and Leofmer from Richard FitzGilbert. 4 beehives, mill.|
|Stauintuna / Staumtuna / Steintuna: Hervey from Count Alan; Reginald from Aubrey de Vere; Tihel le Breton; Frodo the Abbot; Baldwin's brother. Beehives. 5 cows.|
Roman Samian ware was found here.
|Estinfort / Stiforda / -fort: Barking Abbey; Hugh and FitzThorold from Bishop of Bayeux; Ansger Cook. Church.|
The overlordship was the subject of an 11th century trial between the monks of Canterbury and Bishop Odo, half-brother of the Conqueror.
|Stisteda: Holy Trinity, Canterbury. Mill.|
|Fenna / Fenne / Phenna: Hugh from Geoffrey de Mandeville and Hugh de Verly from him; man-at-arms from Walter the Deacon.|
|Strathala: Hugh from Ely Abbey. Mill, 2 beehives.|
|Estoleia: King's land; Hugh de Montfort.|
|Sturmere: Tihel le Breton. 3 beehives, mill. Foal.|
|Suttuna: Ascelin, Alfith and Roger from Swein of Essex; Theodoric Pointel. 6 beehives. 160 sheep.|