Part of Basildon.
|Legendunda / Leiendina: Bishop of London, formerly Aelfthryth, a woman; Ralph from Bishop of London.|
Church with round towers, one of only 3 known to have been built by Normans.
|Lamers: Ranulf Peverel and Thorold from him; 8 freemen from Thorold. 6 beehives. 7 cobs, 5 foals, 10 cows, 8 calves, 60 goats.|
At edge of ancient forest of Hainault. Elizabethan Lambourne Hall.
|Lamburna: David from Count Eustace.|
Langdon Hills, above Basildon.
|Langenduna: Walter from Swein of Essex.|
Merged with the village of Abberton in 1962.
|Langhou: Count Eustace. Mill, salthouse.|
Mill; Saxon church.
|Langefort / Langheforda: Geoffrey from Ralph Baynard. Mill.|
Constable painted here.
|Laianhagam: Walter Tirel from Richard FitzGilbert. 2 mills. 200 sheep, 80 goats, 22 cattle, 80 pigs.|
|Lacelea: Grim claims from Arnold who holds from Richard FitzGilbert.|
|Lac(h)enduna / Lachentuna / Lessenduna: King's land; Holy Trinity, Canterbury; Humphrey and Wulmer from Hugh de Montfort; Wulfeva wife of Finn. 245 sheep.|
Part of Harlow New Town; medieval church with Roman, Saxon and Norman bricks.
|Lattuna: St. Edmund's Hall; Adelulf from Count Eustace; Thorgils from Peter de Valognes. Church.|
Now 3 hamlets, High, Middle and Magdalen Laver. John Locke the publisher had a library of 4000 books at High Laver in the late 17th century; Roman remains were found at Little Laver.
|Laghefara: Count Eustace and Richard from him; Roger from Ralph de Tosny.|
Merged with Manningtree; Lawford Hall, an Elizabethan manor.
|Laleforda / Leleforda: King's land; Peter de Valognes; Roger de Raismes; Richard FitzGilbert; Waleran from the king, and Bishop of Bayeux and Ralph FitzThorold from him; Ranulf, Hugh de Montfort, Ralph Baynard, Eudo the Steward, Roger, Walter the Deacon and Adelulf from Count Eustace. 2 mills.|
|Lalinga / inge: Holy Trinity, Canterbury; Richard from Eudo the Steward; Ranulf Peverel; 'W' from Robert FitzCorbucion; 3 freemen claim from Monks of Canterbury. Mill, fishery.|
|Laghenberia: Ralph from Bishop of Bayeux.|
Now 2 villages, Breton and de la Haye Layer, and a hamlet, Marnay Layer. Marney Hall was the home of the Marney family, of whom the 1st lord was Keeper of the Privy Seal to Henry VIII.
|Legra: King's land; Roger from Bishop of London, formerly a free woman; Count Eustace; Hugh de Montfort; Thorold from Ranulf Peverel; Sasselin; Modwin. 2 mills, salthouse, 10 beehives. 7 cows, 5 calves, 3 cobs.|
Name derives from long-gone medieval chapel.
|Lea: Canons of St. Paul's.|
Leigh-on-Sea. Fishing; coastal resort.
|Legra: Ranulf Peverel. 4 cows, 5 calves.|
Now Great Leighs village and Little Leighs hamlet. Great Leighs church is one of 6 in Essex with a round tower. Little Leighs Priory, now ruined, was given to Lord Rich after the Dissolution in 1536.
|Leg(r)a: Richard from Eudo the Steward; 'W' from Geoffrey de Mandeville. 2 mills, 11 goats.|
Colchester suburb; gravegoods found here might derive from Cunobelin (Cymbeline).
|Lessendena / Lexsendena: King's land; burgesses of Colchester claim from the Colchester holders.|
Secluded; charming small church.
|Linesela / -seles: St. Valery; Eudo the Steward. Mill, 5 beehives.|
White-boarded mill house near Milford Roman villa site.
|Listuna: Geoffrey Talbot from Hugh de Gournai; Ilbod. Mill, 8 beehives. 3 cows with calves.|
|Baduuer: Lambert from Count Eustace; Germund from Ralph Baynard. Mill. 10 cobs, 53 cattle, 163 sheep.|
Ruins of Little Bentley Hall.
|Benetle(i)a: Hervey of Spain from Count Alan; Roger from Richard FitzGilbert.|
Tudor Braxted Hall with watermill.
|Brac(c)hesteda: Hugolin from Bishop of London. Mill.|
|Brumbele(i)a: Roger from Richard FitzGilbert; man-at-arms from Walter the Deacon. 2 beehives.|
|Burghesteda: Walter from Bishop of London.|
Nestles in ancient Granta valley route; mill house.
|Litelbyria: Ely Abbey before and after 1066. 5 mills, 5 beehives.|
13th century manor house.
|Cestreforda / -e, Cestrefort: Man-at-arms from Walter the Deacon; formerly Queen Edith. Mill, 23 goats.|
Church, one of 5 round churches built in England by the Knights Hospitalers.
|Maple / Mappesteda: Osmund from John FitzWaleran. Mill, 2 cows.|
|Accleia / Aclem: Germund from Ralph Baynard. Fishery.|
|Sanforda: Richard FitzGilbert. Beehive.|
Tudor hall on the site of a lost village.
|Stanbruge: Ralph Baynard from Holy Trinity, Canterbury.|
|Torpeia: Odo from Swein of Essex. 2 beehives. 160 sheep.|
Nearby Hangman's Wood contains 72 pits known as Dane holes.
|T(h)urrucca: Ansketel from Bishop of London; in the king's hand. Fishery.|
Church with pillory.
|Wachelinga: Swein of Essex. Beehive.|
Suburban town on the edge of Epping Forest. Made famous by the 19th century fight of Thomas Willingale for the people's rights to the freedom of the forest.
|Lochetuna / -intuna: Canons of Waltham before and after 1066; 'W' Corbun from Robert Gernon; Ralph from Peter de Valognes; Peter de Valognes. Mill.|