[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?

  • Buckinghamshire N-Z

    Previous | Home | Next

    bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details

    N

    Nashway
    Lesa: Picot from Roger d'Ivry.
    Farm.

    Newport Pagnell
    Neuport: William FitzAnsculf. 2 mills.
    Busy market town. The Great Ouse and River Lovat meet here.

    Newton Longville
    Neutone: Walter Giffard.

    North Marston
    Merstone: Robert from Bishop of Bayeux; Ranulf from Bishop of Coutances; Ranulf and Bernard from William FitzAnsculf; Seric, the pre-Conquest holder, from Miles Crispin.
    Famous for its rector, John Shorne, who worked miracles in the 13th century.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    O

    Oakley
    Achelei: Robert FitzWalter from Robert d'Oilly. Before 1066 Aelfgeth, a girl, held 2 hides and was assigned hide by Godric the Sheriff in exchange for teaching his daughter gold embroidery.

    Olney
    Olnei: Bishop of Coutances. 10 hides. Land for 10 ploughs; in lordship 3 hides; 3 ploughs there. 24 villagers, 5 smallholders, 5 slaves. Mill; meadow; woodland, 400 pigs. Total value 12; before 1066 12. Burgred held this manor.

    Oving
    Olvonge: 2 men-at-arms from Bishop of Coutances.
    Quiet; hilltop; 17th century inn.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    P

    Padbury
    Pateberie: Mainou le Breton. Mill.
    Norbury Camp, an ancient earthwork, is nearby.

    Pitstone
    Pincelestorne / Pincenestorne: Ralph, Bernard, Fulkhold and Thorgils from Count of Mortain; Ralph from Walter Giffard; Roger and Swarting from Miles Crispin.
    Engulfed by cement works. Pitstone windmill is one of England's oldest post-mills.

    Pollicott
    Policote: 2 men-at-arms from Walter Giffard.
    Now 2 hilltop hamlets, Upper and Lower Pollicott.

    Preston Bisset
    Prestone: Ansgot de Rots from Bishop of Bayeux. Mill.

    Princes Risborough
    Riseberge / a: King's land, formerly Earl Harold. 2 mills.
    Market town; earthworks nearby.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    Q

    Quainton
    Chentone: Miles Crispin; Hascoit Musard.

    Quarrendon
    Querendone: Geoffrey de Mandeville, formerly Queen Edith.
    Traces of Civil War earthworks near ruined parish church.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    R

    Radclive
    Radeclive: Fulk from Roger d'Ivry. Mill.
    16th century manor house.

    Ravenstone
    Ravenestone: Hugh from Walter Giffard. Mill.
    All Saints' Church is on the site of an Augustinian priory.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    S

    Salden
    Sceldene: Ralph from Count of Mortain; Leofwin of Nuneham, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king.
    Remote farm.

    Saunderton
    Santesdo(u)ne: Roger from Bishop of Bayeux; Osbert from Miles Crispin. 3 mills.
    3rd century Roman villa site.

    Shabbington
    Sobintone: Miles Crispin. Mill, fishery (100 eels).
    Manor farm.

    Shalstone
    Celdestane / stone: Bishop of Bayeux; Robert from Robert d'Oilly.
    Stone-built cottages; 18th century manor house.

    Click here for details Click here for details

    Shenley Brook End
    Sen(e)lai: Richard the Artificer; Urse de Bercheres.

    Shenley Church End
    Senelai: Hugh from Earl Hugh. Medieval earthworks nearby.

    Sherington
    Serintone: Bishop of Coutances. Mill.
    Large.

    Shipton Lee
    Sibdone: William Peverel; Henry de Ferrers; Alfsi with his wife, from the king.

    Shortley
    Sortelai:
    Lost.

    Simpson
    Sevinestone / Siuuinestone: Bishop of Coutances, formerly Queen Edith; Leofwin Wavre, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king. Mill.

    Singleborough
    Sincleberia: Walter de Bec from Walter Giffard.

    Slapton
    Slapetone: Barking Church.

    Soulbury
    Soleberie: Payne from William FitzAnsculf; Roger from Miles Crispin; Hugh de Beauchamp; Jocelyn le Breton; Azelina, Ralph Tailbois' wife; Godwin the Beadle.

    Southcote
    Sudcote: Sweeting from William FitzConstantine.
    Lost in Stone village.

    Stantonbury
    Stantone: Ralph from Miles Crispin. Mill (50 eels).
    On the outskirts of Milton Keynes.

    Steeple Claydon
    Claindone: Alric Cook from the king.
    Camp Barn is said to have housed Cromwell's soldiers during the Civil War.

    Stewkley
    Stiuelai: William from Bishop of Coutances; Nigel from Miles Crispin.

    Stoke Goldington
    Stoches: An Englishman from Bishop of Coutances; Drogo from William Peverel.

    Stoke Hammond
    Stoches: Mainou le Breton. Mill.
    Large.

    Stoke Mandeville
    Stoches: Bishop of Lincoln. Mill.
    Famous for its paraplegics hospital. Earthworks mark the site of the old manor house.

    Stoke Poges
    Stoches: Walter from William FitzAnsculf. Mill.
    Thomas Gray's poem 'Elegy in a Country Churchyard' immortalized this village.

    Stone
    Stanes: Helto from Bishop of Bayeux; Gilbert from Robert de Tosny.
    A Roman pottery kiln was excavated nearby.

    Stowe
    Stou: Robert d'Oilly and Roger d'Ivry from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Stowe House, public school, with 18th century gardens landscaped by Capability Brown, James Gibbs and William Kent.

    Swanbourne
    Soeneberno / berie / berne / borne: King's land, formerly Earl Harold; Ralph and Aelmer from Count of Mortain; William from Walter Giffard; Payne from William FitzAnsculf; Geoffrey de Mandeville.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    T

    Taplow
    Thapeslau: Roger from Bishop of Bayeux. Fishery (1,000 eels).
    A Saxon burial mound yielded a rich hoard in 1883.

    Tetchwick
    Tochingeuuiche: Payne from William Peverel.

    Thornborough
    Torneberge: Berner from Mainou le Breton. Mill.
    2 Roman burial mounds near 14th century Thornborough Bridge.

    Click here for details Click here for details

    Thornton
    Ternitone: Godfrey from Roger d'Ivry. Mill.
    Stone-built.

    Tickford
    Ticheforde: William FitzAnsculf.
    Tickford Abbey.

    Tingewick
    Tedinwiche: Ilbert de Lacy from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Roman villa nearby.

    Turville
    Tilleberie: Roger from Nigel d'Aubigny.
    Pretty; windmill.

    Turweston
    Turvestone: William de Feugeres.

    Twyford
    Tueverde / Tuiforde: Ralph de Feugeres.

    Tyringham
    Te(d)lingham: Ansketel from Bishop of Coutances; Acard from William FitzAnsculf.
    18th century Tyringham House in parkland.

    Tythorp
    Duchitorp: Ilbert de Lacy and Wadard from Bishop of Bayeux.
    17th century mansion near Kingsey village.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    U

    Upper Winchendon
    Winchendone: The Canons of Oxford before and after 1066.
    Adjoins Waddesdon Manor.

    Upton
    Opetone: King's land, formerly Earl Harold; Robert from William Peverel; Alric from Miles Crispin. Mill, fishery (1,000 eels).
    Ancient; absorbed by Slough.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    W

    Waddesdon
    Votesdone: Miles Crispin. Mill.
    Ferdinand de Rothschild, owner of Waddesdon Manor, rebuilt the village in the 19th century.

    Waldridge
    Wa(l)druge: Helto from Bishop of Bayeux; Swarting from Geoffrey de Mandeville.
    Waldridge Manor.

    Wanden
    Wandene:
    Lost.

    Water Eaton
    Etone: Bishop of Coutances. Mill.

    Water Stratford
    Stradford: Thurstan from Robert d'Oilly. Mill.

    Wavendon
    Wau(u)endone: Ralph, Walter and Humphrey from Count of Mortain; Anselm from Hugh de Bolbec; Godwin the priest from Leofwin; Leofwin Cave from the king.

    Wendover
    Wendoure / ovre: King's land; 3 men from the king. 2 mills.
    Market town. Oliver Cromwell stayed at the Red Lion in 1642.

    Westbury
    Westberie: Roger from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Grey stone.

    Westbury (by Shenley)
    Westberie: Payne from Roger d'Ivry. 2 mills.
    Westbury Farm.

    Weston Turville
    Westone: Bishop of Lisieux and Roger from Bishop of Bayeux. 4 mills.
    The 18th century manor house is in the outer bailey of a Norman castle, near a moat and motte.

    Weston Underwood
    Westone: Bishop of Coutances; Ivo from Count of Mortain; Ansketel from Countess Judith.
    Beautiful; golden stone cottages. 18th century poet William Cowper stayed here.

    West Wycombe
    Wicumbe: Walkelin, Bishop of Winchester. 19 hides. Land for 23 ploughs; in lordship 5 hides; 3 ploughs there. 27 villagers, 8 smallholders, 7 slaves. 3 mills; fishery, 1,000 eels; meadow; woodland. Value 15; TRE 12. This manor supplies the monks of the Church of Winchester.

    Whaddon
    Wadone: Walter Giffard.
    Hilltop; 19th century Whaddon Hall.

    Whaddon (in Slapton)
    Wadone: Roger from Bishop of Bayeux; Hugh de Bolbec.
    Whaddon Farm.

    Click here for details Click here for details

    Whitchurch
    Wicherce: Hugh de Bolbec from Walter Giffard.
    Large; earthworks of Bolbec castle. The artist Rex Whistler lived at Bolbec House.

    Wing
    Witehunge: Count of Mortain.
    Large; Anglo-Saxon church; Castle Hill; motte of a Norman castle.

    Wingrave
    Wit(h)ungraue: Alan from Count of Mortain; Nigel, Thurstan and Aelmer from Miles Crispin; Wibald from Gunfrid de Chocques.
    Enlarged by Hannah Rothschild in the 19th century.

    Winslow
    Weneslai: St. Alban's Abbey.
    Country town built around a market square.

    Wolverton
    Wluerintone: Mainou le Breton. 2 mills.
    Railway town. The old village of Wolverton lies to the west.

    Wooburn
    Waborne: Walter from Bishop of Lincoln formerly Earl Harold. 8 mills, fishery (300 eels).

    Worminghall
    Wermelle: Bishop of Coutances, formerly Wulward's wife from Queen Edith.
    Thatched cottages.

    Wotton Underwood
    Oltone: Walter Giffard.
    18th century Wotton House, set in parkland.

    Woughton
    Ulchestone: Ralph from Count of Mortain; Martin.
    Round a green; near Milton Keynes.

    Wraysbury
    Wirecesberie: Robert Gernon. 2 mills, hay for the cattle of the court, 4 fisheries.
    Thames-side; flanked by flooded gravel pits.

    Previous | Top | Home | Next

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2013 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved