[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • External Links

  • Royal Berkshire History

  • Berkshire A-C

    Previous | Home | Next

    bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    A

    Aldermaston
    Eldermanestone: King's land. Mill, 2 fisheries, church.
    Church has Norman features.

    Aldworth
    Elleorde: Theodoric the Goldsmith.
    The effigies of the former holders, the Flemish de la Beche family who accompanied William I in 1066, are in the church.

    Appleford
    Apleford: Abingdon Abbey; Robert from the Abbey. 2 mills, fishery.

    Appleton
    Apletone: Richard from Miles Crispin; Berner, the king's thane, from Bishop of Bayeux. Fishery.
    Manor house from 1100s.

    Ardington
    Ardintone: Robert d'Oilly. 3 mills.

    Ashbury
    Eissesberie: Glastonbury Abbey; Robert d'Oilly, Alwin and Edward from the Abbey. 2 mills, church.
    Iron Age barrow nearby.

    Aston Tirrold
    Estone: King's land; Abbey of Preaux from Count of Mortain. Church.
    Church has Saxon and Norman features.

    Aston Upthorpe
    Estone: Reinbald the Priest, formerly Aelfeva, a free woman.

    Avington
    Avintone: Richard Poynant. Mill.
    Norman church.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    B

    Bagnor
    Bagenore: Humphrey the Chamberlain. Mill.
    Stone Age axe-heads found here.

    Barcote
    Lierecote: Alfsi of Faringdon from the king.
    Barcote Manor House.

    Barkham
    Bercheham: King's land.
    Barkham Manor; Barkham Square.

  • Barkham local history site

    Barton
    Bertune:
    Lost.

    Basildon
    Bastedene: King's land; formerly Aethelfeva, a free woman. 2 priests hold 2 churches. Mill.
    Near the site of a Roman villa.

    Bayworth
    Baiorde: Askell and Gilbert from Abingdon Abbey.

    Beckett
    Becote: Count of Evreux.
    Beckett House.

    Beedon
    Bedene: Walter de la Riviere from Abingdon Abbey.
    Beedon House.

    Benham
    Ben(e)ham: Walter de la Riviere from Abingdon Abbey; Humphrey Visdeloup; Wigar, the king's thane.
    Benham Park.

    Bessels Leigh
    Leie: William from Abingdon Abbey.
    William Lenthall, Speaker of the House of Commons during Charles I's reign, lived here.

    Betterton
    Bedretone: King's land; William from Miles Crispin. Mill.
    Betterton House.

    Bisham
    Bistesham: Henry de Ferrers. Church, vines.
    Church has a Norman Tower. Bisham Abbey originally was a 14th century priory.

    Blewbury
    Blidberie: King's land; church held by William Beaufour; Count of Evreux. Mill.
    Iron Age hill-fort on Blewburton Hill.

    Bockhampton
    Bochentone: Ralph the earl's son; Odo and Edward, king's thanes. Mill.
    Bockhampton Farm.

    Boxford
    Bochesorne: Berner from Abingdon Abbey; Humphrey Visdeloup and Aelfric and Aelmer from him. Mill, church.
    Still has a mill.

    Bradfield
    Bradefelt: William FitzAnsculf. 3 mills.
    Bradfield School.

    Bray
    Brai: King's land. 18 hides; no tax. 56 villagers, 7 smallholders, 4 slaves; 25 ploughs. Church; meadow; woodland. Value, 17.

    Brightwalton
    Bristoldestone: Battle Abbey, formerly Earl Harold. Church.
    Skeletons of Roundheads and Royalists found in the inn's garden.

    Brightwell
    Bricsteuuelle: Bishop of Winchester, formerly Bishop Stigand. Mill.
    Brightwell Barrow. Castle stood where Brightwell Manor is until 1153.

    Brimpton
    Brintone: Robert FitzGerald; Ralph de Mortimer. 2 churches, 3 mills, dairy.
    The Knight's Templar once held the chapel.

    Buckland
    Bocheland(e): Bishop of Exeter; Abingdon Abbey; Count of Evreux. fishery.
    Buckland House.

    Bucklebury
    Boche(l)deberie: King's land; Count of Evreux; Walter FitzOthere; Hugolin the Steersman. Mill, church.
    Church with Norman carvings.

    Burghfield
    Borgefel(le): Henry de Ferrers; man-at-arms from Ralph de Mortimer. Mill, church, fishery.
    Part Norman church. Held by de Burghfield family until 1327.

    Buscot
    Boroardescote: Robert, Drogo and Randulf from Earl Hugh; formerly Earl Harold [the former King]. Fishery.
    On Thames; Buscot House. Church with Norman chancel arch.

  • bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    C

    Calcot
    Colecote:
    Lost.

    Carswell
    Chersvelle:
    Lost.

    Catmore
    Catmere: Henry from Henry de Ferrers.
    Norman chapel.

    Caversham
    Caueres / Cavesham: Walter Giffard.
    Caversham Bridge crosses the Thames. Site of a duel between Henry of Essex and Robert de Montfort in 1100s.

    Chaddleworth
    Cedeledorde: Winchester Abbey; Robert d'Oilly.
    Poughley Priory once stood here, with land granted by Cardinal Wolsey to the Abbot of Westminster.

    Charlton
    Cerletone: King's land; Robert from Henry de Ferrers; Geoffrey from William FitzCorbucion; Drogo from Ralph de Tosny; Malmesbury Abbey.
    Suburb of Wantage.

    Charney Bassett
    Cernei: Abingdon Abbey and Warin from the Abbey.
    Cherbury Camp, allegedly one of King Cnut's strongholds.

    Chieveley
    Civelei: Abingdon Abbey; William and Godfrey from the Abbey.

    Childrey
    Celrea: William FitzRichard and Godfrey from him; Roger de Lacy; Roger from Thurstan FitzRolf. Mill, church.
    A Roman villa stood nearby.

    Chilton
    Ciltone: Wynric from Abingdon Abbey; Walter FitzOthere.
    Near atomic research centre.

    Cholsey
    Celsea / sei: King's land; Richard Poynant, Gilbert and Hervey from the him. Church held by Abbey of Mont St. Michel.
    Partly Norman church. Once possessed an abbey built by Aethelred the Unready, destroyed by Vikings.

    Clapcot
    Clopecote:
    Lost.

    Clewer
    Clivore: Ralph FitzSiegfried, TRE Earl Harold [the former King]. Windsor Castle, mill.
    No longer has the castle.

    Coleshill
    Coles(h)elle: Abbess of Winchester (granted by Walter de Lacy for his daughter to become a nun); William FitzRichard; Thurstan FitzRolf; Roger de Lacy; William Leofric. Mill.
    17th century Coleshill House.

    Compton
    Contone: King's land; Henry de Ferrers holds woodland; Bishop of Coutances.
    Perborough Castle, an ancient stronghold.

    Compton Beauchamp
    Contone: William FitzAnsculf. Church.
    At one time Compton Regis after its owner, Edward the Confessor.

    Cookham
    Cocheham: King's land. 2 mills, 2 fisheries, market.
    On the Thames. Site of Saxon Witenagemot meeting. Partly Norman church.

    Crookham
    Crocheham: Alfwy Chafersbeard, king's thane, now and pre-Conquest.
    Crookham House.

    Cumnor
    Comenor: Abingdon Abbey; Osbern and Reginald from the Abbey.
    Cumnor Place.

    Curridge
    Coserige: St. Pierre-sur-Dives Abbey.

    Previous | Top | Home | Next

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2013 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved